HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Chicago Spire in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 10:04 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

T.I. Feat. Justin Timberlake - Dead And Gone:

Video Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
What are you (,) Onn?
Onn is Timberlake in the song. Trying to find his way back home.

Steely is T.I. trying to tell Onn to let it go.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 10:53 PM
DENNAB

Not at all shocking...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 10:57 PM

HA HA! This is hilarious. All the countless months of senseless speculation finally comes to and end. A lot of breath could have been saved if ppl just STFU and waited til this date, lol.

Oh well, to me the Chicago Spire died a decade ago when they ditched the original design. This design was good too but it wasn't right for the site.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 10:58 PM

The spire hole will be continued all the way to China for Wanda execs to travel through to see their new supertall across the river.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 11:20 PM
DENNAB

While we know the spire won't be built, we don't know the final design (at least I don't think) of related's plan... with this and the other projects in Chi town, the skyline will still be changed for the better.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 11:26 PM

O well. I'm somewhat disappointed, though not surprised. The upside is that it really isn't a great site for an iconic piece of architecture. It's totally inaccessible to the pedestrian. I'd rather have the next great world famous piece of architecture be in a locale where it is easy to walk up and gawk at it.

Related can build whatever, I think it will probably be decent and over 1,000 feet. There's too much sunk into the foundation already for it not to be. I highly doubt it will be world famous.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 12:15 AM
TL;DR

I wouldn't immediately write off Related architecture-wise. They have hired KPF at Hudson Yards, and produced some pretty nice, futuristic concepts.

Related even hired Diller Scofidio Renfro for 15 Hudson Yards (the first residential tower) and they are absolutely the equal of Calatrava in the quality of design.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 12:32 AM
BANNED

Does anyone know where Chicago Spire threads part 1-5 will go?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I wouldn't immediately write off Related architecture-wise. They have hired KPF at Hudson Yards, and produced some pretty nice, futuristic concepts.

Related even hired Diller Scofidio Renfro for 15 Hudson Yards (the first residential tower) and they are absolutely the equal of Calatrava in the quality of design.
Yea - I'm not losing all hope here. At least we know Related has the track record and ability to get things done. I wonder how quick they'll move to get a project started? I'm sure they already have a pretty good idea of what they will do with the site and potentially even some conceptual renders.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 1:43 AM

I hear they will fill the lot with a convenience store. Well anyway sorry that this building didn't work out, hopefully it becomes the tallest building up in skyscraper heaven. And this reminds me when Philly almost had the American Commerce Center, which became cancelled after a few years.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 3:00 AM

Not a viable plan huh? It seems numerous investors disagreed!

Quote:
Kelleher's Chicago dream over as backers fail to pay
Peter Flanagan
The Independent
11 January 2014

"Numerous investors are thought to have expressed an interest in investing in the plan, but were not prepared to invest this week."
http://www.independent.ie/business/c...-30708688.html

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 4:10 AM

Wink Home town paper

^ ... Obviously a reliable source. Give it a rest.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 4:14 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Yea - I'm not losing all hope here. At least we know Related has the track record and ability to get things done. I wonder how quick they'll move to get a project started? I'm sure they already have a pretty good idea of what they will do with the site and potentially even some conceptual renders.
They had Perkins + Will do some conceptual stuff, but it seems like they prefer importing architects from New York - Handel, RAMSA, etc.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilton View Post
^ ... Obviously a reliable source. Give it a rest.
I'll be interested to see what happens next. Do you think everyone is just going to let the Spire project go splat?

Last edited by Onn; Nov 1, 2014 at 12:47 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post
HA HA! This is hilarious. All the countless months of senseless speculation finally comes to and end. A lot of breath could have been saved if ppl just STFU and waited til this date, lol.

Oh well, to me the Chicago Spire died a decade ago when they ditched the original design. This design was good too but it wasn't right for the site.
You mean this one?:

Santiago Calatrava S.A.
http://www.willisms.com/archives/200...go_calatr.html

I agree this one is more pleasing to look at. But the more recent design was really good, too.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
You mean this one?:

Santiago Calatrava S.A.

I agree this one is more pleasing to look at. But the more recent design was really good, too.
pleasing to look at? that makes me gag! the spire was waayyy too large and the twisting effects the massing too much
doesn't really matter anyway though. i doubt related will have any intention to build the spire as it was planned. we are going to get is an average, steel and glass tower. is it bad? probably not. the only reason i don't like related is because everything they build is average. the designs they present are always something to get excited about, then they value engineer it and raise the rents as high as they can to make the most money

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I'll be interested to see what happens next. Do you think everyone is just going to let the Spire project go splat?
Onn, ... It's over. What will happen next is that Related will develop the property or sell it off to someone else.

Look, Kelleher had never built anything over 15 stories. It was a long, long shot for a house painter who had a long, profitable run at the development craps table. Kelleher took the big risk. His blarney and bravado convinced others to lend money to him. In the end, his timing was off and he had to fold this house of cards.

But, Kelleher's not the first developer to have his dream project do him in. Remember Fordham? And, Kelleher won't be the last developer to be done in by a "dream project".

Sooner or later, the Spire site will be developed. Financing availability will determine what goes there when it develops. But, at this time, it should be obvious (even to a knucklehead like you) that nobody's ready to throw more money down The Spire hole.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilton View Post
Onn, ... It's over. What will happen next is that Related will develop the property or sell it off to someone else.

Look, Kelleher had never built anything over 15 stories. It was a long, long shot for a house painter who had a long, profitable run at the development craps table. Kelleher took the big risk. His blarney and bravado convinced others to lend money to him. In the end, his timing was off and he had to fold this house of cards.
Kelleher's story may be done with as far as leading it. But your forgetting Atlas got involved in the project now, who also wanted to see the development built. You know, someone who actually does have money. I can almost guarantee they're going to try to discuss with Related about something in relation to the Spire. That's why I would hold the funeral, because if Atlas and other investors really were committed to the project they could change Related's goal about what they were going to do with the site.

Last edited by Onn; Nov 1, 2014 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
You mean this one?:

Santiago Calatrava S.A.

Yep, that's the one. I don't know how to post pics on here since I never bothered to do so but I still have pictures of the original Spire that I've kept throughout the years.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

That's NYC though and their crown jewel development. The stuff they've built/proposed here is very conventional by comparison. While that is not necessarily a bad thing they've been let downs in the materials used consequently making them look cheap. I do not have high expectations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects