|150 North Michigan Avenue|
Chicago IL United States
| - office|
| - highrise|
| - postmodern|
| - glass|
| - steel|
| - concrete, reinforced|
| ||Heights|| ||Value||Source / Comments|| |
• Architect & Designer: Sheldon Schlegman, A. Epstein and Sons International Inc.
• Located at the northwest corner of Grant Park, on the former site of the John Crerar Library, its spire top is oriented toward the lakefront, resembling a sailboat.
• Opened on 1984, initial plans could make it 5 stories taller.
• The southeast section is cut at the base, with a triangular column containing a public stairway to the nearby Metra train station.
• Its main design is a diamond-shaped slope, outlined with white light bulbs. On holidays it is commonly replaced with colored lights. Also on special occasions, the windows inside are lit in patterns spelling short messages as sports team names. It is splitted diagonally down of the middle. The right and left sides are slightly disjointed, and at the top they are actually separated by a gap.
• The official count of 41 floors does not include 5 levels of unused space atop the narrowest diamond portion.
• Service cores, rotated 45° in relation to the street grid, makes diagonally-oriented office floorplans allowing extraordinary southeast views.
• Yaakov Agam's sculpture, called "Communication - X9", would occupy the triangular niche at street level. Its colorful geometric patterns would change when the viewer walk around.
• Featured in the 1987 motion picture "Adventures in Babysitting"
• Wikipedia Entry
• SkyscraperCenter Entry
• Google Search
Do you see any incorrect data on this page? Please let our editors know of any corrections you can make by posting them in the Database Corrections section of the discussion forum (open to the public).
Terms & Conditions
All content displayed on and contained within this page is subject to Skyscraper Source Media Inc.'s Terms and Conditions. No content displayed on this page may be reproduced, in whole or in part, without prior written permission by Skyscraper Source Media Inc. All content © Copyright Skyscraper Source Media Inc.