Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 6:25 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1272 View Post
Please tell me how to use this. There's one...person whose posts are so annoying I don't participate in discussions nearly as often as I'd like.
Just tap the poster's name in the upper left, select view public profile, then select user lists, where you'll find add to ignore list. I'm lovin' it.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 6:27 PM

Let's talk about . . . Salesforce Tower.

Does anybody know when the garage is due to be finished and plaza hardscaping in place?

I'm not there so can't see but I gather the garage is presently an open excavation.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRinconHill View Post
Not sure how I feel yet about the fact that our city's 600' tabletop now looks so incredibly undersized compared to the shear mass of Salesforce. In a way it's kind of neat to have such a huge building, but every other building isn't even recognizable on its own anymore. Even the Pyramid looks half the size it did before.
Point well made. I like height as much as anyone - unless its way out proportion relative to the existing skyline. While I was disappointed the roofline dropped from its originally-planned 1200', at that level Salesforce would have been twice as high as the table top you mention, which would have looked awkward and ill-conceived in my opinion. Devon Energy Center in OK City is like that, 350' taller than the next tallest building there.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky's the Limit View Post
I like height as much as anyone - unless its way out proportion relative to the existing skyline. While I was disappointed the roofline dropped from its originally-planned 1200', at that level Salesforce would have been twice as high as the table top you mention, which would have looked awkward and ill-conceived in my opinion.
Totally agree. But also don't forget Salesforce will eventually be part of a cluster of buildings sticking above the tabletop: Besides 191 Fremont, there'll be Oceanwide Center and Parcel F (which I hope gets underway before the economy turns south and puts a lot of building on hold).

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Just tap the poster's name in the upper left, select view public profile, then select user lists, where you'll find add to ignore list. I'm lovin' it.
I wish the folks who are posting opinions on every little thing half a dozen times a day would pause once a while to reflect on whether the world is really all that interested. Or maybe they just have Posting Tourette's.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 6:58 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
I wish the folks who are posting opinions on every little thing half a dozen times a day would pause once a while to reflect on whether the world is really all that interested. Or maybe they just have Posting Tourette's.
Yes, exactly pseudolus. They also have ideas and opinions regarding San Francisco when they don't live here and especially don't understand the City. I'm not referring to people who have previously lived here and visit often.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks! So glad I no longer have to see those ridiculous, juvenile posts.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 6:29 PM

Can anyone tell me when the cladding will be completed?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Can anyone tell me when the cladding will be completed?
Shouldn't be long now--a matter of weeks. They are sticking to the timeline of completing the building and moving tenants in by the end of the year. So the exterior needs to be complete by summer I'd say, making the building weather tight to allow for interior finishes.

PS: Still seeking an update and prognosis for the parking garage. Is it still an open hole?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks! So glad I no longer have to see those ridiculous, juvenile posts.
But then you miss the spectacular photos I found. Oh well, your lost not mine unless it happens to be one of your photos.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BS0IH0vFdPD/

Last edited by Justbuildit; Apr 14, 2017 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 4:33 AM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Yes, exactly pseudolus. They also have ideas and opinions regarding San Francisco when they don't live here and especially don't understand the City. I'm not referring to people who have previously lived here and visit often.
I can see Salesforce Tower from my apartment, so don't look at me.

Bringing back some high quality content to the thread, hopefully. Check out the last five days of work, all recorded about 1PM. Insanely fast.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 4:49 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
I can see Salesforce Tower from my apartment, so don't look at me.

Bringing back some high quality content to the thread, hopefully. Check out the last five days of work, all recorded about 1PM. Insanely fast.
Never! I know you're here and knowledgeable.

Last edited by viewguysf; Apr 14, 2017 at 5:02 AM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Totally agree. But also don't forget Salesforce will eventually be part of a cluster of buildings sticking above the tabletop: Besides 191 Fremont, there'll be Oceanwide Center and Parcel F (which I hope gets underway before the economy turns south and puts a lot of building on hold).
You are correct, I neglected to consider the future but by the mid-2020s, Oceanwide and Parcel F in particular will add proportional balance to the skyline relative to Salesforce, in addition to the "in fill" provided by OMA/Rem Koolhaas's Block 8 tower and the Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 4:33 AM
heavy user of walkability

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 5:59 AM
Anti-NIMBY

Every time I see the new skyline I can't help but think how much better the city would look if Transamerica and 345 California were built at their originally proposed heights

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 2:27 PM

I wonder if the bracing on the crown was intentionally designed to match the internal bracing on the Transbay Transit Center? I can't help but notice the similarities. Also curious to how transparent the mesh on the bracing of the crown will be? I hope it will be opaque enough as to not divide the mass of the tower into glass and then mesh screen, rather as one solid mass. From renderings it appears the first three levels of crown will be actually covered by glass windows, even though they won't be habitable. I wonder how they will be lit, or will they just always be dark at night.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 4:00 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Everest View Post
I wonder if the bracing on the crown was intentionally designed to match the internal bracing on the Transbay Transit Center? I can't help but notice the similarities. Also curious to how transparent the mesh on the bracing of the crown will be? I hope it will be opaque enough as to not divide the mass of the tower into glass and then mesh screen, rather as one solid mass. From renderings it appears the first three levels of crown will be actually covered by glass windows, even though they won't be habitable. I wonder how they will be lit, or will they just always be dark at night.

Best night shot I could find at the moment. The answer is LED lights, but I think there is still ambiguity until they are actually turned on.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 4:03 PM

I wonder if some of the windows came from a different manufacturing plant? Is it normal to have some windows that look different from the others. It just looks like some of the glazing is off and it is noticeable. See Timbad post #3055 pix 1 and 2. It's not the sun or shade causing it.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCitySFO View Post
I wonder if some of the windows came from a different manufacturing plant? Is it normal to have some windows that look different from the others. It just looks like some of the glazing is off and it is noticeable. See Timbad post #3055 pix 1 and 2. It's not the sun or shade causing it.
I believe the windows come covered with a plastic film for protection during transport and installation. In some cases I think you can actually see this peeling away from installed windows. But in any case, I am confident the windows will look the same when the building is finished. But I'm pretty sure that is what makes some windows look different--some still have the film on them, some don't (it has peeled off or been intentionally removed).

Last edited by Pedestrian; Apr 16, 2017 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 4:42 PM

Bonus Oceanwide equipment in the foreground

Salesforce Tower under construction by Kenneth Lu, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture