PDA

View Full Version : Claridge Plaza I & II | 78m |25 fl| Completed

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

AuxTown
Jun 24, 2008, 4:28 AM
Noticed today fencing was being put up surrounding the remaining site, as well the sales shed was moved last week and located to a small parking lot on Lisgar across from DC United church.

Could that be sales for the proposed Portrait Gallery Towers????

Luker
Jun 24, 2008, 1:27 PM
Not sure? makes sense? But if anythign I think it would be wishful thinking as they dont know the outcome yet on where the gallery will be... ?

AuxTown
Jun 24, 2008, 2:31 PM
But, with that deal they made with council, isn't there going to be a tower no matter what?

Mille Sabords
Jun 25, 2008, 3:37 PM
The Rexall pharmacy is now open, I took a peek in there yesterday. I don't like the entranceway and the way they've painted over the street windows with happy people looking healthy... The wider sidewalk and the pavers are a plus. The corner and Waller side of Tower 1 are still a work in progress. I can't yet figure out what they'll do with the space to the right of the condo's main entrance - it is slightly sunk in relation to the sidewalk and looks as though it will stay open to the outside, or parts of it will...

And the corner of Waller and Besserer is brutal - big air vents and weedy grass. At least, the triangle is big enough to be able to make it into a cool little open plaza with a shade tree or two, have an artist paint a mural on the air vents, put some benches...

c_speed3108
Jun 25, 2008, 3:46 PM
I don't like the entranceway and the way they've painted over the street windows with happy people looking healthy...

They have offered to change it to unhappy people looking unhealthy if there is enough public support :haha:

Mille Sabords
Jun 25, 2008, 7:03 PM
They have offered to change it to unhappy people looking unhealthy if there is enough public support :haha:

:haha: :haha: OK, here's my suggestion (it would kinda fit on Rideau Street, actually):

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Girls/smokinggirls.jpg
Photo source: can-stop-smoking.com

TMA-1
Jun 25, 2008, 8:25 PM
A garage air intake is to the right of the front entrance. On the other side of the wall from all the bad louvres is a parking garage/loading dock/hydro vault...etc. Gotta get air in and out somehow and they say they could not use the roof.

The Rex...he corner and Waller side of Tower 1 are still a work in progress. I can't yet figure out what they'll do with the space to the right of the condo's main entrance - it is slightly sunk in relation to the sidewalk and looks as though it will stay open to the outside, or parts of it will...

And the corner of Waller and Besserer is brutal - big air vents and weedy grass. At least, the triangle is big enough to be able to make it into a cool little open plaza with a shade tree or two, have an artist paint a mural on the air vents, put some benches...

ottawaexile
Jul 22, 2008, 6:59 PM
When I was oven in May I was told work would start on the digging for the second tower in June. As it is now nearly August I'm wondering if things have started moving yet?

Mille Sabords
Jul 22, 2008, 7:08 PM
When I was oven in May I was told work would start on the digging for the second tower in June. As it is now nearly August I'm wondering if things have started moving yet?

Yes, I walk by there several times a week. The excavation is well underway. The hole is down to about the third parking garage level. My guess is the crane will probably go up before the snow flies. I'll try to post some pics next time.

Oh and the Galleria is almost entirely clad, that building is a real sleeper of a little gem, it actually looks quite good. When you stand on Cumberland street looking toward it, in mid-day, you can see that it doesn't block the sun at all for the houses on Daly, the shade is on the other side, facing Besserer. So the people from Daly Street actually gain from having this building shield them from the noise of Rideau Street, and the rush hour traffic on Besserer.

Mille Sabords
Jul 22, 2008, 7:09 PM
Moderator - the status for this one should be: Phase I, completed - Phase II, under construction.

harls
Jul 22, 2008, 7:22 PM
I have heeded your call.

ottawaexile
Jul 22, 2008, 7:26 PM
Many thanks for the update Mille Sabords.

Hope to be back over in Ottawa (for good!) before the snow flies .. or does that start in August? ;)

John

Rathgrith
Jul 22, 2008, 10:12 PM
The Rexall pharmacy is now open, I took a peek in there yesterday. I don't like the entranceway and the way they've painted over the street windows with happy people looking healthy... The wider sidewalk and the pavers are a plus. The corner and Waller side of Tower 1 are still a work in progress. I can't yet figure out what they'll do with the space to the right of the condo's main entrance - it is slightly sunk in relation to the sidewalk and looks as though it will stay open to the outside, or parts of it will...

Then you're going to hate suburban Rexall's/Shopper's Drugmart/any corporate pharmacy. They all have the same looking posters. I swear the marketing department got lazy and bought the pictures all from the same photographer.

aesthetic
Jul 23, 2008, 3:17 AM
Quite a few up for sale and/or rent. Found this one with a few pictures of the interior of the Washington floor plan:

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-housing-apartments-for-rent-1-bedroom-Claridge-Plaza-1-BR-Condo-for-Rent-200-Rideau-Street-W0QQAdIdZ61226407

jitterbug
Jul 24, 2008, 1:35 PM
So Tower 2 is under construction? That's good news. Anything picture worthy yet?

Mille Sabords
Jul 25, 2008, 2:51 AM
Here are some pictures I took this evening of Claridge II's construction progress (excavation underway):

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Ottawa/2008-07032.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Ottawa/2008-07034.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Ottawa/2008-07035.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Ottawa/2008-07036.jpg

eemy
Jul 25, 2008, 11:31 AM
What's happening with the podium?

Mille Sabords
Jul 25, 2008, 12:52 PM
What's happening with the podium?

On Rideau Street there are two storefronts, the Rexall pharmacy and the Plaza II sales centre. Then it's temporarily sealed off as you see in the picture, awaiting the Phase II section. The Besserer St side of the podium is what you see in the first picture. It's the butt of the building.

Davis137
Aug 9, 2008, 10:40 PM
This building looked pretty nice coming towards it from Gatineau on Dalhousie last night...the corner of it facing towards the Market and George Street makes it kinda stand out from the other more rectangular buildings near it...

Deez
Aug 25, 2008, 5:11 PM
Here's a shot of progress on the pit:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Reersmeer/DSCN2828.jpg

Davis137
Aug 27, 2008, 1:45 AM
I can see a lot of the new construction projects like these from my office at NDHQ...

Mille Sabords
Sep 4, 2008, 2:54 AM
Evening view of Phase I, taking its rightful place in the Byward skyline: (by me) Tower II will probably hide East Market from this angle.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Ottawa/Aot2008030-1.jpg

ottawaexile
Oct 12, 2008, 8:53 PM
Here's some pics I took today of the CP2 hole. I'm surprised how flimsy the fence is round this thing.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/swfiua/SPJgj1A13MI/AAAAAAAAAl8/PoW1OP5Ufxk/s400/DSCN0686.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/swfiua/SPJgoH9WNSI/AAAAAAAAAmM/kaJtY6cBKEA/s400/DSCN0690.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/swfiua/SPJgmOuSxSI/AAAAAAAAAmE/lBksJ0LKlmA/s400/DSCN0688.jpg

PS anyone know if it is possible to change your logon name here? I'm no longer an exile ;)

AuxTown
Oct 13, 2008, 2:47 PM
Evening view of Phase I, taking its rightful place in the Byward skyline: (by me) Tower II will probably hide East Market from this angle.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Ottawa/Aot2008030-1.jpg

I really like that angle of Claridge with the setbacks. I really don't like the front along Rideau with that curved window thing :yuck: . Oh well, it's not like they're building two of them to double my disappointment.

AuxTown
Oct 18, 2008, 5:18 AM
Yet another sick aerial from "southfacing" on flickr. Props to "fireicedog" for the discovery. Looks pretty good from the air.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3227/2929370073_720b2c7331_b.jpg

Jamaican-Phoenix
Oct 18, 2008, 3:55 PM
Is fireicedog that guy in the red biplane I see flying around Ottawa at low altitude a whole bunch?

AuxTown
Oct 18, 2008, 4:36 PM
The pics were taken by Southfacing and I think he may be a seagull with a nice camera ;) . We need to get this guy to join our little group. Anyone know how to send messages to Flickr members?

Jamaican-Phoenix
Oct 18, 2008, 4:39 PM
The pics were taken by Southfacing and I think he may be a seagull with a nice camera ;) . We need to get this guy to join our little group. Anyone know how to send messages to Flickr members?

Okay, my bad. :P

But yeah, this guy takes some pretty sweet photos. Unfortuantely, I have no idea how to send messages to Flickr members. :(

fireicedog
Oct 19, 2008, 9:09 PM
Thanks for the recognition O-Town, but it's not necessary. Regarding Southfacing, I think he may already be a member of this site. There's a photo of pre 90 George that he posted before that I recognized on his photostream.

AuxTown
Oct 20, 2008, 2:59 AM
Maybe our next SSP-Ottawa meeting could involve an airplane ride over downtown....

ottawaexile
Oct 31, 2008, 3:03 PM
Looks like the digging is done and the crane is going in.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ktRhQYpMn3U/SQscRvAwS3I/AAAAAAAAApU/eQiioszkurQ/s800/dscn0770.jpg

Aylmer
Nov 1, 2008, 4:14 PM
Maybe our next SSP-Ottawa meeting could involve an airplane ride over downtown....

We could use one of my private jets!

:rolleyes:

:)

Davis137
Nov 1, 2008, 10:34 PM
I think that having 2 of these towers, and other buildings being built near them in the future is going to have a nice addition to the skyline east of the Canal...especially when observed from parts of the Queensway, or from Montreal/Rideau east too.

citizen j
Nov 2, 2008, 12:52 AM
^ True. I wonder how soon until the parking lost just east of Claridge Plaza on Rideau (between Cumberland and King Edward) gets developed?

Skyway
Nov 3, 2008, 5:23 PM
I think that having 2 of these towers, and other buildings being built near them in the future is going to have a nice addition to the skyline east of the Canal...especially when observed from parts of the Queensway, or from Montreal/Rideau east too.

Rumour that a tower 3 is being looked at. Land nearby down Rideau may already be purchased by Claridge.

Deez
Nov 3, 2008, 11:31 PM
^Unless this is a new rumour, I'm pretty sure that the land that was being referred to as being purchased by Claridge is the "Nate's Deli Project" (which has been made public).

Cre47
Nov 8, 2008, 2:46 PM
From the city's road closures page

Construction
Due to set-up of tower crane on roadway
Cumberland Street between Rideau Street and Besserer Street
Saturday, November 8, 2008
Low
Road closed. Local and emergency vehicle access maintained.

nomadic
Nov 9, 2008, 4:58 PM
^Unless this is a new rumour, I'm pretty sure that the land that was being referred to as being purchased by Claridge is the "Nate's Deli Project" (which has been made public).

the "Nate's Deli/Ottawa U Residence" project was cancelled about 8 months ago due to lack of $$

But Claridge owns the land on the east side of cumberland from Claridge Plaza

AuxTown
Nov 9, 2008, 7:21 PM
Does that mean that Nate's is still in operation???? I haven't been there in years, but they do make a mean smoked meat sandwich.

Davis137
Nov 11, 2008, 4:17 AM
Saw at work today that the Crane is up at the site now...made me realize that my view of Gatineau from work will be obstructed sometime next year.

Deez
Nov 11, 2008, 8:53 PM
the "Nate's Deli/Ottawa U Residence" project was cancelled about 8 months ago due to lack of $$

But Claridge owns the land on the east side of cumberland from Claridge Plaza

Cool...didn't know that. Do you know who owns the parking lot between the fur store and the hotel?

harls
Nov 12, 2008, 3:25 PM
I saw the crane there last night, it's pretty low. I guess they're planning on jacking it up as they go?

harls
Nov 23, 2008, 3:22 PM
Shot of the crane for Phase II:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3242/3052343421_cf16dbbca6_b.jpg

Davis137
Nov 23, 2008, 4:06 PM
Can't wait to see PH II hit ground level or rise above it soon...as ugly as these buildings might be to some people, at least they are 25 storey's...which is better than being limited to 10 floors or less like the area around Somerset...

Beatrix
Nov 24, 2008, 5:08 AM
A lot of people I talk to seem pretty split on this development. At least in terms of aesthetics.

What is the general feel for them in this forum?

jitterbug
Nov 24, 2008, 2:24 PM
A lot of people I talk to seem pretty split on this development. At least in terms of aesthetics.

What is the general feel for them in this forum?

I don't mind these towers, although there's nothing much to get excited about. I was hoping they'd be taller looking and more slender. Because they're actually quite wide, they seem rather short and stumpy to me.

Having just returned from a visit to Vancouver, I was amazed at the number of new condo towers there - must be in the hundreds just in the downtown area. And many of them are striking in their design - tall, sleek, slender. Most impressive is the brand new 60-storey Shangi-La hotel and condos. So if you compare this to Claridge Plaza or the condos at Lebreton Flats, well, there's no contest.

Beatrix
Nov 24, 2008, 7:20 PM
Yes, the "stumpy-ness" is definitely something I noticed as well. Especially from afar.

I'm not sure what kind of architectual style you would dub these towers as, but they are definitely not something to write home about. It seems like they would have been better suited somewhere outside the downtown core. Again, strictly from an aesthetics stand-point. I am aware we should be intensifiyng the core, but it would be nice if we had a bit higher standards in terms of what we build.

