HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Chicago Spire in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 11:40 PM
BANNED

This will answer everything!
Remember I posted this!?

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v5LWchzlxE
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-hDTX-Qgd8

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 11:42 PM
BANNED

edit, Sorry

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
This thread is going to be extremely long since there is already 41 pages of discussion when the Spire is currently a toilet bowl hole in the ground.
Not just that, this is already part five
"A couple of years ago, a couple of geniuses put on something called Woodstock Festival. It was a tragedy. Groups recognised that they could go into larger cattle markets, play less time and make more dollars. What they've done is to destroy the rock industry."- Bill Graham

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 2:05 PM

Hmmm, even Calatrava has acknowledged slow progress on the site.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...0,793766.story

"And questions now surround the fate of another major project—the Chicago Spire. The project's architect, Santiago Calatrava, said Wednesday that he has had little contact recently with Garrett Kelleher, executive chairman of Shelbourne Development Group Inc.

"As you can see, the site is quiet," Calatrava said. "We are all waiting."

Kim Metcalfe, a spokeswoman for the project at 400 N. Lake Shore Drive, said more than 30 percent of the units were pre-sold but Shelbourne was "trying to figure out the next phase" and is in a "slowing-down phase."

Meanwhile, a 15-city international road show to market the Spire, which would be the tallest building in America, is on hold during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan."

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 2:09 PM

.....well, I guess at this point it's probably fair to be pessimistic about both the Spire and Waterview........... ....at least we got TT built !!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk1103 View Post
.....well, I guess at this point it's probably fair to be pessimistic about both the Spire and Waterview........... ....at least we got TT built !!
actually it's not.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 2:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest View Post
The project's architect, Santiago Calatrava, said Wednesday that he has had little contact recently with Garrett Kelleher, executive chairman of Shelbourne Development Group Inc.

"As you can see, the site is quiet," Calatrava said. "We are all waiting."

Kim Metcalfe, a spokeswoman for the project at 400 N. Lake Shore Drive, said more than 30 percent of the units were pre-sold but Shelbourne was "trying to figure out the next phase" and is in a "slowing-down phase."
well, none of that sounds terribly positive or reassuring.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 3:09 PM

I just emailed one of my contacts, and this was the response:

everyone is speculating. The foundation is 100% complete, the
utility phase is moving forward full steam. Because of the volatility in
the marketplace, we will be slowing down the pace a little until the market picks back up, but we're in a good place. We're continuing to see sales literally everyday

should we still expect to see the tower begin to rise by the 2nd
quarter of 2009?

We're working toward that

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 3:32 PM
Registered

^ I agree with Victor. I'm surprised Calatrava would make comments like that... it's not good for business. Kelleher needs to coach him a bit.

If Calatrava had spoken to one of our weaker papers (cough Sun-Times), they probably wouldn't have even bothered to contact Metcalfe and the article would have sounded simply terrible. Metcalfe's response wasn't golden either, for that matter.

The reply Victor posted above is the kind of thing that would have been good to get in the paper. Of course Trump wants to characterize the Spire as a "skeleton." Duh.

If there are buyers in the world marketplace looking for high-end new construction in Chicago, they want to hear that there are sales continuing and that the project's chances are good. In fact, this fact alone (that they're not going to get hung out to dry) would probably be enough to lure them away from other developments. If it's true, Shelbourne really should promote this fact actively.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 3:50 PM

Smile

Well I am confident enough to sit in two planes (one stop in Paris to switch planes) for 10,5 hours and fly 4500 Miles to see that foundation! I know the markets arent in the best conditions at the moment but as others have said the Spire looks like a solid project unlike Tengs Waterview fiasco

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydie View Post
Well I am confident enough to sit in two planes (one stop in Paris to switch planes) for 10,5 hours and fly 4500 Miles to see that foundation! I know the markets arent in the best conditions at the moment but as others have said the Spire looks like a solid project unlike Tengs Waterview fiasco
I wanted to wait and schedule a river tour until at least the CS base was complete. Hoping for the third quarter of next year!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 6:22 PM
Back in the Windy City

Kelleher is no Trump (thank goodness) and not given to random pronouncements, but his silence lately must tell us something.

Silence at a time like this, when a statement of the project's strength would likely boost sales, indicates that there might be some reason not to issue such a statement.

That said, this is a man who's spent a whole lotta money already, and you can be sure he's considering all his options. If a slowdown helps this tower get built in the long run, then bring on the slowdown.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
actually it's not.
.. TT is effectively built.....let's not go nuts here !!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 11:24 PM

.....hey Andy........give some of us PM's and we'll take you around town.....

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 11:45 PM
x-Chicago

Foundation 100% complete? Well I guess they won't be needing a mat at the bottom anymore, saves money

This project will continue, but Kelleher can move at his own pace and will.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 11:56 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk1103 View Post
.....hey Andy........give some of us PM's and we'll take you around town.....
done, if anyone is interesting meeting up with me again i am in town from 10/7 in the afternoon for a week located at the Tremont Hotel, 100 E Chestnut Street. Not 5 stars but very central, John Hancock next door and thats why I am coming to town, to experience the city and not the hotel room, lol.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydie View Post
done, if anyone is interesting meeting up with me again i am in town from 10/7 in the afternoon for a week located at the Tremont Hotel, 100 E Chestnut Street. Not 5 stars but very central, John Hancock next door and thats why I am coming to town, to experience the city and not the hotel room, lol.
yeah, i know where that is, next door to Ditkas

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 4:17 AM

I'm sorry but we have been hearing that "Well north of 30%" figure for several months now. Anyone who thinks this project is moving along normally is as mistaken as someone who thinks the US economy is still in good shape. I'd love to see it get built as much as anyone, heck I still think it probably will, but we need to recognize that it is being delayed and we will likely not see activity for quite some time.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 5:16 AM
JoeCooper

The smart ones think in the long run, and that's what these individuals who are behind this project are doing. I'm not worried...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 5:24 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

If the project goes on hold, then what happens to DuSable Park? Does Chicago go ahead with the park regardless?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects