HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 4:25 PM

Leipsic, DE

Leipsic is a small town in northeast Kent County, along the Leipsic River. Leipsic was originally known as Fast Landing until 1814. The town is a local fishing port for industries on the Delaware Bay. Leipsic's population is around 200.

Roby United Methodist Church, at the corner of 2nd & Main Streets.

A house on Main Street.

Houses on Main Street.

A house on Main Street.

A house and Old Leipsic Antiques on Main Street, with the Leipsic River in the background.

The Leipsic River from Front Street.

Fishing boats on stilts for the Winter along Lombard Street.

Looking down Lombard Street at Leipsic Old Antiques and some houses on Main Street at Front Street.

Houses on Front Street.

A house on Front Street.

A large house on Front Street.

An old house on West Street.

Houses on 2nd Street.

Sambo's Tavern, a restaurant on Front Street, with the Leipsic River in the background.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 5:17 PM

Neat town!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 8:24 PM

At least they have new windows and doors, just the walls need fixing now

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 10:35 PM
Time/Space

That town looks very small. I am sure every 'joe' and 'mary' knows one another.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 10:54 PM
robert die katze

So is there a lot of German heritage in this town/area?

The spelling of "Leipsic" is very close to the spelling of "Leipzig" in Germany.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 11:10 PM

Very clean and crisp! Nice looking town.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 12:09 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Quite a few cute little houses there. Gotta admit I've never heard of the place before. Thanks for the tour Matt.

btw, have you ever done a tour of Seaford? I know a guy who was chief of police there, but never made it there to visit him.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfCourse View Post
So is there a lot of German heritage in this town/area?

The spelling of "Leipsic" is very close to the spelling of "Leipzig" in Germany.
The name is derived from "Leipzig", but there isn't really that much of a German heritage in the town. Actually, no place in Delaware really is known for its Germans. I believe the name was chosen as somewhat of a tribute to the European city, much like naming American cities "Rome", "Athens", or "Syracuse" after classical places or places to emulate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Quite a few cute little houses there. Gotta admit I've never heard of the place before. Thanks for the tour Matt.

btw, have you ever done a tour of Seaford? I know a guy who was chief of police there, but never made it there to visit him.
No Seaford yet, but that will hopefully be soon.

My goal is to take pictures of all 52 incorporated municipalities in the state of Delaware. I have photographed 30 of them so far, including some that I have not gotten around to showing. Off of the top of ym head, I have almost all of New Castle County done, and that should be the first one done; I only have 4 more places to go up here. The much smaller places in the other 2 counties will be easy to photograph, but driving around all over the state is more time-consuming than it sounds, even for a small state like Delaware.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 2:06 AM
Posh

Cute!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 9:41 PM
urbanmarinade.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Sambo's Tavern, a restaurant on Front Street, with the Leipsic River in the background.

The funny thing about Leipsic and the above tavern is they are both famous throughout the world. Hard to believe eh!

Well, Sambo's Tavern has been a long-time favorite among the NASCAR drivers and crew that come to nearby Dover twice a year for races. In fact, it's next to impossible getting reservations there during those two weekends. My parents are friends with the owners and saved us a few chairs at the bar one race weekend. I sat there with Bobby Labonte, Darrell Waltrip, and Richard Petty within 5 feet.

Ask anyone associated with NASCAR if they know Sambo's in Delaware and there's a good chance they will. And that's not to mention all the other celebrities who've dined there who have framed head shots on the walls.

Sambo's is a strangely popular tavern in an obscure little fishing town in Delaware. But that's what makes this restaurant and the state so interesting.

Here's a shot I took from behind Sambo's a few years ago while visiting my parents. I'd say it's the best place to go for crabs in Delaware and the surroundings are very peaceful.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 10:11 PM

Very cute. Nice pics.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvstampa View Post
The funny thing about Leipsic and the above tavern is they are both famous throughout the world. Hard to believe eh!

Well, Sambo's Tavern has been a long-time favorite among the NASCAR drivers and crew that come to nearby Dover twice a year for races. In fact, it's next to impossible getting reservations there during those two weekends. My parents are friends with the owners and saved us a few chairs at the bar one race weekend. I sat there with Bobby Labonte, Darrell Waltrip, and Richard Petty within 5 feet.

Ask anyone associated with NASCAR if they know Sambo's in Delaware and there's a good chance they will. And that's not to mention all the other celebrities who've dined there who have framed head shots on the walls.

Sambo's is a strangely popular tavern in an obscure little fishing town in Delaware. But that's what makes this restaurant and the state so interesting.

Here's a shot I took from behind Sambo's a few years ago while visiting my parents. I'd say it's the best place to go for crabs in Delaware and the surroundings are very peaceful.

I didn't know that about Sambo's. I actually was surprised that a little place like Leipsic even had a place to go drinking.

Your picture of the river is great. These marshland areas look much better in the Spring and Summer, when the green of the trees mixes with the golds and tans of the marsh grasses and plants and the blue of the water and sky.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 2:09 AM
America's Hometown

Welcome to Slower Delaware!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos