Description Architects: • FXFOWLE • Renzo Piano Building Workshop
Developer: Forest City Ratner Companies
• The building is anchored by the New York Times newspaper (floors 1 through 28) with other tenants on the remaining floors. The design life is expected to be 100 years.
• Double layered facade: A system of small ceramic tubes covering transparent glass which permit the tubes to show the color of the sky. The Times headline above the 8th Ave. entry is printed in 10,166 pt. Fratur font.
• Plantings and gardens are also be placed at the roof top and within an internal open air atrium inside the podium.
• While the building does make use of current energy saving technology, it is not expected to become LEED certified.
• Upper section of spire is designed to sway slightly in the wind.
• Fourth tallest building in New York as of 2010, behind the Empire State Building, Bank of America Tower and Chrysler Building.
Do you see any incorrect data on this page? Please let our editors know of any corrections you can make by posting them in the Database Corrections section of the discussion forum (open to the public).