View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 8:04 PM
somewhere in-between

Interlochen -

This unincorporated community is located half an hour southwest of Traverse City and has a year-round population of about 270. But thanks to Interlochen Center for the Arts (ICA), the community is a bustling hub of activity, especially in the summer months, when ICA's regular boarding school turns over to summer programs that draw ~ 2,500 students, plus faculty and staff from across the country and globe (2020 was the exception to this, for obvious reasons). The population of the area increases tenfold or more as families and tourists visit the area for robust live performance events and to enjoy the natural scenic beauty. Rental homes fill up and local establishments make bank.

Interlochen is a place near and dear to me - I've spent many summers there, and it is where my wife and I met when we were in the high school summer camp program, 15 years ago. I was there for the 75th anniversary, and now we are only a few years away from the centennial celebration. It is a magical campus full of wonderful people and wonderful art, including wonderful architecture, much of it by Michigan native / Midland-based Alden B. Dow. Although I attended Interlochen principally focused on music, there is no doubt that the campus' architecture influenced my decision to ultimately go into that field.

There has been a lot of recent development in both the Interlochen community and the ICA campus lately. Starting with the campus, there are two big projects happening right now on campus - the Hildegarde Lewis Dance Building Addition and the Dow House, as well as the recently-completed new Music Center.

1. The Dance Building addition adds three new studio spaces to the existing two, as well as new main entry, changing rooms, offices, and support spaces. It is located right on the waterfront of Green Lake and it will feature outdoor terrace spaces for dancing and gathering. The $6 million expansion takes some architectural cues from the adjacent Kresge Auditorium, a 4,000 SF covered outdoor amphitheater. It is designed by Boston, MA-based Flansburgh Architects, a firm that specializes in educational facilities and dance spaces.

Construction camera progress from this morning -

Source: live.interlochen.org

Architectural renderings -

Source: Flansburgh Architects

2. The Dow House is a new $8.5 million residence hall made possible by a $4 million gift from the Herbert H. and Grace A. Dow Foundation. It's completion will mark the culmination of a three-decades-long master plan effort (by Sasaki Associates), adding permanent, high-quality, year-round housing options for students, faculty, and visiting artists. It is also located right along the lakeshore of Green Lake. It is designed by Cornerstone Architects - a firm with offices in Traverse City and Grand Rapids, which has a lot of history working with Interlochen.

Construction camera progress from this morning -

Source: live.interlochen.org

Source: Crescendo | Courtesy Cornerstone Architects

3. The $24 million Music Center broke ground in May 2017 and opened in May 2019. It is a 62,000 SF, 3-story facility that connects the existing Frohlich Piano and Percussion Building with Corson Auditorium to create a comprehensive, connected facility to serve all musicians. It was also designed by Cornerstone.

Source: Crescendo | Courtesy Cornerstone Architects

Completed photos -

Source: interlochen.org/facilities/music-center

Source: Crescendo

I hope you enjoyed these Interlochen updates. More to come!