HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Chicago Spire in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 2:39 PM
Chicago 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
it's not doomsayers per se that we hate, it's morons who come into this thread with a type of arrogant certitude that they *KNOW* what the future of this project is and that anyone who believes this project might yet be built is simply wrong.

the fact is that this tower may be built, or it may not. it's just that simple. we can all believe one way or the other, but the certitude of some opinions is what gets so irksome in this thread and it's why i've instituted a policy of simply deleting such posts right off the bat.

there is WAY too much angst in this thread of people getting bent all out of shape about whether this building is going to get built or not. everyone who is a regular participant in this thread just needs to take a deep breath, take a step back and relax. the chicago spire would be a truly amazing structure if built, and yes it's certainly reasonable that fans of architecture would get excited by the prospect of such a magnificent structure gracing our city with its presence, BUT ultimately it's still just a building, it's not the second coming of christ, and people don't need to update this thread every 15 seconds about how they know this tower is or isn't gonna be built. all that any of us can do is be patient, but unfortunately that is a trait that seems to be in woefully short supply amongst skyscraper fanboys.

time will tell. until then everyone needs to chill out.
F yeah! Some people on this site need to get lives.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 5:34 PM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkokieSwift View Post
Correction: PERCEIVED wealth.
yes. you're right. Percieved wealth is correct.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 6:37 PM
Condo Projects Manager

Could Shelbourne be throwing a party for investors and buyers? Maybe a celebration of them chosing a contractor? Who knows, but my guess is that they were hired by Shelbourne since they are on his property. Thanks for the pics Solar.

Last edited by Adam186; Sep 20, 2008 at 9:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 9:08 PM

The party was held today, looks to have been a catered event with tables, white linens and such. There a couple loads of people entering the site via rented trolleys. All of them were wearing hard hats as they drove into the site from the LSD ramps.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 9:50 PM

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 10:02 PM

I heard from people carrying hard hats with The Chicago Spire logo on them the party was for buyers.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 11:13 PM
BANNED

I saw the party today too, there were a lot of people there. They also were letting them go to the bottom of the hole as I saw people coming in and out of the stairs...

Also, for those of you convinced that there is no utility work going on. I walked down Illinois today and there were several large sections of it that have either been recently ripped up and repaved (obvious trench digging) and one part (crossing Fairbanks) where there is a trench covered by metal plates for about a block. Also, most of Illinois is marked up with surveying marks. Whether or not this is for the Spire, I don't know, but it certainly is some kind of utility upgrade. I believe the plan was to run the upgraded Utilities along Illinois wasn't it?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 2:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary78 View Post

Good job Zac.

A pic is worth a thousand words but in this one I can only make out single digits.

What is going on here?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 6:53 PM

^Looks like party prep work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Also, for those of you convinced that there is no utility work going on. I walked down Illinois today and there were several large sections of it that have either been recently ripped up and repaved (obvious trench digging) and one part (crossing Fairbanks) where there is a trench covered by metal plates for about a block. Also, most of Illinois is marked up with surveying marks. Whether or not this is for the Spire, I don't know, but it certainly is some kind of utility upgrade. I believe the plan was to run the upgraded Utilities along Illinois wasn't it?
I know for a fact that ComEd has already upgraded electrical cables over on Grand Avenue, work that was specifically done for the Spire.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 8:54 PM

Waynechicago from SSC attended and posted a video of the event - Owners Day Foundation Signing Party. Don't know how to embed the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaEdY3nO6e0

The video doesnt have audio.

EDIT: Are those survey marks new? They can be seen best on Solarwind's photos. Im guessing those are markings for the buried bell caissons?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSevenThree View Post
Waynechicago from SSC attended and posted a video of the event - Owners Day Foundation Signing Party. Don't know how to embed the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaEdY3nO6e0

The video doesnt have audio.

EDIT: Are those survey marks new? They can be seen best on Solarwind's photos. Im guessing those are markings for the buried bell caissons?
Video Link

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 10:11 PM

This thread is going to be extremely long since there is already 41 pages of discussion when the Spire is currently a toilet bowl hole in the ground.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 11:12 PM
Resident Jackass

Sure is a lot of water down there.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 11:38 PM

Wasted opportunity. Gondola boat rides at the bottom.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 4:25 AM
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSevenThree View Post
I tried to enhance the markings. This is the best I could do since I'm not a Photoshop expert.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 4:28 AM
Ex Houstonian

So is this the most photographed hole in the world or what?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 4:35 AM
Chicago

September 10, 2008

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 4:22 PM
x-Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
I tried to enhance the markings. This is the best I could do since I'm not a Photoshop expert.
You are really too modest. That's an excellent job you did.

The markings are a good sign and that activity is taking place. I take it that this is in preparation for the top down construction.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 5:10 PM

Agreed..

Markings are on point, Great Job!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
How long have these markings been visible? More importantly, what is the constructions significance of these? From my miniscule bank of engineering knowledge, I don't see what the point of doing this well in advance of digging out/grading etc. Could this have been the work of a few bored workers on a slow day? Or does this mean things might be picking back up at the site little bit faster then we have been thinking? One more thing...The more I look at it, there are two things I have noticed that don't make sense to me as a "bell-caisson marking system". If you look at the edge of the pit, you can see some marks that to me, appear to close to the edge for a caisson to fit. I am also confused by the apparent lack of a different configuration of markings where I believe the super caissons to be. I think this is more a general grid system, then being related to the exact placement of the caissons

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects