HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 2:23 AM

I wonder the max amount of cranes that will be up there once construction goes full swing on the site.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
i wonder the max amount of cranes that will be up there once construction goes full swing on the site.
20-30???

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
20-30???
20 sounds like a very optimistic number. Even 15 sounds like a lot at one time in such a relatively small area. It will be done in phases and very likely will have at least a couple of starts and stops. Plus unfortunately it will probably peter out before all is completed (just the nature of such grand scale projects) leaving gaps to be completed piece meal over the next couple of decades.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 4:11 PM

You shut your mouth right now. I want to see that thing finished in the next 5 years. I believe. I believe. I believe.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 7:25 PM

Very cool.
I didn't expect to see cranes so soon. Next I'm anxiously looking forward to the South Downtown towers to getting started.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
20 sounds like a very optimistic number. Even 15 sounds like a lot at one time in such a relatively small area. It will be done in phases and very likely will have at least a couple of starts and stops. Plus unfortunately it will probably peter out before all is completed (just the nature of such grand scale projects) leaving gaps to be completed piece meal over the next couple of decades.

I don't agree with the start and stops, I live in Castleberry, and people traffic is building in the area, and restaurants are opening near Forsyth. The new Mitchell Street bridge is a great asset as well.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarrior View Post
I don't agree with the start and stops, I live in Castleberry, and people traffic is building in the area, and restaurants are opening near Forsyth. The new Mitchell Street bridge is a great asset as well.
Traffic has been building steadily in Midtown for years and it hasn’t prevented Atlantic Station from having starts and stops, and Midtown is the more desirable location.

This other development might turn out to be a different story but if we go off comparable developments, it’s unlikely.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username123 View Post
Traffic has been building steadily in Midtown for years and it hasn’t prevented Atlantic Station from having starts and stops, and Midtown is the more desirable location.
Yep, for sure ... even after 20 years, the original Atlantic Station plan isn't finished. There are some big holes. It's standard for these projects.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
Yep, for sure ... even after 20 years, the original Atlantic Station plan isn't finished. There are some big holes. It's standard for these projects.
For perspective, there were still working farms and dairies in New York City into the 1950s. It took many years for NYC to reach its current "built out" state, and today's impatient Atlantans are going to be astonished when they look back in another 20-30 years. Enjoy the ride!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 6:13 PM

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 2:02 PM

^Nice! Looks like both towers will be going up at once?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 2:44 PM

I wish they'd be a little more open about the timeline, at least short term. Would be nice to know what parts are breaking ground in the next 6 months to year so we can get a better idea of how it might look as it goes up

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAY0 View Post
I wish they'd be a little more open about the timeline, at least short term. Would be nice to know what parts are breaking ground in the next 6 months to year so we can get a better idea of how it might look as it goes up
The only applied permits a for four buildings:
1. The residential tower shown above;
2. The hotel tower shown above;
3. The residential building behind CY South, north of the bridge; and
4. The residential building on Elliot Street.

3 and 4 are in permitting. Permitting takes up to a year now and permitting delays can cost projects their financing.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
The only applied permits a for four buildings:
1. The residential tower shown above;
2. The hotel tower shown above;
3. The residential building behind CY South, north of the bridge; and
4. The residential building on Elliot Street.

3 and 4 are in permitting. Permitting takes up to a year now and permitting delays can cost projects their financing.
I’ve been meaning to ask this for years…can someone explain the permitting process? It seems like a formality to me and I don’t understand why it can take up to a year to process/approve. Seems like the city would want as many projects approved as possible for tax purposes, so why delay, especially if you have willing partners willing to pay the necessary fines associated.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 7:57 PM

Was doing some digging and came across this video which doesn't really contain any new info, but presents the developments in south downtown really well. In particular the shot at 1:55 shows, to my knowledge, a never before seen render of mitchell street in CY, which provides a clearer picture of what the southern area might look like in a couple of years.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLmangum View Post
I’ve been meaning to ask this for years…can someone explain the permitting process? It seems like a formality to me and I don’t understand why it can take up to a year to process/approve. Seems like the city would want as many projects approved as possible for tax purposes, so why delay, especially if you have willing partners willing to pay the necessary fines associated.
Getting building permits takes time. The city has to review every detail for compliance with local codes, state codes, and national building codes. As you can imagine, some of the plan sets for towers are literally hundreds of pages.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 4:04 AM

A year to design/permit a high rise with a pretty certain outcome is relatively good. In California you’re generally looking at a multi-year process with an uncertain outcome.

There’s a ridiculous amount of complexity. The life safety plans for buildings like this are a huge deal. Fire sprinkler plans are developed by speciality vendors separate from the architecture/engineering team. The site plan review (which is how the city imposes all the correct dimensions and driveway restrictions etc that people on this forum want) then has an impact on the entire design of the building. Then once it all gets designed and reviewed and approved, there are scores of inspections that will happen on a project like this.

This is all why Novare started doing cookie-cutter Skyhouses around 2012 or so. As long as a plot of land had certain characteristics, it could accommodate the basic high rise design. Much less uncertainty. Nowadays real estate has gotten a lot more expensive in places like Midtown (or City Center Charlotte, Channelside Tampa, etc) and every single project has to optimize the use of the land.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
A year to design/permit a high rise with a pretty certain outcome is relatively good. In California you’re generally looking at a multi-year process with an uncertain outcome.

There’s a ridiculous amount of complexity. The life safety plans for buildings like this are a huge deal. Fire sprinkler plans are developed by speciality vendors separate from the architecture/engineering team. The site plan review (which is how the city imposes all the correct dimensions and driveway restrictions etc that people on this forum want) then has an impact on the entire design of the building. Then once it all gets designed and reviewed and approved, there are scores of inspections that will happen on a project like this.

This is all why Novare started doing cookie-cutter Skyhouses around 2012 or so. As long as a plot of land had certain characteristics, it could accommodate the basic high rise design. Much less uncertainty. Nowadays real estate has gotten a lot more expensive in places like Midtown (or City Center Charlotte, Channelside Tampa, etc) and every single project has to optimize the use of the land.
It was explained to me like this...

When any other profession makes a small "typo," they can just shrug it off. When somebody working on designing a building makes a small "typo," people can die.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 1:33 PM

To add to these other comments, the City of Atlanta has recently had a few reviewers and planners leave, so the turnaround has severely lengthened, and it's even longer if a project needs to go through the SAP process or the like.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2023, 1:58 PM

Crane Base in place for the Anthem Hotel Building

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta