PDA

View Full Version : Montreal and Lafontaine

Uhuniau
Apr 19, 2010, 11:15 PM
Big lot, formerly a gas station, closed and boarded up about a year and a half ago... now bears a sign that it's been sold.

There's high-rise apartments to the east and west, and some suburban set-back commercial buildings nearby... but also some that are tight to the streetline of Montreal Road. Hopefully the opportunity to do something great on this site won't be lost. It could be the latest round of the turnaround for Vanier.

c_speed3108
Apr 20, 2010, 12:46 PM
I saw this taking a bus home Friday night and forgot to post it. Hopefully some good will go there and it is not simply some land speculator.

It is one of about 3 or 4 really good development sites along Montreal road. There is a great on at the corner of begin street (we could maybe begin there). I am also loving the way the Montreal road strip is becoming Ottawa's mural city. There are some really great ones telling the history of old hotels, the railway line that used to run through etc..

Uhuniau
Apr 20, 2010, 3:22 PM
I saw this taking a bus home Friday night and forgot to post it. Hopefully some good will go there and it is not simply some land speculator.

It is one of about 3 or 4 really good development sites along Montreal road. There is a great on at the corner of begin street (we could maybe begin there). I am also loving the way the Montreal road strip is becoming Ottawa's mural city. There are some really great ones telling the history of old hotels, the railway line that used to run through etc..

The Montreal-Bégin site (next to the Jean Coutu) was up for sale, but that sign seems to have vanished without a "sold" sign taking its place. There was also a plan to redevelop around the Vanier Grill location, which seems to have been sidetracked.

Too bad the Shoppers at the Vanier Parkway wasn't redeveloped to bring it to the street after the fire about a decade ago. The big parking lot right at the entrance to Vanier from the Rideau River bridge is also screaming out. Reminds me of the corner lot that used to greet you as you went east over the Laurier bridge, which is now the arts building at U of O; completely changed the aspect. The bingo hall is also a great target, as well as some of the single-storey commercial buildings on the north side, between River and the Parkway. They have great streetlines, but could easily be two or three storeys.

Now, if only the local busybodies can be convinced to NOT close more intersections on Montreal Road, and if some of the surface lots could be replaced with street-wall buildings... along with the condo developments that are starting to creep into the east side, you have an eastern Westboro in the making.

Eastboro, if you will! Or perhaps they can revive Eastview?