PDA

View Full Version : 1375 & 1379 Wellington St | 16m | 4fl

blackjagger
Mar 2, 2010, 3:37 PM
Another car lot bites the dust.

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__7XXECG

Can someone post the images for me please, at work.

Cheers,
Josh

waterloowarrior
Mar 2, 2010, 9:20 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4401632685_a94c7b581a_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4054/4401632729_ecd3bfe188_o.jpg

community association position
http://blog.westwellington.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/WWCA-Letter-to-C-of-A-re-Cafe-Mio-Feb-10.pdf

Ottawan
Mar 2, 2010, 10:54 PM
This is just about the perfect scale of development for the site. Not everything in the corridor should be 6+, but a four storey development on this size of lot & at that location is appropriate intensification, and the 'parking pressure' on Western (as argued by the community association) should not be considered a serious concern.

waterloowarrior
Mar 2, 2010, 11:27 PM
This is the variance btw (for the 3 March 2010 meeting):

PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION
The Owner wants to construct a 4-storey addition on the east side of the existing 2-storey mixed use, commercial/residential building (Cafe Mio), as shown on plans filed with the Committee. The proposed addition will contain retail and office uses, and 3 residential dwelling units, with 8 parking spaces located at the rear of the property.

RELIEF REQUIRED

In order to proceed, the Owner requires the Authority of the Committee for the following Minor Variances from the Zoning By-law:

a) To permit a reduced parking aisle width of 5.45 metres, whereas the By-law requires a minimum parking aisle width of 6.7 metres.

b) To permit a reduced width for a landscape buffer to 0 metres, whereas the By-law requires a minimum landscape buffer width of 3.0 metres, for a parking lot containing 10 or fewer parking spaces.
http://www.kitchissippiward.com/committee-of-adjustment-summary-of-applications-for-march-3-2010/

Won't a reduced parking aisle allow more room for additional parking spaces?
And if you had a landscaped buffer, you couldn't even fit the parking on site, given that there's only 60 cm between the end of the parking spot and the property line, and the parking goes right up to the wall/steps of the building (unless you significantly reduced the size of the proposed building in favour of more parking I guess).
I would think this should go through, then again, I've heard some interesting stories about the Central CofA panel ;) Maybe they'll figure out a compromise.

Personally I'm all in favour of tighter spaces like this and using public lanes effectively. We don't need suburban parking standards in our urban neighbourhoods.

Proof Sheet
Mar 3, 2010, 12:04 AM
I would think this should go through, then again, I've heard some interesting stories about the Central CofA panel ;) Maybe they'll figure out a compromise.

I agree with you on the 'interesting' stories about the Central Panel (Panel 1). When you are in front of that panel you never know what kind of questions you are going to get asked or what kind of decision they are going to render...certain members of the panel are more 'interesting' than others in the eyes of those who are often in front of the panel.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Mar 3, 2010, 4:18 AM
Very nice. Could use a little more density in that area.

waterloowarrior
Mar 19, 2010, 8:59 PM
Parking, greenspace major concern for WWCA
Posted Mar 19, 2010
BY PHIL AMBROZIAK
http://www.emcottawawest.ca/20100319/news/Parking,+greenspace+major+concern+for+WWCA

EMC News - Some may consider it a minor variance, but to the West Wellington Community Association (WWCA), the reduction of greenspace to accommodate development is a major concern.

The WWCA expressed such concerns to the City of Ottawa's committee of adjustment as they pertain to a development application for 1375 Wellington St. W. The subject property is 609.5 square metres in size and is located at the northeast corner of Wellington St. W. and Western Ave. A two-storey mixed-use building and a used car parking lot are currently located on the site. The property is designated a traditional main street/general urban area according to the City of Ottawa Official Plan and zoned traditional main street with a height restriction of 18 metres. The site is surrounded by a mix of residential and commercial uses.

The purpose of the application is to enlarge an existing mixed-use building on the site. The proposed four-storey (16 metre) mixed-use addition with a proposed area of 777.9 square metres is to be added. The new building would included retail space on the main floor, office space on the second floor and a total of three residential units on the third and fourth floors. The addition would occupy and replace the existing used car parking lot. Parking for the site would be located at the rear of the lot and accessed via an existing un-maintained public lane off Western Ave.

"There are only two elements that need variance on - the laneway at the back of the building and the landscaping," explained Kitchissippi ward Coun. Christine Leadman. "The committee of adjustment will consider and submissions that are given."

One submission that has already come forward was a written letter from Jason Thomson, president of the WWCA.

"The West Wellington Community Association has been made aware that the owner of Café Mio has submitted an application to the city for the development of a four-storey addition on the east side of the existing two-storey building at 1375 Wellington Ave.," Mr. Thomson wrote. "I would like it to be clear that the WWCA generally supports the concept of intensification. However, as a community association, we are very concerned with ensuring that the interests of community members in the immediate vicinity of all development proposals are considered so as to ensure that the end result yields an acceptable outcome to those most affected. On this point, the WWCA has significant concerns in regards to this proposal."

Mr. Thomson's letter goes on to state that several neighbours have also written to the committee with concerns regarding the requested reduction in the required parking aisle width.

"The WWCA supports and echoes their concerns," he continued. "The extent to which Western Ave. is already experiencing significant parking pressure should not be underestimated. In regard to the requested reduction in the required landscape buffer to zero: the WWCA strongly feels that a variance to completely ignore greenspace requirements cannot be considered to be minor.

Mr. Thompson wrote that the city should ensure property owners protect green space in the quickly developing area, noting that five years ago a row of trees nearby was removed without city permission. He continued that the city should consider requiring a natural buffer in the area between the proposed development and existing community.

With regard to traffic concerns, Coun. Leadman explained that because of the small nature of the development, a traffic study was not required. She did note, however, that the committee of adjustment would take into consideration all concerns of neighbours and abutting properties.

"These are minor variances to an existing property," she said. "It does not require everything that a larger development would. The members of the committee will look at the soundness of all arguments and make a value judgment."

The committee was expected to discuss the matter on March 3.

"But, there is no guarantee they will make a decision that day," she said.

danny the dog
Mar 19, 2010, 9:44 PM
:previous:
I don't know about anyone else but the statement for the CA gets me a bit riled up and only goes to show that some people will oppose or complain about anything. The proposal fits pretty much all of the requirements, at least in regards to height, so people complain due to a lack of green space. For god sakes it was a used car lot, anything is a vast improvement. As for green space, hop on your bike for 10 minutes in any direction and there is tons of green space in that area.

ajldub
Mar 19, 2010, 10:25 PM
This property has great scale, the only way to improve it would be to tear down the Cafe Mio building and do the whole lot.

brighat38
Apr 27, 2010, 7:50 PM
My parents used to own that property from 1966 to 2005. I think putting a new building there in its place would make perfect sense since that neighborhood is getting a big facelift with all the new properties being built.

kevinbottawa
Mar 25, 2013, 1:58 PM
Anyone know what happened to this proposal? Obviously it was never built.