HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Chicago Spire in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 11:19 PM
All-American City Boy

Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post
Lawsuit: Chicago Spire not paying

A lawsuit has been filed against the Chicago Spire for allegedly failing to pay for media planning services.

OMD USA says that it entered into a contract with Chicago Spire and its managing member Shelbourne Development Group in June 2007 where it was agreed that OMD would perform media planning services on their behalf, which it did at a rate of $42,083.00 per month.......

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chic...ot-paying.html
Here we go again....

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzuti View Post
Can you link us to a credible source for that information? A university statistician or economist who proposed the correlation between baseball games and development?
I realize you are being funny, but you don't really need a credible source when nationwide the numbers simply don't add up for condo development, let alone 150 floors of superluxury units.

But you do need a reason to believe that the musings of a politically-oriented union boss carry any credibility. I bet Villanova really wishes he hadn't said anything, because chances are he will ending up having to wipe alot of egg off his face. He's got alot of people hanging on his every word. Where was all his money 18 months ago when Shelbourne really needed it? Presumably because it didn't work then, and it doesn't work even more dramatically now.

The numbers are the numbers. There's a reason no one is building condos now, and $170 million of union equity into a $2 billion+ project can't possibly put a dent in that reality.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 11:39 PM

yeah, but to bring up something someone said ealier, 18 months ago, we hadn't been denied the olympics yet. unions were planning on putting their guys to work with olympics projects

how many similarities might there be between empire state building and chicago spire?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Here we go again....
Well, that's one reason for the $170 million from the unions, to help pay off certain bills and liens and to re-start the project.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 4:14 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Well, that's one reason for the $170 million from the unions, to help pay off certain bills and liens and to re-start the project.
I wonder if any of recent history's other major projects like the Spire were as riddled with lawsuits and issues as this one has been.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 5:09 PM

Quote:
I wonder if any of recent history's other major projects like the Spire were as riddled with lawsuits and issues as this one has been.
World Trade Center.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 5:13 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg View Post
World Trade Center.
The new one or the original set? Lawsuits or just arguing and bickering over it?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 6:25 PM
BANNED

In the last year in Chicago alone there Block 37, Trump Tower, and Waterview Tower...

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 11:23 PM

Dec 17

From above

higer res 2007 series - 2008 Q1 series - 2008 Q2 series - 2008 Q3 & 4 series - 2009 series

Turned off - for now.

The ice returns.

Panasonic DMZ TZ4 - Picasa - Autostitch - Photomatix HDR

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
What planet are you living on? There are a couple liens for unpaid bills, a couple of which have turned into suits. They are just trying to cope with the recession-depression like everyone else. Yes that includes their faraway lender hitting the rocks.

You need to turn around 180 degrees and realize this is one of the most spectacularly smoothly-progressing mega projects in the US's recent history. (Whether they'll find condo buyers is another -- business -- issue, and not a political or legal issue.) This is what Chicago does, and does well. The mayor supports it, the alderman supports it, the local community supports it (exc. a couple of miniscule bumps as always). A semi-highway (LSD) was readily and smoothly modified for it. The public, and critics, are in love with the design. The architect is in love with the city, and refined his design many times so it was perfect and local-history-alluding. He even threw in a bridge design to boot. The developer, a foreigner, is in love with the city. He is friendly with the mayor. The unions love (will love) this project. The engineering and construction trades relish the work and the challenges.

If somehow you are hung up on things being "riddled" with problems, look at anything major in NYC (new WTC, transit hub, Television City 1980s-1990s, etc., etc.) or O'Hare OMP or Fourth Presbyterian or Lincoln Park 2520 in Chicago etc.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 3:15 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
What planet are you living on? There are a couple liens for unpaid bills, a couple of which have turned into suits. They are just trying to cope with the recession-depression like everyone else. Yes that includes their faraway lender hitting the rocks.

You need to turn around 180 degrees and realize this is one of the most spectacularly smoothly-progressing mega projects in the US's recent history. (Whether they'll find condo buyers is another -- business -- issue, and not a political or legal issue.) This is what Chicago does, and does well. The mayor supports it, the alderman supports it, the local community supports it (exc. a couple of miniscule bumps as always). A semi-highway (LSD) was readily and smoothly modified for it. The public, and critics, are in love with the design. The architect is in love with the city, and refined his design many times so it was perfect and local-history-alluding. He even threw in a bridge design to boot. The developer, a foreigner, is in love with the city. He is friendly with the mayor. The unions love (will love) this project. The engineering and construction trades relish the work and the challenges.

If somehow you are hung up on things being "riddled" with problems, look at anything major in NYC (new WTC, transit hub, Television City 1980s-1990s, etc., etc.) or O'Hare OMP or Fourth Presbyterian or Lincoln Park 2520 in Chicago etc.
That's a lot of hostility for a simple question. You're coming off like I don't want this thing to be built or I expect it to not be built. Has the building been "RIDDLED" with problems? YES. Whether the global economic climate is to blame, or whatever, the project has been "RIDDLED" with problems and that's why it hasn't come off the ground in years. I want the Spire to be built and I'm rooting for it, so take your unwarranted anger somewhere else.

Last edited by HomrQT; Dec 18, 2009 at 3:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 7:57 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post

Take a deep breath. Why the hostile response?

-sb

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 8:09 PM

Hi. . . just going to remind everyone that abusive posts will not be tolerated and any further disruption will result in disciplinary action. . .

. . .

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 10:20 PM
THAT Guy

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-b...rticleId=32828

Chicago Spire twists in wind as union funds pass on bailout loan
By: Eddie Baeb December 21, 2009

Officials at four big investment funds affiliated with labor unions say they're not interested in rescuing the stalled Chicago Spire project.

...But two union funds identified by a local labor leader and a Spire spokeswoman as having expressed interest, the AFL-CIO Building Investment Trust and the union-backed life insurer ULLICO Inc., are taking a pass, according to top executives there. Representatives of two others, the AFL-CIO Housing Investment Trust and the Multi-Employer Property Trust, say the Spire isn't a suitable investment for them.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 10:44 PM

what's the difference between saying it's not a suitable investment and "taking a pass"?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 10:55 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
what's the difference between saying it's not a suitable investment and "taking a pass"?
Perhaps some took more time analyzing the pros and cons versus others who might’ve not even entertained the notion. Just because it may not be viewed as a suitable investment at this point in time doesn’t mean that it’s going to be removed off the radar screen further down the road. It’s really not an appropriate time for any investor to be nestling themselves in an investment which calls for the demand of a market which has retreated over the past year. Face it, this was proposed during different economic times and during different financial practices. Times have changed dramatically financially over the last year and investors are much more cautious and hesitant to just start throwing money down. If I were an investor I wouldn’t view this as a wise investment, it’s a completely rationalized fact. It makes no sense to pump money into a real estate project geared towards a market of individuals who a reluctant to spend during this point of time. Building with the gamble that they will come down the road is a reckless risk. This is just not practical right now, not matter how it would look in the Chicago skyline.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 11:05 PM

^^^Couldn't have said it better.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 11:57 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
From above

The ice returns.

Panasonic DMZ TZ4 - Picasa - Autostitch - Photomatix HDR
Nice pic, harry. This looks like nasty. Between freeze/ thaw, oxidation & uv rays/ summer heat taking its toll, this pit structure can't last in this exposed condition, IMO.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 2:14 AM

this is a shame and i guess after they didnt get those loans the Spire is as good as dead like Waterview. Sad times

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 2:36 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydie View Post
this is a shame and i guess after they didnt get those loans the Spire is as good as dead like Waterview. Sad times
There are a couple bright sides to that though; one being that the retaining work for this parcel of land has already been done. That’s one less thing a developer of a future project has to worry about, and consequently makes the piece of land itself that much more attractive down the line. A prime piece of real estate off the water with slurry walls sounds pretty good to me if I’m a developer.

Another is that there is nothing there. Unlike Waterview where you have to deal with the inconvenience of incorporating an aging structure into a new design or removing it all together, this is an empty piece of land. Now granted you have a hole, that can still be viewed as a pro; it’s a foundation which an architect can incorporate into a new design.

The piece of land today is in a better situation now then it was five years ago. Work has been done to support something, whether that something is the Spire or not remains to be seen. However, in the event that it isn’t the opportunity will still be present down the line to create something new.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects