HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 12:38 AM

Two new high-rises are in the works for North Dallas’ Preston Center

Project Location

Quote:
Developers are detailing plans for two new towers planned in North Dallas’ Preston Center district.

Rosebriar Holdings and Burk Interests announced the high-rises earlier this year on almost 1.5 acres they own along Westchester Drive just east of the Dallas North Tollway.

The developers are seeking zoning to build the two towers with residential, retail and hotel space on the site near Preston Road.
Quote:
The proposed high-rises will replace a three-story office and single-story retail building along the west side of Westchester.

One residential tower will have 255 apartments and will be developed by Burk Interests.

The other building on the corner will have 240 hotel rooms and 90 condos with ground-floor restaurant and retail space.

“Rather than having additional office on this site, we are bringing in residential and hotel uses,” said Evan Beattie of GFF. “At the center of the site where the two properties come together, there will be a significant open space.”

A landscaped court between the buildings, wide sidewalks on two sidesand lavish plantings of trees and greenery are part of the development plans.

Beattie said the developers are “significantly committing to planting areas and new open space.”
Quote:
Most of the parking will be in underground garages.
Quote:
“As a neighbor, we understand our great responsibility of getting this site right,” said investor Leland Burk. “We view this as a legacy project for our family and our partners.”

But before a groundbreaking, the developers must get zoning approval from Dallas’ city plan commission and city council to allow greater height and density for the buildings.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 3:22 AM

Is there another skyline starting to develop in this part of the city?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 5:00 AM
Hopeful Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
Is there another skyline starting to develop in this part of the city?
There already is one, these projects are located in the Preston Center.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 4:50 PM

Ok thanks.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Ok thanks.
Yes, one tower will be 27-stories the other will be 23-stories for the two tower project. Here are more renders.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...ine#g/469270/1

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 8:44 PM

Will the NIMBY's kill this one like another project a couple years back for PC?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 4:24 AM
Hopeful Graduate

From the Dallas Morning News article:

Quote:
The projects got mostly positive responses from the audience on the conference call. There were questions about traffic and the size of the buildings.
So there is a possibility this could get approved. I really wouldn't understand why this would be rejected as it seems that it would attract a matching demographic in the area, but there is of course bound to be opposition.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW View Post
Yes, one tower will be 27-stories the other will be 23-stories for the two tower project. Here are more renders.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...ine#g/469270/1
Cool. Hopefully it gets approved!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymant View Post
From the Dallas Morning News article:

So there is a possibility this could get approved. I really wouldn't understand why this would be rejected as it seems that it would attract a matching demographic in the area, but there is of course bound to be opposition.
Which is what I don't understand. Preston Center isn't anything magical or visually stimulating. It could be revamped further and evolve into Dallas' version of Rodeo Drive if they wanted to, given the demographics of the adjacent area. The main hinderance to that would be the fact NorthPark Center is not even 2 miles away on Northwest Hwy.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
Which is what I don't understand. Preston Center isn't anything magical or visually stimulating. It could be revamped further and evolve into Dallas' version of Rodeo Drive if they wanted to, given the demographics of the adjacent area. The main hinderance to that would be the fact NorthPark Center is not even 2 miles away on Northwest Hwy.
It's the disparate ownership of the Preston Center sites and the nearby NIMBYs, which may be the worst in the entire city, that limit its potential.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 1:26 PM

We get our first look at a new, 2-tower proposal in the Design District northwest of downtown & across the street from the new Virgin Hotel-Dallas. The developer has only submitted the plans for the first tower, with the 2nd at an undetermined time. Originally to have started in March, October is now the tentative start time.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 8:40 PM

Here’s more renders of the two towers.
https://www.concreteamsterdam.nl/dallas-urby

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 11:29 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

I like the design. It's kind of zen.

Odd location though. It's kind of fascinating how growth has leapfrogged all the empty parking lots in downtown Dallas and instead they are tearing down 1950s quasi-suburban business park and warehouse structures on the other side of the highway.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post

Odd location though. It's kind of fascinating how growth has leapfrogged all the empty parking lots in downtown Dallas and instead they are tearing down 1950s quasi-suburban business park and warehouse structures on the other side of the highway.
It sucks for downtown, but many of those lots are raking in $ for their owners, so unless a substantial offer is put forth to compensate, they're not going anywhere. The biggest crime is Field & San Jacinto where it's parking on all 4 corners, large lots at that.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 2:59 PM
Hopeful Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post

I think these are more overdue, only because this area already was planned to have multiple towers which have yet to come to fruition. But Imagine that it would be a lot more expensive to build downtown than in the Design District and a project like this even with two towers seems small scale compared to the downtown available lots.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymant View Post
I think these are more overdue, only because this area already was planned to have multiple towers which have yet to come to fruition. But Imagine that it would be a lot more expensive to build downtown than in the Design District and a project like this even with two towers seems small scale compared to the downtown available lots.
Do you think some of the other companies are waiting for someone to start their projects first?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 1:19 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

From what I can tell, this is the site:

I wonder if in the future they might consider putting a pedestrian bridge over the water where Hi-Line terminates and then carve a path through to Market Center Drive.

source: screenshot of google maps

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 6:38 PM
Hopeful Graduate

Quote:
Do you think some of the other companies are waiting for someone to start their projects first?
I believe this could possibly be the case, as the still is not a large amount of new office and residential development. But currently Dallas is at a bittersweet moment where the are a lot of new neighborhood candidates for high-rise and mid-rise developments. It seems currently that the Oak Lawn, Deep Ellum and Downtown Dallas neighborhoods are more likely to receive the development dollars after the Uptown neighborhood. The Design District has not quite managed to obtain the reputation and appeal these adjacent and close proximity neighborhoods have amassed. So I think companies look and wouldn't mind developing in the Design District, but wind up choosing a location they like more.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 4:44 PM

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 4:57 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

How serious is that proposal? I thought that development was leftover from the Amazon bid? I also recall several years ago someone else proposed a supertall on some random lot on the periphery of Downtown Dallas but nothing came of it.

I want to be optimistic but that's a funky spot.

I wish someone would do something about the desolate gray wastes of parking lots on the northeast edge of downtown near the light rail tunnel portal. On google maps you can still see the alignment of where the rail tracks were shifted to make space for the green line. All these years and there is nothing on those lots. It's awful.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations