HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Phoenix MSA is also 3x larger than the Salt Lake MSA, so it's kind of interesting that this comparison can even be made. Phoenix and San Antonio are exhibits A and B of the effects of 20th century automobile-centric city growth and planning.
Isn't the SLC CSA nearing 3 million now? The Phoenix CSA is 5 million which mainly consists of he metro area, it feels about twice as big but the SLC CSA is pretty sprawly too. Especially North to South given the constraints of growing East to West. Ogden to Provo is 80 miles apart, Surprise to Queen Creek is 66 miles apart.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Phoenix Might have a lot going on, but they don’t have Wendell Block.
This is just funny. You keep hinting about this block. I'm trying to think of who you remind me of. Maybe like the son of Fantastic Mr. Fox trying to prove that he's athletic.

Last edited by Orlando; Jun 7, 2020 at 5:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 9:17 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Ok, yeah, PHX is doing well. SLC won't catch up to them any time soon.
I think this is the issue we're going to see with SLC for the foreseeable future.

The skyline has been so underwhelming for so many years that they're going to be at least one iteration behind a great deal of similar sized cities, which will always keep them from catching up.

Take Portland as an example. For sure, as our skyline grows over the next decade, it absolutely can be in the realm of comparability to Portland RIGHT NOW but Portland is also growing - as are a great deal of other CSA-similar sized cities to Salt Lake City.

This building is currently under construction in Portland:

It's going to be taller (460 feet) than anything Salt Lake has proposed.

They also have a 357 tall tower proposed that should be starting construction next year.

So, absolutely, SLC is making strides but, unfortunately, they're so far behind some cities with similar CSA populations that beyond those cities seeing stagnant skyline development for decades, it's unlikely they'll ever be able to catch up.

But hey - at least the change in the skyline from the 1970s is dramatic enough:

Last edited by Comrade; Jun 7, 2020 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 10:33 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Isn't the SLC CSA nearing 3 million now? The Phoenix CSA is 5 million which mainly consists of he metro area, it feels about twice as big but the SLC CSA is pretty sprawly too. Especially North to South given the constraints of growing East to West. Ogden to Provo is 80 miles apart, Surprise to Queen Creek is 66 miles apart.
SLC CSA (~2.6 million) is made up of three distinct MSAs that are developing together because of the constraints of geography. I actually don't think SLC is as sprawl-y as Phoenix or even Denver.

I like that Portland project in Comrade's post. Something like that would look great in SLC. Fingers crossed for the updated Pantages proposal.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 10:55 PM

I'm glad PHX and Denver and Boise and PDX are all prospering as well as they are. Looking at the PHX proposals, nearly all of them are as boxy and wide as what we typically get in SLC. I'd love to see more curves, more spires, more...Chicago or Taiwan or Wakanda or something. All of those western cities ^^^ are boxes with a corner cut off here or there. When our slanted roof on Liberty Sky is super exciting? That's sad.

That said, I'm loving all these cranes going up. We haven't seen this since the City Creek boom.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 11:42 PM

*YIKES*

Roof of SLC Apartment Parking Garage Collapses
https://ksltv.com/438933/roof-of-slc...age-collapses/

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
*YIKES*

Roof of SLC Apartment Parking Garage Collapses
https://ksltv.com/438933/roof-of-slc...age-collapses/
Wow, that is a brand new building, can anyone say "value engineering"?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 1:52 AM
They all float down here

Yikes. Though of little surprise with how cheap a lot of these condos are.

The area I'd love to see the city focus on is 100 South between Main & West Temple. It's probably my least favorite area of the city.

The Marriott, which looks like a building out of 1980s Beirut, either needs to be radically reclad or, gasp, demolished. There's literally zero engagement from City Creek on this block, as it houses the southwest parking entrance/exit. Hell, at least the old Crossroads Plaza opened up into that street on the south-end of the mall. Now, there's only that very small sliver of stairs between the parking & the Marriott. But no actual retail.

Across the street is a parking lot and this monstrosity:

The only portions of this street that are redeemable happen to be located at the corner of each block - 100 South & Mail and 100 S & West Temple.

It's kind of sad that this is literally the street that people can see as they exit out of the Salt Palace's main entrance.

I really wish that planned high-rise residential tower would have been built there. i think that could've been a game changer.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 3:58 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Yikes. Though of little surprise with how cheap a lot of these condos are.

The area I'd love to see the city focus on is 100 South between Main & West Temple. It's probably my least favorite area of the city.

The Marriott, which looks like a building out of 1980s Beirut, either needs to be radically reclad or, gasp, demolished. There's literally zero engagement from City Creek on this block, as it houses the southwest parking entrance/exit. Hell, at least the old Crossroads Plaza opened up into that street on the south-end of the mall. Now, there's only that very small sliver of stairs between the parking & the Marriott. But no actual retail.

The only portions of this street that are redeemable happen to be located at the corner of each block - 100 South & Mail and 100 S & West Temple.

It's kind of sad that this is literally the street that people can see as they exit out of the Salt Palace's main entrance.

I really wish that planned high-rise residential tower would have been built there. i think that could've been a game changer.
I agree Comrade.

Remember, that $250k offer still stands when we get a 500 footer.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 4:37 AM
They all float down here

I don't know what this offer is...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 6:27 AM
Ironweed

Talking

Quote:
I don't know what this offer is...
I told you a while back that I would pay you $250k if you were to dress up in your best 'It' costume. Waist up, nothing below. Then run around on main street for five minutes! Only if SLC were to ever build a 500 footer.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
SLC CSA (~2.6 million) is made up of three distinct MSAs that are developing together because of the constraints of geography. I actually don't think SLC is as sprawl-y as Phoenix or even Denver.

I like that Portland project in Comrade's post. Something like that would look great in SLC. Fingers crossed for the updated Pantages proposal.
Of course they're distinct MSAs, that's very definition of a CSA- adjacent metropolitan and micropolitan areas with economic ties measured by commuting patterns. To be defined as a CSA that means a lot of people are commuting between Provo, Salt Lake and Ogden. Which is pretty sprawly as well.

Put SLC CSA to 5 million and then imagine where the boundaries would end, I'd guess it would be even more spread out than Phoenix due to all the geographic islands created by large mountains and lakes, where Phoenix is more seamless due to being a much larger valley.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 2:18 PM

That's a gem of a shot, love the old Salt Palace! I'm glad the coliseum site here in Phoenix lives on, there's something nostalgic about catching a show in an old school NBA building.

Quote:
But hey - at least the change in the skyline from the 1970s is dramatic enough:

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 4:38 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Put SLC CSA to 5 million and then imagine where the boundaries would end, I'd guess it would be even more spread out than Phoenix due to all the geographic islands created by large mountains and lakes, where Phoenix is more seamless due to being a much larger valley.
Nah, I don't think so. If SLC CSA hits 5 million, it will have the benefit of 21st century hindsight about sprawl and waste on top of good, existing public transit and superior geography. Demographic attitudes about density and urban living are changing and both Phoenix and SLC will benefit.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
This is just funny. You keep hinting about this block. I'm trying to think of who you remind me of. Maybe like the son of Fantastic Mr. Fox trying to prove that he's athletic.
How do you post a GIF?

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...z_aszZ02y5I0nM

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Phoenix Might have a lot going on, but they don’t have Wendell Block.
We have had more than a couple of trolls on this forum over the years since I have followed (since the first announcement of City Creek Mall being interior/ 2005?). Don’t be one of them. They are annoying. Put up and shut up.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
We have had more than a couple of trolls on this forum over the years since I have followed (since the first announcement of City Creek Mall being interior/ 2005?). Don’t be one of them. They are annoying. Put up and shut up.
Uggh.. Greenbro with his troll about some major company from Atlanta moving their headquarters to downtown SLC and building a 700 footer.

So lame.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Just something I won - for being an athlete...

(copy and paste the gif address, same as an image )

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 4:31 PM

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 4:43 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthbrown4 View Post
Looks to be the first of a few proposals that will fill the block. Some screenshots from the pdfs:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West