|77 West Wacker Drive|
Chicago IL United States
| - office|
| - highrise|
| - postmodern|
| - copper|
| - glass|
| - steel|
| - stone|
| - wood|
| - marble|
| - granite|
| - concrete, reinforced|
| ||Heights|| ||Value||Source / Comments|| |
• Architect: DeStefano & Goettsch, Ricardo Bofill Taller de Arquitectura.
• Major Tenants: United Airlines, Microsoft.
• Originally named the R.R. Donnelley Building as it was headquarters to the RR Donnelley Printing Company until 2005. As of 2007, 77 West Wacker Drive is now headquarters for Chicago-Based United Airlines, naming it the United Building.
• The metal roof was painted green before the copper would naturally fade into a green color.
• While most buildings lack a 13th story due to superstition, the United Building lacks a 49th floor, so it could have a 50th floor.
• Won the Best Structure Award from the Structural Engineers Association of Illinois in 1992.
• Prominently featured in the 1998 film, The Negotiator, starring Samuel L. Jackson and Kevin Spacey, Directed by F. Gary Gray.
• Building architect's Sculpture named "Twisted Columns" is in lobby's east end. It is a 3 twisted white stone columns in a black reflecting pool. On west side of lobby has another stone sculpture, "Three Lawyers and a Judge" by Catalan artist Xavier Corberó, among other 2 big sculptures and bamboo trees in middle of lobby with classical columns stone grooved walls and Mediterranean Marble, while exterior used silver glass and Portuguese white granite.
• Its exterior is strong iluminated at night with 540 high-intensity lamps.
• Phorio Entry
• Wikipedia Entry
• SkyscraperCenter Entry
• Google Search
Do you see any incorrect data on this page? Please let our editors know of any corrections you can make by posting them in the Database Corrections section of the discussion forum (open to the public).
Terms & Conditions
All content displayed on and contained within this page is subject to Skyscraper Source Media Inc.'s Terms and Conditions. No content displayed on this page may be reproduced, in whole or in part, without prior written permission by Skyscraper Source Media Inc. All content © Copyright Skyscraper Source Media Inc.