Mille Sabords
Nov 24, 2008, 8:06 PM
They may not be at the level of Vancouver's but they aren't bad at all in my opinion. Certainly one of Claridge's best projects. I like the L-shape; the rounded corner from the street is quite attractive, and I also enjoy the lighting effects they put on the facade both close to street level and higher up - it really makes the building stand out at night. While we are still "a ways away" from Vancouver-level sophistication, it's a step in the right direction - the building will age reasonably well and it will play its role in the urban fabric competently. The two major items of improvement for me would have been a taller podium with better and larger retail space; and finding a way for the complex to have SOME relation with the sidewalk on Besserer and the side street, Waller.

Deez
Nov 24, 2008, 11:16 PM
The two major items of improvement for me would have been a taller podium with better and larger retail space; and finding a way for the complex to have SOME relation with the sidewalk on Besserer and the side street, Waller.

Bingo. I wish they had stuck with the original 3-storey podium design.

harls
Nov 25, 2008, 1:36 PM
Another cool shot from southfacing (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/3053207725/) on flickr. (Nov. 22)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3154/3053207725_05f2b3c384_o.jpg

Brooklyn
Nov 25, 2008, 4:11 PM
What are your opinions of the big flood that happened Sunday night, Nov 23rd. We drove home to the sound of the fire alarm, blissfully ignorant, I took a hot shower and was then called out by my husband to view the waterfalls that was raining down on the stairwells of the 2nd floor (we have a good video of it if anyone's interested). A hot water pipe bursted in 601, and it caused water damage from floors 6-2 (including many of the units) and all the way down to the lobby.

And this morning I woke up to sound of the fire alarm at 6:40, and there was another pipe burst in the garage, but no damage apparently, so it was considered a minor flood.

I spoke with Christina Sonders and she has admitted that there has been three major floods (May, July and Nov 23rd, I know for sure because we along with many others were delayed move-in by the May flood, the July one happened to a number of our next-door neighbours and missed us by 6 inches), and a number of small floods, but she doesn't believe any of it to be an issue because it's normal to new buildings.

Is it normal really? And even if it is, is there nothing else they can do? I had suggested that they could authorize the lobby concierge (I always thought they are security guards but apparently they are not) to turn off the main water control or get someone authorized to do as soon as it happens, because the Nov 23rd flood happened for at least two hours before the water was turned off. Many units may have been able to avoid this damage if they turned it off say 20 mins in. But Claridge can't see to this what I believe to be a simple preventive measure and neither can Tarion. I wonder what else I can do or who else I can talk to?

c_speed3108
Nov 25, 2008, 4:37 PM
What are your opinions of the big flood that happened Sunday night, Nov 23rd. We drove home to the sound of the fire alarm, blissfully ignorant, I took a hot shower and was then called out by my husband to view the waterfalls that was raining down on the stairwells of the 2nd floor (we have a good video of it if anyone's interested). A hot water pipe bursted in 601, and it caused water damage from floors 6-2 (including many of the units) and all the way down to the lobby.

And this morning I woke up to sound of the fire alarm at 6:40, and there was another pipe burst in the garage, but no damage apparently, so it was considered a minor flood.

I spoke with Christina Sonders and she has admitted that there has been three major floods (May, July and Nov 23rd, I know for sure because we along with many others were delayed move-in by the May flood, the July one happened to a number of our next-door neighbours and missed us by 6 inches), and a number of small floods, but she doesn't believe any of it to be an issue because it's normal to new buildings.

Is it normal really? And even if it is, is there nothing else they can do? I had suggested that they could authorize the lobby concierge (I always thought they are security guards but apparently they are not) to turn off the main water control or get someone authorized to do as soon as it happens, because the Nov 23rd flood happened for at least two hours before the water was turned off. Many units may have been able to avoid this damage if they turned it off say 20 mins in. But Claridge can't see to this what I believe to be a simple preventive measure and neither can Tarion. I wonder what else I can do or who else I can talk to?

Does the condo corp not employ an on-site super in a condo that size? Certainly the super would be able to turn off water (or anything else) Generally the management company and by extension the super have authorization to enter units and what not in the event of these sort of emergencies....for the exact reason you mentioned: to prevent further damages.

I know at a condo a family members condo they have it in their rules that owners must have up to date keys on file and in the event they do not and management needs access to a unit doors can be broken down at the owners expense.

Sounds like there are a few issues to bring up with the board anyway...

harls
Nov 25, 2008, 4:43 PM
Didn't something like this happen at the Metropole a while back?

Davis137
Nov 25, 2008, 4:47 PM
Wow, flood action...craziness

That being said, at least you don't live somewhere like Locke St South in Hamilton, where broken watermains and other activities often had the entire neighbourhood under several feet of water...(No I didn't live there, but cousins of mine lived a couple blocks away, and went to observe).

Skyway
Nov 25, 2008, 5:28 PM
Didn't something like this happen at the Metropole a while back?

Yep, it was the main pipe for the sprinkler system on the 32nd floor. Now that one was a mess.

Brooklyn
Nov 25, 2008, 5:41 PM
Does the condo corp not employ an on-site super in a condo that size? Certainly the super would be able to turn off water (or anything else) Generally the management company and by extension the super have authorization to enter units and what not in the event of these sort of emergencies....for the exact reason you mentioned: to prevent further damages.

I know at a condo a family members condo they have it in their rules that owners must have up to date keys on file and in the event they do not and management needs access to a unit doors can be broken down at the owners expense.

Sounds like there are a few issues to bring up with the board anyway...

The condo corp is not formed yet because none of the units have closed yet (projected closing date is Dec 1 at earliest, will most likely be delayed by this). There is a sup, but he works 8-4, and a property manager, but she doens't live on-site either. We saw her in the lobby talking after I believe about an hour and half after the flood happened, while people were stuffing towels and blankets in their front doors preventing water from going in, but it's no use since water was coming in from their ceilings and walls as well.

There is also a security guard on-site but I was told by Christina Sonders that he is not authorized to turn off the main water control because he doesn't have the skills.

Brooklyn
Nov 25, 2008, 5:48 PM
Also since this is the third major flood in under 6 months, those who managed to dodge the previous rounds are worried that it'll hit us eventually. Through the grapevine, we heard that it was largely due to the plumbing company Claridge employed that did a poor job connecting the pipe joints.

c_speed3108
Nov 25, 2008, 5:51 PM
The condo corp is not formed yet because none of the units have closed yet (projected closing date is Dec 1 at earliest, will most likely be delayed by this). There is a sup, but he works 8-4, and a property manager, but she doens't live on-site either. We saw her in the lobby talking after I believe about an hour and half after the flood happened, while people were stuffing towels and blankets in their front doors preventing water from going in, but it's no use since water was coming in from their ceilings and walls as well.

There is also a security guard on-site but I was told by Christina Sonders that he is not authorized to turn off the main water control because he doesn't have the skills.

No condo corp yet...so basically you are renting from a landlord providing crappy service...sounds like fun!

I am amazed they would not have an on-site super in a building that large....or at least a volunteer living in the building with an understanding of the mechanics. You definitely can not run a building that large without some sorta goto person oncall. It is just a must.

The complex my relative lives in is a twin buildings sorta like CP with the rec in the middle but the towers are smaller (and have a 70s design) I believe there is a super living in a unit on the first floor of each building and they alternate weekends oncall. There are copies of the schedule posted in some of the common areas.

jitterbug
Nov 26, 2008, 2:57 PM
Lived for 7 years in a townhouse loft condo and moved last spring to a single detached house in Greenboro. It's more work for upkeep, no more hassles with other unit owners, a dysfunctional condo board, poor property management, etc. Given the added cost of living in condominiums (what with the high condo fees), it will be a long time before I move back to this kind of dwelling. (btw - My single house is a very "urban" style of house, on a small lot, only 32 ft wide.)

Brooklyn
Nov 26, 2008, 3:28 PM
Lived for 7 years in a townhouse loft condo and moved last spring to a single detached house in Greenboro. It's more work for upkeep, no more hassles with other unit owners, a dysfunctional condo board, poor property management, etc. Given the added cost of living in condominiums (what with the high condo fees), it will be a long time before I move back to this kind of dwelling. (btw - My single house is a very "urban" style of house, on a small lot, only 32 ft wide.)

Aww, but see, my husband and I both LOVE living here. We've met many really fun and nice people and made good friends with them, we get along with everyone on our floor extremely well, commute to work is a breeze for both of us (20 mins of walking for him, 10 mins of bus for me), meeting up with friends in the market is completely hassle free (no driving, no parking, he can drink however much he wants), we went clubbing at minglewoods on halloween at 1:30am for 20 mins just 'cause we felt like it...if only I don't have that fear every day when I lock the door and leave for work that I may be coming back to a flood...

More transparency and more helpful attitude from Claridge would definitely help ease our minds too.

c_speed3108
Nov 26, 2008, 3:33 PM
Indeed it would be nice to see some changes such as condos having to be registered BEFORE anyone can move in.

I once heard a real estate agent say that they felt the optimal time to buy a condo is when the building is 3 years old. This way it is still new but all the crap has been sorted out.

Condos: Driving suburban single family home construction one crappy, annoying, money hungry developer at a time :haha:

I was thinking. There is a "condo" column in the Citizen - I think weekly where people write in questions. I think it might be a lawyer that writes it. This would be a good question for that.

Skyway
Nov 26, 2008, 5:43 PM

I am not sure it costs more to live in a condo when you factor in all the expenses. You pay for what you get and there is a wide variety of condo fee price ranges. For replacements, you receive volume discounts with a condo compared to a single owner home.

However, you're right its more of a lifestyle love it or hate it.

ottawaexile
Nov 26, 2008, 5:48 PM
Re: the Sunday night flood. My understanding is that it was a component failure in a major hot water pipe.

Had it been cold water, then there would have been a better chance of the supply being able to be turned off.

Re: the delay in the condo corporation. One really annoying thing with this is the interest rate that Claridge are allowed to charge, I believe it is around 7%, which really sucks when base rates are around 1.5%.

jitterbug
Nov 26, 2008, 7:51 PM
...we went clubbing at minglewoods on halloween at 1:30am for 20 mins just 'cause we felt like it...

I hear what you're saying. But I suspect you're a bit younger than my wife and me (we're in mid 40s). For us, late-night "clubbing" is not a priority (at 1:30 a.m., I'm typically in dreamland). A downtown condo lifestyle seems to appeal mostly to 20-somethings and retirees. Those of us in between (middle age) are more reclusive and irritable - we like our BBQs and private backyards. For me, the best neighbours are the ones who are quiet and who mind their own business. ;-)

c_speed3108
Nov 26, 2008, 8:46 PM
I am not sure it costs more to live in a condo when you factor in all the expenses. You pay for what you get and there is a wide variety of condo fee price ranges. For replacements, you receive volume discounts with a condo compared to a single owner home.

However, you're right its more of a lifestyle love it or hate it.

It just depends there is typically a fair bit of overhead to managing condos, although there is a fair benefit to not having to lift a finger on things outside your personal box.

As to condo fee prices ranges, developers know the fees tend to scare people away. Developers tend to do a few things about this.

1) One is underestimate the budget. They have to cover the difference the first year - after that the owners are left to absorb a fee increase that is often around 25-30% (with great variability)

2) The other thing they are doing minimizing expenses by limiting the common areas, have little to no grass and landscaping, and less services like supers. Unfortunately, as is the case in this discussion there is no free lunch - you do get what you pay for and while leaving out landscaping or outdoor lawns might not make a big difference, some loss of services like on site supers do sometimes come at a heavy price, in this case water damage.

The biggest change I would like to see to new condos would be a rule where the condo cooperation must be registered before anyone can move in. This way occupancy and closing would occur on the same day - like with houses. This would protect owners from paying interest and give them control over their home.

Mille Sabords
Dec 8, 2008, 1:49 AM
Earlier today, some views of the excavation (by moi). Forming, forming:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Ottawa/2008-12-07014.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Ottawa/2008-12-07015.jpg

This is one deep hole:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Ottawa/2008-12-07016.jpg

Coming west from Rideau:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Ottawa/2008-12-07013.jpg

And as a bonus, a Phase I beauty shot:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Ottawa/2008-12-07028.jpg

Brooklyn
Dec 11, 2008, 9:11 PM
Indeed it would be nice to see some changes such as condos having to be registered BEFORE anyone can move in.

That would be nice :)

Brooklyn
Dec 11, 2008, 9:22 PM
One really annoying thing with this is the interest rate that Claridge are allowed to charge, I believe it is around 7%, which really sucks when base rates are around 1.5%.

Yes the much higher interest rate was really annoying, among its many other annoying things to help the strong (builders) and hurt the weak (owners) are paying for the condo fees when none of the amenities are in usable condition (i.e., pool, gym), paying for Claridge's own lawyer fees at closing, delays for closing (we closed 6 months after moving in, that's almost $12000 on rent, ouch) etc...

This condo experience has certainly been an eye opener.

Brooklyn
Dec 11, 2008, 9:29 PM
I hear what you're saying. But I suspect you're a bit younger than my wife and me (we're in mid 40s). For us, late-night "clubbing" is not a priority (at 1:30 a.m., I'm typically in dreamland). A downtown condo lifestyle seems to appeal mostly to 20-somethings and retirees. Those of us in between (middle age) are more reclusive and irritable - we like our BBQs and private backyards. For me, the best neighbours are the ones who are quiet and who mind their own business. ;-)

Oh we definitely don't want to stay in a condo forever, the plan is to move to a house in a few years when we're ready to start a family, and may be come back as retirees :) I definitely don't want to sell this lifestyle to anyone, but it works for us now, I'm just annoyed at all the problems we've had so far - key being "so far", lol.

harls
Jan 20, 2009, 7:51 PM
Doesn't seem to be moving very fast, this one.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3500/3213517672_bf25e2c37c_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3318/3212675381_4b06ac8187_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3423/3212677521_9f41b92b29_b.jpg

AuxTown
Jan 21, 2009, 2:21 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3500/3213517672_bf25e2c37c_b.jpg

By far my favorite angle of this one. Looks too cheap from the Rideau side. The setbacks from this angle make it almost look like 2 thinner towers.

Davis137
Jan 21, 2009, 5:33 PM
I've driven past this site a couple of times recently...I agree that it IS a BIG hole in the ground.

kingcobra
Feb 4, 2009, 5:02 PM
Recently I received an e-mail from one of real estate agents whom I rather not name, and the agent informed me that some units from CP I were available for sale.

It sure got me bit puzzled because I thought all units in CP I were sold out.

YOWetal
Feb 4, 2009, 5:47 PM
Recently I received an e-mail from one of real estate agents whom I rather not name, and the agent informed me that some units from CP I were available for sale.

There are some re-sales already on MLS.

There have also been several rounds of flooding as a result of bursting pipes (not a good sign) so caution would be advisable.

Ottawade
Feb 4, 2009, 11:19 PM
There are some re-sales already on MLS.

There have also been several rounds of flooding as a result of bursting pipes (not a good sign) so caution would be advisable.

This seems to happen all the time with new buildings. Is it really that hard to engineer the heating so the pipes don't freeze?

Tor2Ott
Feb 4, 2009, 11:25 PM
This seems to happen all the time with new buildings. Is it really that hard to engineer the heating so the pipes don't freeze?

Is it that common for new buildings? I haven't heard anything from HP.

Skyway
Feb 11, 2009, 6:00 PM

This site keeps pretty much up to date. New condos are recently posted. Claridge I is already there.

http://www.condosottawa.com/Downtown/BywardMarket/200RideauStreet

waterloowarrior
Apr 1, 2009, 6:35 AM
southfacing
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3431/3392994753_88a3fe6f5c.jpg?v=0

Mille Sabords
May 5, 2009, 5:04 PM
Construction is now at ground level and should start soaring soon.

osirisboy
May 6, 2009, 1:37 AM
wow the interaction with the street is brutal other than the rideau side.

Davis137
May 10, 2009, 2:23 AM
I've noticed a lot more activity at this site lately, now that they are pretty much at grade level and should be able to start building the forms for the bottom of the tower soon...

kwoldtimer
May 10, 2009, 3:34 AM
wow the interaction with the street is brutal other than the rideau side.

I wonder if the second tower will be as bad as the first at street level?:yuck:

Mille Sabords
May 21, 2009, 1:53 AM
And we're off the ground. First forms poking upward now clearly visible from Rideau Street (my pics):

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Condos/2009-05-20002.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Condos/2009-05-20001.jpg

Incidentally - a good buddy of mine took his 8-yr-old daughter for a play date with one of her friends to Phase 1. This little friend's parents have a 2 bedroom + den condo, and one child. Both kids enjoyed the pool and the outdoor terrace, and ran around all day on that terrace. Little missy then begged dad to stay for supper and all enjoyed the meal on the balcony with the whole city at their feet. All went to bed happy. Is that a bad way to raise children?

waterloowarrior
May 23, 2009, 12:29 AM
Claridge Plaza I

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2475/3554765589_ac56cedd53_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2467/3555584730_2e928c3fc3_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3391/3555591004_1aa52f8afa_o.jpg

Beatrix
May 23, 2009, 2:36 AM
I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone know what else will be included in the podium? I suppose anything is better than a parking lot, but Rideau st is in desperate need of a mini face-lift and this is an excellent opportunity. Hopefully it doesn't go to waste with more low-grade retail.

jchamoun79
May 23, 2009, 3:08 AM
I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone know what else will be included in the podium? I suppose anything is better than a parking lot, but Rideau st is in desperate need of a mini face-lift and this is an excellent opportunity. Hopefully it doesn't go to waste with more low-grade retail.

Apparently a Starbucks will be opening where the sales centre currently is. That's what I was told, anyway, when I bought my unit.

Davis137
Jun 20, 2009, 6:01 PM
I saw last week that they have a good portion of the podium built now...only a matter of time until the tower starts going skywards...

Davis137
Jun 29, 2009, 4:52 PM
Looks like as of today, they are on the 3rd floor of the tower, and putting up the forms for the 4th.

Davis137
Jul 3, 2009, 1:12 PM
This tower is going to go up really fast...I can see them being upto the 6th or 7th floor by the end of the weekend, and before the end of the month, our view of Gatineau is going to be blocked that much more...

Rokko
Jul 9, 2009, 5:44 PM
Does anyone know the estimated completion date for tower two? I was told end of 2010, but it seems like it's going up really quickly now..

Skyway
Jul 10, 2009, 5:03 PM
Does anyone know the estimated completion date for tower two? I was told end of 2010, but it seems like it's going up really quickly now..

It took almost a year to finish after the 25th floor in Phase-I was laid. It takes about one week per floor now, so about 20 more weeks.

So the end of 2010 to finish still seems about right.

Davis137
Jul 11, 2009, 4:19 PM
I will try to get pics next week of the current progress (which I think is on the 6th or 7th floor now).

sky.high
Jul 13, 2009, 4:58 PM
I am not sure what the proper way of posting this information is, but here it is...

A guy at the Claridge Plaza sales office told me that they bought National Bank and a few other buildings around that area, in order to build phase III and IV.
I saw the design, and I must say, it is a really sexy building!!! Similar to the previous two phases, just taller buildings and skinnier. A lot of 1 bedroom and 1+den condos :)

Hopefully the sales will start this September, but it won't be finished until 2014! From what I saw, definitely worth the wait!

Tor2Ott
Jul 13, 2009, 5:16 PM
I am not sure what the proper way of posting this information is, but here it is...

A guy at the Claridge Plaza sales office told me that they bought National Bank and a few other buildings around that area, in order to build phase III and IV.
I saw the design, and I must say, it is a really sexy building!!! Similar to the previous two phases, just taller buildings and skinnier. A lot of 1 bedroom and 1+den condos :)

Hopefully the sales will start this September, but it won't be finished until 2014! From what I saw, definitely worth the wait!

Sexy? By Claridge? In Ottawa? Don't get our hopes up! If it looks anything like Phases I and II, I wouldn't consider it sexy.

Lots of 1B and 1+1 is not a good thing either. Chances are they will turn into rental buildings.

sky.high
Jul 13, 2009, 5:33 PM
To be honest with you, I am not a big fan of Claridge. The first two phases look OK from the outside, but I don't like their floorplans... I did not see the floorplans in the III and IV, but I can only imagine they will be similar to the first two! Let's hope they change up the design a lil bit :(
From what I saw on the picture, (the outside of the building) it looked kinda cool! I guess because they are so skinny (narrow) and TALL :) haha
The new phases will also have Gotham units (the big round window ones), penthouses on last 4 floors with a big terrace! I guess they made more 1 bed + den because they sold the fastest in the previous two phases... From what I can remember, I believe he said 4-6 units per floor?

rocketphish
Jul 13, 2009, 10:05 PM

I believe that this is the rendering for the next phases of Claridge Plaza. Sky.high, can you confirm this?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2442/3718516860_6555a01d41_o_d.jpg
(credit: DCYSA Architects (http://www.dcysa.ca))

Kitchissippi
Jul 14, 2009, 1:37 AM
:previous: The 4 storey high trees in that render is asking a bit much from nature. I think another pair of similar twin towers next door would make the Rideau Street skyline look tacky. I can't fathom owning one of those curved panoramic windows, only to look at somebody else's on the next corner

AuxTown
Jul 14, 2009, 3:08 AM
Is there going to be more phases of Claridge Plaza? I think these are likely just original renderings of what towers 1 and 2 should have looked like, but instead we got what's currently standing at Cumberland and Besserer. I don't completely hate these buildings, but I don't like how they are styled like taller towers despite being stubby. They should have accepted their stubiness and designed the towers accordingly.

sky.high
Jul 14, 2009, 4:27 PM
I believe that this is the rendering for the next phases of Claridge Plaza. Sky.high, can you confirm this?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2442/3718516860_6555a01d41_o_d.jpg
(credit: DCYSA Architects (http://www.dcysa.ca))

Yes, that's the one... Although in the picture that I have seen they looked taller than that... Maybe they added more floors?
I'm pretty sure the first two phases were supposed to look like that, but then they changed their minds... :rolleyes:

sky.high
Jul 14, 2009, 4:33 PM
I think these are likely just original renderings of what towers 1 and 2 should have looked like...

The plan was to build the other buildings (tall skinny ones), but IMO they got greedy and went with the bulkier and shorter building instead... Now they are even more greedy and actually want to build the one that was supposed to be built in the first place. The guy actually confirmed that they will be built.
My only concern is the view. Isn't it going to be blocked by east market building???
It might not be the prettiest building but then again, it's better than what they have there now...