HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 1:19 PM

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...g_100_mil.html

A good recap of all the big projects happening in Flint. Nothing real new except for the former Advertiser's Press building on Harrison being renovated, and the news that the McCree parking structure is coming down.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Lear receives grant for plant at old Buick City complex in Flint

By TYLER CLIFFORD
Crain's Detroit Business
August 22, 2017

Southfield-based Lear Corp. has received a grant from the Michigan Economic Development Corp. to build a $30 million plant at the old Buick City complex in Flint.

The board of the Michigan Strategic Fund on Tuesday approved the performance-based grant of $4.35 million.

Lear wants to build a 156,000-square-foot assembly and subassembly plant where it would create 435 jobs, according to an MEDC memo. The plant would produce automotive seating for a full-size truck program.

The Flint location is in competition with Mexico, where overall costs are lower, for the subassembly operation, the memo said. The city of Flint offered a tax abatement to reduce property taxes by 50 percent.

Lear will receive the funds over two years when the company reaches certain milestones. The grant will allow for $10,000 per Flint resident job and $5,000 per non-Flint resident job created.

“Those of us in Flint know that our community is worth investing in and we’re excited to see Lear building a huge truck seating manufacturing plant right here in the city," said Senate Minority Leader Jim Ananich (D–Flint) in a written statement. "Having Lear in the neighborhood will mean hundreds of new, quality jobs prioritized for Flint residents, ensuring that more folks in my town will have the opportunity to get a leg up."
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...mplex-in-flint

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 6:28 PM

Quote:
A Break for Flint Teens: No-Tuition College Opportunities for High School Grads

By Alan Stamm
August 23rd, 2017
Deadline Detroit

Flint students' lives matter to a sports team owner and a Michigan utility.

Tom Gores, a billionaire California investor who bought the Detroit Pistons and Palace Sports & Entertainment in 2011, partners with Consumers Energy Foundation as they each pledge $1 million to create a Flint Promise scholarship program, announced Wednesday. The goal is to offer full scholarships to Flint high school graduates, starting in fall 2018 -- similar to the Kalamazoo Promise private initiative, a national model since 2005.

"I grew up in Flint, went to school here and appreciate the power of education to transform people's lives and revitalize a community," Gores says in a statement.

"Every student who works hard deserves a chance to earn a college degree.

"We want to give those kids and their families a reason to dream and provide them the resources to make those dreams come true. . . I believe in Flint."
At Consumers Energy, CEO Patti Poppe says: "Flint has started a remarkable comeback from recent challenges, and we see our contribution as a down payment on a bright future for a community that we are proud to serve."

Details still to be determined include where students can enroll and whether eligibility will include graduates of nonpublic Flint schools.

The venture is praised by Isaiah Oliver, head of the Community Foundation of Greater Flint, who calls it "a generous commitment to young people in our community." His nonprofit will lead a coalition that administers the program.
http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...h_school_grads

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 1:23 AM
somewhere in-between

As one of the steps prior to removal of the Hamilton Dam, Consumers Energy has been paying to dredge 1/3 mile of the Flint River in an attempt to remove coal tar-contaminated sediment, leftover from industrial processes dating back over 100 years. Last week, the project passed the 50% completion point.

Quote:
Flint River dredging project passes halfway point
By Steve Carmody | Michigan Public Radio
Sep 08, 2017
Video Link

Image Source: Michigan Radio

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 7:22 PM

Hmmm...part of me is happy about this and believes that Uptown has done the necessary homework, but the other part immediately thinks of AutoWorld and the Hyatt.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde..._restaura.html

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:10 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I can not in any way see anything bad in this. At worst if it fails it's a building that can be easily be reused for something else unlike a lot of newer purposed-built buildings. Even still, an excellent reuse was eventually found for the former Hyatt. No need to try and find a dark lining in this light, fluffy cloud.

This is unmitigated good news, and I commend Hilton for having enough vision to look beyond the headlines to possibly put downtown Flint on their map.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:32 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk1982 View Post
Hmmm...part of me is happy about this and believes that Uptown has done the necessary homework, but the other part immediately thinks of AutoWorld and the Hyatt.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde..._restaura.html
This quote from the article gives me pause:

Quote:
"This project is different in that it will continually be bringing money from outside the city and outside the state, people who aren't from here, to spend their dollars in the city of Flint," Hovey said.
I'd like to see the data / justification behind that. The State Savings Bank building is a more beautiful building than the Hyatt ever was, and seems fitting for a hotel, but is the demand there? I found this while reading about the Hyatt debacle - it's too good not to share:

Video Link

Random aside, that former Hyatt / now Riverfront Resident Hall reminds me a lot of the Radisson in Kalamazoo, before it was remodeled and expanded. Same era of construction.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 6:50 PM
somewhere in-between

The dredging project is in its final phase now - it has moved from dredging to capping of the river bottom, with landscaping and river bank restoration to follow.

Quote:
Flint River dredging project moves into final phase
By Steve Carmody | Michigan Radio
October 16, 2017

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 3:53 PM
somewhere in-between

Updated rendering and information for "The Marketplace" a planned 4-story apartment / townhome complex at the site of the former YWCA (3rd Street, between Stevens and Wallenberg streets). The Flint Planning Commission has already approved the site plan and a Payment in lieu of taxes.

Image Source: MLive / Courtesy | PK Housing and Management

Quote:
$19M apartment, townhome development planned for downtown Flint
By Oona Goodin-Smith | MLive
October 27, 2017

FLINT, MI - A $19 million mixed-income apartment and townhome complex is coming to the old site of the YWCA in downtown Flint. Come January 2018, crews expect to break ground on the three-story development - dubbed "The Marketplace" - at the old YWCA property on Third Street, between Stevens and Wallenberg streets, developers said...

Last edited by deja vu; Oct 29, 2017 at 2:34 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 3:23 AM

This is what I'm talking about! I'm also happy to see Studio Intrigue isn't doing the kind of designs they so often do in Lansing, which are generally horrible. I'm also glad to see it's that site getting this redevelopment. Truth be told, I thought with this being a bit out of the way that this would sit empty for years. I've always thought once they got Saginaw stabilized that the next obvious track of development is to the east. The freeway is always going to be a barried, but hooking downtown closer to East Village seems like a no-brainer.

BTW, random question, but who owns the large surface lot in the 400 block of South Saginaw?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
This is what I'm talking about! I'm also happy to see Studio Intrigue isn't doing the kind of designs they so often do in Lansing, which are generally horrible. I'm also glad to see it's that site getting this redevelopment. Truth be told, I thought with this being a bit out of the way that this would sit empty for years. I've always thought once they got Saginaw stabilized that the next obvious track of development is to the east. The freeway is always going to be a barried, but hooking downtown closer to East Village seems like a no-brainer.

BTW, random question, but who owns the large surface lot in the 400 block of South Saginaw?
I'm pretty sure the city owns that lot.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 10:25 PM

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...ored_his.html#

Quote:
Tour Flint's newly-restored, historic Capitol Theatre
Updated Dec 7, 5:28 PM; Posted Dec 7, 5:01 PM

By Jake May jmay2@mlive.com
FLINT, MI -- From the shimmering lights on the ceiling twinkling as stars in constellation formations to the familiar John Eberson architecture throughout the venue, the Capitol Theatre will open this week for the first time in almost 20 years.

The historic downtown site underwent a $37 million restoration to bring the 90-year-old facility in Flint back to working order and was shown off through an opening ceremony on Thursday, Dec. 7......

Last edited by robk1982; Dec 8, 2017 at 3:45 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 1:53 AM
somewhere in-between

Love it! Here's a few of my favorites:

Image Credit: Jake May | MLive

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 6:37 AM
Registered Ugly

Worked on a grant for that a few years back. Happy to see it restored.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 6:53 PM
somewhere in-between

Flint is moving & shaking! If you don't pay close attention (like I haven't been) you might miss some of the many things that are happening currently:

1. Kirkwood Community Mobile Home Park - demolition is coming soon:

Quote:
Investors in former Delphi plant seed Flint demolition with $50,000 donation
By Shelby Cox | FlintSide
December 8, 2017

FLINT, Michigan—In a somewhat unusual combination of public and private sector collaboration a major economic development project targeting Flint’s eastside also has evolved into a major neighborhood cleanup. Demolition of the former Kirkwood Community mobile home park is set to be leveled by the Genesee County Land Bank with a grant from the Michigan State Housing Development Authority. It is one of six longtime community eyesores that recently have been cleaned up or will be within the next few months, at a total cost of $3.1 million. This project comes with a unique twist: It is made possible in part through a private business donation: Phoenix Investors—the company behind the planned redevelopment of the neighboring former Delphi site on Davison Road—gave the Genesee County Land Bank $50,000 to help fund the effort...
The former mobile home park (which you can actually streetview).

A related story on this, and 5 other properties that are scheduled to be / are being demolished:

Quote:
These 6 longtime Flint eyesores soon will be dust
By Marjory Raymer | FlintSide
November 22, 2017

2. Update on the UM-Flint Science Building Expansion:

Quote:
Regents approve schematic designs for UM-Flint science building expansion
By UM-Flint News
December 8, 2017

Plans for the University of Michigan-Flint’s William R. Murchie Science Building expansion continue to move forward, as the Board of Regents approved the schematic design Thursday. The $39 million project will greatly expand UM-Flint’s campus footprint by adding more than 65,000 square feet and a third wing to the current Murchie building structure that houses the majority of science, technology, engineering and math programs for the campus. Over the past 10 years, enrollment in UM-Flint STEM programs have grown 84 percent and this expansion, focused on new and contemporary designs, will provide much-needed updates and additional space to continue future growth...

Image Source: UM-Flint News
3. New Educare Flint School Opens:

Quote:
This new Flint school could shape early childhood education nationwide
By Tim Galloway | FlintSide
December 04, 2017

Today, Educare Flint begins its mission to change the way public education is defined nationwide. The 34,000-square-foot, $15-million facility boasts a parent center, theater, a resource room for teachers, play spaces, a STEM learning lab, and classrooms packed with age-appropriate learning toys for children to play and learn. Built on the campus of Durant-Tuuri-Mott Elementary School, Educare Flint is a modern building featuring sharp angles, rolling play areas and cartoonish playhouses. The purpose here is simple: To open even more doors...

Image Source: Tim Galloway | FlintSide
4. Whaley House Restoration Nears Completion:

Quote:
Restoration of a Flint treasure nearly complete two years after fire
By Tim Galloway | FlintSide
November 30, 2017

FLINT, Michigan—A miter saw whirrs and screams as executive director Daniel Conner, 27, surveys the progress in the Whaley Historic Home Museum. A fire in the roof as well as extensive smoke and water damage shuttered the Flint landmark two years ago today, on Nov. 30, 2015. R.J. Whaley and Mary McFarlan Whaley moved into the home in October 1886, the same year that Mr. Whaley as president of Citizen’s Bank would make a loan to the Flint Road Cart Company (which eventually led to the creation of General Motors in 1908), according to the Flint Genealogical Society...

Image Source: Tom Galloway | FlintSide
5. UM-Flint New Pedestrian Bridge Time-Lapse:

Here's a time-lapse of the recently-completed pedestrian footbridge connecting UM-Flint's north and south campuses.

6. Replacement Housing is Coming for Low-Income Residents:

Quote:
New housing development coming to Flint—could be first of three
By Jake Carah | FlintSide
November 20, 2017

Atherton East was identified early on as public housing needing repairs. Built illegally in the late 1960s, the community was a part of the city’s then-master plan to provide public housing to residents displaced by the building of I-475. That city plan dismantled the once strong St. John neighborhood and the ill-fated Atherton East replacement housing was built on a floodplain causing it to quickly erode with flooding and disrepair...The Choice Neighborhoods plan is to move residents from Atherton East into mixed income housing with closer employment opportunities, improved planning and increased safety...

...The[se] developments are just part of the massive plan outlined in a 136-page document (download it here) that also includes creation of educational and employment opportunities, ensuring access to public transportation, elimination of abandoned buildings, planting gardens, and increasing access to fresh fruits and vegetables...

Concept Rendering of replacement housing for current residents of Atherton East Public Housing:

Image Source: FlintSide

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 7:33 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Great to see so much activity in Flint.

btw, that Capitol Theatre rehab is amazing, love it.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 9:24 AM

Out of curiosity, exactly when did they start demolition on the YWCA building and when was the demolition completed? I can barely find any media mention of the demolition.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 3:34 PM
somewhere in-between

^ I guess I didn't even realize that it was demolished yet. the MLive article kinda makes it sound like demolition hasn't started yet, like January 2018 is when demolition will begin, not actual construction on the new apartments. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the wording though (wouldn't be the first time with an MLive article):

Quote:
...Come January 2018, crews expect to break ground on the three-story development - dubbed "The Marketplace" - at the old YWCA property on Third Street...

...The old YWCA structure will be demolished and the site re-grated before the townhomes and apartments are built on the site, developers said...
That second sentence is unclear, as it doesn't really give a time reference. Maybe someone closer to the area can elucidate this.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 6:14 PM

The YWCA has not been demolished yet.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 6:27 AM

Well that solves that, then. lol Every article I've read made it sound like the site was already cleared. I bet it has to do with ownership of the building. If the YWCA still owns it, then there is no way without grant money they are going to be able to pay for the demolition themselves. So maybe that's the hold-up, waiting to have the property transfered.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest