|One World Trade Center|
|1 World Trade Center, Church Street|
New York City NY United States
|Floor Area||400,000 m²|
| - office|
| - communication|
| - mechanical|
| - restaurant|
| - highrise|
| - pole|
| - international|
| - glass|
| - steel|
| - concrete|
| ||Heights|| ||Value||Source / Comments|| |
|Top floor||1355 ft|
- Architect: Minoru Yamasaki and Associates
- General Contractor: Tishman Realty & Construction Company,
Facts & Description
- The World Trade Center's twin towers were a national icon and arguably two of New York City's most recognizable buildings. Featured in countless television productions and major motion pictures, the twin towers were often regarded as the avatars of New York City.
- Prior to the September 11, 2001, attacks, the towers withstood several emergencies:
* On February 13, 1975, the 11th floor of One World Trade Center burned for 3 hours. Although there was no serious structural damage.
* On February 26, 1993, a car bomb was detonated by terrorists in the underground parking garage below One World Trade Center. 6 people where killed and 1,042 where injured. The plan was to destroy the foundation of the North Tower causing it to collapse onto its twin. Smoke rose up as high as the 93rd floor.
- One World Trade Center was the tallest building in the world from 1972-1974, when it was surpassed in height by the Sears Tower in Chicago.
- The twin towers where the world's first supertall buildings designed without masonry.
- Length/width of the tower - 63.4 m
September 11, 2001 Terrorist attacks
- On the morning of September 11, 2001, nineteen terrorists affiliated with al-Qaeda hijacked four commercial passenger jet airliners. Two struck the twin towers, another hit the Pentagon in Washington D.C., and the last crashed into a field in Shanksville, PA.
- One World Trade Center was destroyed by a hijacked Boeing 767 airliner flown into the 85th floor at 8:46AM ET. The tower collapsed at 10:28AM.
- The attacks claimed the lives of 2,973 people, most of them civilians. The attacks were the catalyst for the "War on Terror."
• Phorio Search
• Wikipedia Entry
• Structurae Entry
• Google Search
Do you see any incorrect data on this page? Please let our editors know of any corrections you can make by posting them in the Database Corrections section of the discussion forum (open to the public).
Terms & Conditions
All content displayed on and contained within this page is subject to Skyscraper Source Media Inc.'s Terms and Conditions. No content displayed on this page may be reproduced, in whole or in part, without prior written permission by Skyscraper Source Media Inc. All content © Copyright Skyscraper Source Media Inc.