HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
My 1st thought is that looks like terrible acoustics though. Not that things like the ballet are as reliant on good acoustics as is the orchestra.
The article kinda mentions that...

Quote:
Inside the 3,000-seat auditorium itself, which is also clad with natural wood (which is conducive to optimal acoustics)
I have no doubt Bora, who have designed several civic auditoriums, would take acoustics into consideration. https://bora.co/type/arts-culture/

Last edited by MarkDaMan; May 15, 2024 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Added link to Bora's Arts/Culture developments.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
The article kinda mentions that...

I have no doubt Bora, who have designed several civic auditoriums, would take acoustics into consideration. https://bora.co/type/arts-culture/
Sorry, just meant it's looks pretty with lots of side mezzanines, and I "think" usually it's much easier for better acoustics throughout when it's a more simplistic design, with less obstructions that cause weird effects to the sound waves. Not that it can't be designed around.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Arts expert counsels Keller Auditorium competitors to make their ideas shine

Greg Phillips knows a thing or three about proposals coming before City Council this month to renovate or replace Keller Auditorium, and how to make the ideas sing.

Phillips is the former executive director of Portland Center Stage and a driving force behind the Armory performance venue renovation in the Pearl District, from which Portland Center Stage has operated since 2006. Since the start of this year, he’s been contracted by the city to help three applicants workshop their Keller plans, slated to come before commissioners on May 29 for a public debut and council questions. That won't be the final word: a formal decision on the winner is likely later in the year.

The debate comes as the city decides whether to replace or upgrade the seismically vulnerable Keller Auditorium. Three competing proposals have emerged.

Phillips walked with a Business Journal reporter to Keller Fountain Park, across from the contested auditorium, to discuss what he’s gleaned in the past few months of conversations.

One competitor, Urban Renaissance Group, is largely staying mum until its big reveal: When asked about that group's plans to place a venue in the Lloyd District, Phillips pulled out his phone and read a prepared statement: “They have developed a terrific potential concept that could be a welcoming center for all of their Eastside neighbors, but they are choosing to keep the details of their concept confidential until they present to City Council.”

On the other proposals, including Portland State University's suggestion to replace the venue and the Halprin Landscape Conservancy's to renovate it, Phillips was much more candid. This conversation has been edited for brevity and clarity.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal ($).

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
So I'm a bit confused. Is the URG master plan vague enough that they have a site in there they could pull out of a hat and propose a cool new performing arts venue, in addition to the in-process music venue? The master plan AND music venue are currently going through permitting, correct? I just assumed quiet meant, "not serious".

Are we (me...) maybe discounting they might wow us with a legit contender/cool proposal to connect both venues? It's not really downtown, but to that end, that's my issue with PSU too (although that is "more" contiguous to downtown).

Having a proposal with a cool music venue, performing arts center, close to hotels, tri met (2 more train lines than are adjacent to PSU...no one will be making train connections for the ballet), a nice park, maybe there is something to be said for this location....connect it to Moda as an arts/sports hub.

With their new proposed green spaces, and ability to front Holladay Park, I could see a pretty neat set up.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 3:51 PM

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 4:21 PM

The Lloyd Center plan looks wacky

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx View Post
The Lloyd Center plan looks wacky
I think it looks significantly more interesting than the PSU concept. PSU looks like a bland boring box on the outside in comparison. Lloyd looks like an architectural centerpiece, PSU looks like a performing arts center on a public university campus…which I guess it is.

I would like to see more interior of the Lloyd concept and more exterior of the PSU before I rush to judgement though.

I’m really starting get behind Lloyd as a location. With that other concert hall planned there, a centerpiece of cultural neighborhood, connecting to Holladay park, providing for outside uses, direct connection to so much transit, the greenway. Hopefully surrounded by new mixed-use and residential. It’s really growing on me.

Add in a hope for improving the Broadway/Weidler corridor (see link below), and connecting to new Albina area, there is so much potential to fix this entire area…and its all reasonably achievable.

https://bikeportland.org/2024/05/21/...updates-386519

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 6:47 PM

Quote:
I think it looks significantly more interesting than the PSU concept. PSU looks like a bland boring box on the outside in comparison. Lloyd looks like an architectural centerpiece, PSU looks like a performing arts center on a public university campus…which I guess it is.

I would like to see more interior of the Lloyd concept and more exterior of the PSU before I rush to judgement though.

I’m really starting get behind Lloyd as a location. With that other concert hall planned there, a centerpiece of cultural neighborhood, connecting to Holladay park, providing for outside uses, direct connection to so much transit, the greenway. Hopefully surrounded by new mixed-use and residential. It’s really growing on me.

Add in a hope for improving the Broadway/Weidler corridor (see link below), and connecting to new Albina area, there is so much potential to fix this entire area…and its all reasonably achievable.

https://bikeportland.org/2024/05/21/...updates-386519
Disagree. I don't even see a comparison as far as project development. The location of the Keller and PSU are in the core - close to other cultural amenities, FW access, transit options, restaurants, and accommodations. Plus, the addition of serving PSU as an academic resource.

The Lloyd Center plan is whimsical at best but not even close to being a realized proposal.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Disagree. I don't even see a comparison as far as project development. The location of the Keller and PSU are in the core - close to other cultural amenities, FW access, transit options, restaurants, and accommodations. Plus, the addition of serving PSU as an academic resource.

The Lloyd Center plan is whimsical at best but not even close to being a realized proposal.
Keller is in the core (still my preference), PSU is in the ass end flank of the core butted up against a major highway. I’ve spent a lot of time in the blocks immediately adjacent this location the last few months, pretty meh.

And just aesthetics alone looks pretty lame from the exterior.

Is this a best value trade off thing? Is cost a consideration?

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Keller is in the core (still my preference), PSU is in the ass end flank of the core butted up against a major highway. I’ve spent a lot of time in the blocks immediately adjacent this location the last few months, pretty meh.

And just aesthetics alone looks pretty lame from the exterior.

Is this a best value trade off thing? Is cost a consideration?
The area around the Keller is also pretty dead. It's not exactly vibrant.

Regarding the PSU design - this is a proposal, not a final design. Bora is an excellent firm with a lot of experience in cultural venues.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 2:21 PM

Quote:
The area around the Keller is also pretty dead. It's not exactly vibrant.

Regarding the PSU design - this is a proposal, not a final design. Bora is an excellent firm with a lot of experience in cultural venues.
I think Bora is good, same as ZGF/Arup. At least both teams hired good and competent firms.

That is true about Keller and vibrancy. But it SHOULD be more vibrant, given its central location. I posted this winter about taking my family to show there, and having a real hard time finding a place for dinner close by. We ended up eating driving and parking in SE (Grand Fir brewing - excellent place), and then driving over to the Keller. And sadly, one of the closest establishments to Keller that we briefly considered has now closed - Mccormick and Schmicks. And it's not even that close. There isn't much else.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 6:06 PM

study-predicts-dire-consequence-for-closing-keller-auditorium

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 7:29 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Paywall. What's the gist of it?

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 8:02 PM

Partial copy

The day before the City Council begins considering the future of the Keller Auditorium, a new report predicts significant economic harm for the region and local nonprofit arts organizations if it is closed for 24 months to be remodeled. The other two options would keep the Keller open while replacement performing arts centers are built in other parts of Portland.

The council will consider the three proposals on Wednesday, May 29. The Portland Tribune obtained the report on Tuesday.

The study was commissioned by Metro, the regional elected government that operates visitor facilities in the Portland area. It was conducted by Crossroads Consulting. During the first year of the closure, the study estimated potential lost economic contributions to the region including $46.8 million in output, 320 jobs, $20.5 million in labor income, and local and state tax revenues totaling $2.5 million. During the second year, the study estimated potential lost economic contributions including $49.5 million in output, 336 jobs, $21.8 million in labor income, and local and state tax revenues totaling $2.6 million.

The study also predicted adverse impacts to the Keller’s resident companies, including the Oregon Ballet Theater, Portland Opera, and especially Broadway Across America, the popular touring Broadway shows that must be scheduled years in advance.

“In recent communication between the City and Broadway Across America, Broadway Across America expressed concerns regarding the potential temporary closure of Keller Auditorium. According to representatives of the organization, there is fear that a temporary closure would have negative impacts longer than just the construction period. More than 70% of a performance audience is typically a season (or subscription) ticket holder, and these patrons are likely to leave for other entertainment/experiences in markets outside of Portland during the closure,” said the study.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 9:06 PM

Quote:
The day before the City Council begins considering the future of the Keller Auditorium, a new report predicts significant economic harm for the region and local nonprofit arts organizations if it is closed for 24 months to be remodeled.
I simply can't understand the advocacy for retaining the current theater. Yes, it is a phenomenal location but renovating it is going to be much more expensive than just the construction costs, as noted in the above.

The big question for me is what will happen to the block the Keller currently occupies? I believe it needs to be a publicly accessible amenity, but I'm curious what others think.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
I simply can't understand the advocacy for retaining the current theater. Yes, it is a phenomenal location but renovating it is going to be much more expensive than just the construction costs, as noted in the above.

The big question for me is what will happen to the block the Keller currently occupies? I believe it needs to be a publicly accessible amenity, but I'm curious what others think.
I think it’s a cool historic theater in a good location. But I also get the struggle for arts in general and that likely is too big of a hurdle to overcome by needing to close it for years.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 12:58 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
I think it’s a cool historic theater in a good location. But I also get the struggle for arts in general and that likely is too big of a hurdle to overcome by needing to close it for years.
Sigh. I agree. In a perfect world, the Keller would be able to relocate for a few years so the current location could be demolished and redeveloped (with housing above the theater, as long as I'm dreaming). But that's not realistic.

As much as it pains me to say this, because I love having the theater across the street from the fountain in such an easily accessible part of downtown, moving the Keller could be for the best. Having a theater there creates a dead block except for show times. Building a high rise there with something more active at street level could be good for that part of downtown, though I'd be sad to see the Keller move.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 4:58 AM

Quote:
That is true about Keller and vibrancy. But it SHOULD be more vibrant, given its central location. I posted this winter about taking my family to show there, and having a real hard time finding a place for dinner close by. We ended up eating driving and parking in SE (Grand Fir brewing - excellent place), and then driving over to the Keller. And sadly, one of the closest establishments to Keller that we briefly considered has now closed - Mccormick and Schmicks. And it's not even that close. There isn't much else.
I know this area is not exactly thriving with nightlife but there are several close-by restaurants, at least much closer than going across the river. Higgins, Luc Lac, Q, Terrane, Morton's - these are all downtown within walking distance of the Keller.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
I know this area is not exactly thriving with nightlife but there are several close-by restaurants, at least much closer than going across the river. Higgins, Luc Lac, Q, Terrane, Morton's - these are all downtown within walking distance of the Keller.
Sorry I guess I meant "easy" walking distance. Higgins/Luc Luc are like 15 minute walks with kids in tow. I'm thinking true urban, as in, a handful of places within maybe 3-5 blocks. Walk out the door, and in eyesight I can see a couple of restaurants/bars serving a theater crowd.

I just did a google search centered on Keller, zoomed to 5-6 blocks in any direction, open on a Sunday at 5pm. Pretty sparse selection. Almost 40 square blocks.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
Given the incredible site in front of the Keller Fountain, I agree. If rumors of the James Beard Public Market moving into an existing building are correct, that might be a great use? By the time the new auditorium is built, the old one demolished, and a new structure built on the site the JBPM could potentially have been in operation for a decade and be ready to expand.

Last edited by maccoinnich; May 30, 2024 at 6:07 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment