HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Chicago Spire in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzuti View Post
I think that unions would be generally inclined to show greater support for a public project like the Olympic Village than they would a private project like the Spire. In the case of the former, there is more of a guarantee of seeing a return on the investment, there is more of a guarantee that the thing won't fall apart anyway, unions have better relationships with city leaders than they do with construction companies, and even if the Olympic Village were to fail to break even, a union could sidestep the fallout with its members and argue that the Olympics are important way to bring all people together, good for Chicago and good for the world, it brings jobs to people all through the city, and they were only pitching in.

It's really different when you're building an extremely high-end tower for the super-rich, with your blue-collar construction workers. The investment is harder to defend, I think. I personally think it's great that they're playing a role in this, but I wouldn't expect unions to ramp up investments to the same level as they were willing to for the Olympics.
i disagree with almost every sentence in here. the construction companies ARE unions, and they don't care about bringing people together, they care about making money and keeping their workers employed (secondarily). also, i don't think the olympic village was public, and nobody has a good relationship with the city leaders unless they're building mini-malls and townhomes. also, something is either guaranteed or it isn't, and right now, there are no guarantees, olympic village and spire obviously included

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 8:59 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet cm View Post
construction costs have not dropped (yet)
Are you talking about labor or materials? According to this steel prices have dropped by nearly half over the past year and a half. I'm not so sure about concrete prices, but it looks like those haven't really dropped.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 7:34 PM

Dec 10

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 7:54 PM

According to this http://www.economagic.com/em-cgi/data.exe/blswp/wps133 concrete prices have dropped only about 2% from a high in Jan 2009.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
i disagree with almost every sentence in here. the construction companies ARE unions, and they don't care about bringing people together, they care about making money and keeping their workers employed (secondarily). also, i don't think the olympic village was public, and nobody has a good relationship with the city leaders unless they're building mini-malls and townhomes. also, something is either guaranteed or it isn't, and right now, there are no guarantees, olympic village and spire obviously included
Well, perhaps you're right and the union will announce it is putting more than $500M into the Chicago Spire, which is the amount designated for the Olympic Village. I hope you are right, and I would happily eat my words, but I'm not expecting it.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
According to this http://www.economagic.com/em-cgi/data.exe/blswp/wps133 concrete prices have dropped only about 2% from a high in Jan 2009.
Seeing as the tower will have a steel frame and concrete core, I can see how the extimated cost of building the tower has come down by a significant amount.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 10:27 PM
Back in the Windy City

Quote:
Well, perhaps you're right and the union will announce it is putting more than $500M into the Chicago Spire, which is the amount designated for the Olympic Village. I hope you are right, and I would happily eat my words, but I'm not expecting it.
Kelleher isn't asking for $500M, just $170M.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 10:27 PM

2 Years

TWO years ago Today By HarryC:

ONE year ago Today By HarryC

Today, By HarryC:

Last edited by Ryan81; Dec 10, 2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: add picture

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untitled View Post
Kelleher isn't asking for $500M, just $170M.
So he has all the rest of the funds shored up right now? In that case I'd expect construction to begin quite soon. Something doesn't seem quite right about that, though.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 10:47 PM

That's one of the saddest series of pictures I've seen Ryan The only thing that has moved in a year was a big dumpster, everything else literally looks the same.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 12:31 AM
Back in the Windy City

Quote:
So he has all the rest of the funds shored up right now? In that case I'd expect construction to begin quite soon. Something doesn't seem quite right about that, though.
Check out the link to the Roeder article just one page back. Kelleher has other loans lined up provided he can get the union financing. So yes, it appears that construction probably could start quite soon if the unions come on board. But that's a big "if."

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 1:00 AM
Ex Houstonian

Holy crap, nothing has changed on the site for a year, all that steel or whatever on the bottom is still in its exact same position, so are the tracks in the mud on the bottom left of the picture, so sad.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 7:32 PM

Here is World Architecture News.

Pretty much the same story and details....but it's good to see so many media outlets around the world reporting it.

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=12950

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 5:52 PM

Union Proposes Chicago Spire Rescue

http://www.artinfo.com/news/story/33...-spire-rescue/

"CHICAGO—The dream of creating North America’s tallest building — architect Santiago Calatrava’s Chicago Spire — has found new life. Tom Villanova, leader of the Chicago and Cook County Building and Construction Trades Council (CBTC) has announced that his organization will provide a $170 million loan to the project’s current developer, Shelbourne Development Group, in an effort to restart work on the building, which could create as many as 1,000 new construction jobs."

unless there's something i'm missing,

edit: i will reserve dancing bananas for some more concrete evidence, but i have to assume artinfo isn't making stuff up. hopefully we can change the smilie from "" to ""

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 6:01 PM
Ex Houstonian

Good news, good news indeed

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 6:03 PM

Woohoo! Artinfo being the one to break the story...

Lets hope they have the scoop on this one, and that they union has indeed come to an agreement with Shelbourne.
Provided this is indeed true... Is Case Foundation the first contractor to return to the site? I wonder if the recession has let to a bidding war in the choice of a general contractor. Hopefully construction prices have dropped...

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 6:07 PM
BANNED

The only thing that makes me nervous about this being a false alarm is the title where it uses the word "Proposes"... Then again I don't know why artinfo would just suddenly decide to post an article reiterating the story from a week ago now...

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post

edit: i will reserve dancing bananas for some more concrete evidence
In more ways than one.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 6:14 PM
devout Pizzatarian

until i see an article with a direct quote from Tom Villanova saying that the union has agreed to provide the loan, i'll be withholding my excitement.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 6:15 PM

Agreed, the word "proposes" and "in an effort to restart work" sounds like it is still in discussion.
The AFL-CIO website does say there is a live webcast this afternoon...

http://www.aflcio.org/
"At 4 p.m. EST today, AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka will host a live conversation and answer your questions about the jobs crisis and the way forward."
I will wait for more a more concrete press release before getting excited. But at least it seems like the two parties are still talking...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects