HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 4:53 PM

405 Main Street West | 21 m | 7 fl | Proposed

Looks like there is a site plan application pending for the former Wimpy's Diner site at 405 Main Street West.

https://www.hamilton.ca/sites/defaul...er-14-2021.pdf

It does not yet appear to be on the Development Applications map but is showing on the Design Review Panel schedule for October 14.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 6:02 PM

I've reached out for documents for the items on the agenda. I had honestly stopped looking at the agenda page because I was told there were no applications.

Quick edit: advised I will get them tomorrow (though they should also be posted on that page).

Second edit: measuring the property (assuming they've acquired no other properties beside) it's nearly the exact same size as the DQ property. I'm curious how it will be formatted. With low density residential behind I suspect this will be lower density near the back, and higher facing Main. Or might step back from Main and from Jackson. If they also own 401 Main W this will be a much easier development. Guess we'll see tomorrow.

Third edit: one curiosity I have is the sudden interest in redevelopments along Main St. This is now the fourth proposal we know of along Main at or west of Queen, which is strange because with LRT imminent you'd think you'd see some along King west of Queen. Perhaps land owners are sitting until the properties are most valuable, but with interest rates low, you'd think they'd try to sell them to people now and build in a few years.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Last edited by TheRitsman; Oct 6, 2021 at 7:32 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 12:24 AM

This part of Main doesn't surprise me too much for developments. It's in close proximity to both Locke Street and the future LRT on King. Don't be surprised if this latest development gets marketed as 'off Locke' and 'steps from the LRT' or something similar. The LRT really will only be 250m away. It's a great area, and will only get better once Main is eventually two way.

I'm really excited to see the huge empty lot at 428 Main Street West (right across the street) get developed. Once these two on the south side go up, and something on that northside lot, we'll really have something here. Put in a traffic light at Strathcona and two way travel on main - and it will almost be an urban area of it's own.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 1:47 AM

Lamb owns that lot on the north side from my understanding. He doesn’t seem to be in any real rush on his Hamilton sites.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Lamb owns that lot on the north side from my understanding. He doesn’t seem to be in any real rush on his Hamilton sites.
Damn, didn't know that

I'll post this here again for discussion.

https://www.siteplantech.com/428-main

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 1:27 PM

The submission is up.

Really not impressed with this one. I've never been much of a fan of these multicoloured facades. I hope the DRP suggests they go with an exterior that more closely matches the development next door.

Mods we can change the title to 7 floors and 21m tall.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 2:16 PM

97 unit affordable housing project. Yea, it’s not the most beautiful thing but it’s always good to see new affordable projects.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
97 unit affordable housing project. Yea, it’s not the most beautiful thing but it’s always good to see new affordable projects.
Where in the application does it say it's an affordable housing project? I didn't catch that.

Edit: Nevermind, I see it in the drawings.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 4:11 PM

I like it. It's inoffensive and done with simple materials so it will be cheap but not look like garbage. I suspect this will have a similar look and finish to the James N affordable housing building. I wish it had more stone materials or brick, but the fact that it has brick is great. Obviously it's not an architectural gem, and it won't win any awards, but at least it uses solid materials rather than spandrels. I personally like the use of colour, while it's not my favourite implementation, adding more black and grey brick would do nothing to improve the feel of the street whatsoever, this is already the most god awful street, the least we can ask is for it to be cheered up a bit.

Not pleased at the complete lack of commercial again, and also not sure why it's called mixed use when the entire building is residential. I feel like some developers use the term "mixed use" to woo planners and design people and urbanists, but in reality it's a single use building. Unless I'm missing a component that's not residential.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 12:11 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

That looks like a large loading bay door for residential only?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
That looks like a large loading bay door for residential only?
Looks to be essentially for storing garbage and other stuff. With affordable units, especially deeply affordable units you're going to produce a lot of waste. Low income résidents living in and out of housing create a lot of random garbage. We used to live next door to a rooming house and the garbage production was probably 5 times that per person of any other those on the street including a student rooming house.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Looks to be essentially for storing garbage and other stuff. With affordable units, especially deeply affordable units you're going to produce a lot of waste. Low income résidents living in and out of housing create a lot of random garbage. We used to live next door to a rooming house and the garbage production was probably 5 times that per person of any other those on the street including a student rooming house.
Largely due to high turnover rates and when the tenants move on they tend to leave garbage (furniture and toys etc) behind

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 8:15 PM

Can anyone explain why a developer would opt to build an affordable housing development over an owner occupied condo building? I am assuming there's some government grants there that make it more profitable?

What are the pros and cons of having a 'deeply' affordable housing development in this neighbourhood in particular?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 1:26 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Can anyone explain why a developer would opt to build an affordable housing development over an owner occupied condo building? I am assuming there's some government grants there that make it more profitable?

What are the pros and cons of having a 'deeply' affordable housing development in this neighbourhood in particular?
Most would probably not opt to do that. There aren't that many Indwells out there, relative to the broader development industry, and there's also a range of affordability options given the wide spectrum of socio-economic needs. So cities have to mandate that some developments include a certain proportion of units that are "affordable"... if the rest of the development makes economic/financial sense for the developer, a compromise is possible.

This part of the city has a very heterogeneous social fabric. So I think it's a fit.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 5:45 PM

Ha! The developer here has a REIT whose website promotes itself with three made-up concepts that borrow Hamilton landscapes

King and Bay where Mac has a completely different building under construction:

John and Wilson were Emblem has a totally different building proposed:

and Main and Caroline where this would be a most welcome replacement for that old inn/ weed dispensary:

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
This particular developer answers your question here:
https://www.3hproperties.com/our-founders-story

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 6:54 PM

The government has a ton of grants and rebates for affordable projects that can make them pencil out to be more profitable than market in certain situations as the capital cost is so much lower once you discount all the government rebates and grants.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2021, 6:57 PM

From Forge & Foster

Quote:
405 Main St W. in Hamilton has finally closed in advance of a seven-storey development proposal.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 1:11 AM

Side benefit of this development is one less trashy injury lawyer billboard on Main coming into the city.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 7:37 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Side benefit of this development is one less trashy injury lawyer billboard on Main coming into the city.
I don't really mind those. Seeing Golfi everywhere, on the other hand ... and his billboards just keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton