HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 7:14 PM

so superstore and walmart etc have to close at 6 pm on a sunday or holiday?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
so superstore and walmart etc have to close at 6 pm on a sunday or holiday?
Right. Some holidays I believe they can't open at all. Labour day for example.

But yes currently, Sunday and in general holidays are limited to 9 to 6 openings for that type of retail. Exceptions occur for small business under a certain number of employees.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 8:01 PM

It used to be no shopping. Then it was noon to 6pm.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 9:02 PM
BANNED

It's very interesting to see Canada trending for longer business trade hours for every single day of the week.

When living in Australia, I noticed quite the opposite. Banks are never open on the weekends. And outside of a few shopping centres in the city centres of Melbourne and Sydney, all major retail outlets close up shop at 530ish pm during the week (save for a Thursday or Friday each week where they stay open until 9pm), and between 3-4pm on weekends, and opening up between 11am and noon. Supermarket hours vary across the country, but I've seen them close up at 6pm on weekends in the heart of the larger cities.

It's far more restrictive out there, so Canada and yes even Winnipeg have it pretty easy IMO.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 9:05 PM
What could go wrong?

My joy is that the government doesn’t need to tell business when they can be open or not. The market can dictate the hours. If people don’t want to shop at 10 pm on Saturday nigh, then the business can decide to close. If they can’t find staff - there seems to be plenty of unemployed people, then I guess they can’t be open.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Last edited by Biff; Nov 25, 2019 at 3:00 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
It's very interesting to see Canada trending for longer business trade hours for every single day of the week.

When living in Australia, I noticed quite the opposite. Banks are never open on the weekends. And outside of a few shopping centres in the city centres of Melbourne and Sydney, all major retail outlets close up shop at 530ish pm during the week, and between 3-4pm on weekends, and opening up between 11am and noon. Supermarket hours vary across the country, but I've seen them close up at 6pm on weekends in the larger cities. It's far more restrictive out there, so Canada and yes even Winnipeg has it pretty easy IMO.
Good point. That was a surprise for me when I visited Australia last year. And somehow they're able to carry on.

If it were up to me I'd keep stores closed on Sundays and particularly on holidays, but either way is fine with me since I don't shop or work on those days anyway.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 9:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Good point. That was a surprise for me when I visited Australia last year. And somehow they're able to carry on.
It was a bit of a shock for me as well. I did grumble for the first little while, but then easily adapted after a short period of time. And I never heard a single Aussie gripe about short trading hours, ever. It just isn't an issue for them to shop on within those trading hours. And when I would mention our weekend shopping hours here in Winnipeg, the reaction was usually "wow, you guys are so lucky" or something to that effect.

I guess that is why I get a chuckle when I hear or read people complaining about "restrictive" shopping hours on the weekend in Manitoba. I just think to myself "you have no idea how easy you have it buddy".

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 10:18 PM

The restrictions are basically close from 12am Sunday to 9am and 6pm to 12am Monday. The rest is wide own for shopping. Not very restrictive. But ya, less government telling people what to do is always good.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 11:05 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The restrictions are basically close from 12am Sunday to 9am and 6pm to 12am Monday. The rest is wide own for shopping. Not very restrictive. But ya, less government telling people what to do is always good.
True, less government telling people what to do, is always good...

But Pallister basically going to the podium and shaming the poor, while doing virtually nothing to help their plight - or reigning in poverty with ACTUAL projects and initiatives - wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

Quick idea: so if he actually decided to help the poor, and the unemployed, and maybe systematically dismantle the tens of thousands on welfare in Manitoba... by lets say... initiating a youth wage below minimal wage, or actually an even BETTER idea:

Bring. Back. Bottle. Depots.

Benefits:
- clean Winnipeg streets
- a way to generate income for entrepreneurs, and taxes for the land, business, etc
- an easy few hundred jobs
- "carbon neutral", saving the earth crap
- giving people something to do, to earn money legally
- less crime
- more physical work
- kids will have something to do, by picking up cans and bottles, not lifting them from the LC's... and earning money the *legal* way?

And thats not even going into electronics recycling, precious metals recycling or anything else either... NO GOVERNMENT OWNED BOTTLE DEPOTS EITHER. All private, job generation for the poor and the young. It would also help clean up Winnipeg, and maybe with a youth minimal wage - completely rid Winnipeg of the machete robberies, LC looting and everything else thats making Winnipeg and Manitoba a laughing stock, by giving them actual jobs, earning clean money and maybe enough experience to get up the ladder & actually do something productive...?

I'll let the SSP wolves rant and bitch about this one - but honestly, is it really that outrageous to bring back bottle depots, provide jobs for youth, and give people a reason to actually go out & work? Because theoretically too, the MB government could actually pull this off & win across the board - if Premier Ham-Hands would actually take some initiative.

As for retail - good to hear, but considering recent Winnipeg developments as a whole, will it be worth it to open late? Or possibly on holidays? For example, FoodFare could open anytime, but the massive security investments they must be taking these days... would it be worth it? Because on those 1-2% profit margins or whatever, and the pirate/raider/looter mentality against retail in Winnipeg lately... would it be worth it to open on a holiday, and pay everyone 1.5x/2x pay, against such a situation? Or would it be better off to just close? Or in the case of small grocery stores - start hiring bouncers, bikers and ex-military to man the tills & walk the aisles, to prevent thefts and any further losses of product, which may be driving any business and further investment into Winnipeg?

Long story short: the government needs to actually figure something out soon, because at this rate, things aren't exactly looking very good. I spent last night having to scroll through fb, seeing everyone mocking Winnipeg, and more disturbingly - people cheering the cops for emptying clips. We've all gotta admit, something actually HAS to change. As in, actual physical change, not just sitting around & waiting to see what happens when people twiddle their thumbs long enough...

Calgary isn't exactly paradise on earth, as Pinus and others keep slamming out on their keyboards, but even with the problems there is out West - I've yet to see massive looting of the liquor stores, and third world melee fighting in the middle of Downtown, or anything. Granted retail and restaurants and bars are being taxed to death out here... but its actually possible to go out to a diner at 3am, or go to friends birthdays at the bar, without shootings or WPS reeling in literal military equipment to keep the peace.

I mean - people DO realize how bad this is getting, right?!?!?! Something needs to be done about it.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 11:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
True, less government telling people what to do, is always good...

But Pallister basically going to the podium and shaming the poor, while doing virtually nothing to help their plight - or reigning in poverty with ACTUAL projects and initiatives - wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

Quick idea: so if he actually decided to help the poor, and the unemployed, and maybe systematically dismantle the tens of thousands on welfare in Manitoba... by lets say... initiating a youth wage below minimal wage, or actually an even BETTER idea:

Bring. Back. Bottle. Depots.

Benefits:
- clean Winnipeg streets
- a way to generate income for entrepreneurs, and taxes for the land, business, etc
- an easy few hundred jobs
- "carbon neutral", saving the earth crap
- giving people something to do, to earn money legally
- less crime
- more physical work
- kids will have something to do, by picking up cans and bottles, not lifting them from the LC's... and earning money the *legal* way?

And thats not even going into electronics recycling, precious metals recycling or anything else either... NO GOVERNMENT OWNED BOTTLE DEPOTS EITHER. All private, job generation for the poor and the young. It would also help clean up Winnipeg, and maybe with a youth minimal wage - completely rid Winnipeg of the machete robberies, LC looting and everything else thats making Winnipeg and Manitoba a laughing stock, by giving them actual jobs, earning clean money and maybe enough experience to get up the ladder & actually do something productive...?

I'll let the SSP wolves rant and bitch about this one - but honestly, is it really that outrageous to bring back bottle depots, provide jobs for youth, and give people a reason to actually go out & work? Because theoretically too, the MB government could actually pull this off & win across the board - if Premier Ham-Hands would actually take some initiative.

As for retail - good to hear, but considering recent Winnipeg developments as a whole, will it be worth it to open late? Or possibly on holidays? For example, FoodFare could open anytime, but the massive security investments they must be taking these days... would it be worth it? Because on those 1-2% profit margins or whatever, and the pirate/raider/looter mentality against retail in Winnipeg lately... would it be worth it to open on a holiday, and pay everyone 1.5x/2x pay, against such a situation? Or would it be better off to just close? Or in the case of small grocery stores - start hiring bouncers, bikers and ex-military to man the tills & walk the aisles, to prevent thefts and any further losses of product, which may be driving any business and further investment into Winnipeg?

Long story short: the government needs to actually figure something out soon, because at this rate, things aren't exactly looking very good. I spent last night having to scroll through fb, seeing everyone mocking Winnipeg, and more disturbingly - people cheering the cops for emptying clips. We've all gotta admit, something actually HAS to change. As in, actual physical change, not just sitting around & waiting to see what happens when people twiddle their thumbs long enough...

Calgary isn't exactly paradise on earth, as Pinus and others keep slamming out on their keyboards, but even with the problems there is out West - I've yet to see massive looting of the liquor stores, and third world melee fighting in the middle of Downtown, or anything. Granted retail and restaurants and bars are being taxed to death out here... but its actually possible to go out to a diner at 3am, or go to friends birthdays at the bar, without shootings or WPS reeling in literal military equipment to keep the peace.

I mean - people DO realize how bad this is getting, right?!?!?! Something needs to be done about it.
You have moved. You are gone. You said you no longer have any intention of coming back. So then why do you keep posting here? You no longer have any dog in this fight, so why do you care?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
How about BOOT CAMP for the thugs? Straighten them out with answering to an authoritative person and forced to give respect.
Boot Camps don't work. Study after study has shown the rates of recidivism among delinquents who are forced to attend these boot camps are just as high as those who do not. Still this does not stop the Brodbecks of the world from advocating for them....no doubt they get half chubs seeing video footage of kids being screamed by camp supervisors while they do push ups or some other physical activity that will no doubt exhaust the delinquency right out of them! That'll teach 'em!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 6:57 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Interesting... so it looks like the UK has a bit of an issue with this too.

Could there be something in the music or other entertainment that is encouraging today's youth to steal liquor and other stuff?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 1:38 PM

Bottle depots, boot camps, popular entertainment causal relations, sure are a lot of ridiculous hypotheses on this page.....

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Could there be something in the music or other entertainment that is encouraging today's youth to steal liquor and other stuff?
No it’s social media and the easy access to selling goods over the Internet, Lots of the liquor has ended up on Facebook marketplace for sale.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 4:32 PM

Bottle depots are a good idea. Charge a 25 cent deposit for every glass and plastic bottle – then people will actually be motivated to return them. And the ones that get littered or left around – homeless people would return them. They do this all over Europe and it works brilliantly.

The 5 cent deposit has been the same since the day it was introduced, never raised for inflation. That, my friends, is stupid. Especially when the cost of recycling them has gone with inflation, or more.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 5:47 PM

It's not that I think that bottle depots are bad. I just would suggest that the social effects were greatly exaggerated in the post above. The idea that they could cure a great deal of social ills is kind of silly.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 6:25 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars65 View Post
It's not that I think that bottle depots are bad. I just would suggest that the social effects were greatly exaggerated in the post above. The idea that they could cure a great deal of social ills is kind of silly.
You're right in that it doesn't cure social ills wholesale. Often the circumstances that give rise to people taking up bottle collection aren't strictly homelessness either. When I was living in Germany, most often it was pensioners trying to supplement their grossly inadequate state pensions who would be engaged in deposit collecting. So you gotta wonder who would be benefitting the most.

In fact, I'd be very surprised if there were much benefit at all here considering that the whole reason it is even remotely profitable in Germany and other European countries is that theres actually a good deal of drinking that happens on the streets. People leave their empties by garbage cans and recycling bins instead of throwing them out so collectors dont have to dig through the trash to get them. Without the widespread public consumption of alcohol here though, I honestly don't see it being much of a benefit to anyone. Unless of course we decided to adopt a more liberal approach to alcohol
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 6:09 PM

In Germany and many European countries ALL drink containers have a high (25 cent+) deposit, not just alcohol.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
This has been going on for more than a year and nothing has been done to take preventative measures, now someone’s hurt, the higher ups at the MLCC are 100% responsible for this mess.

This also goes beyond just riff raff, these incidents are occurring everywhere, it’s youths, across all demographics. It’s become a dare to get free booze for Saturday’s party, or to sell at school for other things, it’s easier to steal liquor than it is designer clothes, or electronics. And they will get more money,

Everything happening here can be stocked up to low wages and high sin taxes on everything fun. $18 for a pack of cigarettes, $50 for 24 beer, $40 for an 1/8 of cannabis. imagine being in school, working part time let’s say 12 hours a week and you are seeing your entire pay check going to a phone Bill, what do you do for fun? Mom and dad can’t keep handing our $20 everytime their kid wants to go out. it’s not right, it’s fucking criminal what we have done to our youth.
Kids shouldn’t be smoking or drinking for fun anyway.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 8:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
In Germany and many European countries ALL drink containers have a high (25 cent+) deposit, not just alcohol.
As it should be here, at least in Canada in Quebec it’s 20 cents!

Way too many beer cans and bottles strewn all over tho province, a higher deposit might offer some incentive for some to clean up!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan