HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 3:18 PM

Winnipeg needs to take a note from Brandon (and pretty much any other place on earth) and make street signs that actually look nice and reflect the character of an area, not Dollarama.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Winnipeg needs to take a note from Brandon (and pretty much any other place on earth) and make street signs that actually look nice and reflect the character of an area, not Dollarama.
Now THIS is fine tuning one's self-loathing.....even the street signs cause me shame!!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 3:39 PM

It's true though, areas that used to have nice decorative street signs and lights are slowly being replaced by the cheapest, most utilitarian crap there is. I have no problems in ordinary residential neighbourhoods, suburbs, side streets – but our "showcase" areas and streets like Academy, Osborne, Exchange, Main, Portage, Graham, Selkirk (holding hope), etc. deserve much better than unpainted modular steel lights and the most basic signage known to man.

The "Honorary" street signs are downright offensive – where the hell did they dig that horrific font up from?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 11:44 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I agree with this provided it's not too steep to do every street sign in the city. I think every street sign should have some sort of flair. Yeah, it's a really minor thing but I actually do find that it adds something, strange though that may seem.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 6:13 AM

First confirmed Tesla supercharger under construction in Saskatchewan is located in Moose Jaw!

https://youtu.be/u3tpv9wQhPo

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 9:37 AM
BANNED

Bravo Pallister, you fucking tool.

It's issues like this that make me hate the Tories.

https://www.wildernesscommittee.org/...rian-pallister

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 12:55 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post

Lol dude that "article" just says a bunch of nothing essentially. I'm not a huge fan of how the Tories govern either but this obviously contains a lot of political animus
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 1:59 PM

That news released is obviously biased, but I have to agree I don't quite understand (and didn't know) why we would be allowing logging and mining in parks. It's not like we're short on space in this province.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 2:16 PM

^Thats a press release from the Wilderness Committee and for sure I agree that we shouldn’t allow resource extraction in Provincial parks, but this is nothing new, it’s been happening for years under previous governments too. I don’t understand why we bother calling them parks. We should just call them timber reserves if they’re going to allow logging and mining. This is why the province isn’t very supportive of establishing new national parks because those are truly protected areas.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post

Right, because the speNDP didn't such a bang up job managing (sarcasm) this province for 17 years!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 2:53 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Right, because the speNDP didn't such a bang up job managing (sarcasm) this province for 17 years!
As somebody who absolutely hates the NDP with a burning passion, I have to say that they really didn't do a bad job this last time around. No worse than anybody else, anyway.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
As somebody who absolutely hates the NDP with a burning passion, I have to say that they really didn't do a bad job this last time around. No worse than anybody else, anyway.
Except for the route of hydro to the south. 2+ billion dollar mistake.

Having said that. I would never vote for Pallister.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 4:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
So the provincial debt is just a big number right, nothing to see here huh?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 12:29 PM
Back from the dead

Well, that's the reason I'd never vote for them. However, as I said, I'm not so sure anybody else would have done much better. Maybe they just go lucky but Doer was popular for a reason. Don't forget that they also spent a pretty big chunk of change on the Floodway expansion and they actually started putting some money back into transportation infrastructure. Also, while you may not want to give them credit, the province definitely turned a corner under their reign. People were leaving in droves and now we're often above average in population growth. Yeah, I don't like to give governments much credit for how attractive they make a place to people but even you'd have to admit that things certainly didn't get worse. If we measured quality of life in terms of provincial deficits, you'd have a tough time explaining how %90 of the country has people moving in instead of out.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 5:16 PM

Why does everyone keep saying 17 years? The first 12 years or so when Doer was running things our province was doing well. Stop tying what Sellinger did to the rest of the NDPs tenure in power. After all had the NDP not been doing a good job they wouldn’t have been in power that long!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
Why does everyone keep saying 17 years? The first 12 years or so when Doer was running things our province was doing well. Stop tying what Sellinger did to the rest of the NDPs tenure in power. After all had the NDP not been doing a good job they wouldn’t have been in power that long!
Please!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 5:43 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
No, that's not why they were in power for that long.

There was no credible alternative for most of that time. Secondly, Doer was a good leader. That doesn't mean the party was good for the province.

That said, the province did do better under the last incarnation of the NDP but it wasn't really because of anything they did, I don't think. The only thing I think they did right was the PNP. Otherwise, they were (as always) horrible with money. The last time they were in power prior to Doer they drove us into the ground economically. Filmon lasted as long as he did because the NDP left us with such a disaster that people were unwilling to vote for them for over a decade. Frankly, between the two of them, I'd prefer we voted a polar bear into office. At least we'd know exactly what it wanted to do (eat us) and wouldn't just hand our money out to people before they even bothered to ask. It also wouldn't force us to take unpaid days off.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 7:39 PM

Sad state of affairs when an insurance salesmen is the premier. Douche or turd sandwich. Pick one. Politics in general is severely lacking good people.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 8:19 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Sad state of affairs when an insurance salesmen is the premier. Douche or turd sandwich. Pick one. Politics in general is severely lacking good people.
True, but I don't think that your previous career really has anything to do with your competence to be premier. A garbage collector could be premier and could do a tremendous job. Though I agree that politics is in a sad state of affairs, I don't believe that the reason for that has anything to do with the premier being an insurance salesman or broker etc.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
A garbage collector could be premier and could do a tremendous job.
By this logic, a former gansta rapper could also be an excellent premier.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan