HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 2:10 AM

Glasgow University

Glasgow University has recently been voted the Best Scottish University 2007-08, has the Best Campus in Scotland, and is the second most environmentally friendly institution in Europe.
As this confirms its status as the best university in Scotland, (I'm a bit biased as a student here), here's a photo tour of the university and its wonderful surroundings of the West End - courtesy of Flickr users.

University Tower, one of the most recognisable icons on the Glasgow skyline. Interestingly, the building it is part of has no official name, and so it is commonly referred to as the Gilbert Scott Building, after its architect (or the Main Building, which is a bit boring really).

(thanks to Rob Lightbody)

The Gilbert Scott Building, as mentioned above, from the University Library Tower

(thanks to Craiging619)

The Cloisters in the Gilbert Scott Building.

(thanks to Frasnyi Fotoapparat)

One of my favourite parts of the university, the Hunterian Museum. It's free and a very interesting place.

(thanks to edowds)

The University Library, one of the top academic libraries in Europe, has over 2 million books, and covers 12 floors. Just in front of the main building, in the smaller green-roofed building, is the Wolfson Gallery. In the background are some of the seemingly endless number of tenement blocks in Glasgow, and beyond the Campsie Fells.

(thanks to jan)

The peculiar Mackintosh House, part of the Wolfson Gallery complex, is a perfect replica of the house in which Charles Rennie Mackintosh lived. Oh, and if you're wondering, the door is for decoration - it's starts 5 foot above the ground!

(thanks to EllieLaBelle)

The Boyd Orr Building, which has built up bit of a cult following as the 'building of the future'. It's ugly and made of concrete. It's main entrance foyer has been rebuilt 7 times since it opened in the 70's because the shape/design of the building used to create a wind in the entrance that would either suck you out, or if you were wearing a skirt, 'expose you', if you know what I mean.

(thanks to subflux)

The Wolfson Medical Building cost £7.5 million, and it's glass-fronted atrium has won numerous design awards. I've never been inside (med students ONLY), but I'm told it's rather nice.

(thanks to korin)

And at night

(thanks to SFTC)

The Reading Room, a circular reference-library type building.

(thanks to mypanda)

Department of Computing Science, a new building on campus, with the Queen Margaret Union (QMU) to its right. Plus of course the terraced housing of Lilybank Gardens to the left. Out of picture to the right is a whole street of terraced housing owned by the university, and housing various departments, including English Literature and Language, and History.

(thanks to stephen strowes)

Bute Hall, where graduation ceremonies and other large formal events are held.

(thanks to grrrrrrr)

And to finish off, some pictures of Kelvingrove Park, which sits in front of the Gilbert Scott Building. It is a beautiful place during those sunny summer days, and it becomes a popular hang out for students in spring and summer - but it is advisable to stay away at night, when the druggies, prostitutes and generally shady characters inhabit the park.

(not from wikipedia)

Lord Kelvin's statue

(not from wikipedia)

And to finish, the world famous Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.

(thanks to Frasnyi Fotoapparat)

Old Posted Dec 16, 2007, 4:27 PM
Raindog

Thanks!

There are some cracking photo opportunities available inside Kelvingrove - that floating heads display is a hoot!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2007, 6:59 PM
Red October standing by

i'm jealous, i wish i was a student there.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 1:05 PM

this is the city where the men have a life expectancy of about 60 right?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 10:51 AM

Nice tour, some really interesting architecture there.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxam80 View Post
this is the city where the men have a life expectancy of about 60 right?
haha, yeah, it used to be pretty low considering it's the third/fourth largest city in the world's fifth biggest economy.
That was mainly due to the industrial nature of the area. The River Clyde used to be the heart of shipbuilding in the world, and there was lots of dirty, pollutant manufacturing happening.
Of course, that's pretty much all gone now, Glasgow is a very trendy city (The effects of being 1990 European Capital of Culture and 1999 UK Capital of Architecture still haven't quite worn off), and I would guess the life expectancy has jumped up considerably towards the UK average.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 3:16 AM
Editor

Nice pictures.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos