HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^Fairly certain that outside of the 311 operations centre and a small portion of one other floor the entire office building portion of CityPlace is occupied by MPI. Further, I would estimate about 33% of the "mall" is occupied by more public facing elements of the MPI operation. This means fewer members of the public accessing the more secured office floors. Additionally, owning the parking in the building gives them a place to stage their fleet vehicles.
The MPI fleet is not what is use to be when it was parked on the Mez level before being moved to the basement. This now allows more hourly parking stalls in the two levels of City Place which brings in more money.

It's been downsized and staff are now being paid expenses (at Govt MB rates) to use their own vehicles or in some cases to take a taxi or video conference with claimants from what I have heard.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 4:44 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

^^^

Maybe MPI could move to 191 Broadway (soon to be former Wawanesa) and either demolish and do a completely new build or just entrez nous (take up lease) there.

That leaves another question then. How many MPI employees at 333 St. Mary Ave. take transit, and of those, how many would be inconvenienced in such a move to Broadway @ Main by having to take an extra bus? And related to that, if 191 gets a new building, has a thorough spirit cleansing of the parking lot next door been done, given the 1976 fire at the former Fort Garry Court apartment (160 Main St.)? Three died and five went missing the night of the Feb 1, 1976 fire.

http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/sites/fortgarrycourt.shtml

Last edited by LilZebra; Dec 4, 2019 at 5:01 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 1:43 PM

^ One of the news articles mentioned that a bunch of MPI employees at Cityplace are being moved to a couple of MPI-owned buildings (claims centres?) in the suburbs that presumably have some excess space.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
^^^

Maybe MPI could move to 191 Broadway (soon to be former Wawanesa) and either demolish and do a completely new build or just entrez nous (take up lease) there.

That leaves another question then. How many MPI employees at 333 St. Mary Ave. take transit, and of those, how many would be inconvenienced in such a move to Broadway @ Main by having to take an extra bus? And related to that, if 191 gets a new building, has a thorough spirit cleansing of the parking lot next door been done, given the 1976 fire at the former Fort Garry Court apartment (160 Main St.)? Three died and five went missing the night of the Feb 1, 1976 fire.

http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/sites/fortgarrycourt.shtml
Sounds like a huge unnecessary waste of taxpayer money, I could think of much better uses for it.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 5:21 AM

Got a flyer in the mail for Good Life Fitness.

Bishop Grandin (Refinery District) is 'coming soon'
330 Main Street: Spring 2020
St Vital Centre: Fall 2020 - Still a lot of work to do in the former Sears location?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 7:33 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
Got a flyer in the mail for Good Life Fitness.

Bishop Grandin (Refinery District) is 'coming soon'
330 Main Street: Spring 2020
St Vital Centre: Fall 2020 - Still a lot of work to do in the former Sears location?
I'm amazed Goodlife is even able to expand. They've been shutting down locations out in Calgary, but the thing is, theres more disposable income out here for that sort of stuff. Barely anyone I know back home, even uses Goodlife. Or being able to afford it. That and the whole "refer a friend so we can harass the shit out of them until they join" policy.

I just feel, that there could be better uses of space and retail, than just cookie cutter gyms lol. But then again, retail apocalypse incoming... so sadly, its all that might ever fill the space, minus finding rare earths in Manitoba, crashed alien ships being auctioned off for trillions, or something else to drive up consumer spending in Winnipeg enough to warrant some less... generic, retail offerings.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 2:22 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
I'm amazed Goodlife is even able to expand. They've been shutting down locations out in Calgary, but the thing is, theres more disposable income out here for that sort of stuff. Barely anyone I know back home, even uses Goodlife. Or being able to afford it. That and the whole "refer a friend so we can harass the shit out of them until they join" policy.
Strange, I live in Winnipeg and go to Goodlife. A good portion of the staff where I work go to Goodlife. The Gym that I go to is always packed and will be moving to the new one on Bishop. All those people must not know how finances work because they can all afford it. Clearly Goodlife has no idea what they are doing opening $15-$20 million dollar facilities. I have never once been asked to even refer one person. I have never been sent any emails relating to this either.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 2:39 PM

armorand thinks everyone in Winnipeg is in the same boat as his friends...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 3:34 PM

Stitches Is Coming To Polo Park Taking Over Former Forever 21 Space

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
Stitches Is Coming To Polo Park Taking Over Former Forever 21 Space
I thought Stitches and Urban Planet were one and the same. Is the Urban Planet remaining open?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:25 PM

^^ Hopefully Stitches/Urban Planet is on a short term lease in the Forever 21 space as it is prime for something better but the mall really needs something short term down than end.

Sort of odd 2 of the 3 legs of Polo Park are suddenly anchorless. You have to wonder if longer term if it might find success as a mall without anchors...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:42 PM

Not too many retailers seem interested in taking those big spaces that have opened up in the last year or so. I doubt they're that appealing to big box stores because they're somewhat inconvenient to access... trekking out of HomeSense or whatever with your huge purchase to your car way out in the lot would be annoying.

Carving up the Forever 21 space might be the way to go.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:59 PM

We're so poor in Winnipeg we can't go to the gym. We're all doomed to an early death.

armorand trump: nobody goes there!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 5:20 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
armorand thinks everyone in Winnipeg is in the same boat as his friends...
This might come as a shocker, but I grew up poor & I have alot of poor friends back home, which would honestly rather spend it all on groceries and survival necessities, than a gym. They used to spend it on shows, but after Osborne Village went belly-up, it's been a gongshow for whats traditionally been their income streams...

Suffice to say, yeah there's rich people in Winnipeg - I know, because (for a majority of them) they've been shitting all over me and everyone else beneath them for decades, but it would be just nice, to invest some money into public, not-for-profit gyms and save the retail spaces for actual new investment. Which if the city and province would actually attempt to bring it in, might actually turn out some new retailers, employers and employment generated. Winnipeg is approaching 800,000 pretty fast... so wheres all of the supposed investment?! Considering the USD too, Winnipeg should be raking it in. Especially in terms of retail, with US retail looking for a quick buck. Why not encourage US retail to try Winnipeg as a test bed, or something, and fill those spaces with something other than over-glorified treadmills and Boxflexe's?!?!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Why not encourage US retail to try Winnipeg as a test bed, or something, and fill those spaces with something other than over-glorified treadmills and Boxflexe's?!?!
St. Vital Centre is what, like 95% retail (including restaurants)? I think there will still be plenty of retail even after GoodLife sets up shop in there

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 5:46 PM
jammon member

Interesting other development in terms of retail. This would definitely impact the reason(s) for why retailers struggle here. My sister was telling me that one of the reasons the outlet mall and Polo Park are having difficulties attracting new retailers is because of the theft. Her store had the highest theft rate in Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...cers-1.5392858

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 10:32 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
Interesting other development in terms of retail. This would definitely impact the reason(s) for why retailers struggle here. My sister was telling me that one of the reasons the outlet mall and Polo Park are having difficulties attracting new retailers is because of the theft. Her store had the highest theft rate in Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...cers-1.5392858
WPS was screaming rhe other day too, at the private sector to actually start hiring security guards too... they could hire 5-6 guards per hour, with what they're paying the off-duty cops. 5-6 extra people and 5-6 Doc Martens each, would make quite a better deterrent. Replace a few cops, and suddenly have two dozen extra security guards? I mean, why aren't Winnipeg retailers actually hiring security guards? I know tight profit margins and all... but quantity of security is a quality deterrent.

Well, that and an easy way to create a few hundred jobs. That too.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 11:06 PM

watch the video of the liquor store theft on Keewatin where the assault took last month, the video shows the guard running to the back room while the clerk gets hit. Security guards have no power other than their mouth and many of these scumbag piece of crap worthless animals will tell them to F off and keep walking out with the goods.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 11:12 PM

Munther at food fare is giving his employees baseball bats.A deterrant I guess. But could just escalate the problem even further.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 2:18 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
watch the video of the liquor store theft on Keewatin where the assault took last month, the video shows the guard running to the back room while the clerk gets hit. Security guards have no power other than their mouth and many of these scumbag piece of crap worthless animals will tell them to F off and keep walking out with the goods.
They should hire actual biker/ex-military/ripped security. Problem solved lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan