View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 1:52 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Great photos. It’s a shame how many buildings downtown Battle Creek has lost. It used to be much more dense and Battle Creek Tower and The Milton weren’t so dominating.

The building where the indoor rock climbing gym is planned was originally a JC Penney and was a common design. I’m glad to see a unique attraction going there.
I feel the same way about Kalamazoo sometimes. I remember reading a statistic somewhere that Kzoo lost something like 45% of its pre-WW2 building stock, beginning in the 1950's and through the 1980's. Much of that was to create surface parking and because industries were shutting down. Just a smaller version of the same challenge that covered the whole nation. The biggest difference I noticed between Battle Creek and Kalamazoo while walking around was how empty the roads and sidewalks of Battle Creek were. Granted, it was the middle of a work day, but I barely saw a single pedestrian. You can see in the photos I barely captured half a dozen other passers-by in the shots.