PDA

View Full Version : Attika | 18 fl |Approved

Pages : [1] 2

LeadingEdgeBoomer
Jun 4, 2011, 11:17 AM
My apolgies if this proposal has already been mentioned in another thread. if it is , I can not seem to find it.

Anyways another proposal for a tall building to rival the Soho Italia project, but with a Greek name. What thinkest thou?

By Joanne Chianello, Ottawa CitizenJune 4, 2011 4:08 AM

They want to build it 36 storeys high and call it Attika.

Tega Homes is proposing a two-building development at the northwest corner of Parkdale Avenue and Armstrong Street in Hintonburg. One of those buildings would be a 36-storey tower that, if approved, would be the tallest building in the city, with some spectacular views of the Ottawa River and the Gatineau Hills.

The name is a sentimental suggestion by Tega's Greek-born CEO, Spyros Dimitrakopoulos. Attica is the province where Athens is located, but the boss's colleagues convinced him to change the "c" to a "k" so as to distance it from the infamous prison, not the usual association one looks for in a luxury condo development.

The Ottawa home builder is working with the property owner, who controls the entire block except for one small parcel: the corner occupied by the popular Carleton Tavern. Beer lovers can rest easy, however, as there are no plans to remove or redevelop the tavern. Instead, the 300,000 square-foot development is being planned around the Carleton Tavern, which, with a skinny soaring tower behind it, promises to become a true historic quirk in the quickly intensifying and gentrifying neighbourhood.

But whether it will be built as currently designed is far from settled.

Local residents aren't too happy with the height -which is more than four times the current eight-storey limit -and local politicians are questioning the validity of the developer's demands for more sellable space.

The issue is one of contamination.

The land under the site is chock full of VOCs -volatile organic compounds -at exponentially higher levels than provincial guidelines allow, due to a no-longer-used light industrial building that has been there for decades.

Tega is proposing to undertake the daunting task of cleaning up the contamination, which has spread beyond the site and under neighbouring homes. According to an independent appraisal, decontamination will take eight or nine months and require excavating 18 metres of bedrock and collecting and treating the groundwater. Even after the project is completed, a mechanism will have to be put in place to handle any residual contamination in the groundwater.

All this will cost $12 million.

The city has a "brownfield" program to help cover the costs of cleaning up contaminated land. The city is prepared to pay half of the expenses or, in this case, $6 million. But Tega says that for the development to be economically viable with the cleanup costs, it needs 50-percent more sellable space than called for in a recently approved local design plan.

In other words, instead of 200,000 square feet, Tega requires 300,000.

It's this assertion by Tega that Councillor Peter Hume isn't buying, characterizing it as an issue that is altogether separate from heights.

"We are prepared to put money on the table to provide an incentive to get builders to develop brownfields -and it's not an insignificant contribution," said Hume, who chairs council's planning committee. "Now they're saying we have to give them more density for doing the right thing?"

Hume pointed out that the fact the land was contaminated would have been built into the land's cost. He added that other developers have been able to build on previously contaminated land without asking for huge increases in sellable floor space.

"I don't want to send a signal that if you're going to clean up a site, we're going to let you build a 30-or 40-storey building," said Hume. "That's not a justification for more density."

As the proposed development is near both the Tunney's Pasture transit station and the federal government complex of the same name, it falls under the city's guidelines for intensification. Hume, who chairs council's planning committee, agreed that there are good reasons to zone it for more than the called for eight storeys.

But most are finding 36 storeys hard to swallow.

The company met with some members of the community on Thursday night and said the exchange was cordial and that residents "asked some very intelligent questions," but admitted that the locals were not in support of the record-setting height.

The proposed condo development, designed by architect David Blakely, would sit on a two-storey podium that would house retail shops and perhaps a restaurant. There'd be a six-level underground garage, seeing as Tega would have dug that huge hole for the decontamination, which would allow one parking spot for each of the planned 286 units.

An eight-storey building is planned for the western side of the site, while the 36-storey tower would sit on the eastern edge, along Parkdale. With a floorplate of about 7,000 square feet, the highrise would be relatively slender. There would be some open space between the two residential buildings.

This design was the third go-round with city planners, said Dimitrakopoulos. Tega originally proposed shorter, but broader, structures. City staff preferred a thinner, taller building that would let more light and air through the structure, as well as cast a narrower shadow on neighbouring properties.

Tega is also prepared to donate a "community benefit" for the extra height. Dimitrakopoulos is suggesting $500,000 in subsidies to artists who might be interested in using third-floor condos as residences and studios.

"In case that doesn't work out, we're prepared to offer the money directly toward another community benefit," said the company CEO.

But already, Kitchissippi Councillor Katherine Hobbs is saying that isn't nearly enough money.

"We will be seeking a significant community benefit," she said Friday from Victoria, B.C. "I would think we'd be looking for at least $1 million."

Hobbs suggested the money could go toward establishing the Hintonburg Hub, a project to bring medical and social services, as well as affordable housing, under one roof. But she added that there are too many issues still to be worked out to make any definitive statements.

"Right now I don't know what to think about the 36 storeys," said Hobbs. "I think it's high, that's for sure."

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Fraser
Jun 4, 2011, 12:03 PM
That's awfully ambitious on Tega's part. They've primarily been limited to low-rise condo buildings and high-end townhomes. Given their design output, I'm a little concerned.

cityguy
Jun 4, 2011, 12:21 PM
36 floors seems a little high for that area.

c_speed3108
Jun 4, 2011, 12:53 PM
I'm normally the first one on here to cheer height, height, height, but this proposal sounds a bit bizarre and out of place for the area.

McC
Jun 4, 2011, 1:07 PM
if it was the northwest corner of Parkdale and Scott, (and part of a plan to develop the whole west side of Parkdale) I might be okay with this, but 36 stories on Parkdale behind the Carleton is reediculous!

Harley613
Jun 4, 2011, 1:10 PM
they're tearing down the carleton?? one of the few bars where my dad had some wild nights as a young man and so did I when I was a young man haha. i think it's a good location for that kind of height...there's already some high profile in Tunny's and there a few midrise and highrise residentials in the area. it could anchor a nice little area of high density. so many crappy blocks in hintonburg, it could use some serious gentrification in the form of new build and infill...not much to work with in the old buildings.

m0nkyman
Jun 4, 2011, 1:17 PM
Without seeing the actual design render, I'll reserve judgement, but I do tend to agree that Tega Homes is not the builder I'd choose for a new highest. They are better known for non-descript low rises like Centropolis. Given that they weren't able to put together a full block land assembly for the project leads me to think that they don't really have the chops for it as well.

McC
Jun 4, 2011, 1:33 PM
they're tearing down the carleton??

The article says that the Carleton stays

waterloowarrior
Jun 4, 2011, 1:44 PM
Considering the reception The Artisan got I don't know how far this will get
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=180638

Ottawan
Jun 4, 2011, 9:58 PM
This is wrong, wrong, wrong. The height/density in itself isn't the problem to me (that will surprise few on this board), it is the elimination of what must be heritage industrial buildings. The actual site where the Artisan had been proposed is appropriate for development in my opinion, but the rest of that block contains one of few remnants of Ottawa's industrial past - buildings which complement the unique district that is contained between Parkdale and Holland, Wellington and Scott.

The Parkdale Market Lofts (immediately to the north of this proposed development, accross Spencer) incorporated/converted a portion of industrial warehousing into heritage lofts attached to a new condo tower. IMO that would be the most appropriate form of development on this site as well.

S-Man
Jun 5, 2011, 3:18 PM
Agree with McC, waterloowarrior and Fraser completely.

Tega Homes? Have they ever built a concrete building over 4 storeys? Not saying they can't, but usually developers build up their projects over time.

When I visualized the location, I though 'Why couldn't this be moved a bit north to a Tunney's Pasture parcel, or to Bayview, both of which are close and would actually have a chance of being built?' When that Artisan project or whatever it was called came out, the community seemed willing to accept 8 storeys, but 9 storeys 'would overwhelm the community and be totally unacceptable'.

I don't have to guess their reaction to this!

HintonburgCA
Jun 5, 2011, 7:48 PM
The HCA is formulating its response, but thousands of hours over several years have gone in to developing both a Neighbourhood Planning Initiative and the just-passed Community Design Plan, both with City buy-in. If this were ever approved, the City could probably never in good faith suggest a community consultation again - it would simply be a bald-faced lie that it has any interest in holistic planning. What will probably trip this project up - if it's not financing again like the last overly-ambitious crew who couldn't match their plans with actual lenders - will be the Official Plan. We worked hard several years ago to incorporate a clause in the plan that says height increases in Mixed Use Centres have to be gradual from the edge in. The immediate neighbours across Parkdale are an area of two-story homes. These guys will need an Official Plan amendment, and I don't like their chances. It's an ad hoc proposal out of context with anything either going on in the neighbourhood right now or with long-term planning that has community, developer, and City buy-in.

One of these days, an experienced builder with the resources to match plans for "iconic and brash" development with actual world-leading architects will come along and be able to find financing for their project and political support. Then we'll be f&%ed. This, obviously, is not that builder.

reidjr
Jun 5, 2011, 8:14 PM
The HCA is formulating its response, but thousands of hours over several years have gone in to developing both a Neighbourhood Planning Initiative and the just-passed Community Design Plan, both with City buy-in. If this were ever approved, the City could probably never in good faith suggest a community consultation again - it would simply be a bald-faced lie that it has any interest in holistic planning. What will probably trip this project up - if it's not financing again like the last overly-ambitious crew who couldn't match their plans with actual lenders - will be the Official Plan. We worked hard several years ago to incorporate a clause in the plan that says height increases in Mixed Use Centres have to be gradual from the edge in. The immediate neighbours across Parkdale are an area of two-story homes. These guys will need an Official Plan amendment, and I don't like their chances. It's an ad hoc proposal out of context with anything either going on in the neighbourhood right now or with long-term planning that has community, developer, and City buy-in.

One of these days, an experienced builder with the resources to match plans for "iconic and brash" development with actual world-leading architects will come along and be able to find financing for their project and political support. Then we'll be f&%ed. This, obviously, is not that builder.

You could have the worlds best architect come have great plans for a 30 floor building but people would still be aginst it because of the height.

m0nkyman
Jun 5, 2011, 9:18 PM
You could have the worlds best architect come have great plans for a 30 floor building but people would still be aginst it because of the height.

The HCA isn't known for being overly NIMBY, so that's a cheap shot. They're not the Glebe.

reidjr
Jun 5, 2011, 9:47 PM
The HCA isn't known for being overly NIMBY, so that's a cheap shot. They're not the Glebe.

Its not a cheap shot just look around the city no matter where it is it there will be some upset look in orleans people are all up in arms about a 8 floor building thats just one exzample.

HintonburgCA
Jun 5, 2011, 10:20 PM

I'm not so sure. The Mixed Use Centre that we all bought into goes from Scott to Wellington. We were careful to ask for - and get - a transition in the Official Plan. If the project were sensitive to that transition requirement by being toward the Scott St. side of the Mixed Use Centre, with a gradual building of height from the south to north, and closer to the centre of the zone from Parkdale/Holland, it might fly. The transition could reasonably start with 8 storey buildings along Parkdale with appropriate setbacks. The seven-storey KRP building, for example, at Spencer doesn't intrude on the Parkdale sidewalk. The developer was good working with us on the garage entrances and some design features to minimize the big wall along Parkdale. I don't think it's had an overly negative impact on the neighbouring two-storey houses (personal opinion). We didn't oppose that development. Mixed Use Centres are going to be dense, after all.

You can certainly see how things could swoop up towards Scott/Holland without a huge impact on Hintonburg visually or in terms of overwhelming the nearby residential areas if it's sensitively treated. Personally, and not on behalf of my association, I could see something like this where the Beer Store is or the lot immediately to the east, with a transition back down to eight storeys along Parkdale.

Traffic studies will be interesting. Parkdale and Wellington are both already choked during peak periods, including the weekend when the Market is in operation. The only viable access in and out will be on Spencer via Holland, which rules out easy Queensway access. That's probably not a big deal, though, if people are using Holland/Scott to get downtown or to Hull during weekday peak periods. From a traffic perspective, though, the closer to Holland/Scott the better with respect to traffic patterns.

S-Man
Jun 5, 2011, 11:53 PM
That's a much more detailed, rationale response than we're used to from other community associations in Ottawa (*cough* Glebe, Westboro.....).

I'd like to see this (or something like it - ideally with UNBELIEVABLY GOOD architecture) built somewhere in this city in the Tunney's-Bayview-City Centre area. You'd think Tego would go mid-rise in this spot before eyeing a more viable parcel in a couple of years (assuming the aforementioned lands ever get put for sale).

reidjr
Jun 6, 2011, 12:08 AM
I'm not so sure. The Mixed Use Centre that we all bought into goes from Scott to Wellington. We were careful to ask for - and get - a transition in the Official Plan. If the project were sensitive to that transition requirement by being toward the Scott St. side of the Mixed Use Centre, with a gradual building of height from the south to north, and closer to the centre of the zone from Parkdale/Holland, it might fly. The transition could reasonably start with 8 storey buildings along Parkdale with appropriate setbacks. The seven-storey KRP building, for example, at Spencer doesn't intrude on the Parkdale sidewalk. The developer was good working with us on the garage entrances and some design features to minimize the big wall along Parkdale. I don't think it's had an overly negative impact on the neighbouring two-storey houses (personal opinion). We didn't oppose that development. Mixed Use Centres are going to be dense, after all.

You can certainly see how things could swoop up towards Scott/Holland without a huge impact on Hintonburg visually or in terms of overwhelming the nearby residential areas if it's sensitively treated. Personally, and not on behalf of my association, I could see something like this where the Beer Store is or the lot immediately to the east, with a transition back down to eight storeys along Parkdale.

Traffic studies will be interesting. Parkdale and Wellington are both already choked during peak periods, including the weekend when the Market is in operation. The only viable access in and out will be on Spencer via Holland, which rules out easy Queensway access. That's probably not a big deal, though, if people are using Holland/Scott to get downtown or to Hull during weekday peak periods. From a traffic perspective, though, the closer to Holland/Scott the better with respect to traffic patterns.

I have to give you credit for such a detailed reply with my last post it was not mean to to be a cheap shot its just over and over people are aginst projects etc its great to see your group is very open minded.

HintonburgCA
Jun 6, 2011, 12:15 AM
That's a much more detailed, rationale response than we're used to from other community associations in Ottawa (*cough* Glebe, Westboro.....).

I'd like to see this (or something like it - ideally with UNBELIEVABLY GOOD architecture) built somewhere in this city in the Tunney's-Bayview-City Centre area. You'd think Tego would go mid-rise in this spot before eyeing a more viable parcel in a couple of years (assuming the aforementioned lands ever get put for sale).

I think that's the problem. There's this juicy parcel of land next to the Parkdale Park, and it's brutally contaminated. So, the owners seem to keep trying to cash in. No credible developer will touch it - they know they simply can't develop the land with enough height to make it economical. Our friends at Ashcroft and Minto have more sense than to propose a 36-storey tower next to two-storey singles and doubles. There's OMB battles where you can roll over community opposition, and then there's 36 storeys in the face of a series of consensus plan about how this land should be developed. So, first we get the Artisan guys - and you remember how warm and fuzzy they were - and now this. You'd be amazed at how much work is done on a volunteer basis in Hintonburg day in and day out on development issues. When there's credible proposals, like the Currents building, the KRP building, the new Domicile condos at Holland, even the new HUB proposal that will bring more affordable housing to the community and will most certainly require additional height, we roll up our sleeves, work through concerns, and get the job done. But that's all volunteer hours. I really, really wish the city were more proactive about nipping crap like this proposal in the bud instead of making us jump through the hoops. The owners here need to be told in no uncertain terms that their next partners had better not be another one of these fiascos. The land value there is, one of these days, going to make development within the envelope viable. In the meantime, they're going to have to be patient.

Lloyd
Jun 9, 2011, 2:50 PM
Found an image with the article [by Joanne Chianello, Ottawa Citizen June 4, 2011] from above, at http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx . It certainly stands out.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Jun 9, 2011, 2:59 PM
Found an image with the article [by Joanne Chianello, Ottawa Citizen June 4, 2011] from above, at http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx . It certainly stands out.

On the Citizen site there's no image. :shrug:

EDIT: I found it on that press site you linked. It actually looks kinda nice since it actually has a definable top instead of just "ending".

McC
Jun 9, 2011, 3:26 PM

that link didn't work for me, but try: http://digital.montrealgazette.com/epaper/viewer.aspx?issue=11312011060400000000001001&page=1&article=7373e214-5002-4fb7-9fa1-74974746eda4&key=2Ho5qyD59r8ExByRFlF69Q==&feed=rss

a good looking building in an inappropriate location still makes for a bad building in my books

Davis137
Jun 9, 2011, 3:42 PM
Actually has a lot of design cues from the Minto Metropole, judging by that rendering alone...

I think it would be even better situated on the block between Bullman street and Scott though. Even a building that's 20 floors in that location would look great...

citizen j
Jun 9, 2011, 5:21 PM
As usual, the discussion will end up focusing on the wrong thing (i.e., size). Sure, Ottawa needs to get over its gag reflex and learn how to swallow 36 storeys. But the real problem is the way the building interacts (or, in this case, doesn't interact) with the street. There is WAY too much blank wall facing the sidewalk near the main entrance in that rendering. So, whether it's 8 storeys or 36, this design needs a do-over.

YOWflier
Jun 9, 2011, 6:51 PM
http://cache2-thumb1.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/docserver/getimage.aspx?regionguid=f4c11901-4b05-41d6-a9cd-edb02f7e93d7&scale=131&file=11312011060400000000001001&regionKey=XXLkc1QIKAQN8vhK0mWnaQ%3d%3d

eternallyme
Jun 9, 2011, 7:16 PM
I see no reason why it can't be approved. It is very close to high-quality transit service and would not have any significant interference on the Peace Tower views...

I'd love to see some 50+ storey buildings in Ottawa (corporate headquarters relocating) but a new site (Hurdman perhaps?) would be necessary for them.

gjhall
Jun 9, 2011, 8:11 PM
As usual, the discussion will end up focusing on the wrong thing (i.e., size). Sure, Ottawa needs to get over its gag reflex and learn how to swallow 36 storeys. But the real problem is the way the building interacts (or, in this case, doesn't interact) with the street. There is WAY too much blank wall facing the sidewalk near the main entrance in that rendering. So, whether it's 8 storeys or 36, this design needs a do-over.

Um, if you look carefully, the only part of the ground floor in that shot that the developer owns is left side where the trees are on the sidewalk, which I believe is were they will retain the Orange gallery? The rest of the front is on the right side is the Carleton Tavern and another building (kids clothing store?) which isn't part of the development.

The lot for this, afterall is an L shape, so the frontages on Parkdale, Hamilton and Spencer would be the unknowns from this drawing...

Perhaps we all better look before we jump here...

ServiceGuy
Jun 9, 2011, 9:23 PM
I can't see a high rise unknown like Tega being the first to take the Ottawa's Tallest title from Campeau and especially with the 12 million dollar abatement costs. I think someone will build a new tallest in Ottawa but I would expect it to come from an experienced high rise builder like Claridge, Charlesfort, Urban Capital, or perhaps a commercial tower. Mastercraft (SOHO) is also trying but they have yet to cash out on a single SOHO project and may be biting off more than they can chew in the unlikely case it should be approved.

S-Man
Jun 9, 2011, 10:17 PM
I like the top of that building. And the colour? Kryptonite!

Ottawan
Jun 10, 2011, 12:27 AM
Um, if you look carefully, the only part of the ground floor in that shot that the developer owns is left side where the trees are on the sidewalk, which I believe is were they will retain the Orange gallery? The rest of the front is on the right side is the Carleton Tavern and another building (kids clothing store?) which isn't part of the development.

The lot for this, afterall is an L shape, so the frontages on Parkdale, Hamilton and Spencer would be the unknowns from this drawing...

However you look they're destroying alot of what should be considered heritage. This on top of a building design that doesn't match it's surroundings - if it took more cues from the Parkdale Lofts, I'd be much happier. I'm definitely afraid of another horrible teal glass building, which from this rendering is certainly possible.

citizen j
Jun 10, 2011, 1:52 AM

So that big blank wall isn't theirs? Alright, I reserve judgment until I see more podium details. I'm not in love with the design as is, but I think something like it (if not this actual tower) is inevitable here. This neighbourhood, like many pre-war inner suburbs, is going to see increasing pressure to accommodate development on this scale. I keep wondering how long it's going to take that surface parking lot at the Montreal Road end of the Cummings Bridge to disappear under a high-density redevelopment.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Jun 10, 2011, 5:07 AM
This development needs some more info before I pass full judgement on it, but it would fit in rather nicely IF Tunney's Pasture was more dense and developed in height. The feds keep promising to do that, but we never see any progress. Typical.

Harley613
Jun 10, 2011, 1:56 PM
less likely to see any new fed construction there than ever...what with harper planning to shrink the private sector through retiree attrition

reidjr
Jun 10, 2011, 2:20 PM
less likely to see any new fed construction there than ever...what with harper planning to shrink the private sector through retiree attrition

I don't know if thats really true how many new office buildings have been built in the last 20 years very few now we have 3 uc in gatineau 1 uc in downtown and 1 in the train yards.

McC
Jun 10, 2011, 3:49 PM
I don't know if thats really true how many new office buildings have been built in the last 20 years very few
really?
3 phases of Constitution Square, Minto Phase3, the CBC building, 131 Queen, the BMO building on Laurier, The new EDC building (still under construction but now almost complete, and I'm going to assume your downtown u/c is the Lorne replacement)...

that's just downtown, and just off the top of my head, and I can think of 8 substantial office buildings, mostly filled with public servants. The PS has ballooned in the past ten years, and that growth phase is now over. We may not see much contraction (I think this government is more talk than walk) but we'll definitely see curtailed growth.

Admiral Nelson
Jun 10, 2011, 4:01 PM
that's just downtown, and just off the top of my head, and I can think of 8 substantial office buildings, mostly filled with public servants. The PS has ballooned in the past ten years, and that growth phase is now over. We may not see much contraction (I think this government is more talk than walk) but we'll definitely see curtailed growth.

We'll see lots of growth in "Federal Protective Services" at the expense of the rest of the PS.

McC
Jun 10, 2011, 4:03 PM

But with the housing market still so hot on the West Side, and the feds looking for funds, now would be a real good time for the feds to consider selling off un-used lands like those on the west sides of Parkdale and Banting in Tunney's Pasture for private development.

reidjr
Jun 10, 2011, 5:01 PM
really?
3 phases of Constitution Square, Minto Phase3, the CBC building, 131 Queen, the BMO building on Laurier, The new EDC building (still under construction but now almost complete, and I'm going to assume your downtown u/c is the Lorne replacement)...

I think there is a difference in terms of new buildings between the gov funding it from the start and a building beeing built then the gov moves in.I maybe wrong but the edc/minto 131 queen were not known from the start they would house gov workers while the building under construction now it is known they will be gov buildings.

gjhall
Jun 10, 2011, 6:46 PM
I think there is a difference in terms of new buildings between the gov funding it from the start and a building beeing built then the gov moves in.I maybe wrong but the edc/minto 131 queen were not known from the start they would house gov workers while the building under construction now it is known they will be gov buildings.

131 Queen was purpose built PPP for Parliament swing space during renovation/reconstruction on the Hill.

gjhall
Jun 10, 2011, 6:47 PM
But with the housing market still so hot on the West Side, and the feds looking for funds, now would be a real good time for the feds to consider selling off un-used lands like those on the west sides of Parkdale and Banting in Tunney's Pasture for private development.

Definitely agree with you here.

reidjr
Jun 10, 2011, 6:49 PM
131 Queen was purpose built PPP for Parliament swing space during renovation/reconstruction on the Hill.

Ok then i was wrong.

McC
Jun 10, 2011, 7:10 PM

you don't think Minto knew exactly what PWGSC's needs in the core were before they started the process to build Phase 3? I do; they didn't get to where they are by just building on a whim.

drawarc
Jun 10, 2011, 7:37 PM
Although rendering only shows it from side perspective and not entire proposal, tower component of Attika looks good. Don't know if Hintonburg is where a new tallest would fit though.

reidjr
Jun 10, 2011, 9:29 PM
you don't think Minto knew exactly what PWGSC's needs in the core were before they started the process to build Phase 3? I do; they didn't get to where they are by just building on a whim.

Yes your 100% correct i take back what i said and yes there has been plnety of devlopments the last 20 years.

ServiceGuy
Jun 11, 2011, 1:43 AM
As far as I'm concerned this entire proposal is "pie in the sky" thinking. IF the city would approve it and IF Tega had the capital to finance it, Tarion would require such a huge amount as a deposit to make the project unrealistic. If Tega had a few 16 to 20 story projects in their portfolio I might say okay, possibly, but right now... no way. 12 million dollar abatement, no previous high rise experience, plus Ottawa's tallest building equals no way in my opinion. I would love to see a new tallest but this won't be it.

reidjr
Jun 11, 2011, 11:25 AM
As far as I'm concerned this entire proposal is "pie in the sky" thinking. IF the city would approve it and IF Tega had the capital to finance it, Tarion would require such a huge amount as a deposit to make the project unrealistic. If Tega had a few 16 to 20 story projects in their portfolio I might say okay, possibly, but right now... no way. 12 million dollar abatement, no previous high rise experience, plus Ottawa's tallest building equals no way in my opinion. I would love to see a new tallest but this won't be it.

It likely won't happen but i think its good that this is beeing talked about along with other taller buildings maybe just maybe this will say more and more groups wanting to build taller.

HintonburgCA
Jun 11, 2011, 2:03 PM
For those of you who follow such things, we've obtained and posted (http://attikamarketcondos.com)the Paterson report on groundwater contamination that our Councillor has referred to. It seems to indicate, as we thought, that contamination is very slowly improving as a result of the remediation efforts Honeywell put in place several years ago. It looks like residents are going to be asked to make a choice between poisoning their community or accepting a 36-storey tower they may not want. As far as we can tell, there's no rush to clean the site up immediately. Under the supervision of the Ministry of the Environment, remediation efforts seem to be working. We'd expect that if the situation had changed suddenly, the Ministry would have come down like a bag of hammers.

gjhall
Jun 20, 2011, 8:32 PM
There was an ad in the Ottawa Citizen over the weekend for pre-registration. "Own the View" is their catchphrase...pretty aggressive strategy considering they haven't even filed an application.

McC
Jun 21, 2011, 2:37 PM
There was an ad in the Ottawa Citizen over the weekend for pre-registration. "Own the View" is their catchphrase...pretty aggressive strategy considering they haven't even filed an application.

crumby picture of that ad here: http://yfrog.com/kim7flj

Flyers were posted around the neighbourhood over the weekend with the catchphrase "Ruin the View." The HCA twitter feed ran a competition and other notable finalists were "Enjoy the Shade" and "Own the view, let the plebs enjoy the shade" and "Total Eclipse of the Park" (my personal fave despite the accuracy-challenges, what with the tower to the north of Parkdale Park and all)

Jamaican-Phoenix
Jun 21, 2011, 2:41 PM
crumby picture of that ad here: http://yfrog.com/kim7flj

Flyers were posted around the neighbourhood over the weekend with the catchphrase "Ruin the View." The HCA twitter feed ran a competition and other notable finalists were "Enjoy the Shade" and "Own the view, let the plebs enjoy the shade" and "Total Eclipse of the Park" (my personal fave despite the accuracy-challenges, what with the tower to the north of Parkdale Park and all)

It really only just proves that NIMBY's are everywhere and will feel threatened by anything tall. I do feel it is a touch out of place, as Scott street is a better location but some of the opposition is just silly and nothing more than false scare-tactics.

Harley613
Jun 21, 2011, 3:04 PM
unbelievable. when will they realize the view is less obstructed by a slender half block than a stumpy full block.

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Davis137
Jun 21, 2011, 3:09 PM
I think that this building would look great even if it were only 26 floors or less. I wonder if by trying to go with the higher floorcount, they are hoping to get approval for more than 20 stories as a more realistic goal...

Jamaican-Phoenix
Jun 21, 2011, 3:21 PM
I think that this building would look great even if it were only 26 floors or less. I wonder if by trying to go with the higher floorcount, they are hoping to get approval for more than 20 stories as a more realistic goal...

That's often what developers have done in this town.

S-Man
Jun 21, 2011, 3:26 PM
Well, it isn't surprising. The outcry would have been the same if it was 25 storeys lower.
Perusing the upcoming planning committee agenda, I see a community outcry over 5 storeys proposed for the really scary area of Lowertown, and the same over seven storeys in Centretown (which will be next to a seven storey building).

Not a word of protest for the 28 hectares of farmland being tuned into 680 car-oriented low-density dwelling units in Barrhaven South, adding to the land appropriated a couple of months ago in the same area for the same neighbourhood.

Out of sight, out of mind. Downtown shade trumps sprawl every day in this backwards town.

reidjr
Jun 21, 2011, 3:51 PM
Well, it isn't surprising. The outcry would have been the same if it was 25 storeys lower.
Perusing the upcoming planning committee agenda, I see a community outcry over 5 storeys proposed for the really scary area of Lowertown, and the same over seven storeys in Centretown (which will be next to a seven storey building).

Not a word of protest for the 28 hectares of farmland being tuned into 680 car-oriented low-density dwelling units in Barrhaven South, adding to the land appropriated a couple of months ago in the same area for the same neighbourhood.

Out of sight, out of mind. Downtown shade trumps sprawl every day in this backwards town.

While i am happy with the devlopement downtown thats getting built but this alwas complaining of buildings is gettting out of hand.

McC
Jun 21, 2011, 4:22 PM

This statement isn't correct, and is easily falsifiable given the history of this piece of land: the previous proposal for development on this block was 26 stories lower, and the reaction from the community was very different. You can read about it in the old thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=180638

(long story short, the biggest problems in that case were the developer's unco-operative attitude and amateurish business plan, not the scale of the building, which a more conscientious developer probably could have easily negotiated community buy-in for)

S-Man
Jun 21, 2011, 8:46 PM
Well, all I'm saying is that a 9 storey building (regardless of dubious business practice) was rejected by the community on that site. They called for an 8 storey building. I'm talking about a hypothetical 10 or 11 storey building. It strands to reason that if 9 storeys was opposed, 11 would be too. To me, that is an "incorrect" statement.

Anyways, I recognize that outcry over 9 storey and 36 storeys is different, as one building would have a far greater impact/presence. There are degrees of opposition.

McC
Jun 22, 2011, 2:07 PM
discussion of the contamination issue (Red Herring?) from the Citizen: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/mobile/iphone/news/ottawa-area/Hintonburg+ground+contaminated+land+assessor+says/4983879/story.html

Hintonburg ground contaminated, land assessor says
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
By JOANNE CHIANELLO, The Ottawa Citizen

OTTAWA — A groundwater contamination issue raised by a developer has upset the community association in Hintonburg, but the company’s environmental consultant said it is flagging a legitimate problem in the neighbourhood.

Tega Homes wants to construct a two-building, L-shaped development that would comprise almost an entire city block bounded by Parkdale Avenue, Armstrong Street, Hamilton Avenue North and Spencer Avenue. One of the buildings being proposed is a 36-storey condo tower, which, if it went ahead, would make it the tallest residential structure in Ottawa.

It’s long been known that the site has deep contamination from old industrial activity at a former Honeywell manufacturing plant. With the oversight of the Ontario Ministry of Environment, Honeywell has been cleaning up the property.

But for a residential development to move ahead on the site, the pace of the cleanup will have to speed up. That will cost an estimated $12 million, half of which could be covered by a city brownfield-remediation program. To cover the additional $6 million that Tega would have to shell out, the developer wants the city to allow it to build 50 per cent more than is allowed. In other words, instead of being able to build 200,000 square feet, as the zoning currently permits, Tega wants to build 300,000 square feet.

“This (contamination) has never been an issue in the community before it was raised by Tega as a crisis,” said Jay Baltz, of the Hintonburg Community Association. “Instead of talking about the fact they (Tega) want an increase in zoning, what they did was go out and hire a PR firm to spread information that they had to have a much bigger building or else this contamination was going to ruin the neighbourhood.”

Some Hintonburg residents are disturbed by the discussion about how the contamination has spread to neighbouring areas, as far as a block away. A 2005 Honeywell report shows contamination has spread beyond its site, at levels 1,000 times less than the worst-affected parts of the Honeywell site, but still above Ministry of Environment guidelines.

Some involved with the proposed development have suggested that homeowners could have trouble refinancing or selling their homes if the contamination isn’t cleaned up.

Jeff Polowin, a lobbyist with Hill and Knowlton who has been hired by Tega to help with the project, has mentioned the possibility of financial problems for homeowners in the vicinity due to the contamination plume.

But in an interview Monday, Polowin said he was simply passing along information that he heard from Paterson Group, the consulting engineers who prepared a report for Tega outlining what it would cost to clean up the site for development.

Although the memorandum that Paterson Group wrote for Tega — a copy of which was obtained by the Citizen — does not mention the effects of the contamination plume to outlining areas, its author, Carlos DaSilva, did not shy away from giving his opinion on the matter.

“What happens if you’re going to buy a property in that area ... and your property has contamination under it, but there’s a property down the street that doesn’t have it? Which one would you pay full value for? Would you pay full value for the one that has impact underneath? Wouldn’t you be a little concerned? I know I would, personally,” said DaSilva, in an interview Monday.

“And so, is there a diminution of property value when it’s impacted underneath? I would say there is.”

Hintonburg is one of the hottest real estate markets in the city, where homes are bought and sold quickly, and any question of deep contamination has not been an issue.

“(That’s) because they haven’t opened up that can of worms yet,” DaSilva said. “I’m not a lawyer, I’m not a realtor. I’m just giving you an opinion based on 30 years of experience with environmental projects.”

Hintonburg Community Association members say those statements amount to fear-mongering, meant to win over community support for a large development.

But DaSilva stood firm: “I don’t think that’s fear-mongering. Would you want to buy a house there? Would you pay full pop for it?”

Kitchissippi Councillor Katherine Hobbs said she can’t remember telling anyone that their property value is a risk due to the contamination. But in an e-mail exchange with a Hintonburg resident who accused her of doing just that, Hobbs responded that she was “merely passing on information received from a consultant’s report. Major environmental contamination can be a factor in these financial matters, and felt it important to share with residents that could be effected (sic).”

Hobbs told the Citizen she is not in favour of the development and that it is not appropriate for the site. But even though Tega has not submitted an application for the project to the city yet, Hobbs added that she feels compelled to deal with the issue of the contamination now that it has been raised publicly.

“My concern about this site is that there is a level of deepwater contamination,” she said in an interview. “It is horrific. These are cancer-causing agents. I have no idea what this means, environment-wise, health-wise; these are questions I would like to get answered right now.”

In fact, the Ministry of Environment told the Citizen that, in conjunction with Honeywell, it has been monitoring the site for the past 11 years. “There is no risk to human health or air quality for the community,” said ministry spokeswoman Kate Jordan.

Although most community members believe Hobbs is well-intentioned, they fear that voicing her worries — coupled with the environmental engineer’s comments about property values — “will cause people to be very concerned,” said Linda Hoad, who, among other things, chairs the Hintonburg Community Association’s zoning committee. “It’s irresponsible to say that the contamination is possibly endangering people, unless you have proof.”

No one disputes that the site is contaminated.

Honeywell ran a light industrial manufacturing plant at 3 Hamilton Ave. N. from the mid-1940s until 2000, when the property was sold for $825,000 to a property-holding company. (Tega, the developer, does not own any of the properties in question.) The deeper bedrock and groundwater under the site is contaminated with VOCs — volatile organic compounds — including some known or suspected human carcinogens, that came mostly from solvents used at the former aeronautics plant.

According to the Ministry of the Environment, Honeywell is responsible for cleaning up the property. The international conglomerate monitors the site and in 2008, installed a shallow groundwater treatment system on the property. Air-quality tests have been conducted that found no evidence of risk to humans or the environment, Jordan said. The company continues to report to the ministry regularly.

This summer, Honeywell plans to study how it can address contamination in the deeper bedrock and groundwater.

“Based all the information and all the reports that they submitted to us, we don’t have any concerns for impacts to human health or air quality,” Jordan said. “Their work continues to this day.”

She said that if a more “sensitive” use for the site is proposed, like a residential building, other measures would likely need to be taken and certainly approved by the ministry. “But we haven’t been approached by the new owners of the site in terms of any plans for development of it,” Jordan said.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

ottawastallest
Jun 23, 2011, 1:44 PM
Hello everyone,

I am new to this site so if I make a mistake please be patient.

I have a question about the Attika. Just out of curiosity. Is anyone here NOT appose to it?

OT

Ottawan
Jun 23, 2011, 2:22 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a question about the Attika. Just out of curiosity. Is anyone here NOT appose to it?

OT

Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but it is clear reading this thread that alot of people, including myself, who normally support intensification and tall buildings (this website is after all for skyscraper enthusiasts) do not support this particular development, for a variety of reasons.

citizen j
Jun 23, 2011, 5:07 PM
Hello everyone,

OT

I'm not opposed to the project in principle. And of course it's easy to be fine with 36 storeys when I'm nowhere near the thing. But I'd like to see some more design details before I jump on any bandwagons.

m0nkyman
Jun 23, 2011, 11:36 PM
Hello everyone,

OT

I'm not opposed to a 36 story building in this neighbourhood. I'm opposed to this project, because I don't have faith that a neophyte tower developer won't make a dog's breakfast out of it, thus poisoning the well for a developer that can actually put something fantastic together for the neighbourhood.

HintonburgCA
Jun 23, 2011, 11:38 PM
discussion of the contamination issue (Red Herring?) from the Citizen: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/mobile/iphone/news/ottawa-area/Hintonburg+ground+contaminated+land+assessor+says/4983879/story.html

You can read the Paterson report that is the basis for current contamination hysteria on our web site (http://attikamarketcondos.com). Long and short of it is that the Hill and Knowlton PR consultant working on Tega's behalf started putting it out there that the contamination on the site is endangering people's ability to re-finance their homes. When we got a whiff of that we went to Honeywell to solicit a letter and get assurances that nothing has changed since Honeywell received its current authorization from the Ministry to start remediation. If you read the Paterson report, which is all of two pages long, there's clearly no assertion in there of any risk to health or property. It is, frankly, dirty tricks by a developer that has no legitimate planning basis for proposing a 36-storey tower. Once again, on this site, we're dealing with a gong show, which is frustrating. Tega's not even a member of the Greater Ottawa Home Builders Association. This whole project is smoke and mirrors to try to get some kind of zoning above the now-approved 8 storeys to make flipping it to a real developer profitable. This is the kind of shenanigans that gives an entire homebuilding industry in Ottawa a black eye.

HintonburgCA
Jun 23, 2011, 11:45 PM
This statement isn't correct, and is easily falsifiable given the history of this piece of land: the previous proposal for development on this block was 26 stories lower, and the reaction from the community was very different. You can read about it in the old thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=180638

(long story short, the biggest problems in that case were the developer's unco-operative attitude and amateurish business plan, not the scale of the building, which a more conscientious developer probably could have easily negotiated community buy-in for)

Had the previous guys made some kind of effort to provide a community benefit that wasn't smoke and mirrors, and had they not been probably the least likely, least professional developers y'all have ever met, they might have succeeded in building something. We were going down a productive path with them on some kind of concession for the arts, following the model of the Currents building, when they lost patience with us and started berating both we and, probably more fatally, the press, for asking too much. About three months of patience and a few more concessions by way of real benefits, and they probably could have been in like Flynn.

S-Man
Jun 25, 2011, 8:55 PM
I'd be curious to hear the gong-show goings-ons on that shady developer - sounds amusing. I had never heard of them before or since.

As for Alkatraz - I mean Attika - I'm pretty sure most of the people on this board agree that the location fr this building should be moved north a few blocks. I'd like to see it, or something ambitious like it, built somewhere in the city, so it's a shame they're proposing it for this location where it will just result in a lengthy, drawn out process that will end in something much shorter that neiher the community or the developer want.

They can't sell Bayview yards fast enough - that is where this building should be.

HintonburgCA
Jun 30, 2011, 9:54 PM
Quality builders we're dealing with here...

"She said Tega has never offered to underpin her own building. 'There’s never been any effort.'"

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Tenants+ordered+unsafe+Ottawa+apartment+building/5032004/story.html#ixzz1QnZ7Wqj4

McC
Jul 1, 2011, 1:07 PM
Quality builders we're dealing with here...

"She said Tega has never offered to underpin her own building. 'There’s never been any effort.'"

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Tenants+ordered+unsafe+Ottawa+apartment+building/5032004/story.html#ixzz1QnZ7Wqj4

I know, right? they can't handle a little clay, and we're supposed to trust them with a contaminated site?

also reveals their likely plans for the Carleton and baby clothes shop... "oh sorry, the structures were unsound; guess we'll have to replace them with another tower, let's say 23-storeys? you know, to balance out the first two buildings"

McC
Jul 12, 2011, 11:51 AM
Katherine Hobbs was on the CeeB this morning to talk about this. She said the developer hasn't approached about the development and that she doesn't really know anything more than what was in the newspaper ad, and what Kitchissippi residents have told her by email. I had wondered why Ottawa Morning had had her on to talk about SoHo Italia when it was first unveiled similarly in an ad in the paper, and Kathleen Petty never asked the good councillor what she would have thought if the proposal was on X street in Kitchissippi Ward, instead of Preston. Now, sure enough, a similar proposal is made for Parkdale, and unsurprisingly, she is disappointed by the developer's decision to go to the papers before the community, and she finds the scale of the building inappropriate for the location, etc.

jt-mtl
Aug 24, 2011, 2:16 PM
I hope this building gets approved and made, love how this area is slowly getting fixed up and improved!

waterloowarrior
Oct 1, 2011, 3:32 PM
couple of websites

http://attikacondos.com/ - developer's site - ATTIKA on the Park (8 Storey) and ATTIKA Tower (36 Storey)

http://hintonburg.com/attika.html - HCA's page with updates

Harley613
Oct 1, 2011, 6:29 PM
the fact that there is a glaring spelling error on their website doesn't give me much confidence. is tega a joke or what? 'wolrd class facilities'

Uhuniau
Oct 1, 2011, 7:05 PM
"on the Park". Of course.

Well, at least it's spelled with a -k this time.

gjhall
Oct 1, 2011, 7:15 PM
"on the Park". Of course.

Well, at least it's spelled with a -k this time.

and at least it actually is on a park...

kevinbottawa
Oct 6, 2011, 6:22 AM
Here's a blog post from the Ottawa Citizen.

Hume to Tega’s 36 storeys: No, no, also no

October 6, 2011. 12:14 am • Section: City

This morning I took a break from the provincial election to drop by the Ottawa Real Estate Forum. In particular, I wanted to hear the panel with the cumbersome title, “A vision for growth and development in the National Capital Region: What are the strategies of the NCC and the City of Ottawa?”

I’m glad I did.

Peter Hume, who’s the councillor for Alta Vista and the chair of the planning committee, put the development community on notice that the city will not be entertaining re-zoning applications for sites where the zoning has already been decided through a community design plan.

Hume singled out a proposed development in Hintonburg, where Tega wants to construct a two-building complex that would include a 36-storey building — the tallest in Ottawa. But the location was included in a recent community design plan, which calls for a maximum of eight storeys.

The planning chair was clear today: no way.

(Earlier this year, I wrote about this development, which is controversial for more than just wanting to flaunt the existing zoning. Tega claims it needs the extra height to cover the $12 million clean-up of the contaminated site, which used to be owned by Honeywell. Hume says that Tega and its partners knew full well the site was contaminated when they bought it, and that it was zoned for eight floors. And the Ministry of Environment confirmed it is overseeing Honeywell’s continued clean-up of the site. )

Hume has spoken about his plan to firm up zoning in some areas of the city, in order to give more certainty to the community and to developers. In fact, I did a story on this last December (yes, I’m getting a little preoccupied with planning issues), and Hume said then that the idea would be to pre-zone key areas of intensification in the city. It wouldn’t necessarily mean people would be happy – no one really likes change, especially when that change is a condo tower at the end of your street – but at least residents would know what to expect. And developers would know ahead of time how much they’d be allowed to build, and would pay for land accordingly.

But today’s panel was the first time I’ve heard Hume speak to the issue so firmly in public.

Here’s the key part of his statement:

“We believe that community design plans are incredibly important. They are designed to tell you where height is and is not appropriate. And we believe they are not jumping-off points. Once we complete a community design plan, and we zone appropriately to the heights that are designated in the plan, it’s not a jumping-off point for more.

“West Wellington’s a great example. We completed a community design plan, and we spent many hours doing it. And we just received an application from Tega Homes to go to 36 storeys. It’s totally out of keeping with the community design plan. We believe that we have to respect those community design plans. We’re doing them for a purpose, and that purpose is to bring you certainty.

“So I tell you now that when those happen, like Tega Homes who is looking for 36 storeys, the answer is going to be simple: ‘No.’ It’s ‘no’ at 36 storeys, it’s ‘no’ at 30 storeys, it’s ‘no’ at 25 storeys, it’s ‘no’ at 20 storeys.”

Hugh Gorman, a principal with Bridgeport Realty Capital Partners who was on the panel along with Francois Lapointe, the VP of planning at the NCC, actually agreed with Hume. Gorman put it this charming way: “When my kids ask for another cookie, I say, ‘no, there’s no more cookies, you’ve had enough.’ And when a developer comes to you and wants 35 storeys in a zone under a CDP that’s got a lot less than that, I think there’s got to be consistency.”

But.

Gorman said there has to be “balance” on the other side, that when there’s a demand in the community for housing (in particular condos, I imagine), and it’s in compliance with the CDP ”or close to it, you’ve got to stop councillors in that area from exerting undue influence in the process.”

So this discussion is far from over (although it does seem to be at an end for Tega’s hopes of building the city’s tallest condo tower). Hume told the crowd he and Mayor Jim Watson would hold a second planning summit this winter that will focus on a “significant review of just where our official plan is meant to take us.”

The first summit took place in early 2010, after which the city reconvened a design review panel (the old one had quit in disgust). Hume also said that while he understands that “some — maybe all — of you in this room feel that the panel is bureaucratic and its recommendations are unreasonable, unworkable, don’t respect the economic circumstances that you operate in, we understand that and we are open to making changes. But I’m here to tell you, the panel is here to stay.”

Acajack
Oct 6, 2011, 1:46 PM
I know the name probably refers to somewhere in Greece but I can't help but think of a prison riot when I hear it...

Uhuniau
Oct 8, 2011, 12:26 AM
and at least it actually is on a park...

Well, that's just gravy!

HintonburgCA
Oct 9, 2011, 2:05 PM
Been a while since we had to post an update, but Hume's speech and the filing of an application are the subject of our latest entry.

http://hintonburg.com/attika.html#9OctoberUpdate

waterloowarrior
Oct 11, 2011, 12:58 AM
edit: oops wrong thread

McC
Apr 24, 2012, 2:08 PM
Also via twitter last night: ‏

@HintonburgCA
Tega Homes submitting substantially revised plans instead of proposed 36 storey condo on Parkdale Park. Details as soon as we know. #tega36

waterloowarrior
Apr 24, 2012, 9:25 PM
OBJ update
http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Residential/2012-04-24/article-2962881/Tega-scales-back-controversial-Hintonburg-condo-project/1

Davis137
Apr 25, 2012, 12:29 AM
I think that if the shorter building and podium are fronting Parkdale, and the tower is set behind it, that's not quite as bad. If they want to be a little more realistic, they could go with 10 floors less, as it will put it under that magic 27 storey threshold the city seems to love so much and wouldn't look so bad with the Coats building visable behind that one as well, when viewed from a distance.

McC
Apr 25, 2012, 1:46 AM
and wouldn't look so bad with the Coats building visable behind that one as well, when viewed from a distance.

always the best frame of reference for urban planning decisions, that.

"I'll be using the neighbourhood plans as toilet paper whilst I contemplate the view of this site from across town: ah, just right!"

S-Man
Apr 25, 2012, 2:22 AM
I am shocked - SHOCKED - that this project has gone back to the drawing board! :jester:

citizen j
Apr 25, 2012, 3:24 AM
always the best frame of reference for urban planning decisions, that.

"I'll be using the neighbourhood plans as toilet paper whilst I contemplate the view of this site from across town: ah, just right!"

Thanks for that (I snorted).

Davis137
Apr 28, 2012, 2:53 PM
I wasn't trying to trample all over planning process...just the new proposal looks better then the orignal, less intrusive to the Parkdale streetscape.

waterloowarrior
Jul 11, 2012, 10:19 PM
HCA update:

http://hintonburg.com/devwatch.html

A proposal for a 36 storey condo tower was previously submitted by Tega developments. This proposal was strongly opposed by the HCA and has been withdrawn.
Tega met in a preconsultation with the HCA on May 1, 2012 to present a revised rough concept plan with an 18 storey tower on the Hamilton frontage, and an 8 storey tower on the Parkdale side. The whole block except for the Carleton Tavern is included in this plan.
The HCA, on a preliminary basis, has indicated that it considers that there is no architectural excellence or other justification for an 18-storey tower. The HCA has also expressed strong concerns about the visual impact of the building from Parkdale. The number of proposed parking spots was also discussed.
The developer may take this feedback into consideration as it develops a proposal for consideration by the City and community.
Public meetings will be held when detailed plans are available.
On June 10, the HCA provided its comments to the developer based on the preliminary plans presented for pre-consultation. (http://hintonburg.com/TegaJune10.html)

Marcus CLS
Jul 12, 2012, 12:45 AM
Unbelievable,

The project is cut by 50% in density and it is still not good enough. I agree that 36 stories was probably a stretch but this proposal is far more reasonable for a Brown field site that will require $$ for clean up.

In the city core, 18 stories is a fair proposal. They should have proposed 20.

I am pro intensification and anti pave over farm fields for suburbs.

If this eventually ends up at the OMB the Hintinburg CA will lose.

McC
Jul 12, 2012, 1:34 AM
If someone wants permission to build an exceptional building, why shouldn't they have to design an exceptional building?

PS don't forget that it is Tega that we're talking about here, so they're not getting a pass on reputation alone.

waterloowarrior
Jul 27, 2012, 4:49 PM
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__8PNOIO

Mixed-use development involving ground floor retail and restaurant, office space and residential & underground garage. Includes 6-storey segment along Parkdale and 18-storey along Hamilton

Planner: Lloyd Phillips & Associates Ltd.
Architect: Alcaide Webster

J.OT13
Jul 27, 2012, 5:29 PM
Certainly not a masterpiece, but it makes more sense than the original proposal.

McC
Jul 27, 2012, 6:31 PM
"it's hideous Jerry, hideous!"

UPDATE
I think I was too harsh, too quick to judge; it's just so ridiculous, from its harvest gold colour to its silly little hat... Actually, I kind of feel sorry for it. I bet all of the other building proposals pick on it on the way to the Planning Department. Poor Attika.

kevinbottawa
Jul 27, 2012, 7:31 PM
"it's hideous Jerry, hideous!"

UPDATE
I think I was too harsh, too quick to judge; it's just so ridiculous, from its harvest gold colour to its silly little hat... Actually, I kind of feel sorry for it. I bet all of the other building proposals pick on it on the way to the Planning Department. Poor Attika.

I never really looked at the previous proposal too clsely, but 36 storeys would've been ridiculous (and I love height).

When it comes to this proposal, it's not horrible. I like how it would look from Wellington, but from east or west it looks a bit wide. Couldn't they break that up into two thinner towers?

m0nkyman
Jul 28, 2012, 12:34 AM
Sorry, but if we're going to have any sanity to our zoning, then brand new and complete CDP's should be respected. This site was specifically slated for eight stories in the CDP that was completed less than two years ago. Get Honeywell to clean up their mess, and build something that respects the CDP.

I can't see them winning at the OMB, so this is a dead letter.

McC
Aug 2, 2012, 2:19 PM
On the Twitter

‏@HintonburgCA

Letters this afternoon from @Katherine_Hobbs office to those writing to oppose Tega: she will vote against! Fantastic news. (cont.)

‏@HintonburgCA

(Cont.) Note, tho, that staff still writing its report - still very important to submit comments. Staff opposition is also critical.

Davis137
Aug 2, 2012, 3:44 PM
I don't mind the design asthetic of the building too much. It's still an improvement over the old storeage building that's currently on that block. It will also bring more pedestrian traffic to the neighbourhood, and it's proximity to the park and the market will be really nice for folks that choose to live there. The colour they chose to put on it looks kinda lame, but other than that, the exterior design, including the hat, isn't much unlike condo towers that have gone up in the GTA in the last 10 years.

S-Man
Aug 2, 2012, 3:45 PM
A neighbourhood like this needs brick or masonry exteriors.

waterloowarrior
Aug 3, 2012, 2:23 AM
citizen article
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Councillor+still+happy+with+halved+building+plan+Wellington/7033532/story.html

rocketphish
Jan 16, 2013, 12:18 AM
Attika, Take III.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8372/8385427960_ea425098b1_b.jpg

Application:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__9HBPW7

Renderings:
http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Image%20Referencing_Zoning%20Bylaw%20Amendment%20Application_Image%20Reference_D02-02-13-0004%20Elevations.PDF

kevinbottawa
Jan 16, 2013, 12:34 AM
I like it a lot! Big improvement from the last rendering.

http://imagecontent.buzzbuzzhome.com/imageSponsors/CoverImages/2012_11_19_11_56_56_ext.png

J.OT13
Jan 16, 2013, 1:43 AM
Big improvement.