HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:45 PM

Ya that's why I was posting. You can see all the houses in the right of way. My friend lives in one. I give him a hard time about squatting in the right of way lol

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 2:25 PM

This will be a very unpopular opinion here, but I'm happy the Tall Grass Prairie (TGP) reserve in Transcona came to be. I did a lot of studying of grass and forbe species in there for my Envi Sci degree and it is a very healthy intact piece of TGP indeed. So little of this remains in Manitoba because it's all been plowed over, less than 1% of our TGP is still in existence. I always enjoy the colourful native flowers that bloom. Blazing Star and Three-Flowered Avens are my favourites.

Sorry guys, but in this instance I'm of the opinion that stopping this area from being destroyed was well worth the outcome regarding the environmental wellbeing of our city

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
This will be a very unpopular opinion here, but I'm happy the Tall Grass Prairie (TGP) reserve in Transcona came to be. I did a lot of studying of grass and forbe species in there for my Envi Sci degree and it is a very healthy intact piece of TGP indeed. So little of this remains in Manitoba because it's all been plowed over, less than 1% of our TGP is still in existence. I always enjoy the colourful native flowers that bloom. Blazing Star and Three-Flowered Avens are my favourites.

Sorry guys, but in this instance I'm of the opinion that stopping this area from being destroyed was well worth the outcome regarding the environmental wellbeing of our city
Not to mention all the ticks and lyme disease that we would otherwise miss out on without the TGP.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 2:52 PM

Also, I don't know why they didn't do TGP along the Bus RT line west of Pembina. The savings in mowing would be significantish.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Not to mention all the ticks and lyme disease that we would otherwise miss out on without the TGP.
I get that not everyone appreciates what we have for our natural spaces or cares if we completely wipe them out of existence, like we almost have in this case (regarding the TGP ecosystem as a whole within Manitoba).

Thankfully there are enough people that do care

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 3:05 PM

Quote:

100% I'll take a living museum showing what once was over a Beltway we can't afford that'll shave 38 seconds off a commute.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Here's a fun fact, deforestation and destruction of established woodland and established grassland are driving in part the proliferation of Lyme disease. Deer ticks love recently disturbed habitat along the fringes since there are no predators (frogs, rodents, birds, other arachnids) anymore and they have ample ambush spots. Destruction of the TGP would just proliferate deer ticks into your yard and in the fringes of your trees/flowerbeds.

This kind of first order thinking is what has devastated parts of the Earth ecologically, and the kind of thinking we need to move past.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Here's a fun fact, deforestation and destruction of established woodland and established grassland are driving in part the proliferation of Lyme disease. Deer ticks love recently disturbed habitat along the fringes since there are no predators (frogs, rodents, birds, other arachnids) anymore and they have ample ambush spots. Destruction of the TGP would just proliferate deer ticks into your yard and in the fringes of your trees/flowerbeds.

This kind of first order thinking is what has devastated parts of the Earth ecologically, and the kind of thinking we need to move past.
I think some people on here might have a little PTSD after dealing with rrskylar for so many years that they can't appreciate a tongue and cheek comment for what it is. As you can see from my second comment I advocate for TGP along the Blue line.

I appreciate TGP enough that I bought a house in Winnipeg that back on to it.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 3:44 PM

Quote:
I think some people on here might have a little PTSD after dealing with rrskylar for so many years that they can't appreciate a tongue and cheek comment for what it is. As you can see from my second comment I advocate for TGP along the Blue line.

I appreciate TGP enough that I bought a house in Winnipeg that back on to it.
I'm sorry haha. You got me.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 2:39 AM

Quote:

I agree too. Not only do roads destroy the ecosystem, but more roads don't help much, but seperate neighbourhoods. And if Ed Schreyer Parkway would be built nesr Plessis, I think that's close enough and far enough from Lag. We don't need all that noise in our neighbourhoods

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Also, I don't know why they didn't do TGP along the Bus RT line west of Pembina. The savings in mowing would be significantish.
They did. The only parts mowed are immediately beside roadways and at stations.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboy15 View Post
I agree too. Not only do roads destroy the ecosystem, but more roads don't help much, but seperate neighbourhoods. And if Ed Schreyer Parkway would be built nesr Plessis, I think that's close enough and far enough from Lag. We don't need all that noise in our neighbourhoods
I fail to understand why the City took the action of preserving the Tall Grass prairie, yet is going to build another bridge over the Seine River, in such close proximity to the one built in 2005. Was it really necessary to build Shorehill Drive over the Seine River, when it was obvious that a bridge would be constructed 500 metres away for Warde Ave?

The encroachment of the Seine River is even worse. The City needs to be consistent.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
I fail to understand why the City took the action of preserving the Tall Grass prairie, yet is going to build another bridge over the Seine River, in such close proximity to the one built in 2005. Was it really necessary to build Shorehill Drive over the Seine River, when it was obvious that a bridge would be constructed 500 metres away for Warde Ave?

The encroachment of the Seine River is even worse. The City needs to be consistent.
100% agree. It literally is the dumbest spot. They are rebuilding Creek Bend Bridge They just built the new one beside the perimeter. Then you have Warde which was never supposed to be allowed in the first place. And now lets ram anotner bridge through some prestine wetland area.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 5:10 AM

Yeah, destruction of wetlands is something that we as a society should be well past by now. Generally there are regulations where if you do drain and fill/disturb a wetland, there are requirements to create a wetland in another similar location so that there is a net balance at the end.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Yeah, destruction of wetlands is something that we as a society should be well past by now. Generally there are regulations where if you do drain and fill/disturb a wetland, there are requirements to create a wetland in another similar location so that there is a net balance at the end.
That's the issue with urban sprawl. It's a big problem now in Ontario with Hwy 413 being built. I mean, you can't build anything without interdering with somethihg, but there are places tht should be built on and some that should be left alone

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
100% agree. It literally is the dumbest spot. They are rebuilding Creek Bend Bridge They just built the new one beside the perimeter. Then you have Warde which was never supposed to be allowed in the first place. And now lets ram anotner bridge through some prestine wetland area.
I disagree about the Perimeter service road bridge being an oversight, I mean it was bound to happen and the river near the Perimeter was never prime habitat anyways. It's also part of the solution to close those 4 roads that accessed Perimeter by the rail line (as are the upgrades to Creek Bend bridge).

I do think there should have only been one vehicular bridge crossing the Seine between Perimeter and Abinojii Mikanah. Shorehill seems more logical being more centered between the two routes, but a clear lack of planning means Shorehill only really serves Royalwood, so now another bridge is needed for Warde as the E/W route in the SE quadrant of the city. It will offload traffic from Perimeter and AM, but at the expense of cutting through what should be protected green space.

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
I do think there should have only been one vehicular bridge crossing the Seine between Perimeter and Abinojii Mikanah. Shorehill seems more logical being more centered between the two routes, but a clear lack of planning means Shorehill only really serves Royalwood, so now another bridge is needed for Warde as the E/W route in the SE quadrant of the city. It will offload traffic from Perimeter and AM, but at the expense of cutting through what should be protected green space.
The sad thing is that the city had planned to extend Warde Avenue to Lagimodiere 20+ years ago, and still did not have the sense to just connect Shorehill to Warde, instead of building a bridge across the Seine, and unnecessarily disrupt the wildlife and wetlands.

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
The sad thing is that the city had planned to extend Warde Avenue to Lagimodiere 20+ years ago, and still did not have the sense to just connect Shorehill to Warde, instead of building a bridge across the Seine, and unnecessarily disrupt the wildlife and wetlands.
I thought but could be wrong that when that was proposed CP did not want to have another crossing on the Emerson Subdivision.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 8:25 AM

https://imgur.com/a/2x1gKHp

How the Inner Ring Road should work (my version follows more of the original plan).

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I thought but could be wrong that when that was proposed CP did not want to have another crossing on the Emerson Subdivision.
Not up to speed on what did happen. But there is land on Warde for a grade sep at CPKC. That would be silly to do though. Grade separate Abinoji MIkanah, and maybe negotiate with CPKC to do Warde at grade. The railways will do that. No net gain in crossings. Maybe put up some fencing to help with trespassing and they'll let you go ahead.

Also, maybe a mod could move our convo to the Winnipeg Roads thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan