PDA

View Full Version : Provo MSA Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

delts145
Dec 10, 2007, 12:18 PM
:tup: :tup: A bold, robust vision

Staff and students at UVSC seek $500K to make historic farmhouse a campus cafe

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site297/2007/1210/20071210__ut_bunnellcafe_1210~3_Gallery.jpg
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site297/2007/1210/20071210__ut_bunnellcafe_1210~1_Gallery.jpg
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site297/2007/1210/20071210__ut_bunnellcafe_1210~2_Gallery.jpg
Alex Caldiero, UVSC Artist in Residence, speaks with Helen Bunnell Weeks, age 81, about plans for a cafe in the house she grew up and was born in. The Bunnell Pioneer Home built in 1892 by Stephen and Mary Bunnell is what is left of a 60 acre farm in Orem and is now surrounded by the UVSC campus. It is the first home built in Orem. Some hope the building can be used as a cafe instead of a storage unit for desks and tools. The home features pioneer era building touches as well as an update adding skylights, modern restroom and kitchen. (Danny Chan La/The Salt Lake Tribune )

Erector
Dec 10, 2007, 9:18 PM
Dec. 10, 2007

800 Utah County acres poised for new development

By Barbara Rattle
The Enterprise

Approximately 800 acres straddling Mapleton and Spanish Fork in Utah County are poised for development.

At the mouth of Spanish Fork Canyon, five hundred acres owned by The Ensign-Bickford Co., a Simsbury, Conn.-based manufacturer of non-electric explosive initiation systems, are slated to become a mixed-use community with more than 1.4 million square feet of office space and 1,500 residential units. Three hundred acres in Mapleton are scheduled to become Mapleton Village, a residential development with 565 homes of various types.

The Spanish Fork project is a joint venture between EBCo., an arm of Ensign-Bickford, and Provo-based Presidio Capital LLC. The Mapleton acreage, development of which was approved last week by the Mapleton City Council, will be undertaken solely by Presidio Capital. RiverStone Design Group, a Park City land use design firm, is designing both projects.

As envisioned, the Spanish Fork development will be a mixed-use community with an economic development core, community facilities, residential areas and open space. The economic core will contain urban lofts, retail uses and businesses.

Erector
Dec 10, 2007, 9:20 PM
Work to begin on Commercial phase of Northgate Village

By Debbi Olson
The Enterprise

Northgate Village, a 65-acre mixed use residential and commercial community located on one of the largest undeveloped land parcels in the Provo/Orem area, is ready to break ground on the commercial phase of the project.

Development began about two years ago on approximately 400 residential townhomes, of which half have been built.

When completed, the entire Northgate Village will include approximately 700 residential units and more than 350,000 square feet of office and retail uses.

The first phase of the new retail/commercial area, located on 800 North just west of the I-15 freeway in Orem, will consist of a 72,500 square foot retail/office complex called Il Centro Piazza, following the Tuscan theme of the development.

Erector
Dec 10, 2007, 9:34 PM
Speaking of Orem, has anybody heard about the status of the 8 story office building at... I think it was 1600 North and I-15, but it might have been 800 North and I-15.???

Happy Valley Freak
Dec 10, 2007, 10:19 PM
That's the only thing Happy Valley. I'm just afraid they're going to put up something that has no attractive design element, and like you said, "just looks like an overpass."

exactly, if they were to do just that, it'd make the bridge and the lake an ugly eyesore, and it seems all they build is overpass like things here, GRR it drives me nuts how ugly those things are, they need something artistic and beautiful

Happy Valley Freak
Dec 10, 2007, 10:25 PM
I sincerely hope they don't build a causeway; they are an environmental nightmare as has proven to be the case with the great salt lake. I really don't like the idea of a road across utah lake in the first place but if they have to do it they need to be as environmentally friendly as possible, which means a bridge. I also agree that it should be a toll road. if you want to live in sprawl-burbia then you should fit some of the bill for roads to bring you into the city.

isnt the causeway the reason that parts of the lake are different colors?, idk but I definately dont want a causeway, hell no, thad be hella ugly!:yuck:

Happy Valley Freak
Dec 10, 2007, 10:34 PM
Something like this might be nice
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Brasilia_JK_bridge_pano.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Dsc06226_rio_antirio_bridge_monniaux.jpg

Happy Valley Freak
Dec 10, 2007, 10:35 PM
isnt the causeway the reason that parts of the lake are different colors?, idk but I definately dont want a causeway, hell no, thad be hella ugly!:yuck:

http://geochange.er.usgs.gov/sw/changes/anthropogenic/gsl/causewayphoto.jpg see like this! ewww!

Wasatch_One
Dec 10, 2007, 11:42 PM
Speaking of Orem, has anybody heard about the status of the 8 story office building at... I think it was 1600 North and I-15, but it might have been 800 North and I-15.???

I believe its twin 8 story buildings connected by an atrium and I drove past a week or so ago and noticed that they have put up a rendering sign on the property. I havent been past since... ill see if I can find anything in the Orem city agenda.

Happy Valley Freak
Dec 11, 2007, 1:01 AM
What do you guys think would look good over the lake???

Wasatch_One
Dec 11, 2007, 8:51 AM
honestly, a bridge would be awesome but lets get realistic, were not a metro of 5 million people! Money for a project like a bridge that spans the lake would be incredibly...im talking prohibitively expensive.

I think we'll be getting a causway if anything... If were lucky there may be some sort of bridge structure along some point of the causeway allowing boats and stuff to access the entire lake. That is my best guess.

SLCforme
Dec 11, 2007, 5:20 PM
Happyvalleyfreak,

Both of those bridges are beautiful, but I'm afraid Wasatch is right, there is no way we'll see anything like that over Utah Lake. Being that the lake is so shallow a causeway really would be cheap, but again if that's the way they go they had better at least put a short bridge segment (or maybe 2 or 3) in the causeway to allow water to flow freely throughout the lake, and also to allow boats to access the entire lake as well.

Erector
Dec 11, 2007, 9:29 PM
Your right SLCforme. I don't know how many remember back in the 1980's when this same issue arose. There was talk of building several islands that would become state parks. All would have access to the next by a series of causeways.

It was also brought up that Utah Lake should be diked across Goshen bay and the rest of the lake dredged with the hope that the lake would become a viable water storage during years of drought.

Fact is, and I'll do my best at paraphrasing a researcher, but basically the lake has a clock wise currant that moves from the Provo Bay area up and around toward the Jordan River. The Lake is high in phosphates and nitrogen and does have significant saline levels. Any hinderance to the historic flows would be catastrophic to the heath of the lake. Stagnation of the flows from SE to NW would basically kill the lake. Now environmentalist, love them or hate them would turn this into a Legacy Highway scenario on steroids if a causeway ends up as a solution to the access of the lake. I would love to see a large clear span bridge, but as refered to in an above post, West Lakers are not powerful enough, politically, to have 500 million dollars invested to their cause, yet.

Happy Valley Freak
Dec 12, 2007, 10:23 PM
Your right SLCforme. I don't know how many remember back in the 1980's when this same issue arose. There was talk of building several islands that would become state parks. All would have access to the next by a series of causeways.

It was also brought up that Utah Lake should be diked across Goshen bay and the rest of the lake dredged with the hope that the lake would become a viable water storage during years of drought.

Fact is, and I'll do my best at paraphrasing a researcher, but basically the lake has a clock wise currant that moves from the Provo Bay area up and around toward the Jordan River. The Lake is high in phosphates and nitrogen and does have significant saline levels. Any hinderance to the historic flows would be catastrophic to the heath of the lake. Stagnation of the flows from SE to NW would basically kill the lake. Now environmentalist, love them or hate them would turn this into a Legacy Highway scenario on steroids if a causeway ends up as a solution to the access of the lake. I would love to see a large clear span bridge, but as refered to in an above post, West Lakers are not powerful enough, politically, to have 500 million dollars invested to their cause, yet.

Your all very right, but still, I absoulutly hate the thought of a causeway on the lake:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: BARF! lol, can any1 think of an altrnateive?

Orlando
Dec 12, 2007, 11:21 PM
The people who were stupid enough to buy a house on the other side of the lake should deal with the consequences that their property is WAY OUT OF THE WAY! They knew this when buying the property. It's absurd that the people even think they have the right to propose a causeway that would mess up the environment of Utah Lake. There is plenty of open acreage on the provo side. Move there if they have a problem with the hour commute from where they are at. This is stupidity at its worst!

Erector
Dec 13, 2007, 12:32 AM
I tend to agree with you Orlando. These people moved out there for cheaper homes and to get away from the city. Yet is seems that they would like to have all of us absorb the cost of roads and access to their homes. I feel that if the Mountainview corridor does not alleviate their congestion, then they need to make new living arrangements.

Happy Valley Freak
Dec 13, 2007, 1:29 AM
I tend to agree with you Orlando. These people moved out there for cheaper homes and to get away from the city. Yet is seems that they would like to have all of us absorb the cost of roads and access to their homes. I feel that if the Mountainview corridor does not alleviate their congestion, then they need to make new living arrangements.

or maybe if they built more buissness there, people wouldn't have to commute

Happy Valley Freak
Dec 13, 2007, 1:34 AM
does any1 know whats going on over in PG with that Marriot Hotel and that development???

Erector
Dec 13, 2007, 2:56 AM
or maybe if they built more buissness there, people wouldn't have to commute

True, but I think the problem that they are having with getting business to locate out there is the fact that they do not have viable access ways in and out of the community, Catch 22. Small retail, grocery, convenience, and some service providers like dental, insurance, auto repair and such would do well there, but large employee base business might not feel that it is a good location. This is all an assumption, maybe someone in Northwest UV knows what industries might be planned out there or if I'm just talking out my hole.:frog:

SLC Projects
Dec 13, 2007, 7:03 AM
does any1 know whats going on over in PG with that Marriot Hotel and that development???

:previous:
Yea there's NOTHING going on with that hotel and ground was broken way back in Aug. I think both Embassy Hotel in Pleasant Grove and the 222 South Main project in Salt Lake should have a race to see who will get their building up first. Careful this race could be 50-years in the making. :haha:

Wasatch_One
Dec 13, 2007, 9:07 AM

Its a battle between PG and Provo... PG wanted to give the *idea* that everything was in order so that Provo would stop pursuing building a convention center of its own... however, I knew this would happen... I am 100% positive that the developer of the PG project is going to ask for more money and its going to blow the whole development.... guess what, Im happy about that. A county convention center shouldn't be in PG... theyre cherry picking, just like Sandy is doing to SLC.

I think the PG Conv Ctr project is dead especially if Provo gets their act together in a timely fashion.

delts145
Dec 13, 2007, 1:02 PM
In many ways I hope your right Wasatch. I would definately prefer to see Provo develop a major convention facility for the Valley first, rather than Pleasant Grove. Down the road in five to ten years, a secondary center would probably be acceptable. Before a secondary center though, I would like to see Provo receive its expanded airport, and of course the expansion of I-15, Geneva Road, and Commuter Rail.

I took the opportunity to drive around Provo a little the other day while I was there. It was exciting to see so many projects under way. This gave me a definite feel that Provo is moving along in a very dynamic direction. I was particularly bowled over by the number of projects along North Provo's University Ave. Also, after viewing the area in which the Southgate Center is going in, I think that would be a good area for that particular style of development. It will definately give Provo a needed edge over Orem for the Southern Valley market of growing cities like Springville and Spanish Fork.

In addition to what is going on now at the Eastern side of Downtown, I am anxious to see 1st no. more densely developed. Also the Western end around Albertsons has great gateway potential.

delts145
Dec 13, 2007, 1:19 PM
UDOT seeks comments on plans to widen I-15

http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/4913935.jpg

UDOT's preferred alternative would be to widen the freeway from the Bangerter Highway interchange to the University Parkway interchange to 12 lanes, six lanes each way. From University Parkway to the U.S. 6 inerchange in Spanish Fork, the freeway would be widened to 10 lanes and from Benjamin to south Payson widened to six lanes...

:psycho: Whoa!!!! 12 lanes from Bangerter to the University Parkway. That's one honkin wide freeway!!! And a new Geneva Parkway, 800 No. Parkway, and Commuter Rail. WhoooHooo, Provo/Orem is going to BOOM big time.

SLC Projects
Dec 13, 2007, 5:44 PM

UDOT's preferred alternative would be to widen the freeway from the Bangerter Highway interchange to the University Parkway interchange to 12 lanes, six lanes each way. From University Parkway to the U.S. 6 inerchange in Spanish Fork, the freeway would be widened to 10 lanes and from Benjamin to south Payson widened to six lanes...

:psycho: Whoa!!!! 12 lanes from Bangerter to the University Parkway. That's one honkin wide freeway!!! And a new Geneva Parkway, 800 No. Parkway, and Commuter Rail. WhoooHooo, Provo/Orem is going to BOOM big time.

Well it's about time. Driving I-15 down in Utah Country can be hell sometimes. But instead of starting from Bangerter Highway and head South. Udot should really start from 10600 South were they lefted off six years ago with the first I-15 widening project and work their way all the way to Provo. And don't stop there also go north all the way up to Ogden. :tup:

urbanboy
Dec 13, 2007, 7:50 PM
Whoa!!!! 12 lanes from Bangerter to the University Parkway. That's one honkin wide freeway!!! And a new Geneva Parkway, 800 No. Parkway, and Commuter Rail. WhoooHooo, Provo/Orem is going to BOOM big time.

...and look as it did when Geneva Steel was in operation. :koko: Also, I wouldnt' necessarily call it a BOOM, but a BLAH of urban sprawl. Those townships affected, better put in urban growth boundaries while they still have the chance. :whip: Why do we continue to build this way!? :gaah:

SmilingBob
Dec 13, 2007, 8:20 PM
... :whip: Why do we continue to build this way!? :gaah:

Because we all want our 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots that we can afford. When we add about 20,000 people per year to the valley, where else do we put them? Not everyone wants to live in a townhome or apartment. Too much of that begins to look ugly also.

Erector
Dec 13, 2007, 9:11 PM
I partially agree with you urbanboy. Cities such as Philadelphia, Kansas City, Washington DC, and several other older urban areas have imposed county wide or even metro wide design schemes. Meaning that from the CBD going outward we find high density residential followed by industial and manufacturing areas, then followed by green belts and parks, then lower density residential and so forth.

The problem with newer or developing metro's is that smaller burgs and surrounding agricultural areas produce cheap land thus spawling neighborhoods. Soon the individual cities fight for tax base and businesses, then we see a overall county wide hodge podge and smatterings of commercial, med range residential, high end residential, retail, big box, all within blocks of each other.

So, unless you can change the mindset of peoples thinking, or eqaully share the bounty of the commercial tax base with smaller or bedroom communities in the valley, you will continue to see the same thing until a countywide/metrowide design approach is implemented. Other views?

SLC Projects
Dec 13, 2007, 9:32 PM
Wow not to be rube but some of you people need to wake up and get out of your urban only dream world. Especially urbanboy. Sorry this isn't Europe people. There are not trains that can take you everywhere. This is America where there is Sprawl in every Metro! You have your downtown and then there's miles and mile of Sprawl cities. Deal with it and quit bitching. After all we have to drive our big SUV's and Trucks and live on two acre lots. :koko:
Not EVERYTHING can be downtown or otherwise udot would have to built 24 lane freeways so everyone can drive to work downtown since ALL the office buildings HAVE to be downtown. But yet when Udot talks about widening the I-15 to 12 lanes down to Utah Country the bitching goes on. I guess some people don't mind siting in a three lane parking lot.
Sorry hate to say it but Utah is having a building boom and there are alot of new houses getting built down on the Southern end of the Salt Lake valley. And what? They are have to have jobs, go shopping, ect. So there's a huge demand for Office buildings and retail to get built down in that part of the Valley. And also for Utah Country. Again EVERYTHING can't be downtown.
If it was then our roads would REALLY be a mess. Again not trying to be rube. But I'm just facing the fasts.

delts145
Dec 13, 2007, 9:58 PM
Because we all want our 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots that we can afford. When we add about 20,000 people per year to the valley, where else do we put them? Not everyone wants to live in a townhome or apartment. Too much of that begins to look ugly also.

Bravo Smiling Bob :tup: When everything is only one way and no choices exist, it becomes very ugly. And THANKYOU Projects. Both of us being European, I think we understand that variety,"urban density mixed with towns such as Draper or Highland is the way to go."

I see Utah County as NOW, doing an excellent job of planning. I'm talking about the individual city councils in towns like Alpine, Highland, Cedar Hills, Pleasant Grove, Springville and so on. I've have been EXTREMELY impressed with the leadership in these communties and the seriousness with which they take on their city growth resposibilities. (and Erector I'm not disagreeing at all with you, most everything you are saying I think is very valid.) Freakin Of course I-15 is being expanded, "DUH, and more DUH." Everything is not black and white, and there are a myriad of infinite fire's to put out at this time of our hyper growth situation. No one is more fastidious than me about development, and again I am impressed with the level of responsibility with which these many disparate communties are coming together with their planning. And why the Hell should there only be piss and moan about the MUUUUCH needed expansion of I-15 and not even a murmur of delight about the fact of COMMUTER RAIL being installed in such a timely manner.

Erector
Dec 13, 2007, 10:01 PM
Good Gawd SLC, pull the screwdriver out of your pocket. Why do you suppose urban planners nation wide are implementing programs such as Invision Utah and such? Because urban sprawl leads to freeways, freeways lead to pollution. Large homes in sprawling neighborhoods lead to grass, and grass leads to water usage. Our dependence on the automoble leads people to Eagle Mountain, then they bitch about needing access across Utah Lake. So lets build a bridge. To build for the sake of building is what seperates us from Europe.

By the way, good post Delts!

Northernlad
Dec 13, 2007, 10:35 PM

Mmmmmmmmmm. I guess I am going to have to research and see if a bunch of interstate lanes are going to assist a city with Booming. :shrug:
So much for our light rail and trains if something as idioitic as this is built.

delts145
Dec 13, 2007, 10:51 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm. I guess I am going to have to research and see if a bunch of interstate lanes are going to assist a city with Booming. :shrug:
So much for our light rail and trains if something as idioitic as this is built.

:koko: Right, a Valley that will soon have a million people and experiencing one of the fastest growth rates in the nation doesn't need to upgrade it's current freeway. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this will greatly benefit the Provo and Orem business exchange with Salt Lake. AND AGAIN, as if it hasn't been announced enough, "commuter rail is a reality and is being built before the freeway overhaul." Utah Valley is going to need this I-15 upgrade every bit as much as Salt Lake Valley did.

Northernlad
Dec 13, 2007, 10:55 PM
Right, a Valley that will soon have a million people and experiencing one of the fastest growth rates in the nation doesn't need to upgrade it's current freeway. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this will greatly benefit the Provo and Orem business exchange with Salt Lake. AND AGAIN, as if it hasn't been announced enough, "commuter rail is a reality and is being built before the freeway overhaul." Utah Valley is going to need this I-15 upgrade every bit as much as Salt Lake Valley did.

You are too serious about this forum. :haha:

delts145
Dec 13, 2007, 11:23 PM
Your reading waaay too much in to my response Northernlad. There is definately such a thing as appropriate growth. Although, I will admit to being somewhat confused by your attitude that improved highways along with commuter rail is somehow idiotic.

I have seen numerous posts bemoaning the inadequate freeway system of Treasure Valley, and how desperatly the Boise forumers would love light and heavy rail and an expanded, upgraded freeway. I'm thinking Northernlad, you would probably celebrate this same news of an expanded, state-of-the-art freeway along with commuter rail if it were happening in Boise. Yet, since it's happening in Utah Valley it's just, "idiotic." Hmmmmmmmmmm, interesting.

Northernlad
Dec 13, 2007, 11:32 PM
Your reading waaay too much in to my response Northernlad. There is definately such a thing as appropriate growth. Although, I will admit to being somewhat confused by your attitude that improved highways along with commuter rail is somehow idiotic.

I have seen numerous posts bemoaning the inadequate freeway system of Treasure Valley, and how desperatly the Boise forumers would love light and heavy rail and an expanded, upgraded freeway. I'm thinking Northernlad, you would probably celebrate this same news of an expanded, state-of-the-art freeway along with commuter rail if it were happening in Boise. Yet, since it's happening in Utah Valley it's just. "idiotic" Hmmmmmmmmmm, interesting.

:haha: :haha: You are just too much Delts. Give it up. I am sorry you are offended I post in Boise forums. I am not reading into your post too much, but rather trying to negotiate through the fonts. In retreospect, you are trying to read into my post too much.;)
I am a Utah native and have grown up here and live here, so I have the right to state my opinion. You don't own this thread or any of the other Utah threads.

State-of-the-art freeway?:koko:

My issue is that 12 lanes is too big. Don't I have the right to express my opinion without offending you with your "lets turn the Wasatch Front into L.A." attitude?
Appropriate growth means different things to different people.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, your attitude and vision for my state is interesting.

delts145
Dec 14, 2007, 12:02 AM
Nothernlad, Why would anyone care if you post in a Boise thread? I'm very happy that you post there. I'm not offended, I am just genuinely curious as to why you define most things Utah as idiotic or in a negative light. I don't mean this as a challenge or to be offensive to you, but you know that if we were to line up all of your past posts in regard to Utah, they would be almost entirely uber-negative. Now, it's great that you feel positive about Idaho or anywhere else. I'm just curious,(maybe even amused) as to the constant negative attitude toward Utah.

Also, while I am originally from Europe and have lived there a great deal and have also lived in Los Angeles for a number of years, I grew up as a child in Alpine, and have lived in Salt Lake and Utah Valley part-time my entire life.

If you feel that Utah is growing way too fast and is out of control, then I understand why the anxiety. I just feel positive that this growth we are experiencing is coming at a time when we won't make many of the same mistakes that were made in L.A. during the 60's and 70's. I have posted that thought, and what I feel we are doing right vs. L.A.'s mistakes of the past, many times before.

Happy Valley Freak
Dec 14, 2007, 4:49 AM
Wow not to be rube but some of you people need to wake up and get out of your urban only dream world. Especially urbanboy. Sorry this isn't Europe people. There are not trains that can take you everywhere. This is America where there is Sprawl in every Metro! You have your downtown and then there's miles and mile of Sprawl cities. Deal with it and quit bitching. After all we have to drive our big SUV's and Trucks and live on two acre lots. :koko:
Not EVERYTHING can be downtown or otherwise udot would have to built 24 lane freeways so everyone can drive to work downtown since ALL the office buildings HAVE to be downtown. But yet when Udot talks about widening the I-15 to 12 lanes down to Utah Country the bitching goes on. I guess some people don't mind siting in a three lane parking lot.
Sorry hate to say it but Utah is having a building boom and there are alot of new houses getting built down on the Southern end of the Salt Lake valley. And what? They are have to have jobs, go shopping, ect. So there's a huge demand for Office buildings and retail to get built down in that part of the Valley. And also for Utah Country. Again EVERYTHING can't be downtown.
If it was then our roads would REALLY be a mess. Again not trying to be rube. But I'm just facing the fasts.

I absoulutly agree, if everything was downtown we'd be screwed, i'm sorry but 2 million ppl cant all get on the I-15 and drive downtown to work every morning, that would just be rediculus, ;)

Happy Valley Freak
Dec 14, 2007, 4:52 AM
[QUOTE=delts145;3225930]Bravo Smiling Bob :tup: When everything is only one way and no choices exist, it becomes very ugly. And THANKYOU Projects. Both of us being European, I think we understand that variety,"urban density mixed with towns such as Draper or Highland is the way to go."

I see Utah County as NOW, doing an excellent job of planning. I'm talking about the individual city councils in towns like Alpine, Highland, Cedar Hills, Pleasant Grove, Springville and so on.

HA HA! but not American Fork!, grrr traffic here is total BS! grrr, and I don't see much being done about it either

delts145
Dec 14, 2007, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=delts145;3225930]
I see Utah County as NOW, doing an excellent job of planning. I'm talking about the individual city councils in towns like Alpine, Highland, Cedar Hills, Pleasant Grove, Springville and so on.

HA HA! but not American Fork!, grrr traffic here is total BS! grrr, and I don't see much being done about it either

:haha: You're right Happy Valley. American Fork and Lehi have added a huge amount of commercial in a very short time. But hey, the Northern Valley is in for a huge amount of road expansion and upgrades over the next few years. I shop at the Meadows regularly because it's so convenient. There have only been a couple of times when I have encountered traffic that was over-the- top congested. But yes, we are definately going to need all of the improvements which are coming, "Lehi especially."

delts145
Dec 14, 2007, 11:53 AM

speaking of which,

American Fork - More lanes, newer interchanges, more convenience

Widening of I-15 is debated

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695235993,00.html

Erector
Dec 14, 2007, 3:05 PM
I absoulutly agree, if everything was downtown we'd be screwed, i'm sorry but 2 million ppl cant all get on the I-15 and drive downtown to work every morning, that would just be rediculus, ;)

I have gone back now three pages looking for a quote or post that say's "everything" should be downtown. I don't see it.

SLC Projects
Dec 14, 2007, 5:32 PM
the way Utah county is growing the county will need all the above...

1. commuter rail
2. light rail
3. 1-15 widening to 12 lanes. ( Just like in Salt Lake )
4. Redwood road will need to be widen on the westside of utah lake.
5. East-West freeway/highway ( MVC )
5. walking/biking paths or tails
6. No bridge over that lake!!! ( to built anything of a Icon bridge of that size over a lake will cost waaaaaay to much )

We don't need just one or the other. But we are going to need all these in place to keep up with the growth.

urbanboy
Dec 14, 2007, 6:26 PM

You don't widen roads to solve congestion! That's like loosening your belt to solve obesity! We don't NEED to widen I-15 or Redwood road especially!

Also, it might be good to put street-cars on your list

Northernlad
Dec 14, 2007, 6:59 PM

You don't widen roads to solve congestion! That's like loosening your belt to solve obesity! We don't NEED to widen I-15 or Redwood road especially!

Most Excellent Point, Urbanboy. But, be careful with what you say here:whisper: Some have the attitude that 12 lanes is like a gift from the heavens.

SLC Projects
Dec 14, 2007, 7:51 PM
Most Excellent Point, Urbanboy. But, be careful with what you say here:whisper: Some have the attitude that 12 lanes is like a gift from the heavens.

Give me a break, it's not a gift from the heavens, it's just common sense. Unless you enjoy being stuck in traffic on only a 3 lane freeway during rush hour.

And adding street cars could work as well. Like I said all the above. But roads need to be widen cus we utahns have to drive our car everywhere. :sly:

delts145
Dec 15, 2007, 4:01 PM
Lehi unites in purpose for south boulevard thoroughfare

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/247470/14/

http://www.heraldextra.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=98385&g2_serialNumber=2
Alan and Laurie Johnson (left) of Saratoga Springs look over a map of the east-west connector with the assistance of UDOT consultant Dennis Naillon during an open house in Lehi.

While divisiveness hounds UDOT's 2100 North freeway proposal in Lehi, with its neighbors opposing the city's alternative bid for a 4800 North freeway, there is unity in purpose for UDOT's Lehi south boulevard thoroughfare.

"Let's get it built," seemed a sentiment most common at Thursday's UDOT meeting, an open house to give north county residents information on a proposed east-west connector from Redwood Road to Interstate 15. More than 100 people attended.

urbanboy
Dec 15, 2007, 8:25 PM

Does anyone know whether or not this Boulevard will be a multi-modal thoroughfare?

delts145
Dec 20, 2007, 12:12 PM
Growth changing face of Utah County

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695237606,00.html

The Utah Population Estimates Committee last month announced that Utah County is home to over 500,000 people. And the county's demographics are swiftly changing, too, according to the estimates committee.

delts145
Dec 20, 2007, 12:52 PM
Pleasant Grove residents contest 10-story downtown building

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/249539/

Spencer said the building would be approximately 440,000 square feet, with 20 retail units on the first floor, office space on the second floor, eight floors of condominiums and 550 underground parking stalls. Construction could begin as early as July 2008. The project will give the city's historic neighborhood an economic boost, he said.

"The idea is to have several hundred people living in the downtown area to revitalize downtown."

According to downtown resident Mark Riddle, two neighborhood meetings were held last week to discuss the proposed project.

delts145
Dec 20, 2007, 1:13 PM
UDOT reveals specific plans for future I-15

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/249271/17/

The reconstruction of I-15 is expected to cost three and a quarter billion dollars if funded today, and will only get more expensive as time goes on, said Geoff Dupaix of UDOT.

UDOT believes they may be able to keep three lanes of traffic open in each direction during the entire construction project, good news for commuters, he said. The project would add two lanes in each direction from Bangerter Highway to Payson, and rebuild or revamp every intersection of the freeway in Utah County.

SLC Projects
Dec 20, 2007, 5:43 PM

Spencer said the building would be approximately 440,000 square feet, with 20 retail units on the first floor, office space on the second floor, eight floors of condominiums and 550 underground parking stalls. Construction could begin as early as July 2008. The project will give the city's historic neighborhood an economic boost, he said.

"The idea is to have several hundred people living in the downtown area to revitalize downtown."

According to downtown resident Mark Riddle, two neighborhood meetings were held last week to discuss the proposed project.

I say good for you P.G with all your new midrise/highrise projects. I don't see what's so bad about this 10-story building. :shrug:

It's about time we are starting to see more utah cities starting to build up. P.G. will soon have it's own little skyline with this 10-story building and the 14-story hotel. :tup:

Good things about this project.
1. Eight floors will have Condo space so people can live downtown.
2. It will have underground parking
3. It will be a economic boost.
4. It will have ground level retail ( 20 retail units )
5. It will be 10-stories.

Will this building replace any of the historic buildings? Will any historic get torn down. Poeple just go way out of their own way and find things to bitch about. For those people who don't like things to get deveolop around them I say move up to the wyoming farm lands where there's no buildings for miles. It's called growth people and we are seeing alot of it here in Utah. Get used to it.

wrendog
Dec 20, 2007, 6:09 PM
How dare they build anything over 5 stories outside of the downtown SLC core!!! Don't they understand?????? Greedy developer bastards!

:) :)

urbanboy
Dec 20, 2007, 6:49 PM

I don't have a problem with this development. It sounds to me like PG is catching on to the ethics of Urban Planning. Maybe next they'll establish an urban growth boundary.

:) :)

wrendog
Dec 20, 2007, 6:54 PM
Dangit! I wanted to start a fight with you urbanboy! You blew it! :)

SLC Projects
Dec 20, 2007, 6:59 PM
Dangit! I wanted to start a fight with you urbanboy! You blew it! :)

LOL. yea I thought urbanboy was going to say something bad about it. But I think most of us on here will agree that this will be good for downtown P.G.
I'm happy the way P.G. is heading with most of their new projects. :tup:

Wasatch_One
Dec 20, 2007, 11:13 PM
I think this building would be out of place in little PG. I would like maybe 3 130,000 sq ft buildings in place of one massive, squat, 400,000 sq ft building.

And as a reference point, the *proposed* converntion center hotel is probably 3 miles away, so nowhere near this project location. But im not worried, cause the CC hotel will never get built.

I used to live in PG for a few years when I was young. It has a quaint little downtown with quite a few historic buildings. I would like to see them revitalize their main st in other way besides plopping down a big sucker like this project.

Erector
Dec 20, 2007, 11:19 PM

I definately like the idea. It will of course bring in a significant amount of traffic. If it is located by a major thru-way or future transit hub then I see it as a total win-win. I am not to familiar with downtown PG.

SLC Projects
Dec 22, 2007, 4:23 AM
I had to drive down to Orem today to pick up my sister. It's been awhile since I've been down there. Anyways while driving pass exit 275 ( The P.G. exit.) I notice that the field where that 14-story hotel will go crews have broken up the dirt and about to lay in underground pipes. So It looks like the project is still a go, but just going at a slow rate. ( Kind of like 222 South Main. ) :tup:

Also Tried out that place that is alot like "In and Out burger" ( Whatever it's called ) Damn that is good. I might come down more then. LOL But I still hate the roads down there. :yes:

delts145
Dec 22, 2007, 1:46 PM
I think this building would be out of place in little PG. I would like maybe 3 130,000 sq ft buildings in place of one massive, squat, 400,000 sq ft building.

And as a reference point, the *proposed* converntion center hotel is probably 3 miles away, so nowhere near this project location. But im not worried, cause the CC hotel will never get built.

I used to live in PG for a few years when I was young. It has a quaint little downtown with quite a few historic buildings. I would like to see them revitalize their main st in other way besides plopping down a big sucker like this project.

Wasatch is right on this one guys, particurlarly in regard to the location of the building itself. I would be very supportive of an attractive, ten-story mixed-use in many other areas of Pleasant Grove, but not this location. As Wasatch pointed out, this is a very intimate and quaint streetscape, "intimate,even by many other cities in Utah Valley." While the need and potential exists to pump new life into this charming Main Street, a ten story building,(probably of questionable design and especially exterior treatment) doesn't fit well at all on this proposed lot. Perhaps, with a serious out-of-the-box design it could work. I'm going to talk with the developer and look at his renderings. I'll report back, if allowable.

Just as a side note, Pleasant Grove is no longer in the small town category. P.G. is already well in to the 35,000-plus category, and booming like crazy. Thousand's of new residents are being added to the west side of State Street and northwest bench areas. The Pleasant Grove City Council is very aggressive in their residential and commercial growth ambitions. They have also shown a keen sense of preserving the surprising amount of historical and very beautiful architecture, which fills the historic core of the town.

delts145
Dec 22, 2007, 3:19 PM
Lehi mayor fighting freeway plans with confidence

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/249724/

"It" is the controversial Mountain View Corridor. Undaunted by political opposition and pressure from state planners, Lehi Mayor Howard Johnson is trying to win friends and influence people to see the future of transportation Lehi's way.

Orlando
Dec 22, 2007, 4:25 PM
'That's like loosening your belt to solve obesity!' :haha: :haha:

Funny! Urban Boy. It actually sounds like a very good analogy about widening freeways to solve traffic congestion.

Viperlord
Dec 22, 2007, 6:37 PM
Some of you Utah Valley people may appreciate this. I got the following blurb from an e-mail with a developer in the Utah Valley area earlier this week.....

"There are many high rises slated for PG by the freeway exit. Just last week
a 24 story building came into DRC."

DRC= Design Review Committee

SLC Projects
Dec 23, 2007, 6:58 AM
"There are many high rises slated for PG by the freeway exit. Just last week
a 24 story building came into DRC."

DRC= Design Review Committee

That's going to piss alot of people off.

So that now makes it 4 new mid-highrises in P.G.

1. 14-story hotel
2. 10-story hotel
3. 10-story mix use tower
4. 24-story tower

Wasatch_One
Dec 23, 2007, 9:51 AM
all pipe dreams...

SLC Projects
Dec 23, 2007, 5:51 PM
Not all Pipe dreams...The 14-story Hotel has broken ground and crews are laying in utilities lines and pipes underground so that project is in the works. As for the other proposed highrises, those are still in the planning stages so those could be only dreams. But all projects start out as dreams and visions. LOL.

Lehi and P.G. are both thinking "BIG" and I think that has gotten alot of City leaders in Provo nervous. I think the program is that alot of these bigger cities like Salt Lake and Provo don't ever take these other smaller cities such as Sandy, Lehi or P.G. seriously when they start talking about building highrise. So they just do what seems like nothing saying "Oh it's just a pipe dream" or "it will never get built" But when these city leaders turn back around before they know it ground has been broken and these so called pipe dreams are now under construction.
Case and point...Provo needs to wake up and step it up. If little P.G. or Lehi can get these highrises then Provo sure as hell could also. But yet all Provo has plan right now is a few 10-stories buildings. Sure it's a start, but come on let's built a little higher.
When is Provo going to get some of these "pipe dreams"? Does Provo dare to build anything taller then 10 stories? :shrug:

delts145
Dec 23, 2007, 9:47 PM
^^^
If indeed the 14 story hotel,convention center, and upscale lifestyle center becomes a reality, then Pleasant Grove will definately become a big magnet for North and Central Utah Valley. It's geographic location is probably just to good to ignore. I wonder what they figure the build-out population of Pleasant Grove will be?

As far as Provo building taller. Didn't Poodle and Wasatch say there was something in the works with NuSkin, and will probably be announced soon?

Wasatch_One
Dec 24, 2007, 7:03 AM
Not all Pipe dreams...The 14-story Hotel has broken ground and crews are laying in utilities lines and pipes underground so that project is in the works. As for the other proposed highrises, those are still in the planning stages so those could be only dreams. But all projects start out as dreams and visions. LOL.

Lehi and P.G. are both thinking "BIG" and I think that has gotten alot of City leaders in Provo nervous. I think the program is that alot of these bigger cities like Salt Lake and Provo don't ever take these other smaller cities such as Sandy, Lehi or P.G. seriously when they start talking about building highrise. So they just do what seems like nothing saying "Oh it's just a pipe dream" or "it will never get built" But when these city leaders turn back around before they know it ground has been broken and these so called pipe dreams are now under construction.
Case and point...Provo needs to wake up and step it up. If little P.G. or Lehi can get these highrises then Provo sure as hell could also. But yet all Provo has plan right now is a few 10-stories buildings. Sure it's a start, but come on let's built a little higher.
When is Provo going to get some of these "pipe dreams"? Does Provo dare to build anything taller then 10 stories? :shrug:

Lee, I agree with you a lot of the time, but there is a lot more than we know that goes into developing these projects.

I will guarantee that PG comes back to the County or the Developer comes back to PG leaders saying they need more money, which will kill the project.

Look at how long it has taken Hamilton Partners to build a little 22 story building...uh, yeah... 10 YEARS!!!.

The hotel and convention center "broke ground" to get the psychological edge... they didnt really break ground. The utilities and pipes that you saw going in, need to go in no matter what... remember there is also suposed to be a million sq. ft. mall on that same property. Oh, and it "broke ground" already too... about 3 years ago. Same with the big mall at Traverse Mountain.

We need to remember that Provo had a well respected San Fransisco company do a study on Provo and see what it could accomodate in the downtown area. A developer cant just slap down a 30 story building and expect it to fly... Its hard enought getting a building in SLC, where most of the states business is done, let alone a smaller city just 40 miles south.

The P.G. area will be developed, but as for these huge projects... I bet 90% of them, we never see.

delts145
Dec 24, 2007, 1:08 PM

Never say never Wasatch ;) We Americans tend to be an impatient bunch as far as wanting these great visions built now. I know, I'm definately among the guilty. I don't know if both Pleasant Grove and Thanksgiving Point will both see this huge build-up, but I'm willing to bet that one of the two will. I agree with you that many projects sure do seem to take their own sweet time. I do think that the 400 to 600 ft. towers are well on their way, and perhaps a few will be announced in the next couple of years. It's easy to forget how far the Wasatch Front has come in just the last ten years. Man, I remember just a short while ago that we could hardly get any repect on this forum, as a major metro on the move. There were more than our fair share of detractors and snide remarks amongst certain forumers. Now, those same people are often strangely quiet, or begrudgingly acknowledge that the Wasatch must be reckoned with. Before,during,and since the Olympics this Metro has exploded in population growth,labor,transportion and structural development. We have passed many metros in population and a number of key segments, metros who historically have been larger than the Wasatch. We are now poised to catch up with certain other Metro's within the next ten years, and some we will just pass them by. I wouldn't even venture to name which ones, for fear of creating a lot of hand wringing, and a few very shrill posts. Anyway, it couldn't come at a better time,as far as I'm concerned. We have learned much from areas like L.A. and many of the mistakes made during the growth of the 50's,60's and 70's. As much as many are uncomfortable with the thought of The Wasatch soon reaching 3 million, then 4, and then 5 million, at least we will be doing it on the back of mass-transit,vibrant urban cores, and electric automobiles.

TOD's are the fashion, and I think will be particularly prevalent and dramatic along the Wasatch. As the population continues to surge forward, so will the height and density of our Urban downtowns and the many TOD's in between.

Erector
Dec 26, 2007, 5:10 PM
High-Rise Towers In Sandy, Utah?
Sandy, Utah – Salt Lake City, Utah’s capital, not unexpectedly has the tallest buildings in the state in its downtown area, but that may not be the case five years from now. Developer Utah Pacific Holdings has purchased land at the southern end of the Salt Lake Valley, near the Sandy city hall, where it hopes to erect two buildings that could stand nearly 30 stories tall, making them the tallest in the state.

Utah Pacific has not finalized plans for the buildings and is currently attempting to secure financing for the project on a site that 15 years ago was nothing but a large field. "It is a very exciting project," said Utah Pacific spokeswoman Sharon Cook. "The thought of being able to bring something of this caliber — the metropolitan feel to the area — would be completely unique."

This is from the latest Rocky Mountain Construction magazine.

I know this is a Utah Valley thread and maybe I shouldn't post this here, but since the Wasatch Front building boom was mentioned above, I thought I would see what some of the reaction might be. It will be interesting to see the possible state of Utah tallest in Sandy, only to be overtaken by the Gehry/ Anderson building in Lehi. My how things are a change'n.

delts145
Dec 27, 2007, 1:58 AM
^^^
Seems like everone wants their share of the tax income pie.

delts145
Dec 27, 2007, 2:09 PM
:tup: :tup: Beautiful New Hale Center Theatre for Midtown Village in Orem

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695238918,00.html

http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/4824299.jpg
The new theater will have 522 seats and 39,686 square feet of space.(Nathan Hale)

http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/4824294.jpg
Artist's drawing of the $7.5 million Hale Center Theater Orem to be built at Midtown Village. (Artwork by Kinateder Inc.)

http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/4824284.jpg
The new theater, like the old one, will be a theater in the round. (Artwork by Kinateder Inc.)

delts145
Dec 27, 2007, 2:25 PM
OREM - Donations, tax revitalize SCERA center

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695238919,00.html

Theater floors devoid of gum and sticky soda residue, cup holders accompanying new chairs, lavish hand-painted art deco walls with matching carpeting - it's a whole new era for the SCERA.

http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/4890658.jpg
http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/4890682.jpg
The lobby in the SCERA Center for the Arts in Orem has been fully remodeled. More improvements are expected throughout the building. (Jason Olson, Deseret Morning News)

poodledoodledude
Jan 2, 2008, 10:09 PM
i don't know you guys...i'm thinking i'm with wasatch on this one....

even though other buildings--HIGHRISES are going in at other parts of the valleys along our little wasatch front, to me, it doesnt mean that those communities are building a central core to their city. orem has some 8 story building in their city, but where is the TRUE center of orem?? i don't consider the "center" of the city, just an address of 5 north state street. to me, the "central" core of orem is :

there is none. some consider univ. mall the "center" because that's where everyone goes. i remember thinking that orem center street was NORTH orem. it seems SOOOO far out of the way. but, you ask about provo, and guess what? it's the center of the city. it's the "downtown" of provo that has that feel. granted, it's a bit older, and rundown, but when developers start to develop in the "center" of town, it feels like a downtown. ...and who says a downtown has to be HUGE? it doesn't. i think when the two or three new highrises are built, more developers will want to come in and add their buildings to the "feel" of "downtown"...and i don't see that happening in PG or Lehi by putting in a GIANT MONOLITH thing that's 40 stories by the freeway. :koko:

provo, to me, has a core, and just "slapping" (kudos to wasatch on this one) in a HUGE 30-story highrise doesn't mean that that's the end all of where the city is going. although after a few midrises, a 20-30-story building fits in with those around it. i believe that is where provo is headed. they want a developed core. and by starting with a few 10 story buildings will accomplish that better...then, the airport picks up a commercial carrier: YOU JUST WATCH THE HIGHRISES COME INTO PROVO THEN MY FRIENDS!!!! JUST WATCH!! :yes:

there was also talk of a 10-story midrise going in to DOWNTOWN P.G.!!! which, i think, would look TERRIBLE!! at least now. they need some smaller 3-7 story buildings around first, get in some better infrastructure for their downtown, and then the 10-15-story highrises will come and fit in better.

we also have to remember that 20-30-50 story buildings house a LOT of people, and the infrastructure needs to be there to handle a LOT of traffic this type of development creates.

also, provo city is selling the land between 100-200 west and center and 100 south--where that old keiths lunch used to be. i think it's closed now, after changing hands...the city bought it and wants to sell it....i've heard rumblings that NuSkin wants to buy the land and build another highrise: 12-15 stories. and they will also use that land to build another parking terrace...:banana:

just my two pence...keep the change

poodledoodledude

delts145
Jan 3, 2008, 2:58 PM
City of Highland sees year of major new construction

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/249933/

http://utahlife.org/images/highlandmap1.jpg

Highland is in the midst of a building boom for big projects. There are many skeletal steel girders indicating another large building under construction.

i-215
Jan 3, 2008, 11:38 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/4824284.jpg

Looks like a direct copy of the West Valley City Hale Centre Theatre.

jedikermit
Jan 4, 2008, 12:04 AM
Looks like a direct copy of the West Valley City Hale Centre Theatre.

that's what I was thinking too--even the lobby areas look the same. Wonder if they just used the same plans?

Cheap bastards. :tup:

poodledoodledude
Jan 5, 2008, 5:39 PM
if you havent seen my post under the provo thread about recession that is a possibility this upcoming year, i'll ask you all the same question:

what do you think will happen to all the development in utah valley as a result of this recession? i know it's all heresay, but, a recession is a possibility, and i could see some developments being put on hold until it subsides....with housing, credit, oil prices, etc...

just wondering....makes me nervous, anyone else?? :(

poodledoodledude

delts145
Jan 5, 2008, 6:55 PM
I've wondered some about that too Poodle. It's hard to say for sure, but the experts that have been right-on thus far, have predicted a slowdown of growth for the Wasatch. By slowdown, they are saying unlike many metro's, which will experience a probable recession, the Wasatch will still be growing at a healthy clip, but not remain in the hyper-drive mode. I'm seeing a tremendous amount of construction at the north end of Utah Valley,(both residential and commercial) which will continue through 2008.

Erector
Jan 6, 2008, 3:42 AM
I am going back trying to find an article from Bloomsberg(sp) reports addressing economic growth in the intermountain west. The rebuttal in Rocky Mtn Construction mentioned that the possible recession would greatly effect the residential home market, which is already moving at a snails pace, but the commercial market, because commercial construction loans are granted from larger and more solvent institutions than the typical mortgage lenders, and secondly, construction material and labor cost would drop because of availibilty from a sagging residential market, would keep commercial construction active for a least the next two years.

Personally I don't think you will see to much of a slow down along the Wasatch Front for the next year or two. You might remember during the Novell and Wordperfect start up era, that Utah County was faced with similar circumstances, the housing market was bearly staying afloat, but the East Bay business park, Springville industrial park, and the Timpanogos Bus. park were going crazy with construction activity.

I just hope that the projects get moving now, and not wait around till funding might get tighter.

delts145
Jan 7, 2008, 12:40 PM
Main Street Plaza coming to American Fork

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/250823/

Representatives of Woodbury Corporation presented plans to the Planning and Zoning Commission Jan.2 for development at the Main Street Plaza, near Target.

delts145
Jan 7, 2008, 12:57 PM
Lehi, Over 46,000 people and climbing / 2007 a year of new projects for Lehi City

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/249922/

i-215
Jan 8, 2008, 6:24 AM
IT'S TIME FOR CHANGE

:hell: :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell:

I am very sad tonight. I live in the Wyview Park complex on University Avenue. I remember when I moved here this past summer I saw the crosswalk on the street, and said "oh well, I guess I'm driving to school every day." It's terribly dangerous. There's "Rocky Flags" which help - but it doesn't matter. Especially at night. The speed limit if 45-50 MPH.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l183/utradioguide/untitled1.jpg

It's really bothered me because there's lots of students (about a third) who ride bikes and walk to school each day, and aren't lucky enough to drive. UTA's service is garbage since you have to walk to other side of the complex to catch it and it seems counter-productive to walk away from school to go to school.

Anyway, as a "traffic planner" sort of guy, I've been grappling fairly often in my mind the debate between Provo/BYU trying to get students across the highway and UDOT's need to keep cars flowing up the canyon.

Well tonight ... and it hurts to think about it, a girl was hit and killed by a car on University Avenue as she crossed. There are Rocky Flags, but even with them it's hard to see somebody coming, unless you know there's a crosswalk there. Everyone I talk to says they've all almost hit somebody there. It's also 1/2 way between light poles so it's really dark there.

Anyway, none of the TV stations are covering. KSL Radio is only because we called them to see what's up - and they haven't heard about it. My roommate saw the body lying in the street and the papers and bookstore bag that were flung across the highway. And I'm just now learning she's in my ward.

So I need to vent. Sorry if I'm not making any sense, but this really hits close to home. :hell: :hell: :hell:

Something NEEDS TO CHANGE!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l183/utradioguide/rockyflags.jpg
THESE DANG ROCKY FLAGS DON'T CUT IT! YOU CAN'T HAVE HUNDREDS OF STUDENTS CROSS EVERY DAY IN A POOR VISIBILITY CROSSWALK. THIS NEEDS TO BE CHANGED.

I'm trying to vent constructively. I cropped in a refuge island. What we really need is a light too.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l183/utradioguide/refuge.jpg

Maybe a light is needed. Anyway ... it's surreal. I probably didn't know the girl - I hear she just moved in. But it just makes me sick.

delts145
Jan 8, 2008, 12:12 PM
UVU receives major gift for theater arts

http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/4985049.jpg
(Stuart Johnson, Deseret Morning News)

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695242243,00.html

The Ray and Tye Noorda Foundation asked that the donation amount be kept confidential, but UVSC officials say it is the largest single payment gift in the college's history.

Erector
Jan 8, 2008, 5:50 PM
IT'S TIME FOR CHANGE

I am very sad tonight. I live in the Wyview Park complex on University Avenue. I remember when I moved here this past summer I saw the crosswalk on the street, and said "oh well, I guess I'm driving to school every day." It's terribly dangerous. There's "Rocky Flags" which help - but it doesn't matter. Especially at night. The speed limit if 45-50 MPH.

It's really bothered me because there's lots of students (about a third) who ride bikes and walk to school each day, and aren't lucky enough to drive. UTA's service is garbage since you have to walk to other side of the complex to catch it and it seems counter-productive to walk away from school to go to school.

Anyway, as a "traffic planner" sort of guy, I've been grappling fairly often in my mind the debate between Provo/BYU trying to get students across the highway and UDOT's need to keep cars flowing up the canyon.

Well tonight ... and it hurts to think about it, a girl was hit and killed by a car on University Avenue as she crossed. There are Rocky Flags, but even with them it's hard to see somebody coming, unless you know there's a crosswalk there. Everyone I talk to says they've all almost hit somebody there. It's also 1/2 way between light poles so it's really dark there.

Anyway, none of the TV stations are covering. KSL Radio is only because we called them to see what's up - and they haven't heard about it. My roommate saw the body lying in the street and the papers and bookstore bag that were flung across the highway. And I'm just now learning she's in my ward.

So I need to vent. Sorry if I'm not making any sense, but this really hits close to home. :hell: :hell: :hell:

Something NEEDS TO CHANGE!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l183/utradioguide/rockyflags.jpg
THESE DANG ROCKY FLAGS DON'T CUT IT! YOU CAN'T HAVE HUNDREDS OF STUDENTS CROSS EVERY DAY IN A POOR VISIBILITY CROSSWALK. THIS NEEDS TO BE CHANGED.

I'm trying to vent constructively. I cropped in a refuge island. What we really need is a light too.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l183/utradioguide/refuge.jpg

Maybe a light is needed. Anyway ... it's surreal. I probably didn't know the girl - I hear she just moved in. But it just makes me sick.

I hate to hearing things like this, very tramatic. I remember growing up in the Provo area, BYU at the time was very UN-pedestrian friendly. It was a gamble with your life trying to get around on bike or foot. I actually attended the U and I believe that it is far more pedestrian friendly then the Y. The surrounding major streets wrapping around campus has warning lights and cross walk stop lights in several critical areas. North Univ. Ave. is traffic hell.

Wasatch_One
Jan 8, 2008, 6:39 PM
I drove by this accident about a half hour after it happened. This is the third person I have seen the aftermath of getting hit at this same crosswalk.

I would even recommend building an elevated walkway, and it would also help out with traffic flow before and after BYU Football games.

delts145
Jan 13, 2008, 5:05 PM
Barn Inc. to add several hundred jobs to a Utah County workforce

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/251497/18/

"We are expanding now because we have the financial backing from private investors to start up operations," he said.

delts145
Jan 15, 2008, 1:20 PM
Organic grocer Sunflower Farmers markets announces stores in Murray and Orem

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695244114,00.html

The Orem store will be in the Festival shopping Center at 1357 S. State, next to University Mall.

i-215
Jan 15, 2008, 3:58 PM
I drove by this accident about a half hour after it happened. This is the third person I have seen the aftermath of getting hit at this same crosswalk.

I would even recommend building an elevated walkway, and it would also help out with traffic flow before and after BYU Football games.

That's funny you mentioned that. I posted my pedestrian refuge island ideas on a Facebook group dedicated to getting a light put in at the crosswalk, and nearly everyone posting says they want a skywalk.

delts145
Jan 17, 2008, 1:31 PM
Payson opposing corridor plan - City fears UDOT proposal could cripple businesses

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695244699,00.html

UV4EVER
Jan 20, 2008, 6:04 AM
I was driving on I-15 in Springville recently and noticed a sign for an office building soon to be built, Sping Pointe. It actually looks very similar to the Neways Building about a mile south, also just off I-15.

Spring Point:

http://imgplace.com/image_bin/2749/9dfe4da27e4bdd6f71365f771577df10.jpg.th.jpg
http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Listing/Profile/ProfileSE.aspx?LID=15488972&linkcode=10850&sourcecode=1lww2t006a00001
2103 West 500 North
5 Stories
90,000 SF

Neways:

http://imgplace.com/image_bin/8967/d7f8fe487bd915e64951150a4bba2802.jpg.th.jpg
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wallboardspecialties.net/images/photo_projects_neways.jpg&imgrefurl=http://wallboardspecialties.net/a_projects.php&h=186&w=300&sz=17&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=VYn6Y5FcMkEN9M:&tbnh=72&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dneways%2Bspringville%2Butah%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN
2089 (West) Neways Dr (650 South)
5 Stories
85,000 SF

I realize this isn't big news compared to other projects in the region, but it's great for Springville! :cheers:

delts145
Jan 20, 2008, 2:49 PM
Actually, I think that's pretty big news for Provo and South, thanks for the heads-up UV4EVER. The more the southern portion of Utah Valley flourishes, the more build-up we'll see for Provo. My nephew is being transferred from Tucson to manage what will be a large home-improvement center for the southern portion of the Valley.

http://www.wallboardspecialties.net/images/photo_projects_neways.jpg

I like that Neways office building. It's pretty chic and upscale, but it needs some company. It looks pretty lonely where it's at right now. Another upscale office tower will look very cool there. OOOOkay, I know. It would be better short term, if we built it in downtown Provo.

http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/2/3/B/xy_23B98223-6C13-466F-AD39-35ECAA8A986D__.jpg
loopnet.com
Well yes, It definately would have been nice to have seen this contructed in an appropriate area of Downtown Provo. And say about 25 stories taller. I imagine the gray will be a polished granite. Hey, I would like to see a taller version of something like this in Downtown Salt Lake City.

SLC Projects
Jan 20, 2008, 7:14 PM
How about this?....

What if this building went from 5-story to 15-stories and have it in downtown Provo, Maybe across the street from the new Zion Bank tower site.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/3233/33175530eh7.jpg

Viperlord
Jan 22, 2008, 2:27 PM
pleasant grove

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_8043041

City's historic center is target of zoning change
Planning Commission to consider a proposal that would allow a 10-story development

Future Mayor
Jan 22, 2008, 2:32 PM
That would be a GREAT addition to DT Provo, I actually like the design better at 15 stories, at 5 it looks a little squatty. What types of incentives does Provo have that they are offering to potential developers. I know the new Zions Bank Bldg had some incentives built into it, at least I think I remember reading that. Does Provo have an RDA similar to SLC?

delts145
Jan 24, 2008, 2:10 PM
Lehi City sets forth architectural design standards

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/252662/

Lehi City now has architectural standards for commercial and business buildings within its boundaries specifying exterior building material such as stucco, wood, rockwork, setbacks and varied window dressing to minimize the big box effect of large stores.

delts145
Jan 24, 2008, 2:14 PM
Lehi votes to increase city's size

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/252762/

Tuesday evening Lehi council menbers voted to increase the city's size by at least 12 percent when they unanimously approved the Holbrook annexation by resolution, a move that will eventually add more than 1,800 acres to the city area.

Viperlord
Jan 25, 2008, 6:21 AM
Downtown overhaul is moving too fast, say Pleasant Grove residents

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_8071402

The plan could also pave the way for developer Joe Spencer to build a 160-foot-high mixed-use project towering over mostly single-story homes.

SLC Projects
Jan 25, 2008, 7:42 PM
IT'S TIME FOR CHANGE

Follow up...

UDOT closes crosswalk due to safety concerns
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2548252

So it looks like UDOT will do something about it.

delts145
Jan 26, 2008, 12:55 PM
Utah Valley residents weigh in on transit plans

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695247382,00.html

Happy Valley Freak
Jan 27, 2008, 12:56 AM
anyone know how the Pleasnt Grove Development is coming along???, how bout Midtown Village, last I saw it was looking great!