HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 3:13 PM

Thanks for the tremendous update, Zep! They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so a extension of that could be a video is worth a thousand pictures! Or doing the math, a video is a million words.

As per said video, demolition has begun again after multi-week abatement pause. Hurray.

It has been superseded by this newer video but YouTuber video-blogger user name "Metro Vancouver Construction Projects & Buildings" has an April 30th video on this bridge work. He is a SSP user, I believe, so shout out to him and his content on this and various other Vancouver construction projects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W223SgiLG14&t=186s

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
..."Metro Vancouver Construction Projects & Buildings" has an April 30th video on this bridge work...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W223SgiLG14&t=186s
I viewed (I am subscribed/liked all) his video on tuesday night and planned on checking it out the next day but
got distracted by jollyburger's Post #1729 and made a b-line for Senawk, only to then forget about the Connector until I heard the jackhammering.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 5:16 PM

seems like a lost opportunity for continuous retail along Pacific that could've been achieved by rebuilding 1-2 structural bays of the bridge with columns, with maintenance access off Pacific.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
seems like a lost opportunity for continuous retail along Pacific that could've been achieved by rebuilding 1-2 structural bays of the bridge with columns, with maintenance access off Pacific.
I think they wanted to leave the possibility to install a NEU under the rebuilt bridge section. The only way retail down there would even have a chance of working is if the city gave out the space for free.

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 2:10 AM

There's an abutment there where the span across Pacific is supported.
Replacing that with columns and a lintel would require a lot more work and maybe closure of Pacific.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2749...8192?entry=ttu

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 3:53 PM

^^Ah, good point - not worth extending the demo across Pacific. I just got back from Tokyo few weeks ago, and they have retail in nearly all of their underpasses haha

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
^^Ah, good point - not worth extending the demo across Pacific. I just got back from Tokyo few weeks ago, and they have retail in nearly all of their underpasses haha
I don't know why we don't explore this opportunity here - something under the viaducts, or extend the retail where vancouver house is. Especially where it is city owned, it could provide a lot of opportunity for more small businesses to pop up with affordable rents etc.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 11:46 PM

End of the week update.

This afternoon, pics by me.

https://makeagif.com/i/fB3ISA

Freshly poured concrete, you can smell the wet concrete from half a block, it smelled like leveling compound.

Video Link

Last edited by Zepfancouver; May 11, 2024 at 5:35 PM. Reason: Added a Video

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 12:21 AM

I wonder why they're keeping the piers.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 4:48 AM

maybe to contain the soil.
That'll create a few cells with the precast walls being installed now.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 5:23 PM

I guess removing them is a huge cost as well so you can just leave them in place.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I guess removing them is a huge cost as well so you can just leave them in place.
I wonder if they'll creat humps if the soil between them subsides?

Anyways, the precast panels for the mechanically stabilized earth walls have been installed along the new roadway close to Pacific where the bridge has been demolished.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I wonder if they'll creat humps if the soil between them subsides?

Anyways, the precast panels for the mechanically stabilized earth walls have been installed along the new roadway close to Pacific where the bridge has been demolished.
And there's apparently a concrete making facility on site. There's a big silo set up on the closed section of Granville, and there were cement trucks delivering to site this morning (not concrete mixers).

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 11:43 PM

When I went downtown on Saturday it looked like they were painting out the lines on Seymour between the ramps and Davie. Anyone know why?

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 2:13 AM

Found this about the piers.

Quote:
The Consultant shall design and develop a plan to completely remove the bridge deck between Pier N18 and Abutment N22, and convert Pier N18 into an abutment, facilitating the conversion of these spans from suspended structure to road on fill. This includes the reconstruction of the asphalt roadway on top of the new retained fill, as well as the reinstatement of all utilities.

The plan shall include a method wherein Piers N19, N20 and N21 remain in place, except where portions of the piers that may have to be trimmed temporarily to facilitate construction. If the demolition of the mainline deck between Piers N18 and N22 is to be phased to maintain some traffic, including trolley buses, over the north approach during construction, then the plan should include the design of all necessary elements and temporary structures to facilitate the staged ramp replacement and accommodation of interim trolley overhead.

Based on a previous preliminary study completed by AE, it is anticipated that this design will include anchors to retain the wall pier and restrain the future backfill, as well as a method to remove the existing seismic restraints linking the adjacent girders at Pier N18 and replace them with new seismic restrainers on the south side of N18.
https://bids.vancouver.ca/bidopp/RFP...opsRemoval.PDF

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
When I went downtown on Saturday it looked like they were painting out the lines on Seymour between the ramps and Davie. Anyone know why?
There's some orange tree protection fencing around the trees in front of Elan (1255 Seymour) so I assume they it's either related to work on their facade or utility work under Seymour.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
There's some orange tree protection fencing around the trees in front of Elan (1255 Seymour) so I assume they it's either related to work on their facade or utility work under Seymour.
Just what that stretch of road needs!

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 7:12 PM

Neon street future incline

Incline to Granville street from/on Neon St

South end of site, joining onto existing bridge

Pics: mine

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 7:13 PM

pics: mine

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure