HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 1:17 PM
Look at me!

DSC09958 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; May 11, 2024 at 11:51 AM.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
It rather funny how Ottawa is putting up high rises all over the place but Calgary isn't. FWI......Calgary is our 4th largest city and 3rd largest corporate in case no one knew as it is no longer mentioned on this forum. Despite being the fastest growing city in the country {probably tied with Edmonton}, it has relatively few towers under construction, just 12 and only a handful of proposals. Admittedly this may be a bit on the low side due to no Albertans any longer on this forum to give us updates but that's still a huge gap between Ottawa & Calgary.

When going to skyrisecities {which is where Calgary conversations take place} the city doesn't seem to be going full throttle on high rises but rather mid-density buildings of between 5 to 10 stories throughout the greater downtown and low rise in the outer areas especially along the CTrain corridors. The number of mid-rises is numbing.

Mid-rises don't do a lot for the skyline {not that Calgary needs any help in that dept} but seem to be more pedestrian friendly with development built on more of a human scale.
There are a bunch of towers in the pipeline here, next year looks to get back on track for downtown construction. Meanwhile the density boom in the suburbs is quite impressive, mid to high rises going up everywhere with many more in the works.

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 1:00 AM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 8:47 PM

Amazing photos as always everybody, thank you.

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 9:55 PM

Yorkville reaching for the sky.

One day... The One will dominate this view right behind the crane on the right.

Rascacielo

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 5:45 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 7:37 AM

Beautiful shots! I love the spring greenery!

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 11:31 AM

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
That second little downtown near the legislator is fascinating. Looks like it's been frozen in time for 40 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Love how nearly every mid-rise roof is either green or a terrace.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 2:54 PM
The New Republic

Love how there's a break between high density and low density. As much as I support density, high-rises/mid-rises from one end of a city to the other would be awful. Heavily treed low density provides a much needed break/oasis providing both green and space.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

What an ugly city!

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 4:20 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Love how there's a break between high density and low density. As much as I support density, high-rises/mid-rises from one end of a city to the other would be awful. Heavily treed low density provides a much needed break/oasis providing both green and space.
Personally I think heavily treed mid-density can provide the same thing and offers it to more people. And unless a city is predominantly higher density lowrise with everything being 2-4 story multi-unit like in parts of Europe or the eastern half of Montreal, there really needs to be mid-rises mixed in all across the city. It's the only practical way to have efficient land use and to make the city more interesting. I think people forget that higher density areas can be incredibly lush and green if done well. There just needs to be a road verge that's wide enough for mature trees, along with other landscaping like vines and shrubbery. And let's face it, tower-in-the-park developments can actually offer more ground-level space than single detached house areas.

To me, areas like these seem very lush and green despite not being low density.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/38auFoKeLkEQku7B7

https://maps.app.goo.gl/2NadbeEVPbi7KJAs8

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 5:13 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Personally I think heavily treed mid-density can provide the same thing and offers it to more people. And unless a city is predominantly higher density lowrise with everything being 2-4 story multi-unit like in parts of Europe or the eastern half of Montreal, there really needs to be mid-rises mixed in all across the city. It's the only practical way to have efficient land use and to make the city more interesting. I think people forget that higher density areas can be incredibly lush and green if done well. There just needs to be a road verge that's wide enough for mature trees, along with other landscaping like vines and shrubbery. And let's face it, tower-in-the-park developments can actually offer more ground-level space than single detached house areas.

Agreed.

The Westend on Vancouver's downtown peninsula is a great example as well. It's one of the densest neighbourhoods in North America, and it's very lush and green.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.28717...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.28878...6656?entry=ttu

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.28528...6656?entry=ttu

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 5:55 PM

Quote:
That low density IMO kills the walkability of those neighbourhoods though. It's why it feels like there's still so many pedestrian dead zones in Vancouver, and weakens the overall vibrancy of the city. It only compares favourably with US cities.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 5:59 PM

Quote:

100% agree. It's why the Plateau is still Canada's most aesthetically pleasing and vibrant neighbourhood. Even the Toronto equivalents are at least a step or two down, and I can't think of any Vancouver equivalents that would measure up.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 8:06 PM
The New Republic

Quote:

Having lived in Europe for many years (I was born in London) and Montreal for two I'm very familiar with that type of built form. Although many aspects of them are appealing, I'd be horrified if Canada tried to re-make its cities into the uniformly dense cities that dominate Europe. The diversity in built form AND differing densities is one of the key reasons I've chosen to live in a Canadian city over a European one.

Secondly, it's folly to boil everything down to the most efficient use of land. There are intangibles one can't put a price tag on. We'd be making an irreversible mistake if we destroy our low density neighbourhoods in the name of some land efficiency equation or to satisfy people's obsession for all things European. Canadians fetishize Europe but the homogeneity of European cities can become monotonous and insipid quickly. Living in European cities is very different than visiting them for 3 weeks. I'd take Toronto's built form over that of Paris 7 days/week and it's not a close call.

When it comes to low density neighbourhoods, I sense lots of Canadians have become resentful, angry, and vindictive. They just want to bulldoze all of it. For some, if they can't have it, no one can. Low density neighbourhoods are absolutely a less efficient use of land but destroying them would be a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water. We can absolutely have the best of both worlds: medium/high density TOD but also (unlike many European cities) a bucolic break from it every 2-3 km.

The juxtaposition of high density with low density is a wonderful thing, a breath of fresh air, and a blessing. Hopefully, Canadians wake up to that before they destroy what they have. I'm not hopeful though. Canadians are famously self-deprecating and often blind to what they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Agreed.

The Westend on Vancouver's downtown peninsula is a great example as well. It's one of the densest neighbourhoods in North America, and it's very lush and green.
No one is disputing that. The issue is when you make every place in a city the same. I've spent many years in Europe, lived near Le Plateau in Montreal, and stayed in Vancouver's West End. As nice as they are you absolutely long for some variety, a break from the same thing. Le Plateau/West End are great but I wouldn't want Montreal/Vancouver to look like that from one end to the other. Juxtaposition and variety are highly under rated. Montreal and Vancouver are great for their variety. They have high density, medium density, but also low density. They all matter.

It's human nature to covet what you don't have but Canadians' made rush to re-make everything like a 'Le Plateau/West End' is folly. Be careful what you wish for. Once it's gone, it's too late to undo.

Last edited by isaidso; May 13, 2024 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 8:46 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'tit Renard View Post
100% agree. It's why the Plateau is still Canada's most aesthetically pleasing and vibrant neighbourhood. Even the Toronto equivalents are at least a step or two down, and I can't think of any Vancouver equivalents that would measure up.
This is just your personal opinion... I would expect millions of Canadians to disagree, including myself.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 10:06 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Having lived in Europe for many years (I was born in London) and Montreal for two I'm very familiar with that type of built form. Although many aspects of them are appealing, I'd be horrified if Canada tried to re-make its cities into the uniformly dense cities that dominate Europe. The diversity in built form AND differing densities is one of the key reasons I've chosen to live in a Canadian city over a European one.

Secondly, it's folly to boil everything down to the most efficient use of land. There are intangibles one can't put a price tag on. We'd be making an irreversible mistake if we destroy our low density neighbourhoods in the name of some land efficiency equation or to satisfy people's obsession for all things European. Canadians fetishize Europe but the homogeneity of European cities can become monotonous and insipid quickly. Living in European cities is very different than visiting them for 3 weeks. I'd take Toronto's built form over that of Paris 7 days/week and it's not a close call.

When it comes to low density neighbourhoods, I sense lots of Canadians have become resentful, angry, and vindictive. They just want to bulldoze all of it. For some, if they can't have it, no one can. Low density neighbourhoods are absolutely a less efficient use of land but destroying them would be a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water. We can absolutely have the best of both worlds: medium/high density TOD but also (unlike many European cities) a bucolic break from it every 2-3 km.

The juxtaposition of high density with low density is a wonderful thing, a breath of fresh air, and a blessing. Hopefully, Canadians wake up to that before they destroy what they have. I'm not hopeful though. Canadians are famously self-deprecating and often blind to what they have.
I didn't boil anything down to efficiency. Your reaction is either reading beyond what I said or based on superficially-similar things others have said. I specifically said " to have efficient land use and to make the city more interesting." That "and" does some very important work in the sentence. It means I view making cities more interesting and therefore enjoyable is on an equal level with efficiency and sustainability. If i only cared about efficiency I would advocate for extreme high density like Hong Kong rather than gentle medium density from lowrise buildings or from inserting a few higher density developments into lower density areas.

And when I said "unless a city is predominantly higher density lowrise with everything being 2-4 story multi-unit like in parts of Europe or the eastern half of Montreal, there really needs to be mid-rises mixed in all across the city." that "or" again does a Iot of work there. Clearly most cities in Canada aren't mainly 2-4 story multi-family and in case it wasn't clear, I was not suggesting that we destroy everything in low-density nabes to make Canada's other cities uniformly medium density. I was arguing that to achieve both goals of efficiency and more interesting cities, you can either do that or mix higher density developments into predominantly lower density areas. Perhaps the "either/or" proposition should have been more explicit.

In my experience, unless the architecture is particularly interesting or historic, SFH areas do not feel interesting or welcoming. There's often nothing there for the outsider since they tend to be zoned strictly for residential uses and the buildings are often too far apart and/or set back too far from the street to make them very interesting to a pedestrian. So the only ones who can really enjoy them are the immediate residents. In contrast, if you inject some higher density developments such as midrises into such areas, not only does it make the areas more varied (with variety being a goal I agree with) but it allows more people to enjoy the bucolic atmosphere. Currently, multi-unit dwellers are often all forced into busy areas they may not want. Plus the ground floor of higher density developments make a natural place for other amenities and services allowing the area to be more walkable for everyone.

I do agree with the anger and resentment comment, but calling it vindictive is flat out wrong. It's totally justified to feel frustrated that such a high proportion of land is occupied by such a small percentage of residents to the point of it negatively affecting the experience of others. There's a big difference between not wanting someone to have something just because you're envious compared to not wanting them to have it because it's actively harming you. In this case, people who don't want (or can't afford) to live in detached houses are being excluded from many areas they might prefer to live in because of obstruction from people who already live there. And to be clear, when i say not wanting them to have it, I don't mean not wanting anyone to be able to live in a detached house. Only not wanting them to have nabes of SFHs that exclude other development types. The only thing one could describe as vindictive here are people who obstruct development because of things like or property values, pejorative classist assumptions, or greater concern over "character" (which just means a fear of change) without concern for the needs of other residents. But I'd prefer to err on the side of empathy rather than making judgmental assumptions about their mindset.

Anyway, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

Last edited by Nouvellecosse; May 13, 2024 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 10:33 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
This is just your personal opinion... I would expect millions of Canadians to disagree, including myself.
Are we talking in terms of living or simply visiting and enjoying? I'm sure there are many people who'd prefer other areas to live in, partly since we've developed cultural assumptions about things like crime and the need for space as we've drifted away from vibrant urban neighbourhoods in NA society. But I'd be surprised if many people (who actually spent time there) didn't acknowledge the beauty and vibrancy of the area as a visitor.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 11:15 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
No one is disputing that. The issue is when you make every place in a city the same. I've spent many years in Europe, lived near Le Plateau in Montreal, and stayed in Vancouver's West End. As nice as they are you absolutely long for some variety, a break from the same thing. Le Plateau/West End are great but I wouldn't want Montreal/Vancouver to look like that from one end to the other. Juxtaposition and variety are highly under rated. Montreal and Vancouver are great for their variety. They have high density, medium density, but also low density. They all matter.

It's human nature to covet what you don't have but Canadians' made rush to re-make everything like a 'Le Plateau/West End' is folly. Be careful what you wish for. Once it's gone, it's too late to undo.

That only makes sense if the economics support it. The houses shown in the Vancouver photo are all around 3 to 4 million dollars on average. Well, it's the land that commands that price. Most of the houses sold in the last 5-7 years have been to investment firms and pension plans (OPP in particular) all buying the houses up for potential land assemblies. Corporations are the only ones that can afford the land, hence the houses have outlived their usefulness. The land is too rare, expensive, and close to the two biggest employment centres in the city (Broadway Corridor and Downtown) to remain SFH/low rise.

So.....the entire area from Clark Drive to Alma St along Broadway has been rezoned, and that's a good thing. This neighbourhood will look practically unrecognizable in 20 years. It'll become 2 or 3 Westends. We don't have the luxury to covet inner city SFH/low rise neighbourhood when the housing crisis continues to wreck havoc on so many people's lives here and in the province.

Is it nice to have different-looking neighbourhood with a range of densities? Absolutely, and that's what will happen here. It'll be a mix of heritage homes, low/med/and high rise buildings along a 6 kilometre stretch.

Last edited by giallo; May 14, 2024 at 3:00 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada