HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
At least these ones are against the street and provide commercial rather than being set back and providing no life or commercial space. That being said, Darko never rents out any of his commercial....

It's a travesty that Marquee has such a large vacant commercial space, and his building on Cannon. The guy doesn't give a shit about the communities he builds in, he's just a rich developer that thinks buildings look cool, and it's a way to build his families wealth portfolio.
You have a problem with someone willing to put their money on the line to build housing in this city? At the end of the day he is accepting a high level of risk in these ventures, and he's providing Hamiltonians with a place to live. I don't really see much of a problem. Sure, he could do better to integrate commercial space into his projects, but at least he believes in the city and wants to invest. I don't see you building dozens of high rise buildings in this city, so I don't understand how you can criticize someone else for at least trying.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
You have a problem with someone willing to put their money on the line to build housing in this city? At the end of the day he is accepting a high level of risk in these ventures, and he's providing Hamiltonians with a place to live. I don't really see much of a problem. Sure, he could do better to integrate commercial space into his projects, but at least he believes in the city and wants to invest. I don't see you building dozens of high rise buildings in this city, so I don't understand how you can criticize someone else for at least trying.
Lol Darko is accepting no risk. It's no secret that he's not exactly the typical developer. He's a millionaire that got rich doing shady shit and now he is playing around with his money. I worked with one of his relatives and she told me exactly that. He's just having fun at this point. It's why he doesn't bother renting the commercial either. Don't get me wrong housing is good, but this guy doesn't give a singular fuck about you, me or housing people. He's playing City skylines in real life. He doesn't believe in Hamilton any more than he believes in any of the cities he develops in. Hamilton is in the market for pricy Lego block condos, and that's his specialty. He likes building hotels most because of the ability to launder money through them, and because they attract less complaints about living conditions. Again, may not be a problem to you, but I kind of find it incredibly lame that the largest redevelopments in this city are by someone who I can categorically does not care about this city whatsoever. His relative confirmed my suspicious that he just likes building hotels, and condos partly because the family told him to get out of the more obvious less than moral work he was involved in.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 10:07 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Lol Darko is accepting no risk. It's no secret that he's not exactly the typical developer. He's a millionaire that got rich doing shady shit and now he is playing around with his money. I worked with one of his relatives and she told me exactly that. He's just having fun at this point. It's why he doesn't bother renting the commercial either. Don't get me wrong housing is good, but this guy doesn't give a singular fuck about you, me or housing people. He's playing City skylines in real life. He doesn't believe in Hamilton any more than he believes in any of the cities he develops in. Hamilton is in the market for pricy Lego block condos, and that's his specialty. He likes building hotels most because of the ability to launder money through them, and because they attract less complaints about living conditions. Again, may not be a problem to you, but I kind of find it incredibly lame that the largest redevelopments in this city are by someone who I can categorically does not care about this city whatsoever. His relative confirmed my suspicious that he just likes building hotels, and condos partly because the family told him to get out of the more obvious less than moral work he was involved in.

You're not wrong about Darko from what I've gathered, however you might have too good of an impression about other developers.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 7:15 PM

This has been upgraded to: 39 floors (120m) and 41 floors (126m):

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 7:25 PM

They are going to have the City see red at those heights

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 11:53 PM

Chris pulled some images over on UT:

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton