PDA

View Full Version : Centre Slush Puppie [500 de la Cité, Gatineau] | 4000 seat arena | Completed

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

reidjr
Dec 10, 2009, 3:16 PM
Does anyone have any details of the new arena that is set to open sept 2010.

waterloowarrior
Jul 1, 2010, 3:17 AM
Gatineau council proposes $79M arena plan
Downtown facility to be completed by 2012, mayor says

BY DAVE ROGERS, THE OTTAWA CITIZEN JUNE 30, 2010 11:02 PM BE THE FIRST TO POST A COMMENT
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Gatineau+council+proposes+arena+plan/3222791/story.html

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/3222792.bin?size=620x400

Gatineau’s proposed Centre Multifonctionnel is shown from the perspective of Montcalm and Wright streets.
Photograph by: Artist’s Conception

After trying for years to repair or replace the Robert Guertin Arena, Gatineau council on Wednesday decided on a new $79-million arena that will require the expropriation of a city block in downtown Hull.

For now the building is called the “Centre Multifonctionnel” instead of the Robert Guertin Arena because it will be the home of the Gatineau Olympiques hockey team and also provide space for music concerts and, possibly, trade shows.

The 5,000-seat arena will occupy the block bounded by Montcalm, Wellington, Eddy and Wright streets and will require the expropriation of a furniture store, parking lot and a building owned by the Université du Québec en Outaouais.

Mayor Marc Bureau said it was expected the new arena would be completed in 2012.

“We wanted to keep the arena in the centre of the city,” Bureau said. “We want people to spend money downtown to revitalize the area.

“Gilles Desjardins of Brigil Construction proposed an arena in Point-Gatineau, but there is nothing there. We want to keep the money downtown.”

Bureau said the federal and provincial governments hadn’t yet agreed to help pay for the arena, but city officials will meet next week with federal and provincial counterparts to discuss subsidies.

Gatineau councillors hope the federal and provincial governments will pay $52.7 million, or two-thirds of the cost, with the city paying $26.3 million.

The mayor said the city would call tenders for the design and construction of the building. He said the Olympiques may be concerned about the lack of parking, but the arena will be near a Rapibus station and there will be enough parking if the federal government allows hockey fans to use spaces occupied during the day by the vehicles of public servants.

The decision to replace the present 3,182-seat arena on Rue Carillion, built in 1957, comes two years after Bureau announced a plan to refurbish the facility in partnership with the Olym-piques. However, Nathalie Normandeau, then Quebec’s municipal affairs minister, vetoed the renovation plan in May 2009 because the city had not called for tenders.

Most city councillors said the construction of the arena was the start of the city’s plan to bring new life to downtown and to develop Montcalm as Gatineau’s cultural boulevard.

“My family had a house on Wellington Street, and I remember how lively it was there,” Councillor Joseph De Sylva said. “But the government buildings killed centretown, and all the stores on Boulevard du Portage moved to Les Galleries de Hull.

“There will be shows at the arena during the summer, and people will visit the restaurants. During the winter, there will be hockey and concerts.”

De Sylva said the city would also keep the name of Robert Guertin “somewhere in the building in memory of the man who was a great volunteer in the community.”

Stéphane Cayer, co-owner of Vice Versa, a furniture store now on the site, said he had not heard about the new arena until just before Wednesday’s meeting and refused to comment on the impending expropriation.

Officials from the Olympiques did not attend the meeting.

Marjorie Vallée, a spokeswoman for the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League club, said team president Alain Sear could not say anything about the new arena proposal because he was in Florida and hadn’t seen plans for the building.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Jamaican-Phoenix
Jul 1, 2010, 3:30 AM
Gatineau seems to be getting things right these days. I wonder if they've looked to Ottawa as an example of how NOT to run a city. If only Gatineau had regional rail and/or LRT. That would be so delightfully progressive.

Acajack
Jul 1, 2010, 4:12 AM
This could be excellent news. Note however that the francophone media, unlike the Citizen, are not implying that this is a done deal, but rather that Gatineau is looking to relocate Guertin on this site. The current Guertin site is to be redeveloped with residential if the plan goes ahead.

I have been following this issue for some time, and although some people may have been in the know, it seems like the new site came pretty much out of the blue. I think that even the Olympiques may have been surprised.

reidjr
Jul 1, 2010, 10:25 AM
Done deal or not its really amazing how gatineau gets things done.Take the 3 new goverment buildings the rapid transit the 2 new sports complexes .I am sure there are other projects in the works as well.

Acajack
Jul 2, 2010, 1:06 PM
Done deal or not its really amazing how gatineau gets things done.Take the 3 new goverment buildings the rapid transit the 2 new sports complexes .I am sure there are other projects in the works as well.

We are supposed to be getting a new central library in the same vicinity as this proposed arena site along Montcalm.

Article in French from this spring:
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-droit/actualites/gatineau-outaouais/201005/10/01-4279101-un-haut-lieu-de-culture-au-centre-ville.php

Also on the drawing boards is a museum on Montcalm dedicated to this guy, which may or may not be attached onto the new library:
http://www.espacedallaire.org/Brchr-EspaceDallaire.pdf

It's been a while since this project moved but it is still very much on the city's radar screen.

reidjr
Jul 2, 2010, 1:47 PM
We are supposed to be getting a new central library in the same vicinity as this proposed arena site along Montcalm.

Article in French from this spring:
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-droit/actualites/gatineau-outaouais/201005/10/01-4279101-un-haut-lieu-de-culture-au-centre-ville.php

Also on the drawing boards is a museum on Montcalm dedicated to this guy, which may or may not be attached onto the new library:
http://www.espacedallaire.org/Brchr-EspaceDallaire.pdf

It's been a while since this project moved but it is still very much on the city's radar screen.

Do you think traffic wise the area could handle a new arena and a library.

Acajack
Jul 2, 2010, 2:01 PM
Do you think traffic wise the area could handle a new arena and a library.

I think that the city is looking to have more congestion in this area, not less. Urban planning thinking these days is evolving towards seeing congestion as a potentially good thing. Congestion means lots of people want to go somewhere.

Getting back to Montcalm and environs, I think that the area can certainly handle a lot more people. There is an exit off the 50 at the north end, lots of side streets to the east of the area (St-Rédempteur, Eddy, etc.), Taché down at the bottom plus there will be Rapibus stations at both ends. Should be fine.

Plus, consider that a library doesn't draw that many people. It will certainly draw more people than the area does at the moment, but it won't bring in huge crowds most days. And the arena in their wildest dreams will probably have maybe 75 "event" days a year. Probably closer to 50 or 60 if we are realistic.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Jul 3, 2010, 3:06 AM
I think that the city is looking to have more congestion in this area, not less. Urban planning thinking these days is evolving towards seeing congestion as a potentially good thing. Congestion means lots of people want to go somewhere.

Getting back to Montcalm and environs, I think that the area can certainly handle a lot more people. There is an exit off the 50 at the north end, lots of side streets to the east of the area (St-Rédempteur, Eddy, etc.), Taché down at the bottom plus there will be Rapibus stations at both ends. Should be fine.

Plus, consider that a library doesn't draw that many people. It will certainly draw more people than the area does at the moment, but it won't bring in huge crowds most days. And the arena in their wildest dreams will probably have maybe 75 "event" days a year. Probably closer to 50 or 60 if we are realistic.

Acajack, I gotta say that Gatineau certainly seems on the right path to building a better city with a few exceptions I don't particularly agree with or feel strongly about. Having said that, the fact that your city council is actively promoting the intensification of the Hull Sector and the CBD, creating a true city-centre in Gatineau, procuring rapid transit for the region, building arenas downtown(hopefully) and redeveloping old or useless sites. It's very refreshing to see since Ottawa's council is so incredibly broken and full of councilors who can't see past their own ward.

Cre47
Jul 3, 2010, 3:15 AM
There is also an extremely out-of-place house that might be gutted as well and that might also spell the end of Vite Vite Patates, Herbal Mergic and the Restaurant des Auvents. I hate to say this but these are all looking tedious so it might not be a big lost especially the house.

harls
Jul 3, 2010, 11:26 AM
There is also an extremely out-of-place house that might be gutted as well and that might also spell the end of Vite Vite Patates, Herbal Mergic and the Restaurant des Auvents. I hate to say this but these are all looking tedious so it might not be a big lost especially the house.

I wish they'd get rid of that ENAP building on Eddy. That thing looks so out of place, and it looks like it was built fairly recently. Maybe it was never supposed to be permanent.. I dunno.

Cre47
Jul 4, 2010, 4:02 PM
I wish they'd get rid of that ENAP building on Eddy. That thing looks so out of place, and it looks like it was built fairly recently. Maybe it was never supposed to be permanent.. I dunno.

Not sure but I think Heritage Canada is also occupying some space in that building, if it's the one at the NW corner of Eddy and Wellington you are talking about. It doesn't look like a permanent building definitely.

waterloowarrior
Jul 8, 2010, 12:35 AM
Looks like they may be running into funding difficulties, at least for now
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/money+arenas+Gatineau+told/3247888/story.html

Acajack
Jul 8, 2010, 1:35 AM
Looks like they may be running into funding difficulties, at least for now
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/money+arenas+Gatineau+told/3247888/story.html

Explains why most of the other media except for the Citizen were quite cautious with this story.

K-133
Jul 8, 2010, 6:30 PM
Gatineau seems to be getting things right these days. I wonder if they've looked to Ottawa as an example of how NOT to run a city. If only Gatineau had regional rail and/or LRT. That would be so delightfully progressive.

Is it possible to use the existing rail bridge to extend the OC LRT over to Gatineau?

Uhuniau
Jul 8, 2010, 8:20 PM
Is it possible to use the existing rail bridge to extend the OC LRT over to Gatineau?

Apparently not without first ripping out the tracks, converting it to a BRT roadway, running it into the ground for forty years, then studying whether or not it should be converted into LRT.

Cre47
Sep 3, 2010, 6:47 PM
Really bumpy this issue, that it might go back to the drawing board although the Mayor seems insisting on that site for the centre.

Sounds like for the provincial government that the Nordiques, (which by the way if they are back would be by far in the smallest NHL market and 2nd smallest market in professional sports behind Green Bay) are more important.

Meanwhile seems the Brigil project is getting backed by Cyril Leeder and the Sens organization. Having said that, if the provincial government can afford to spend tens of millions for an arena for a team that has little chance of returning considering the small market of about 600 000-700 000 and which had previously being unable to keep two minor league teams after the Nordiques moved to Denver they can afford $25 million for a new arena or cultural centre here.

Guess, being cynical, that political affiliation and number of MNA seats matters as Bureau is a PQ militant versus Labeaume which is more ideologically closer then the QLP and that the city of Gatineau has only 5 seats (actually only 2 are exclusively in Gatineau alone) versus the 12-15 seats are Quebec City and which they are vulnerable then the Outaouais seats during an election (see 2007 when the ADQ won almost all Quebec City seats).

Though the Brigil site proposal seems as close to the Rapibus station and you have more room for a larger arena then downtown with some retail and restaurant (s?) accross the 50 with plenty of room for more as well as space for residental and maybe office use. Hate to say this to those preferring downtown space, but the Brigil proposal site seems to have more potentiel.

I guess with the Senators backing, the Brigil project seems to have the lead. Hopefully in all of that it will not just result in just the renovation of the current site.

Acajack
Sep 3, 2010, 7:17 PM
Really bumpy this issue, that it might go back to the drawing board although the Mayor seems insisting on that site for the centre.

Sounds like for the provincial government that the Nordiques, (which by the way if they are back would be by far in the smallest NHL market and 2nd smallest market in professional sports behind Green Bay) are more important.

Meanwhile seems the Brigil project is getting backed by Cyril Leeder and the Sens organization. Having said that, if the provincial government can afford to spend tens of millions for an arena for a team that has little chance of returning considering the small market of about 600 000-700 000 and which had previously being unable to keep two minor league teams after the Nordiques moved to Denver they can afford $25 million for a new arena or cultural centre here.

Guess, being cynical, that political affiliation and number of MNA seats matters as Bureau is a PQ militant versus Labeaume which is more ideologically closer then the QLP and that the city of Gatineau has only 5 seats (actually only 2 are exclusively in Gatineau alone) versus the 12-15 seats are Quebec City and which they are vulnerable then the Outaouais seats during an election (see 2007 when the ADQ won almost all Quebec City seats).

Though the Brigil site proposal seems as close to the Rapibus station and you have more room for a larger arena then downtown with some retail and restaurant (s?) accross the 50 with plenty of room for more as well as space for residental and maybe office use. Hate to say this to those preferring downtown space, but the Brigil proposal site seems to have more potentiel.

I guess with the Senators backing, the Brigil project seems to have the lead. Hopefully in all of that it will not just result in just the renovation of the current site.

I think you may be right that Brigil is the darkhouse proposal that might have the inside track. It would be too bad for those of us who see the arena as a key part of the puzzle of downtown rejuvenation.

But I also wanted to say that you are bit off with the above-mentioned politicians' allegiances.

Marc Bureau is a bit of an agnostic or fence-sitter on the Quebec vs. Canada issue. He has said officially that he is a federalist on a few occasions (this is pretty much par for the course when you are mayor of Gatineau, no matter what you really think in your mind). But Bureau is not really associated with any political party. Some people think he is a PQ sympathizer because his chief of staff Luc Bouvier is a big PQ/separatist dude. However, it is not uncommon in Quebec politics to have people who are on different sides provincially work together at the municipal level, even if they disagree on something as fundamental as Quebec's place in Canada or outside of it. This may be difficult for people in Ontario to fathom (and I know I personally found it odd when I moved to Quebec some time ago), but it is no big deal in Quebec.

Quebec City mayor Régis Labeaume is well-known for being a sovereignist and a PQ sympathizer. Every so often he is rumoured to be making the jump to lead the PQ - the latest rumour was just this past summer. Once again, Labeaume is at the municipal level so he has to work with people of all stripes. But make no mistake - he is fundamentally PQ blue.

reidjr
Sep 3, 2010, 8:00 PM
I think you may be right that Brigil is the darkhouse proposal that might have the inside track. It would be too bad for those of us who see the arena as a key part of the puzzle of downtown rejuvenation.

But I also wanted to say that you are bit off with the above-mentioned politicians' allegiances.

Marc Bureau is a bit of an agnostic or fence-sitter on the Quebec vs. Canada issue. He has said officially that he is a federalist on a few occasions (this is pretty much par for the course when you are mayor of Gatineau, no matter what you really think in your mind). But Bureau is not really associated with any political party. Some people think he is a PQ sympathizer because his chief of staff Luc Bouvier is a big PQ/separatist dude. However, it is not uncommon in Quebec politics to have people who are on different sides provincially work together at the municipal level, even if they disagree on something as fundamental as Quebec's place in Canada or outside of it. This may be difficult for people in Ontario to fathom (and I know I personally found it odd when I moved to Quebec some time ago), but it is no big deal in Quebec.

Quebec City mayor Régis Labeaume is well-known for being a sovereignist and a PQ sympathizer. Every so often he is rumoured to be making the jump to lead the PQ - the latest rumour was just this past summer. Once again, Labeaume is at the municipal level so he has to work with people of all stripes. But make no mistake - he is fundamentally PQ blue.

Can you tell me what is the brigil project.

Acajack
Sep 3, 2010, 8:03 PM
Can you tell me what is the brigil project.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/07082010/71/central-developer-pitches-5-000-seat-arena-hull.html

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-droit/actualites/gatineau-outaouais/201009/02/01-4312209-les-senateurs-nouveaux-partenaires-de-gilles-desjardins-.php

reidjr
Sep 3, 2010, 9:48 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/07082010/71/central-developer-pitches-5-000-seat-arena-hull.html

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-droit/actualites/gatineau-outaouais/201009/02/01-4312209-les-senateurs-nouveaux-partenaires-de-gilles-desjardins-.php

Why don't you like this project.

Acajack
Sep 6, 2010, 1:19 AM
Why don't you like this project.

I don't have anything against this specific project per se, except that it will deprive our downtown of a good people-drawing card. And it needs as many of them as it can get.

Post 1410 here sums it up nicely:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=4971714#post4971714

Cre47
Sep 9, 2010, 11:18 PM
Lot of opposition for having the arena downtown now. A site has been setup. I expect some councillors to jump ship but Bureau considering how committed he is (maybe too hard-head) with the Montcalm spot, might continue to keep his same position.

Maybe the Brigil proposal will resurface with all this opposition, even if it was shot dead by the city right off the bat. Now it sounds like he is planning 1100 residential units at the site. Not a good alternative really for the Moreau Street/Highway 50 area off Saint-Louis

I'm fearing just the renovation scenario which would a shame because of all the bickering with the provincial government which supports a lost cause that is extremely unpopular in Western Canada unless the feds decide to fund for the new Green Riders stadium in Regina, the new arena for the Oilers, the new Tiger Cats Stadium plan and of course the Landsdowne project. Odds are stacked against Labeaume but Quebecor (although apparently not for the arena) decides to step in (though they were planning to be involved with the Nordiques project a few months ago anyways) but giving the harsh editorials this morning in Toronto and Western Canada papers, the chances for Labeaume getting no help from the feds are high. We know for the Conservatives, Western Canada is sacred for them so to keep power - apparently Harper said they never contributed directly in any sports project so far. Of course this won't be good for the new Guertin arena. Worse case would be losing the junior team.

Acajack
Sep 10, 2010, 2:21 PM
Lot of opposition for having the arena downtown now. A site has been setup. I expect some councillors to jump ship but Bureau considering how committed he is (maybe too hard-head) with the Montcalm spot, might continue to keep his same position.

Maybe the Brigil proposal will resurface with all this opposition, even if it was shot dead by the city right off the bat. Now it sounds like he is planning 1100 residential units at the site. Not a good alternative really for the Moreau Street/Highway 50 area off Saint-Louis

I'm fearing just the renovation scenario which would a shame because of all the bickering with the provincial government which supports a lost cause that is extremely unpopular in Western Canada unless the feds decide to fund for the new Green Riders stadium in Regina, the new arena for the Oilers, the new Tiger Cats Stadium plan and of course the Landsdowne project. Odds are stacked against Labeaume but Quebecor (although apparently not for the arena) decides to step in (though they were planning to be involved with the Nordiques project a few months ago anyways) but giving the harsh editorials this morning in Toronto and Western Canada papers, the chances for Labeaume getting no help from the feds are high. We know for the Conservatives, Western Canada is scared for them so to keep power - apparently Harper said they never contributed directly in any sports project so far. Of course this won't be good for the new Guertin arena. Worse case would be losing the junior team.

This site is getting some media attention these days:
http://www.nonguertincentreville.com/

It is not specifically identified with Brigil but it does make reference to "Brigil Platine'''s proposal in a few places. Brigil's Gilles Desjardins is likely behind it.

Everything is going to tighten up in a big way on the senior government side in the next few months and years. This is bad news for Marc Bureau's plan for a new downtown arena as money from Quebec is likely going to be really hard to get. Hull's provincial member (who has to be onside to fight for money from Quebec City) was quoted on the news today as saying "how can I go and fight to get funding for a project when I am not even sure most of the population is behind it?", and referred to the opposition to a downtown arena like the Web page.

So in spite of what the city says (and the best interests of downtown revitalization in my opinion), we may end up getting the Brigil project, simply because that is the one that has money behind it.

Radster
Sep 10, 2010, 2:22 PM
Its just typical NIMBY opposition, headed by the owner of Vice Versa furniture store who does not want to relocate (very selfish), and many of those in support are also probably public servants who don't want to lose parking spots. All this space is now is like 90% surface parking, so its ripe for something big, and this arena would be perfect. It worked in MTL with the Bell Centre, so why not here? Its walking distance to the new Rapibus, centrally located, walking distance to many restaurants and bars (perfect for pre-post game sessions). Yes a couple dozen of local residents will have this in front of their homes, but other than that, it looks like mostly positives outweighing the few negatives.

Its all about the funding now. The provincial gvt. said there was no money available for arenas a few weeks ago, only to announce $50 Million for the new Quebec Nordiques arena. Gatineau politicians are making a fuss regarding this, so there is still hope for funding and for this downtown arena to become reality!

Acajack
Sep 10, 2010, 2:38 PM
Its all about the funding now. The provincial gvt. said there was no money available for arenas a few weeks ago, only to announce $50 Million for the new Quebec Nordiques arena.

Correction - it is in fact 175 million for the new arena in Quebec City!

Cre47
Oct 1, 2010, 3:04 PM
Apparently, the guy who was planning the ... well... failed protest yesterday (only two people participated in the protest before the meeting at City Hall) was the one behind the site and the petition.

Now since, the Brigil project has being officially abandonned and that I dislike the idea of rebuilding on the current site on Carillon, here are probably other possible sites for the new arena. Some of the those sites are also possible future locations for a new Museum of Science and Technology.

* Jacques-Cartier Park
* The former Rivermead Horse Race Track area (Aylmer Road and Rivermead and possibly planned for residential)
* Near the sports complex on Boul la Cite
* The E.B Eddy Plant
* On Cite-des-Jeunes near Mont-Bleu and the CEGEP as long as it doesn't affect nearby Gatineau Park
* Right near the Reno Depot and the Casino du Lac-Leamy (also a possible new residential area)
* Near the University (UQO) would also have being another area I was thinking but it won't have enough space I guess.

Note: Four of the seven are close to the Rapibus track while the other three are located in areas served by several routes (though the Cite-des-Jeunes location might be a bit of a walking distances of some of the routes (35, 37, 49) and probably the same with Jacques-Cartier Park as most routes (21, 33, 35, 37, 39, 59) are within about a 5-10 minute walk from the park.

Acajack
Oct 1, 2010, 6:36 PM
Apparently, the guy who was planning the ... well... failed protest yesterday (only two people participated in the protest before the meeting at City Hall) was the one behind the site and the petition.

Now since, the Brigil project has being officially abandonned and that I dislike the idea of rebuilding on the current site on Carillon, here are probably other possible sites for the new arena. Some of the those sites are also possible future locations for a new Museum of Science and Technology.

* Jacques-Cartier Park
* The former Rivermead Horse Race Track area (Aylmer Road and Rivermead and possibly planned for residential)
* Near the sports complex on Boul la Cite
* The E.B Eddy Plant
* On Cite-des-Jeunes near Mont-Bleu and the CEGEP as long as it doesn't affect nearby Gatineau Park
* Right near the Reno Depot and the Casino du Lac-Leamy (also a possible new residential area)
* Near the University (UQO) would also have being another area I was thinking but it won't have enough space I guess.

Note: Four of the seven are close to the Rapibus track while the other three are located in areas served by several routes (though the Cite-des-Jeunes location might be a bit of a walking distances of some of the routes (35, 37, 49) and probably the same with Jacques-Cartier Park as most routes (21, 33, 35, 37, 39, 59) are within about a 5-10 minute walk from the park.

Interesting to hypothesize but for the city there are only two options: the main one right downtown (Wellington/Montcalm) and the current site with either a renovation or a teardown/rebuild.

I don't think anything else is being considered.

Cre47
Oct 6, 2010, 11:12 PM
That was just areas I've proposed considering there are mainly bland spots in this city which would be more suitable then the proposed and the current site and in fact considering Bowater is done, I might add another suggestion. Another site near the future Rapibus albeit a bit of a walking distance (which might rank it low in my list) since just before St.Louis the proposed Rapibus track would move further away from Maloney. I think there are several sites that might be better then the two locations.

Also what I meant with the E.B Eddy, I meant nearby so within the Domtar lands east of Eddy. (I can't wait for this eyesore to be changed). The building on the west side I was thinking for the future Museum of Science and Technology.

The current site is actually among the worst locations mentionned in this thread in terms of access to public transit service (right now only two routes serving the area every hour at night (and they pass at the same time on weeknights) - actually one you have to walk about 5 minutes). Sure the Rapibus would be nearby, but there are only stops planned for Montcalm and Montclair, a good 10-15 minutes from the site and walking into not necessarily walk-friendly areas at night. If the new arena would be at the current site, I suggests to add a station at des Allumettieres. Not sure about a pedestrian crossing over the 50 connecting to the arena but it would certainly be better this then crossing junctions with the 50 or poorly lit (if) paths.

harls
Oct 7, 2010, 11:20 AM
If the new arena would be at the current site, I suggests to add a station at des Allumettieres. Not sure about a pedestrian crossing over the 50 connecting to the arena but it would certainly be better this then crossing junctions with the 50 or poorly lit (if) paths.

There is also that conglomerate of transients that lives next to the creek behind Gite-ami... I know people that purposely avoid those paths at night just because they think they are going to be jumped. They even closed that tunnel under the 50 that connects with Amherst on the other side (I think?). Not sure if a bridge would be much better, but maybe if there is a station there like you say, it would be more active.

Radster
Oct 7, 2010, 3:19 PM
Makes no sense to build a station that is literally only 200-300m from the Montcalm station.

To walk to the Montcalm station from the current arena takes less than 10 minutes, all you need to do is take the bike path by the creek.
Daytime its safe, night time they can add some lighting, and security cameras, and its all good.

Alternatively, one can cross Allumettieres, then take Rue Morin a few blocks to Papineau street, by the Brasseurs du Temps and voila you are at Montcalm st by the new Rapibus station.

Both routes are less than 10 minute walk from Rapibus. Furthermore, this is an ideal location for cars too, as there is a perfect connection to Aylmer via Allumettieres, and Gatineu/Hull/Chelsea via HWY50, as well as ample parking on site and vicinity.

Cre47
Nov 16, 2010, 7:05 PM
I've already posted it on the Gatineau projects thread, but a new council vote on the downtown proposal has been delayed (no surprise) until after the holidays sign that this Council is still divided and that the mayor is unable to swing some of the opponents of the project.

If the Gatineau Olympiques are moving to somewhere else outside of Gatineau, a lot of fingers will be pointing on the Mayor. Assistance is around 2500 per game which is very weak. Clearly this stalemate is hurting the team in the stands.

reidjr
Nov 16, 2010, 9:03 PM
I've already posted it on the Gatineau projects thread, but a new council vote on the downtown proposal has been delayed (no surprise) until after the holidays sign that this Council is still divided and that the mayor is unable to swing some of the opponents of the project.

If the Gatineau Olympiques are moving to somewhere else outside of Gatineau, a lot of fingers will be pointing on the Mayor. Assistance is around 2500 per game which is very weak. Clearly this stalemate is hurting the team in the stands.

2500 is some what weak but the probleam in the q right now is there are teams with much worse attendance.What may not help city council is the league can not afford to lose gatineau if they do it would be a huge blow to the league.

wingman
Nov 17, 2010, 6:09 PM
It wouldn't be just a huge blow to the league, but to the city as well! The Olympiques help keep Gatineau on the Quebec map more than people think...

I like the current site, but can also see why the mayor wants to use the Wellington/Montcalm location. Remember, next year Montcalm is going to be totally redone adding a permanent bus lane with a minimum of three lanes from Tache to Papineau. I am sure the mayor would like to include this centre in the final plans.

I like the idea of the Domtar property near the portage bridge. Natural connection to the Promenade, makes it more profitable for the business there rather than having to close at 4ish - similar to Wellington/Montcalm I guess. Also close to the 50 access road for those coming from the east.

Keeping in mind that over 60% of the supporters for the team come from Gatineau (read old Gatineau), it is unlikely to think many of them will even use the STO. If parking is a problem people may not go! Unless they do some sort of park and ride thing.

Attendance will pick up after xmas, always does. But that old rink is hurting attendance for sure - as great as it is with regard to atmosphere is it too cramped and decrepit, not to mention the fact it was build in 1957!

reidjr
Nov 17, 2010, 6:26 PM
It wouldn't be just a huge blow to the league, but to the city as well! The Olympiques help keep Gatineau on the Quebec map more than people think...

I like the current site, but can also see why the mayor wants to use the Wellington/Montcalm location. Remember, next year Montcalm is going to be totally redone adding a permanent bus lane with a minimum of three lanes from Tache to Papineau. I am sure the mayor would like to include this centre in the final plans.

I like the idea of the Domtar property near the portage bridge. Natural connection to the Promenade, makes it more profitable for the business there rather than having to close at 4ish - similar to Wellington/Montcalm I guess. Also close to the 50 access road for those coming from the east.

Keeping in mind that over 60% of the supporters for the team come from Gatineau (read old Gatineau), it is unlikely to think many of them will even use the STO. If parking is a problem people may not go! Unless they do some sort of park and ride thing.

Attendance will pick up after xmas, always does. But that old rink is hurting attendance for sure - as great as it is with regard to atmosphere is it too cramped and decrepit, not to mention the fact it was build in 1957!

Bottom line is i can't see council saying no to a new arena some may not like one spot but i am sure it will get done.Everything i have been reading today point to they want a arena not just for hockey but for concerts and shows and yes i can see that beeing a big boost to the area.

Cre47
Feb 11, 2011, 3:16 PM
With yesterday's funding announcement for a new Colisee, which might only benefit the junior hockey team Remparts for many years still even though there is a chance for a new NHL team in Quebec City, it is time for the City Council to get its act together on this one. Enough of the stupidity.

AuxTown
Feb 11, 2011, 4:23 PM
It's nice to see that Gatineau is not free from the idiocy that we experience here in Ottawa. Sometimes, living here makes me feel like I'm living in the movie "Idiocracy". The movie is pretty dumb but it really does a good job satirizing the state of North America today and where we might be heading. Check it out if you ever have a couple of spare hours: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

Cre47
Feb 11, 2011, 8:10 PM
Problem is: This project has divided the Council bigger then ever. Bureau's vision of a new arena on Montcalm is losing more and more support from the Council and actually since last week, a majority of council is against the project on Montcalm. This is becoming more and more likely, it will end up as a project on the site of the actual Robert-Guertin Arena. Hopefully, it won't just be a renovation project, became that will be just lame. A brand new arena is needed very badly as the BOB is falling apart.

KHOOLE
Feb 12, 2011, 5:24 PM
Problem is: This project has divided the Council bigger then ever. Bureau's vision of a new arena on Montcalm is losing more and more support from the Council and actually since last week, a majority of council is against the project on Montcalm. This is becoming more and more likely, it will end up as a project on the site of the actual Robert-Guertin Arena. Hopefully, it won't just be a renovation project, became that will be just lame. A brand new arena is needed very badly as the BOB is falling apart.

I hope that Bureau's idea carries the day. A "multifunctional" building would mean that there would be something going on nearly 24/7 in the old Hull downtown area and help to revitalize what should be a vibrant area with the Brewery Creek, green space, beer pubs, restaurants, theatres and nightlife Quebec style. Moreover, the O-train could go straight to it from the Bayview Yards and over the Prince of Wales bridge. It would be a wonderful tourism opportunity for Gatineau by attracting residents and tourists stuck in a very boring Uptown Ottawa.

Uhuniau
Feb 13, 2011, 12:55 AM
Moreover, the O-train could go straight to it from the Bayview Yards and over the Prince of Wales bridge.

Yes, but only once the Prince of Wales bridge is allowed to rot, then rebuilt in about 30 years as "BRT", then planned for conversion to O-Train use, then a new council is voted in in Ottawa, who can the plan, then replaced by one that supports the plan, then Gatineau council rejects the plan, and then they get replaced by a council which supports it, about which time the new Ottawa council rejects it, by which time the BRT bridge has to be replaced again anyway, with a regular traffic bridge with diamonds in the outside lanes, and then someone suggests maybe running a train into downtown Hull, so they decide to build a brand new rail bridge, but then the NCC decides it wouldn't be consistent with their vision of the world's most boring national capital, and insist that it be a tunnel, but the federal government won't pony up any cash, and some time in the 2300s there's this consultation process, and the cycle continues ad infinitum until the heat death of the sun.

KHOOLE
Feb 13, 2011, 4:30 PM
Yes, but only once the Prince of Wales bridge is allowed to rot, then rebuilt in about 30 years as "BRT", then planned for conversion to O-Train use, then a new council is voted in in Ottawa, who can the plan, then replaced by one that supports the plan, then Gatineau council rejects the plan, and then they get replaced by a council which supports it, about which time the new Ottawa council rejects it, by which time the BRT bridge has to be replaced again anyway, with a regular traffic bridge with diamonds in the outside lanes, and then someone suggests maybe running a train into downtown Hull, so they decide to build a brand new rail bridge, but then the NCC decides it wouldn't be consistent with their vision of the world's most boring national capital, and insist that it be a tunnel, but the federal government won't pony up any cash, and some time in the 2300s there's this consultation process, and the cycle continues ad infinitum until the heat death of the sun.

KHOOL! :haha: :haha: :haha:

Cre47
Mar 23, 2011, 3:47 AM
Sounds like some councillors want to meet with the one who is proposing the cheap renovation option at the actual site. What a shame! Given the horrendus shape of the current arena, might as well re-build it from scratch. All the walls, seating area, facade, ice surface, heating/cooling/ventaliation/plumbing has to be replaced. Not to mention due the extensiveness of the renovations needed to be done, it might force the Olympiques out of the arena for a season. Obviously, I'm completely against the renovations option, a new construction at the site would bother less, but the Brigil or EB site would be my favorite two options/locations.

Meantime, Wondering what would be the capacity for the complex with two ices at Nicolas-Gatineau will be. Probably not enough to suit the Olympiques unfortuneatly.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Mar 23, 2011, 3:50 AM

If I could sig this, I would. :haha::haha::haha:

:cheers:

reidjr
Mar 23, 2011, 11:33 AM
Sounds like some councillors want to meet with the one who is proposing the cheap renovation option at the actual site. What a shame! Given the horrendus shape of the current arena, might as well re-build it from scratch. All the walls, seating area, facade, ice surface, heating/cooling/ventaliation/plumbing has to be replaced. Not to mention due the extensiveness of the renovations needed to be done, it might force the Olympiques out of the arena for a season. Obviously, I'm completely against the renovations option, a new construction at the site would bother less, but the Brigil or EB site would be my favorite two options/locations.

Meantime, Wondering what would be the capacity for the complex with two ices at Nicolas-Gatineau will be. Probably not enough to suit the Olympiques unfortuneatly.

I am starting to wounder if the owner of the olympiques amd jeff hunt maybe should team up and build a sports complex at the eb site that could feature a arena for both teams a football stadium etc.As for the nicolas gatineau arena yes it would be to small as my understand the max the main rink will hold is just under 1000.

McC
Mar 23, 2011, 11:44 AM
I am starting to wounder if the owner of the olympiques amd jeff hunt maybe should team up and build a sports complex at the eb site that could feature a arena for both teams a football stadium etc.As for the nicolas gatineau arena yes it would be to small as my understand the max the main rink will hold is just under 1000.

non-starter, I'm pretty sure that the EB Eddy site is owned by the NCC.

reidjr
Mar 23, 2011, 12:54 PM
non-starter, I'm pretty sure that the EB Eddy site is owned by the NCC.

If both went to the ncc and ask the ncc to work with them and have a major input everyone could get what they want more or less.

Cre47
Mar 23, 2011, 2:32 PM
Expect that EB site to remain the eyesore as it is for at least 25 years, same thing along the Chaudiere Bridge corridor.

Any link to any redevelopment proposals for that site by the way. You can put the Tech Museum on the Tache side with the arena and probably some residential, office, commercial (restaurants, small stores, etc), and greenspace on the Laurier side not to mention a possible BRT/LRT corridor. Similar stuff should be done once Kroger on the other side of the Portage in front of City Hall will be gone.

Cre47
Mar 23, 2011, 2:45 PM
I was pretty sure that the Nicolas-Gatineau arena would be just for the Midget AAA team considering their current arena (Baribeau), like most of the other small public arenas (Campeau, Beaudry, Cholette, Sabourin) are in ruins and also much like Guertin in such dire need of renovations, that it might be better to rebuild it from scratch.

reidjr
Mar 23, 2011, 2:58 PM
Expect that EB site to remain the eyesore as it is for at least 25 years, same thing along the Chaudiere Bridge corridor.

Any link to any redevelopment proposals for that site by the way. You can put the Tech Museum on the Tache side with the arena and probably some residential, office, commercial (restaurants, small stores, etc), and greenspace on the Laurier side not to mention a possible BRT/LRT corridor. Similar stuff should be done once Kroger on the other side of the Portage in front of City Hall will be gone.

I just think if jeff hunt and the owner of the olympiques went to the ncc with a plan and the ncc would have a say and get alot out of it they would be silly to turn it down.

McC
Mar 23, 2011, 4:16 PM
I just think if jeff hunt and the owner of the olympiques went to the ncc with a plan and the ncc would have a say and get alot out of it they would be silly to turn it down.

and with a little pixie dust we might be able to turn the RCMP's chargers into unicorns; but in the real world, Jeff Hunt is part of the Lansdown redevelopment and the NCC has no interest whatsoever in local sports facilities.

Cre47
Apr 12, 2011, 4:53 PM
Mark this project as dead... well at least from the mayor's proposed site. The mayor was withdrew his support for this site as well as all but two of the remaining councillors who were in support of Bureau's project. Cost for acquiring those lands including expropriations are tabled at about $33 million and one factor for the higher than expected cost is the construction of the federal office tower on Eddy Street by Brocollini which increased the value of the lands targeted by the city for the arena.

Now, the question is whether it will be a renovation or a new construction on the actual site. Again as I've said before, the complete sad state of the current arena will probably force the city to build a brand new arena and tear down the current one afterwards.

reidjr
Apr 12, 2011, 5:16 PM
Mark this project as dead... well at least from the mayor's proposed site. The mayor was withdrew his support for this site as well as all but two of the remaining councillors who were in support of Bureau's project. Cost for acquiring those lands including expropriations are tabled at about $33 million and one factor for the higher than expected cost is the construction of the federal office tower on Eddy Street by Brocollini which increased the value of the lands targeted by the city for the arena.

Now, the question is whether it will be a renovation or a new construction on the actual site. Again as I've said before, the complete sad state of the current arena will probably force the city to build a brand new arena and tear down the current one afterwards.

What do you think is more likely a new one or a reno of the current one.

wingman
Apr 12, 2011, 7:34 PM
I've always thought having the new rink back onto des Allumeteries would be a great addition to that area. Might be able to convince an resto to open up there as well. Having the parking then behind the new rink into where the current rink is.

The new private rink at Nicolas-Gatineau will be small and will be used for the Midget AAA and also the AA regional teams at the Pee-Wee and Bantam levels. Also don't forget this rink is to have 2 pads, not just one!

Cre47
Apr 13, 2011, 2:36 AM
What do you think is more likely a new one or a reno of the current one.

City has stated there would be more risks with just a simple renovation. That might be a factor trend to a new construction and anyways as I said, the condition that this build is, the city would be much better off to make a full new construction. Just with the renovation, I would bet there would be still a lot of problems.

Cre47
May 24, 2011, 8:48 PM
A decision was finally made, the current Bob will be demolished and replaced by a brand arena on the current site. Cost will be $63 million. There will be 700 ground parking space and an additionnal 200 spaces in a multi-level structure.

Since, the Bureau project of having it built on Montcalm was dead, it was a no-brainer to just simply built a brand new arena on the actual site (although other sites could have been great too) since the renovation option would probably not end all the major issues the arena has been plagued. Remember during the QJMHL final, the ice essentially became a lake and they've barely been able to freeze the ice sufficently enough to not postpone Game 3. Another proof, that a new construction was much needed instead of the patchwork project by Mr. Brunet.

All this soap opera cost us the chance to host the Memorial Cup next year, so we will have to wait until 2015

wingman
May 25, 2011, 5:13 PM
Glad the decision is made, though it could have been made years ago...

Arena will back on des Allumettieres, with the current site being used as parking. Really looking forward to this getting built. One interesting note is a request from the Olympiques owner - he wants the seat pitch to be the same as it is now - he wants to keep the crowd on top of the ice! Hope they can do that, there isn't a rink around with the atmoshpere of the Bob ;-)

I am skeptical of us getting the Memorial Cup for 2015, we may have to wait until 2018 (I am guessing Cape Breton will get the 2015 if they bid for it). Either way, this is great news!

Cre47
Dec 2, 2011, 7:49 PM
Wow, this project really shows how bad the mayor is fairing. He gave the federal government until the Holidays on to decide whether they contribute to the project even though many of us knew that the feds refused to fund for stadiums and arenas. Although, the federal government has refused to fund for the arena, isn't the 20 million in new revenues from the new federal buildings constitute an indirect/de-facto contribution by the federal government should councillors agree to use the 20 million for the project instead of acting shelfishly for insignificant community projects. This is a great opportunity to restore unity within this council. Many of the councillors seems to agree on using the 20 million for the Bob and even before the refusal, Councillor Da Silva said he would use the $1 million that was destined for his ward (as the $20 million was initially planned to be divided per district) to be used on Guertin instead.

However they need to decide now, so before the Holidays. The arena was shut down several days last month because of more issues, another proof that a cheap renovation wouldn't solve the problems with the current building.

Cre47
Dec 6, 2011, 8:15 PM
So the project gets the approval but only with a 4000-seat complex instead. All because of the feds. I understand why they don't want to contribute for arenas and stadiums but an arena for junior hockey is more useful than all the waste the feds have been spending since 2006 (jails, F-35 jets, etc.). It's unfortunate they've only used $5.5 out of the $20 million out of the revenue generated by the new/future federal buildings. Enough the political rant as it will last over 2 pages. Cost will be $50 million in total.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/ottawa/2011/12/05/003-entente-centre-multifonctionnel-gatineau.shtml

reidjr
Dec 11, 2011, 10:25 PM
So the project gets the approval but only with a 4000-seat complex instead. All because of the feds. I understand why they don't want to contribute for arenas and stadiums but an arena for junior hockey is more useful than all the waste the feds have been spending since 2006 (jails, F-35 jets, etc.). It's unfortunate they've only used $5.5 out of the $20 million out of the revenue generated by the new/future federal buildings. Enough the political rant as it will last over 2 pages. Cost will be $50 million in total.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/ottawa/2011/12/05/003-entente-centre-multifonctionnel-gatineau.shtml

Any idea when construction will start?

Cre47
Dec 11, 2011, 11:40 PM
Any idea when construction will start?

They are hoping to have this built for 2014, now I've heard someone thinking Cape Breton might run for the 2015 Memorial Cup thinking probably at earliest the tournament will be in 2018. But with the reduction in seats planned from 5000 to 4000 that will probably hurt.

Meanwhile, after the season, city will spent 800 000$ on emergency repairs so it the arena will hang on until the opening of the new arena. Sounds like one possible contender for building the arena might be Multivesco which was a contender in the initial PPP renovation project which was rejected by the provincial government for procedural reasons.

I hope groundbreaking will start next spring though but we will have to wait for the offers by the potential contenders, but maybe it can be sometime next year..

Cre47
May 14, 2012, 11:47 PM
They are hoping to have this built for 2014, now I've heard someone thinking Cape Breton might run for the 2015 Memorial Cup thinking probably at earliest the tournament will be in 2018. But with the reduction in seats planned from 5000 to 4000 that will probably hurt.

Meanwhile, after the season, city will spent 800 000$ on emergency repairs so it the arena will hang on until the opening of the new arena. Sounds like one possible contender for building the arena might be Multivesco which was a contender in the initial PPP renovation project which was rejected by the provincial government for procedural reasons.

I hope groundbreaking will start next spring though but we will have to wait for the offers by the potential contenders, but maybe it can be sometime next year..

The provincial government has officially announced the founding of 26.5 million for the arena. Finally, I would say the fiasco is over... well there is still the construction part that could maybe be a problem... just look at the sports complex which had several delays even during the construction phrase and still more issues AFTER the opening.

Of course it's election year in Quebec so spending will fly especially with the potential of the PQ regaining power or perhaps the new "ADQ" led by Mr. Legault

jt-mtl
Jul 22, 2013, 8:29 PM
Check it out,

The City of Gatineau has released this video showing the new Gatineau Arena:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxZpRuLUWl4

At 3:02 of the video, you can see the renders of the new complex.

Jt-MTL

J.OT13
Jul 22, 2013, 11:27 PM
Nice building, but sad to see Bob's last stand. Too bad it doesn't have a better connection to the Rapibus.

Capital Shaun
Jul 22, 2013, 11:50 PM
Nice building, but sad to see Bob's last stand. Too bad it doesn't have a better connection to the Rapibus.

I work near the Montcalm station (in the industrial/commercial area north of Allumetière blvd) and I can tell you there's been little thought put into pedestrians connections. There's no pedestrians access to the Montcalm station from the North (ie. Allumetière blvd). It is only accessible form the South along Montcalm.

J.OT13
Jul 23, 2013, 12:04 AM
I work near the Montcalm station (in the industrial/commercial area north of Allumetière blvd) and I can tell you there's been little thought put into pedestrians connections. There's no pedestrians access to the Montcalm station from the North (ie. Allumetière blvd). It is only accessible form the South along Montcalm.

Poorly planned system. It's like nothing beyond the busway crossed there mind. At least in Ottawa the Regional government invested in pedestrian bridges and tunnels where necessary to better connect with communities and landmarks. Just seems like a safe, pleasant, well lit pedestrian connection to a huge investment like the Centre Multifonctionnel would be an obvious priority.

It's great to have a bunch of different projects (Rapibus, Centre Multifonctionnel, Destination Gatineau...) but you need a way to build a relationship between them.

jt-mtl
Jul 23, 2013, 1:00 AM
I agree...Though I am happy to see these kinds of developments, I would have preferred the new arena was in its original place, at the corner of Montcalm and Wellington to create a downtown vibrancy.

I think they decided to put it where it is because:

1. They want to rejuvenate that area of the city, hopefuly spurning more residential development in that are. You can already see a block away (on Carillon and Allumetieres), they have a condo/aprtment complex going up.

2. Easy access for cars/roadie trucks to get out, with the entrance to highway 50 right there, and for people who want to head back to Ottawa (via the bridge or highway 5).

3. And third, it still closer for Ottawa downtown folk to attend an event there, than Kanata or the RA Centre. If anything, this new building should attract more events than just the hockey games. I think that's why they are branding it a multifunctional centre rather tham just an arena.

One thing I love in the renders, is how they have the natural light coming into the arena...hopefully that will part of the new building.

J.OT13
Jul 23, 2013, 1:11 AM
I agree...Though I am happy to see these kinds of developments, I would have preferred the new arena was in its original place, at the corner of Montcalm and Wellington to create a downtown vibrancy.

I think they decided to put it where it is because:

1. They want to rejuvenate that area of the city, hopefuly spurning more residential development in that are. You can already see a block away (on Carillon and Allumetieres), they have a condo/aprtment complex going up.

2. Easy access for cars/roadie trucks to get out, with the entrance to highway 50 right there, and for people who want to head back to Ottawa (via the bridge or highway 5).

3. And third, it still closer for Ottawa downtown folk to attend an event there, than Kanata or the RA Centre. If anything, this new building should attract more events than just the hockey games. I think that's why they are branding it a multifunctional centre rather tham just an arena.

One thing I love in the renders, is how they have the natural light coming into the arena...hopefully that will part of the new building.

I think the main reason they went with the site was because the Montcalm/Wellington proposal was too expensive. But yes, it would have been a better spot.

It will be a good place for smaller, more intimate concerts, sort of in between the Corel Centre and the NAC. Probably cheaper to use then the Civic Centre as well , not to mention more parking.

I wish the Rapibus Station would have been built north of des Allumettières with a bridge or tunnel to the new Centre.

I sure hope the area gets redeveloped and eventually connects with the rest of the "Downtown Island of Hull", creating a proper continuation of the downtown area.

Renders are pretty nice. The place could end up pretty awesome.

Capital Shaun
Jul 23, 2013, 1:50 AM
Poorly planned system. It's like nothing beyond the busway crossed there mind. At least in Ottawa the Regional government invested in pedestrian bridges and tunnels where necessary to better connect with communities and landmarks. Just seems like a safe, pleasant, well lit pedestrian connection to a huge investment like the Centre Multifonctionnel would be an obvious priority.

It's great to have a bunch of different projects (Rapibus, Centre Multifonctionnel, Destination Gatineau...) but you need a way to build a relationship between them.

There's even a MUP along the creek (ruisseau de la brasserie) they could have leveraged to make connections to the Rapibus station. Currently that MUP goes beneath Montcalm with no official ramps to that road.

Ottawa's pedestrians connection to the Transitway aren't perfect but they're way better than what Gatineau is about to give us.

agl
Jul 23, 2013, 5:47 PM
There's even a MUP along the creek (ruisseau de la brasserie) they could have leveraged to make connections to the Rapibus station. Currently that MUP goes beneath Montcalm with no official ramps to that road.

Ottawa's pedestrians connection to the Transitway aren't perfect but they're way better than what Gatineau is about to give us.

While there is no "official" ramp between the MUP running beside rivière de la Brasserie and Montcalm, the path it is easily reached on either side of Montcalm except for perhaps someone in a wheelchair. From there the path goes north under Allumettières to a ramp providing access to the sidewalk that will be directly in front of the arena, so no major streets to cross. Probably a 5 minute walk at most, which is not too bad. I agree though that a paved ramp would be better than the dirt path currently in place, and I imagine/hope this is in the works as part of the rue Montcalm makeover.

In the end I imagine most rapibus users will end up crossing Allumettières at Morin and walking to Montcalm via Morin & Papineau for any events ending at night, unless they decide to put lights up along the pathway (or are there lights there already?).

They also may have STO buses stopped in front of the arena on Allumettières or in the parking lot, ready to head out onto the 50 as soon as they fill up with the onramp less than 100m away.

Capital Shaun
Jul 23, 2013, 6:14 PM
While there is no "official" ramp between the MUP running beside rivière de la Brasserie and Montcalm, the path it is easily reached on either side of Montcalm except for perhaps someone in a wheelchair. From there the path goes north under Allumettières to a ramp providing access to the sidewalk that will be directly in front of the arena, so no major streets to cross. Probably a 5 minute walk at most, which is not too bad. I agree though that a paved ramp would be better than the dirt path currently in place, and I imagine/hope this is in the works as part of the rue Montcalm makeover.

In winter those makeshift paths are unusable for many and that MUP isn't currently plowed. Also the sections under Allumetière & Montcalm are also prone to spring flooding. The path could be used year round to connect to the Montcalm station but it would require some upgrades and winter maintenance.

In the end I imagine most rapibus users will end up crossing Allumettières at Morin and walking to Montcalm via Morin & Papineau for any events ending at night, unless they decide to put lights up along the pathway (or are there lights there already?).

At the moment there are no lights along that pathway but you are correct, they could cut through the residential area south of the arena.

They also may have STO buses stopped in front of the arena on Allumettières or in the parking lot, ready to head out onto the 50 as soon as they fill up with the onramp less than 100m away.

Actually, an STO bus leaving the arena can easily access the rapibus by turning left off Allumetière onto its onramp. Of course that only benefits the arena when there's events.

Cre47
Feb 22, 2014, 4:41 PM
Sorry for those old topic revivals lately

It appears according to the French CBC, the province may announce this week the authorization of the construction of the new arena by way of decree . Founding was already granted in 2012 - see post above. Now of course with my usual political cynicism, much like in Ontario there is an election smell in Quebec and it could be imminent as well.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/ottawa/2014/02/19/003-pauline-annonce-centremulti.shtml
http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/ottawa/2014/02/12/008-gatineau-centre-multifonctionnel-decret-ministeriel.shtml

Kitchissippi
Feb 22, 2014, 6:04 PM
http://img.src.ca/2013/06/18/635x357/130618_aq52v_centre_multi_gatineau_sn635.jpg

Tabaslak, that's ugly and completely indifferent to context, with zero pedestrian consideration. They should expropriate the block of dinky houses to the west of the site and build something that takes advantage of the creekside location and its pathway connections.

Cre47
Feb 23, 2014, 4:31 PM
Definitely the houses (assuming you're talking about the ones between Morin and the Hwy 50 on-ramp) should go. Add a bit business besides the new arena, so maybe people can stick around a bit after the Piques Games or other events. There was mention during the entire saga about adding hundreds of new residential units, although haven't heard they it will still be built. Maybe a new grocery store would be good even though already one might be built further in downtown.

Also regarding the homes on Morin and the corner must be really tough living right beside a highway as well as an increasingly busy arterial road - I say tougher since they've completed the new Highway 148 routing to Aylmer.

Acajack
Feb 24, 2014, 3:41 AM
http://img.src.ca/2013/06/18/635x357/130618_aq52v_centre_multi_gatineau_sn635.jpg

Tabaslak, that's ugly and completely indifferent to context, with zero pedestrian consideration. They should expropriate the block of dinky houses to the west of the site and build something that takes advantage of the creekside location and its pathway connections.

If you look at this video you will see it is not really that bad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxZpRuLUWl4

Aylmer
Feb 24, 2014, 2:05 PM
Actually, that video pretty much confirms to me that the design is an awful continuation of Place-du-Portage-esque concrete plazas devoid of the happy people so prominently figured in the renders.

Who are all these people? Where are they going? What reason do they have to stay and where do they sit?

This is a drive-trough design: no one is going to walk across the A-50 from the Rapibus station to get there or stroll along the minimum-width sidewalks on the 6-lane Des Allumettières. They're also not going to sit in the unshaded concrete plaza to watch cars speed past.

No, they're going to drive in on the highway, park in the garage and drive out as soon as they're done.

No matter how many imaginary render-pedestrians they put there to make it seem as busy as Union Square, it can't hide the fact that the neo-modernist design will insure that the only pedestrians there will be ones walking to their cars.

Acajack
Feb 24, 2014, 2:22 PM
Perhaps my expectations are too low. What is being proposed looks like a huge improvement over what we have at the moment.

Capital Shaun
Feb 24, 2014, 5:32 PM
Actually, that video pretty much confirms to me that the design is an awful continuation of Place-du-Portage-esque concrete plazas devoid of the happy people so prominently figured in the renders.

Who are all these people? Where are they going? What reason do they have to stay and where do they sit?

This is a drive-trough design: no one is going to walk across the A-50 from the Rapibus station to get there or stroll along the minimum-width sidewalks on the 6-lane Des Allumettières. They're also not going to sit in the unshaded concrete plaza to watch cars speed past.

No, they're going to drive in on the highway, park in the garage and drive out as soon as they're done.

No matter how many imaginary render-pedestrians they put there to make it seem as busy as Union Square, it can't hide the fact that the neo-modernist design will insure that the only pedestrians there will be ones walking to their cars.

Agree wholeheartedly with your comments.

Kitchissippi
Feb 24, 2014, 5:54 PM
The whole skewing of the building (which is its main design feature) as a "réponse nature" is utterly contrived and weak based on the angle of Gatineau Park's border at the Lac-des-Fées parkway. Ruisseau de la Brasserie is right there under its nose, and that's the nature it should respond to. Old Hull's street grid is almost perfectly north-south/east-west, and this skew to me looks more like it's aligned with downtown Ottawa's street grid

Aylmer
Feb 24, 2014, 11:06 PM
The whole skewing of the building (which is its main design feature) as a "réponse nature" is utterly contrived and weak based on the angle of Gatineau Park's border at the Lac-des-Fées parkway. Ruisseau de la Brasserie is right there under its nose, and that's the nature it should respond to. Old Hull's street grid is almost perfectly north-south/east-west, and this skew to me looks more like it's aligned with downtown Ottawa's street grid

It's this kind of 'Réponse' bullcrap that discredits architecture. I mean, really, what is that even supposed to mean at all? And all these 'inspirations' of Valleys and Blue and Green - give me a friggn break.

Architecture isn't supposed to be some stand-alone life-sized sculpture which belongs in the MoMA. Buildings are cells in an organism - they need to work together if they are ever to be beautiful anywhere but on paper. This building could be anywhere. You could build it in Phoenix, in Anchorage or on Mars and it would still be as contextually irrelevant as it is in Gatineau. I mean, there's not even an acknowledgement of anything surrounding it besides the completely meaningless 'réponse' crap. And you know, this is what I'm so sick of - this kind of context-less architecture creates the placelessness our cities currently suffer of.

Why not integrate it with the Ruisseau de la Brasserie? Or how about redesigning Des Allumettières with the Centre Multi in mind? Or just anything, ANYTHING but another removed brutalist plaza and a shoppers'-hell-style building-in-a-parking-lot.

I beg of you.

Acajack
May 14, 2014, 1:51 PM
Coup de théâtre (spectacular turn of events) on this file yesterday.

The Ville de Gatineau has rejected all of the proposals filed by contractors to build the new arena, and smelling something fishy, has turned the file over to the UPAC, which is a pseudo-police force that investigates corruption and collusion and is the feeder for the highly publicized Commission Charbonneau.

The subsidy from Quebec for the arena is not in danger, though, and the mayor says if they can iron a few things out quickly there is still a good chance they can meet the deadline.

So stay tuned...

Radster
May 14, 2014, 2:28 PM
Coup de théâtre (spectacular turn of events) on this file yesterday.

The Ville de Gatineau has rejected all of the proposals filed by contractors to build the new arena, and smelling something fishy, has turned the file over to the UPAC, which is a pseudo-police force that investigates corruption and collusion and is the feeder for the highly publicized Commission Charbonneau.

The subsidy from Quebec for the arena is not in danger, though, and the mayor says if they can iron a few things out quickly there is still a good chance they can meet the deadline.

So stay tuned...

Good for them, this smells like a blatant case of BID RIGGING!!!!

Also, if they had a certain budget for the project, then why did they not make that a financial mandatory criterion - ie. Financial proposal MUST NOT be higher than $XX. So maybe this was a RFP fail too on the part of the city, which led to bid rigging...

phil235
May 14, 2014, 2:35 PM
Good for them, this smells like a blatant case of BID RIGGING!!!!

Also, if they had a certain budget for the project, then why did they not make that a financial mandatory criterion - ie. Financial proposal MUST NOT be higher than $XX. So maybe this was a RFP fail too on the part of the city, which led to bid rigging...

Setting a price doesn't prevent bid-rigging. In most cases, it just tends to draw all bids into a narrow band just under that price.

Radster
May 14, 2014, 3:00 PM
Setting a price doesn't prevent bid-rigging. In most cases, it just tends to draw all bids into a narrow band just under that price.

Setting a ceiling, not setting a price. They are free to bid at the max, or below. Might be good to go a bit lower than the max for example. Anyway, RFPs are tough for big projects, especially in construction.

Acajack
May 14, 2014, 3:33 PM
This morning, one of the companies that bid on the project (and the lowest bidder I think, so the likely winner of the process), has fired back at the city with a "mise en demeure" - sort of like a legal warning (do this or else we will undertake legal procedures against you).

phil235
May 14, 2014, 3:35 PM
This morning, one of the companies that bid on the project (and the lowest bidder I think, so the likely winner of the process), has fired back at the city with a "mise en demeure" - sort of like a legal warning (do this or else we will undertake legal procedures against you).

Sounds like this is not going anywhere fast.

Acajack
May 14, 2014, 3:42 PM
Sounds like this is not going anywhere fast.

My guess is that Pomerleau (the company in question) are not too pleased about having their name associated with corruption/collusion, and as frustrated or more about putting together a bid for nothing (maybe) and having to restart the whole thing again.

phil235
May 14, 2014, 4:16 PM
My guess is that Pomerleau (the company in question) are not too pleased about having their name associated with corruption/collusion, and as frustrated or more about putting together a bid for nothing (maybe) and having to restart the whole thing again.

I think that is bang on. That and they want the process to continue so they get the contract.

Boxster
May 14, 2014, 4:17 PM
Does anyone know how much the CT Centre cost?

The Gatineau one may end up costing between $50M and $65M.

Just trying to put things in perspective.

J.OT13
May 14, 2014, 4:31 PM
According to Wikipedia, the Corel Centre cost 170 million in 1996, or 235 million in 2014 dollars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Tire_Centre

Boxster
May 14, 2014, 5:18 PM
Thanks J.OT13

So four times the price for four times the capacity. Makes sense.

According to Wikipedia, the Corel Centre cost 170 million in 1996, or 235 million in 2014 dollars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Tire_Centre

Cre47
Jun 3, 2015, 1:15 AM
Proposal is officially dead... again. Hey maybe we will still talk about a proposed new arena replacing the BOB in Gatineau in 2050 or beyond. The BS is so incredible in this project. If I was the owner, I would threaten to move the Olympiques out of Gatineau so maybe it will force city councillors to get their heads out of you know what on this topic. Only chance to see a new arena and the Olympiques staying in Gatineau would be a P-3 similar to the arena at Nicolas-Gatineau High School in the east end

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/gatineau-arena-plan-dead-leaving-qmjhl-s-olympiques-in-tough-spot-1.3097413

Horus
Jun 3, 2015, 1:33 PM
This Citizen article (http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/interview-with-gatineau-mayor-about-calling-in-quebecs-anti-corruption-squad)seems to indicate that they're still committed to demo the Bob in 3 years. I'm not sure that's going to result in a more economical solution to build a new rink.

Boxster
Jun 3, 2015, 5:15 PM
The BAD thing is that the city is losing the subsidy of over $20M.

The GOOD thing is that as a taxpayer of Gatineau, I am not funding the Olympiques de Gatineau organization.

Let them leave the city.

phil235
Jun 3, 2015, 6:46 PM
The BAD thing is that the city is losing the subsidy of over $20M.

The GOOD thing is that as a taxpayer of Gatineau, I am not funding the Olympiques de Gatineau organization.

Let them leave the city.

?

Why would you wish that they leave the city? They have been a pretty important local institution for 50 years.

Boxster
Jun 3, 2015, 7:11 PM
?

Why would you wish that they leave the city? They have been a pretty important local institution for 50 years.

I say leave the city only if you cannot be self sustaining. :)

phil235
Jun 3, 2015, 8:01 PM
I say leave the city only if you cannot be self sustaining. :)

I could be wrong, but I don't think that there is a junior hockey team in Canada that plays in a facility that wasn't built with public money. Gatineau is unlikely to be the first.

The question for me is whether a spectator arena provides a public benefit for the citizens of Gatineau. To me, the answer is pretty clearly yes. If Gatineau was to demolish its existing arena as suggested, it would be in pretty scant company in terms of cities of that size without a public facility to allow it to host those the type of events envisioned for the Centre Multifonctionnel. Would that have an impact in terms of whether Gatineau is a desirable place to live, and its attractiveness to capital? I would say so, and that has a broader impact.

I suspect that the prospect of no arena means that some sort of PPP will end up being developed, and the city will put in funding in the way of guaranteed rental, land etc., but will have little say in the way the building is operated. Often that ends up being a worse deal for the taxpayers.

J.OT13
Jun 5, 2015, 12:04 AM
Gatineau needs to build an arena, not for the Olympiques de Hull, but for the City. So much time has been wasted dithering on this file, we could have built the dam thing by now for much cheaper than it will ever be. This the bridge issue, or LRT again, if only on smaller scale.

I'm hopping Brigil (most likely) and the City of Gatineau can come up with a proper solution that can be planned and executed before the Bob gets torn down. Worse case scenario, they could do like the 67s in 67' and play across the river for half a season while a new building is u/c.

As for the Olympics in general, they are an important part of the community, not to mention a great source of NHL talent!

acottawa
Jun 5, 2015, 2:09 AM
If they end up building a lebretton arena they can play there - it is less than 100m from Gatineau

JHikka
Jun 5, 2015, 4:59 AM
If the Bob is demo'd and there is no arena built the city will not be keeping the Olympiques. No questions asked.

In terms of building a new events centre, Gatineau is now in the same position as Moncton in determining how much of an economic impact a new centre has. The Bob, because it's an old run-down barn, is only good for hockey. Most other facilities in the Q can be used for concerts, trade shows, events...all of which generate income and economic spinoff for local businesses and the city as a whole. Building a new hockey arena also opens up the possibility of hosting one-off events (Russian Super Series, Prospects Game) or tournaments (Memorial Cup, World Juniors, etc.). Not to mention non-hockey events, including curling, figure skating, or perhaps basketball or other indoor sports if one so chooses. If City Council thinks none of these provide for a solid economic investment then i'm not sure what else could be said to sway them.

Hull/Gatineau has been a tremendous franchise for a number of years and it would be a shame to lose them. If there are plans in place to build a new arena i'm sure they could play at Lansdowne during the construction phase, but if there are no concrete plans one would assume the team would be toast.

phil235
Jun 5, 2015, 2:14 PM
If the Bob is demo'd and there is no arena built the city will not be keeping the Olympiques. No questions asked.

In terms of building a new events centre, Gatineau is now in the same position as Moncton in determining how much of an economic impact a new centre has. The Bob, because it's an old run-down barn, is only good for hockey. Most other facilities in the Q can be used for concerts, trade shows, events...all of which generate income and economic spinoff for local businesses and the city as a whole. Building a new hockey arena also opens up the possibility of hosting one-off events (Russian Super Series, Prospects Game) or tournaments (Memorial Cup, World Juniors, etc.). Not to mention non-hockey events, including curling, figure skating, or perhaps basketball or other indoor sports if one so chooses. If City Council thinks none of these provide for a solid economic investment then i'm not sure what else could be said to sway them.

Hull/Gatineau has been a tremendous franchise for a number of years and it would be a shame to lose them. If there are plans in place to build a new arena i'm sure they could play at Lansdowne during the construction phase, but if there are no concrete plans one would assume the team would be toast.

That is all very true. Not to mention the fact that Gatineau will be in the same position as any other suburb of Ottawa, incapable of hosting any major events of its own. I'm all for better integration of the metro area, but that would not be a great result for Gatineau.