Like this building on Facebook
|20 Exchange Place|
|20 Exchange Place|
New York City NY United States
| - office|
| - highrise|
| - art deco|
| - glass|
| - steel|
| - concrete|
| ||Heights|| ||Value||Source / Comments|| |
|Intended height||846 ft||Landmarks Comission|
|Redesigned due to Depression|
- Architect: Cross and Cross
- Contractor: George A. Fuller Company
- Owner: West World Company Incorporated
Facts & Description
- City Landmark since 1995.
- First built by City Bank Farmers Trust, a bank that was one of the predecessors of present day Citigroup. Today Citigroup still occupies part of the building yet, much of it is leased to other businesses.
- Headquarters for City Bank Farmers Trust/First National City Bank of New York/Citibank from 1931 to 1956. Citibank sold the building by 1979, when Citibank moved most of its operations Uptown.
- This building's original plans called for a pyramid top and a taller tower, making in the tallest in the world at the time at 846.4 feet, however, due to the Depression and re-designs, the building was topped off at its present height, 741 feet.
- Today the building is known as 20 Exchange Place, its past names where: City Bank Farmers Trust Building (1929), First National City Bank of New York (1955) and, Citibank Building (1956).
- At 741 Feet, 20 Exchange Place remains one of the most prominent towers of Lower Manhattan. When it was completed in 1931 it was the 4th Tallest in the World, by 1970 it had finally been pushed off the top 10.
- The building's limestone has stayed white while the brickwork has aged from white to black. As of 2007 the black bricks are finally being restored to their orignal color.
• Google Search
| || |
Do you see any incorrect data on this page? Please let our editors know of any corrections you can make by posting them in the Database Corrections section of the discussion forum (open to the public).
Terms & Conditions
All content displayed on and contained within this page is subject to Skyscraper Source Media Inc.'s Terms and Conditions. No content displayed on this page may be reproduced, in whole or in part, without prior written permission by Skyscraper Source Media Inc. All content © Copyright Skyscraper Source Media Inc.