HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Dec 28, 2022, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
^
Very bland design based on that rendering.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 2:07 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
Sure, it is a bland first pass at doing a residential building on the tiny site. The Design Commission will push the designer to make improvements. But we should be really happy that someone wants to build 12 stories of housing on such a skinny lot.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
It looks like it will be a nicely detailed if simple brick tower. And from my Seattle perspective I will take this over the overly modulated hardie clad monstrosities we get up here. I have faith that Holst will do a nice job, even with out any design review feedback (there is a huge effort to curtail out of control design review up here.)

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 12:31 AM

Drawings. Hearing on 1/19

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 1:54 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

I'd love to see a version of this using two shades of brick. They're trying to make it look like two interlocking pieces. Why not accentuate that by using a different shade of brick for each "piece"? Eh. Whatever. As is, it's... fine.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2023, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I'd love to see a version of this using two shades of brick. They're trying to make it look like two interlocking pieces. Why not accentuate that by using a different shade of brick for each "piece"? Eh. Whatever. As is, it's... fine.
The currently popular technique of visually breaking down the scale of full-block buildings has been to change the brick color and maybe fool the passerby into believing she or he is passing two different buildings. But the Julia West building will only occupy a standard 50x100 lot, something I am very happy about. (I love seeing tallish buildings go up on small sites.) So the Julia West would look silly with two brick colors defining the varied brick planes. I suggest that the architect stick with one brick color and continue to refine the deeply-recessed window openings to create an interesting elevation AND devise a better reason for, and execution of, the wimpy bend in the brick skin.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
Drawings. Hearing on 1/19
^Thanks! I much prefer the brick to the all flat panel metal siding option. Snips from the file:

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 5:15 PM

I am not a fan of brick veneer on high-rise, and even less so thin brick. Even the precedence for the brick option compared to the precedence for metal panel alternative is a real contrast in quality and age. Not to mention it is hard to find a good masonry contractor these days.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 6:29 PM

Quote:
12-story building proposed for tiny West End site

A new mass-timber tower is in the works for Portland’s West End. The Portland Design Commission got its first look Thursday at the proposal for a 12-story building at 522 S.W. 13th Ave., on the northeast corner of the intersection with Southwest Alder Street.

The approximately 59,900-square-foot Julia West Apartments, designed by Holst Architecture for Community Development Partners, would feature cross-laminated timber and provide 90 units (60 studios and 30 one-bedroom units) of permanent supportive housing for seniors.

Commissioners liked the thin-brick façade and were impressed by Holst’s ability to fit the tower on the site, which is about one-eighth of a typical Portland block.

“Well, you’ve taken a difficult site.” Commissioner Don Vallaster said. “It’s hard to get two stairs and an elevator in on this type of a site without really causing problems for the layout, and I think you’ve done a really good job of that.”
...continues at the DJC ($)

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 11:50 PM

Project has been submitted for design review.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 7:48 PM

Approval of the Julia West Apartments

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
Approval of the Julia West Apartments
I applaud this 12-story affordable-apartments building on a 50x100 lot in Downtown. I could quibble about some design moves, but then it is only a small part of the streetscape, so I can feel comfortable knowing it will not dominate the block.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 4:02 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

DMH, I agree completely. Sure, there are some little things they could have done to make the design more compelling such as a slight variation of the shade of bricks for the two visual chunks, but in this location, it'll blend right in rather than stand out, and that's fine. I'll be glad to see this built. The sooner, the better!

Thumbs up, enthusiastically.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 5:00 PM

I understand that it's a small lot, but I'm still surprised they can get away with just one elevator. All elevators need service after some time. I'd hate to be old or disabled living on an upper floor when that happens.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBenson View Post
I understand that it's a small lot, but I'm still surprised they can get away with just one elevator. All elevators need service after some time. I'd hate to be old or disabled living on an upper floor when that happens.
It clearly has two elevators in the approval documents.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 7:42 PM

Thanks for the clarification. Somehow, in looking at floor plans I spotted only one elevator. I'll relook.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 9:42 PM

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Closing Announcement: Julia West House

We are very excited to announce the closing of Julia West House!

Located in Downtown Portland, Julia West House will combine 90 units of permanent supportive housing with comprehensive resident services for houseless elders and BIPOC individuals earning 30% or less of the area median income. Amenities for residents include two community spaces, a community kitchen, rooftop patio, laundry room and bike parking. Offices for property management, resident services and case management are also located onsite.

Based on recent data, approximately a quarter of the houseless population in Portland are adults aged 55 and over and there is a disproportionate impact of houselessness on communities of color. Julia West House will be a 100% PSH community intended for older adults aged 55+, 45% of whom identify as BIPOC. Julia West residents will receive permanent supportive case management services by Northwest Pilot Project and Native American Rehabilitation Association of the Northwest (NARA) and resident services by Community for Positive Aging. Guardian Property Management is the property manager. Combined, these organizations will work with Multnomah County’s Joint Office of Homeless Services (JOHS) Coordinated Access system to identify and move future residents into the building.

Julia West House is a 12-story, high rise project featuring a cross-laminated timber (CLT) structure, making it the tallest of its kind in Oregon. The project is highly sustainable and will be National Green Building Standard certified and Energy Star certified.

CDP purchased the site from First Presbyterian Church, who had been holding it for a suitable future development that aligned with their values of community service. Funding for the project includes a 4% Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) allocation with equity investment by Aegon; rental assistance from OHCS and the JOHS; and Portland Clean Energy Community Benefits Fund (PCEF) grant. Construction financing is being provided by Bank of America and permanent financing is being provided by Citibank.

Julia West House was designed by Holst Architecture and is being built by Walsh Construction Co.
...via Community Development Partners.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 7:53 PM
A before E

I am really looking forward to watching this building getting built.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 8:42 PM

Building permit was issued last week.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland