HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 4:09 PM

Bussing,

Buses have been working well for over one hundred years.I haven't ridden one ( a bus) since I was a kid but I used buses a lot when I was, a kid. In fact City buses were used to take we kids home from school every day. And, they were air-conditioned where the high school wasn't.
Many working class people use Via to get to work and back.
Rail will not happen here, I too believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajarreguin3 View Post
I dont think the city of San Antonio understands that buses is not going to work.

The way to get people to commute is through light rails. SMH. Never going to happen to such a wonderful city.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forward looking View Post
Buses have been working well for over one hundred years.I haven't ridden one ( a bus) since I was a kid but I used buses a lot when I was, a kid. In fact City buses were used to take we kids home from school every day. And, they were air-conditioned where the high school wasn't.
Many working class people use Via to get to work and back.
Rail will not happen here, I too believe.
If buses worked well in San Antonio you would still be using them.

It's not an either/or situation, buses and rail transit. Effective transit systems use both in a complementary fashion.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 2:31 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post

It's not an either/or situation, buses and rail transit. Effective transit systems use both in a complementary fashion.
Boston has an adequate rail system. It also has a very good bus system. Combine the two and you can get anywhere in the city for $2 and not have to pay for parking.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 6:25 PM

Mistaken,

This post is simply Untrue and so, this post ends up with an overly Simplistic conclusion. I do not use the Transit system presently because ever since I began to mature and could afford buying automobiles, only then, did I stop riding the Bus.
It was not a matter of the system not working well.
I used to pay only the Student Rate to use the San Antonio Transit System back then and so I could ride across town for 11 cents. I do not know what the present rate of A San Antonio bus ride is but it is probably less than the cost of a gallon of gasoline. I was a teenager back then and used to visit my girlfriend in this manner, the only way I could afford to get across town. Sure it worked well and I am sure it does still work well for those who cannot afford an automobile, insurance, gasoline and repairs. Retail workers etc.

Detroit has a notoriously unreliable public transportation system. Yes , it does not work well there, but this is not true here in this City.

I did, I must admit have to buy a transfer back then- .02 cents to get completely, all the way across San Antonio. With a red slip of paper I got bus fare for a second trip. So. Only in this way I could afford to cross San Antonio for a Grand total of .13 cents. To ride to downtown was eleven cents and then I used to catch the second bus out, with the two cent transfer, from downtown on Houston Street. A good deal indeed.

Quote:

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 7:29 PM

Quote:
This post is simply Untrue and so, this post ends up with an overly Simplistic conclusion. I do not use the Transit system presently because ever since I began to mature and could afford buying automobiles, only then, did I stop riding the Bus.
It was not a matter of the system not working well.
I used to pay only the Student Rate to use the San Antonio Transit System back then and so I could ride across town for 11 cents. I do not know what the present rate of A San Antonio bus ride is but it is probably less than the cost of a gallon of gasoline. I was a teenager back then and used to visit my girlfriend in this manner, the only way I could afford to get across town. Sure it worked well and I am sure it does still work well for those who cannot afford an automobile, insurance, gasoline and repairs. Retail workers etc.

Detroit has a notoriously unreliable public transportation system. Yes , it does not work well there, but this is not true here in this City.

I did, I must admit have to buy a transfer back then- .02 cents to get completely, all the way across San Antonio. With a red slip of paper I got bus fare for a second trip. So. Only in this way I could afford to cross San Antonio for a Grand total of .13 cents. To ride to downtown was eleven cents and then I used to catch the second bus out, with the two cent transfer, from downtown on Houston Street. A good deal indeed.
I see. A transit system that is only used by people as a last resort because they have no other option is one that "works well", and you are sure of that even though you have apparently not used it in decades and have no empirical knowledge to support your claim. I'm not sure that if you asked one of the adults who have to rely on VIA to get them to work on time if the system works well, that they would have the same nostalgic rose-colored teenager-visiting-his-girlfriend point of view that you have.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 7:33 PM
The Space Pope

Quote:
I see. A transit system that is only used by people as a last resort because they have no other option is one that "works well", and you are sure of that even though you have apparently not used it in decades and have no empirical knowledge to support your claim. I'm not sure that if you asked one of the adults who have to rely on VIA to get them to work on time if the system works well, that they would have the same nostalgic rose-colored teenager-visiting-his-girlfriend point of view that you have.
Thank you, you're doing the Lord's work... took the words right out of my mouth!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 11:18 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
VIA is awful. It is one of the worst public transit agencies in the entire country by any objective measure (ridership, funding, coverage, frequency, and anything with “per capita” before it). But part of the reason WHY is because San Antonio, both the city (including BOTH the “urban core” and the periphery) and its suburbs, are built or have been retrofitted to require a personal automobile for transportation.

This is akin to a poor and working class Roman city having been built with the stupid notion that everyone can afford to own, house, feed, use, and maintain a horse-drawn chariot.

The right fiscally conservative approach here is to first change land use ordinances and THEN to add transit later once new movement patterns emerge out of the new land use. Until that happens, piecemeal transit approaches are more viable.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
VIA is awful. It is one of the worst public transit agencies in the entire country by any objective measure (ridership, funding, coverage, frequency, and anything with “per capita” before it). But part of the reason WHY is because San Antonio, both the city (including BOTH the “urban core” and the periphery) and its suburbs, are built or have been retrofitted to require a personal automobile for transportation.

This is akin to a poor and working class Roman city having been built with the stupid notion that everyone can afford to own, house, feed, use, and maintain a horse-drawn chariot.

The right fiscally conservative approach here is to first change land use ordinances and THEN to add transit later once new movement patterns emerge out of the new land use. Until that happens, piecemeal transit approaches are more viable.
You're right that land use patterns have to change, but I don't think that development has to come first. First is nice, but it can happen during or after. The new transit can spur new development. I've used the DC metro system extensively over the years (which is America's newest metro rail system, being only a few decades old) and I have watched as dense development followed, as a result of its creation.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 1:22 AM

But of course you've given,

The definitive answer. Because it is public transportation. Call these riders of public transportation, "Last resorters" if you, like. It is transportation for people who occupy the lowest rung of society. Empirical data? For many, many, it is a life line.
This is ostracism. Well, Rosa Parks is but an extreme example of public transportation empirical data. The civil rights movement began aboard a city bus. It is vital. Still, they ostracize.

Quote:

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 1:38 AM

Quote:
The definitive answer. Because it is public transportation. Call these riders of public transportation, "Last resorters" if you, like. It is transportation for people who occupy the lowest rung of society. Empirical data? For many, many, it is a life line.
This is ostracism. Well, Rosa Parks is but an extreme example of public transportation empirical data. The civil rights movement began aboard a city bus. It is vital. Still, they ostracize.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 4:27 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 8:30 PM

Funny Stuff?

Butt-Holdsworth Memorial Library? What a Hoot! Kind of humorous isn't it?.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Just please, please, please don't call it the "Howard E. Butt San Antonio Int'l Airport"! I've still never gotten over the fact that the public library in Kerrville is called "Butt-Holdsworth Memorial Library".

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Butt-Holdsworth Memorial Library? What a Hoot! Kind of humorous isn't it?.
I lived in Fort Wayne for a long time and they wanted to erect a statue of a great man there. His name was Harry Baals. Pronounced"Balls". For a while there was push back but (,no pun intended" small fish compared to Baals.

Just Google it, it got some major press even did a segment with Jimmy Kimmel about it. All Fort Wayne has now is a Harry Baals Street.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 4:01 PM

Why San Antonio’s bike-share company is going all-electric

https://sanantonioreport.org/bcycle-electric-fleet/

San Antonio’s bike-share company is fully electrifying its fleet, a sign of a growing global trend toward e-bike riding.

By the end of November, BCycle, which has operated the city’s only bike-share fleet for a decade, will have converted its entire fleet of roughly 300 bikes to pedal-assist bikes that give riders a boost from a battery-powered motor.

“We’re seeing it, really, across the entire cycling industry,” J.D. Simpson, BCycle general manager, said of the growth of e-bikes worldwide.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 5:01 PM

Humorous,

This Balls, Harry, is even funnier than the Butt Library or the Airport named the Butt Landing strip. Light humor butt somewhat questionable to boot. Boot the Butt nomenclature for our Airport.
At least the Fort Wayne Airport would have achieved some notoriety and therefor fame? The announcement would be.....
Flights from Balls to Butt Airport now leaving.
The Balls Airport name would have been changed eventually; exactly like all of the Civil War Hero Statues which are steadily disappearing.
African Americans flinch at these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbl1 View Post
I lived in Fort Wayne for a long time and they wanted to erect a statue of a great man there. His name was Harry Baals. Pronounced"Balls". For a while there was push back but (,no pun intended" small fish compared to Baals.

Just Google it, it got some major press even did a segment with Jimmy Kimmel about it. All Fort Wayne has now is a Harry Baals Street.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 6:02 PM

By any other, objective measure,

Yes the Detroit Public transportation system was far poorer than San Antonio's. In fact, factually, imagine waiting for a City Bus which never came one day and simply never, ever came again.People were even run over by city buses because the driver had been convicted of a DWI and so poor driving habits caused the driver to run over a woman passenger with the back wheels of the bus. Literally "thrown under the bus". Yes.
Yes. Then Vice-President Joe Biden helped Detroit Mayor Dugan obtain a Federal Grant for eighty (80) brand New City Buses. For free. This was how bad it was. There are many,many near subsistence residences in the City of Detroit. Due mainly to "White Flight". This the City that put America on wheels. Ironically. Robberies. Assaults. These crimes happened on Buses. The City of Detroit soon famously filed for Bankruptcy.
The Mayor, Kwame Kilpatric, was also soon serving a twenty eight year sentence for Blackmail, strong arm etc. in a Federal Penitentiary here in north Texas. Trumpus gave him a Pardon after a few years.
The mistress was mysteriously murdered under questionable circumstances, also.
The Entire City Council of Detroit was under indictment at that time. Various offenses. The wife of the History's longest serving U.S. Congressman- Rep. John Conyers, who, she, His wife, Mrs. John Conyers, serving as a Detroit Councilperson, was sentenced to wear a tether on her ankle after being convicted of corruption.
The Superintendent of Detroit Public Schools was caught stealing school funds from the Free Lunch Program for children.
The firemen's boots had holes in them, Really. Firetrucks were the victims of armed holdups for the brass parts which could be sold for their scrap value. EMS Ambulances were also held up and the Technicians were robbed of valuables and money. Cops shot.
The City buses were at the bottom of the list. Yes, it was pretty bad. Worse than San Antonio. A Detroiter could not leave the city to the suburbs, there was no public transport available. Irony of Ironies, the actual city bus where
the inimitable Rosa Parks famously would not give up her seat to a White Man sits in an Exhibit in the Henry Ford Museum a few miles outside the Detroit City limit in Dearborn,mi. Just outside of "Mexican Town". Yes, there is such a place.
San Antonio Transit System seemed a paradise in comparison. By any objective measure. One could walk out of a bakery in Mexicantown having purchased Pan Dulce , and see Canada. This, Mexicantown, is the only part of Detroit which does not operate at a deficit. Hard workers.
Multiple Pounds of Cocaine mysteriously disappeared from the Detroit Police evidence room. One Detroit officer was convicted of transporting multiple pounds of cocaine from Toledo, just to the south, in his squad car.
Corruption was discovered in sewer sludge hauling contracts, City Towing Contracts and other city services. The city is riddled with corruption. The famous ex-mayor of Detroit was discovered to have an unregistered handgun after his death. Coleman Young.There were not even identification numbers by the manufacturer on the handgun.
Detroit has two rails and a bus system. One rail is a monorail elevated type of transport which is around 35 feet in the air and that rail strictly runs between the taller buildings downtown. G.M. World headquarters etc.
The other rail runs across the ground from the center of the City away from the Detroit Riverwalk, out Woodward Ave, (the first mile of concrete paved road on earth -entitled the M-1 and the site of many an automobile muscle car manufacturer drag race).
Rosa Parks had eventually relocated to Detroit and had even, a city thoroughfare named after her. Ms. Parks was the victim of a home invasion by two thugs who did not know her identity. These two were run down on foot and beaten by her rescuers.
Yes I would indeed say the Detroit Public transit System , by any objective measure was far, far worse than San Antonio's public transit ever was.
All of the things above contributed to the questionable awarding of the Detroit Public Transit System as being at the bottom of the worst of the 200 largest transit systems in the country.
Yes, it was truly, truly, awful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 2:50 AM

Tunnels and tracks: Two proposed airport-to-downtown projects advance

https://sanantonioreport.org/tunnels...ject-advances/

A plan by Elon Musk’s Boring Company for a project that would connect the San Antonio airport to downtown via twin underground tunnels is among two proposals a local transportation agency is considering.

In a meeting Wednesday, the board of the Alamo Regional Mobility Authority (Alamo RMA) confirmed the staff’s recommendation of proposals from the Boring Company and from Bexar Automated Transport to advance to the interview stage.

Both companies will be invited at a later date to present a full proposal and answer questions before the board makes its final selection.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Tunnels and tracks: Two proposed airport-to-downtown projects advance

https://sanantonioreport.org/tunnels...ject-advances/

A plan by Elon Musk’s Boring Company for a project that would connect the San Antonio airport to downtown via twin underground tunnels is among two proposals a local transportation agency is considering.

In a meeting Wednesday, the board of the Alamo Regional Mobility Authority (Alamo RMA) confirmed the staff’s recommendation of proposals from the Boring Company and from Bexar Automated Transport to advance to the interview stage.

Both companies will be invited at a later date to present a full proposal and answer questions before the board makes its final selection.
That entire article is bonkers.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The plan offered by TriTrack Motors called for spending $24 million to build an elevated track for three-wheeled autonomous vehicles that could travel at up to 180 mph.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 3:39 AM

Quote:
If the city planners want a modern airport then need to have a rail service to downtown. The last thing you do not want is a wheeled shuttle traveling underground (Tesla or bus) where visitors like to look out of windows to enjoy the view of the city. And all along US-281 is the most scenic view of SA.

I slightly still remember walking on part of the freeway before it opened seeing downtown skyline, endless tree-line and Olmos Dam.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio