PDA

View Full Version : Provo MSA Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

delts145
Nov 8, 2011, 1:38 PM
Widening of Geneva Road now 50% complete

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52833683-78/geneva-project-road-complete.html.csp

The Salt Lake Tribune, Update

By Lee Davidson

A project to widen Geneva Road in Orem from two lanes to five — including a center turn lane — and build a bridge over railroad tracks is now 50 percent complete, according to the Utah Department of Transportation.

The 3.6-mile project between University Parkway and 1600 North began in April and is scheduled for completion next May.

UDOT said utilities have been relocated, and roadbed widening has been completed in many areas.

It said the project to date has employed 220 people and recorded 115,000 work hours. It has moved 200,000 cubic yards of earth and material, the equivalent of 42,000 elephants.

It has placed more than 80,000 square yards of asphalt. It installed 30,000 linear feet of pipe, which UDOT said would be taller than Mount Everest if stacked vertically end to end.

The project also required driving more than 2,000 wood piles. It also placed more than 20,000 square feet of concrete sidewalk and driveways — adding 60 percent more sidewalk than what was previously on Geneva Road.

delts145
Nov 8, 2011, 1:44 PM
Despite new owners, Orem foreclosing on project

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ILsv09VlL4c/SGF5t0UfrRI/AAAAAAAAApM/3mSjTfny0dI/s400/CIMG3746.JPG
www.paigeand chris.com

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52864875-78/project-orem-blackstone-midtown.html.csp

By Donald W. Meyers
The Salt Lake Tribune

Orem’s Midtown Village is under new ownership, but the city is moving ahead with its plans to foreclose on the project.

Salt Lake City-based Blackstone Financial Group bought the half-finished, upscale, mixed-use condominium project in late October, acquiring the interests of other investors, according to city officials and Blackstone’s attorney

But don’t expect to see work start right away on the project near Orem’s State Street and 400 South...

http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/4835057.jpg
Deseret News.com

tygr
Nov 13, 2011, 1:21 AM
Spanish Fork's long-time rumor may finally be coming to fruition; construction of a Costco. Daily Herald article (http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/south/spanish-fork/earth-work-underway-for-possible-costco-in-spanish-fork/article_4a784113-1889-567e-bcf9-845f3073444c.html)

It may not be a huge thing, but it may be a sign of the economy moving forward locally, in the state, and maybe nationally. Now, as a resident of Spanish Fork, hopefully the Home Depot planned for the same development will move forward soon too.

poodledoodledude
Dec 3, 2011, 5:07 PM
NORDSTROM is closing its orem store february 24th....

now, univ mall has ONE anchor after that....your thoughts?
will kohls and H&M come in?
what stores would YOU add that would do well for utah valley?

....if nordstrom cant make it, what will?
bloomingdales is OUT, lord and tayor OUT, marshall fields: HARDLY...

jtrent77
Dec 3, 2011, 7:34 PM

I think Kohls or H&M would be a great addition to the University Mall and would likely get a lot of traffic, however, I haven't seen a Kohls or a H&M big enough to fit the space that needs to be filled....should be interesting to see what the mall does to get some new tenants.

Old&New
Dec 3, 2011, 7:37 PM
:previous:

I think Dillard's, Mervyn's, or JCPenny would be a good fit. Although JCPenny and Dillard's both have stores at Provo Town Center Mall. I wonder if University Mall would be a good location for Neiman Marcus to enter the Utah retail market?

jtrent77
Dec 3, 2011, 9:48 PM

I think Dillard's, Mervyn's, or JCPenny would be a good fit. Although JCPenny and Dillard's both have stores at Provo Town Center Mall. I wonder if University Mall would be a good location for Neiman Marcus to enter the Utah retail market?

Mervyn's and JCPenny were both in University Mall before and they both left (JCPenny left to go to Provo Towne, and Nordstrom 'took' the anchor spot that was left--they actually built on a new addition a little further East--Mervyns lasted a little while longer until bankruptcy forced that location closed)...not likely that they will come back. Provo Towne is much too close for a second Dillards in my opinion.

As far as Neiman Marcus, if Nordstrom chooses to pull out I can't imagine Neiman Marcus deciding to move in.

Deek1978
Dec 3, 2011, 11:07 PM

Mervyn's is done. There aren't any more Mervyn's stores anywhere. They went the way of Circuit City.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mervyns

SLC Projects
Dec 4, 2011, 12:37 AM
I notice today there is somekind of development taking place at thanksgiving point right behind the hotel near the water tower. I saw a crane and some steal beams rising. Also just south of that there looks to be another office building going up in their little business park since I notice two elevator shaft standing tall.

Old&New
Dec 4, 2011, 3:19 AM
I think Kohls or H&M would be a great addition to the University Mall and would likely get a lot of traffic, however, I haven't seen a Kohls or a H&M big enough to fit the space that needs to be filled....should be interesting to see what the mall does to get some new tenants.

How about Von Maur?

Mervyn's and JCPenny were both in University Mall before and they both left (JCPenny left to go to Provo Towne, and Nordstrom 'took' the anchor spot that was left--they actually built on a new addition a little further East--Mervyns lasted a little while longer until bankruptcy forced that location closed)...not likely that they will come back. Provo Towne is much too close for a second Dillards in my opinion.

As far as Neiman Marcus, if Nordstrom chooses to pull out I can't imagine Neiman Marcus deciding to move in.

Neiman Marcus or any other new-to-the-market department store could do well there. Nordstrom already has other store locations in the region they may unintentionally be competing with.

tygr
Dec 4, 2011, 6:28 AM
Kohls is in the old FredMeyer building east of University Mall; next to Gold's Gym. I don't see them moving.

Maybe H&M will take one space, and Crate and Barrel the other.

The regional manager for Home Depot told me that they we're going to build a store at University Mall near Costco; whether that's south or east, I don't know. But he did say that would be once the economy picked up.

jtrent77
Dec 4, 2011, 7:48 AM
Kohls is in the old FredMeyer building east of University Mall; next to Gold's Gym. I don't see them moving.

Maybe H&M will take one space, and Crate and Barrel the other.

The regional manager for Home Depot told me that they we're going to build a store at University Mall near Costco; whether that's south or east, I don't know. But he did say that would be once the economy picked up.

Have you ever seen an H&M or Crate and Barrel that big though?? Sure there are some H&Ms out here on the East Coast that have two floors, but each floor is CONSIDERABLY smaller than the space that is available there.

As far as the Neiman Marcus as mentioned previously, it's the wrong location for the first to market. First the malls (Provo Towne and University) deal a lot with a student crowd that typically don't have loads of money to just spend. Second, Utah County as a whole tends to be cheaper both in how much salaries are paid, and how much people are willing to spend. If a Neiman Marcus or Lord and Taylor or something higher end were to come to Utah, they would likely be opening up shop in either Salt Lake County or perhaps Park City before trying to open a store in a college town.

s.p.hansen
Dec 4, 2011, 8:17 AM
University Mall looks nice, but it never seems to be very crowded.

If Nordstrom couldn't make it, I wouldn't be so sure another high end department store is going to choose move in to take its place.

delts145
Dec 4, 2011, 12:22 PM
Kohls would have gladly filled the Mervyn's vacancy had Mervyn's bankruptcy and exit been timed a little later. However, Kohls took the defunct Fred Meyer next door and redeveloped that space.

This is really a quandry for the University Mall right now. The former Mervyn's space is still vacant, and now Nordstrom is leaving too. It's strange, because it was a profitable store. Perhaps, not as profitable as some others, but it was profitable. This leads me to believe that perhaps Nordstrom will announce a Nordstrom Rack, which I think would be an excellent move for that particular Mall. If Woodbury can reconfigure the Nordstrom space in to two or three mid size stores, such as H & M, Nordstrom Rack, etc. that would be a bit of progress for that mall in my opinion.

i-215
Dec 4, 2011, 6:42 PM

A friend of mine says she's losing her job on Feb 24th. She's hoping her manager gets transferred to the new City Creek store, so she can land a job up there. Even at Nordstrom retail pay (which ain't great), she says she wouldn't mind commuting an hour a day just to work at the new store.

Old&New
Dec 4, 2011, 6:58 PM
A friend of mine says she's losing her job on Feb 24th. She's hoping her manager gets transferred to the new City Creek store, so she can land a job up there. Even at Nordstrom retail pay (which ain't great), she says she wouldn't mind commuting an hour a day just to work at the new store.

You should encourage your friend to move into an apartment at CCC, or at least use the train (frontrunner) when it comes online.

Wasatch_One
Dec 4, 2011, 9:39 PM
I think Macy's should relocate out of their 40 yr old, run down space into the newer Nordstrom building. Then the Univ Mall owners can redevelop the west side of the mall and make better use of the State St./Univ Pkwy frontage and put in a Crate & Barrel and restaurant or two.

Old&New
Dec 5, 2011, 1:33 AM
I think Macy's should relocate out of their 40 yr old, run down space into the newer Nordstrom building. Then the Univ Mall owners can redevelop the west side of the mall and make better use of the State St./Univ Pkwy frontage and put in a Crate & Barrel and restaurant or two.

Is the Macy's Store really run down?

tygr
Dec 5, 2011, 5:40 AM

That's a great idea. I just wonder if Macys would be willing to give up their "corner lot" (University Parkway and State St.).

Wasatch_One
Dec 5, 2011, 7:16 AM
Is the Macy's Store really run down?

It just feels dated and doesn't make the best use of space (that said, i've never really worked in retail, so that is just my opinion).

You can tell it is a dept. store from the early 70's like the ones in the old Crossroads/ZCMI center malls.

jtrent77
Dec 5, 2011, 6:42 PM
That's a great idea. I just wonder if Macys would be willing to give up their "corner lot" (University Parkway and State St.).

Not only is that corner a MUCH more prominent location, but, the current Macys store has a lot more square footage than the location that Nordstrom is vacating. So if Macys were to move, I would imagine it would only be temporary to update the current location. I see it as more likely that IF they were to update that they would just do it in sections and keep the current location through the process.

delts145
Dec 15, 2011, 12:48 PM
Payson planners unanimously OK Mormon temple plans

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53118780-78/temple-payson-church-permit.html.csp

Donald W. Meyers
The Salt Lake Tribune

Payson • The Planning Commission Wednesday night approved plans submitted by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for its Payson Temple.

The Commission unanimously recommended approval of a conditional-use permit for the 96,000-square-foot structure, as well as the temple’s site plan and an adjustment of a boundary between two tracts in connection with the temple construction..

http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=iH5DTkJps7Kl98qdItus8M$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuPGpLVxp8CcNhoDtFqc0nrWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_CryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg
Courtsey LDS Church Artist's rendition of the Payson Temple.

Future Mayor
Dec 16, 2011, 1:49 AM
Sorry to disappoint you Poodle, but Marshall Fields was part of May company which got purchased by Macy's. Marshall Fields stores are now all Macy's, even the one in downtown Chicago.

delts145
Dec 24, 2011, 1:15 PM
Construction work starting at Point of the Mountain for Murdock canal enclosure project

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705396304/Construction-work-starting-at-Point-of-the-Mountain-for-Murdock-canal-enclosure-project.html

By Sam Penrod, Deseret News

PROVO — Heavy machinery is being used at Point of the Mountain on both sides of I-15 for a very complicated construction project directly below the freeway.

The construction is part of a $150 million pipeline that will completely enclose what is now an open canal...

http://www.ksl.com/emedia/slc/2488/248805/24880501.jpg
ksl.com

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/heraldextra.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/e/2a/bf6/e2abf6a4-bf2d-5a50-a421-7651287bf5e2.image.jpg
bloximages.chicago2

Related:

http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/web-37755.jpg

Gerber to build trail atop Murdock Canal - Hiking • 16-mile trail to run
through 7 cities, over enclosed canal.

By Donald W. Meyers
The Salt Lake Tribune

A Lehi-based contractor is building a 16-mile trail on top of the soon-to-be enclosed Murdock Canal.

The Utah Department of Transportation awarded Gerber Construction a $12.1 million contract to build a multiple-use trail from the mouth of Provo Canyon to Cabela’s in Lehi, according to UDOT spokesman Scott Thompson. The trail will sit on the Murdock Canal, which the Provo River Water Users Association is enclosing in a 10.5-foot diameter pipe.

The only other bidders for the project were Ames Construction, which came in at $14.48 million, and Geneva Rock, at $14.49 million. Ames is the contractor on the $150 million canal enclosure project and is also part of the Provo River Constructors consortium that is rebuilding Interstate 15 in Utah County.

The trail project is a joint venture involving UDOT, Utah County, the water users association and the cities of Orem, Lindon, Pleasant Grove, Cedar Hills, American Fork, Highland and Lehi. The trail will provide space for hikers, cyclists and horseback riders.

Richard Nielson, Utah County’s public works director, said the construction will depend on how quickly crews can pipe and bury the canal, also known as the Provo Reservoir Canal.

Steve Cain, the water users’ facilities and land manager, said work began in December on the segment that will go between the north end of Pleasant Grove and the east side of Lehi. So far, 3,000 feet of pipe have been laid.

The next segment, going from Lehi to the Jordan Narrows, will be finished this summer. The project is expected to be completed by spring 2012.

Cain said the trail work will likely have to wait until then.

“The only thing we’re not sure yet is how to dovetail the trail work with the fiber-optic system that gets installed with the canal enclosure,” Cain said.

The 90-year-old canal carries water from the Provo River at Provo Canyon to the Jordan River at the Jordan Narrows in Lehi. The canal is owned by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation and operated by the water users.

SLC Projects
Dec 24, 2011, 4:19 PM
It's a canal.

delts145
Dec 29, 2011, 11:44 AM
One year left in I-15 CORE project through Utah County

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705396478/One-year-left-in-I-15-CORE-project-through-Utah-County.html

http://static.deseretnews.com/images/article/midres/704867/704867.jpg
Construction work of the Pioneer Crossing Project along I-15 in American Fork where the Mountain View Corridor connects with I-15 and American Fork. May 25, 2010 (Stuart Johnson, Deseret News)

Lisa Riley Roche

LEHI — Let the countdown begin. There's just one year to go before the I-15 CORE project through Utah County is finished...

...So far, UDOT reports, those crews have put in 4.5 million hours, doing everything from excavating more than 6 million tons of dirt to pouring nearly 250 miles of concrete pavement.

UDOT is on schedule to complete the $1.7 billion reconstruction of the freeway from Lehi to Spanish Fork in 35 months, she said.

"We want to let everyone know we have only a year left on this project," Nelson said. "However, we still do have a lot of work to do."

That work includes completing two bridges at 100 East and 300 West in American Fork; reconstructing interchanges at 1600 North, 800 North and Center Street in Orem; finishing the Provo Center Street interchange; and widening U.S. 6 from I-15 to 1000 North in Spanish Fork.

New pedestrian crossings under the freeway are also being built near Utah Valley University. One will be west of the campus under the northbound University Parkway on-ramp and the other, under University Parkway at Sandhill Road...

http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/web-704874.jpg

Future Mayor
Dec 29, 2011, 4:25 PM
Wakeboard park may surface in Eagle Mountain

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/neighborhoodsouthvalley/53188369-132/park-panakos-wakeboard-eagle.html.csp

Orlando
Dec 29, 2011, 5:09 PM
Can anyone take some update photos of the new Adobe campus, and the new large Data Center near Camp Williams? both are currently under construction.

delts145
Jan 9, 2012, 11:43 AM
UVU opens Business Resource Center

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/central/orem/uvu-opens-business-resource-center/article_184529e1-ad26-5d0d-83f2-dab231c06d08.html

Genelle Pugmire,The Daily Herald

Once known as the sand dunes of Orem, where Gov. Gary Herbert says he used to catch lizards, now stands Utah Valley University's Business Resource Center, a one-stop-shopping experience for entrepreneurs and business development in Utah County.

On Friday, Utah Valley University President Matthew Holland gathered business, political and academic leaders to cut the ribbon and open the 24,842-square-foot facility...

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/heraldextra.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/0/90/090f9380-f828-5d3d-8d00-122ff9c68742/4f07f113ecd2c.image.jpg
Guests, including Utah Governor Gary Herbert, center, with UVU President Matthew Holland, take part in a ribbon cutting ceremony celebrating the opening of UVU's new Business Resource Center in Orem Friday, Jan. 6, 2012. MARK JOHNSTON/Daily Herald

Orlando
Jan 9, 2012, 8:53 PM
It looks like an interesting building. Anybody care to take some pics?

Future Mayor
Jan 16, 2012, 5:25 PM
One thing that is bothering me about the I-15 Core project in Utah County is that while they are using the same light fixtures that were used in the SL County rebuild, they aren't using LED bulbs, they have installed the same standard bulbs that the ones in SL Co have. Seems like something that fell through the cracks.

delts145
Jan 29, 2012, 1:51 PM
Hmm... I thought this quote from the article was particularly interesting. What do you want to bet that this department store will somehow find it's way to the University Mall. Perhaps, both Gordman's and Marshall's will pick up the slack from the Nordstrom and Mervyn's vacancies.

Station Park in Farmington,...The open-air center has had success in getting first-to-Utah stores, such as Gordman’s, a discount-oriented department store set to open in the development in the spring.

Retail sector stages a comeback in Utah

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/53270471-79/center-utah-retail-location.html.csp

By Leslie Mitchell
The Salt Lake Tribune

...Thain said Utah’s economy — in the top five in terms of job creation — is one factor in the increased retail activity. But perhaps even more so, he said, companies such as Crate & Barrel and H&M are reporting that the performances of their first Utah locations have exceeded expectations. “The numbers speak for themselves,” Thain said.

Strong sales, for example, have prompted Cheesecake Factory to open a second Utah location, in City Creek Center in downtown Salt Lake City, as a companion to its first, at Fashion Place Mall, which opened in 2007...

i-215
Jan 29, 2012, 6:13 PM
One thing that is bothering me about the I-15 Core project in Utah County is that while they are using the same light fixtures that were used in the SL County rebuild, they aren't using LED bulbs, they have installed the same standard bulbs that the ones in SL Co have. Seems like something that fell through the cracks.

Are there any commercially available LED bulbs that meet NHTSA specs for freeway lighting? It's one thing to find LEDs for traffic signals. It's another to illuminate the pavement.

Future Mayor
Jan 30, 2012, 4:31 PM
Are there any commercially available LED bulbs that meet NHTSA specs for freeway lighting? It's one thing to find LEDs for traffic signals. It's another to illuminate the pavement.

I realize that the height is vastly different, however the street lights on 700 E from I-80 to S. Temple is 100% LED, or very close to. I think there is one or two that haven't been replaced, and it's amazing to see the difference in light pollution upwards from the old street lights to the new. There is a stark line of light with the LED's.

It could simply be a factor of the ones on I-15 are so much higher that LED's won't be effective, but I doubt that as the one's on the surface streets seem to be brighter.

Orlando
Feb 4, 2012, 1:36 AM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7155/6814653711_9612c3efdb_z.jpg

Check out this Vegas glam smack in the middle of a rural Utah setting.

http://www.scholz-arch.com/projects01.html

This was proposed for Springville in 2005. It's 14 stories tall. It was planned to be the world headquarters of an emerging health product manufacturer and distributor. It was to be the tallest structure in Utah County.

Here's another another old proposed building for Springville:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7021/6814677973_b7632e83f9_z.jpg

Here's one for America Fork:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7001/6814690727_0941fbf9d4_z.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7033/6814697751_29fbc601b2_z.jpg

jedikermit
Feb 5, 2012, 2:48 PM
Wow. Um...shiny?

delts145
Feb 6, 2012, 2:03 AM
That building in the upper right hand corner has already been built. At least, I think that's the one that is on the west side of I-15. It's pretty fancy and seems kind of odd out there by itself. Of course, it will probably be surrounded by others in the future, as part of that business park.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7021/6814677973_b7632e83f9_z.jpg

wrendog
Feb 8, 2012, 6:42 AM
So... The Outlets at Traverse Mountain is well on it's way to completion. I hadn't realized that it is scheduled to be open in November of this year. It will include a 200 ft tall (!!!!) LED sign. Las Vegas style. Here is a conceptual drawing:

http://traversemountain.org/uploads/newbb/1_4f1260cd46092.png

Here are some of the stores (unofficial) that are expected to open:

• Adidas
• Aeropostale
• Banana Republic
• Bass
• Calvin Klein
• Carter's
• Charlotte Russe
• Chico's
• Children's Place
• Coach
• Cole Haan
• GAP
• Gymboree
• Hanes
• Izod
• J. Crew
• Johnny Rockets
• Jones New York
• Journeys
• Kasper
• Le Creuset
• Levi's
• LOFT
• Nike
• OshKosh B'gosh
• Polo Ralph Lauren
• Reebok
• Samsonite
• Tommy Hilfiger
• Van Heusen
• Vans
• Vitamin World
• Wilson's Leather
• Zumiez

John Martin
Feb 8, 2012, 6:45 AM
Um.. what is this?

wrendog
Feb 8, 2012, 6:52 AM
Um.. what is this?

I just told you! It's the Outlets at Traverse Mountain! :)

It'll be just south of the Cabelas in Lehi. It was originally announced in 2006, died for a bit and was resurrected last summer. Looks to be fully ready to go here soon. Big project and that sign is gigantic...

Here is the most recent Daily Herald article:

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/north/lehi/article_1ed1aaea-2933-5644-9156-b200e379677b.html

John Martin
Feb 8, 2012, 7:11 AM
But, opening in November of this year? Have they even started?

And 200 feet... that'll be like the tallest.. thing in Utah County, no?

SLC Projects
Feb 8, 2012, 8:31 AM
But, opening in November of this year? Have they even started?

And 200 feet... that'll be like the tallest.. thing in Utah County, no?

I think it might just be the tallest. And yes, November of this year for phase one.

SLC Projects
Feb 8, 2012, 8:36 AM
So... The Outlets at Traverse Mountain is well on it's way to completion. I hadn't realized that it is scheduled to be open in November of this year. It will include a 200 ft tall (!!!!) LED sign. Las Vegas style. Here is a conceptual drawing:

• Adidas
• Aeropostale
• Banana Republic
• Bass
• Calvin Klein
• Carter's
• Charlotte Russe
• Chico's
• Children's Place
• Coach
• Cole Haan
• GAP
• Gymboree
• Hanes
• Izod
• J. Crew
• Johnny Rockets
• Jones New York
• Journeys
• Kasper
• Le Creuset
• Levi's
• LOFT
• Nike
• OshKosh B'gosh
• Polo Ralph Lauren
• Reebok
• Samsonite
• Tommy Hilfiger
• Van Heusen
• Vans
• Vitamin World
• Wilson's Leather
• Zumiez

That sign is freaking awesome. If Im not mistaken this sign will be the tallest sign in the state that I know of. I do know the area, but I have no idea what the layout of the mall will look like nor do I have any idea to what the mall design looks like. Are there any renderings out yet for this development?

Stenar
Feb 8, 2012, 8:54 AM
....it will include a 200 ft tall (!!!!) led sign. Las vegas style. Here is a conceptual drawing:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gross !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Future Mayor
Feb 8, 2012, 3:50 PM
I don't hate the idea of it, and I completely understand the percieved need for it. The stores are so far away from the freeway and not really in line of sight, so the sign is acting as the actraction piece rather than the building itself.

I don't have an issue with it, and it does seem to have a nice look to it.

jedikermit
Feb 8, 2012, 7:57 PM
I think it's pretty hideous, but I dont' know much about anything. With everything else that's going in the northern end of Utah County, it'll be one more piece of nasty.

UTPlanner
Feb 9, 2012, 5:35 PM
I cannot understand what Lehi is thinking. The sign is hideous and disgusting. It only increases my desire to not go shopping.

jtrent77
Feb 15, 2012, 2:57 PM
Adobe appeals Lehi's OK to five-story electronic billboard (http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/north/lehi/adobe-appeals-lehi-s-ok-to-five-story-electronic-billboard/article_bceb8fc0-2029-52f8-a447-981cae154f4b.html)

Lehi and Adobe are engaged in a careful dance, hoping to avoid a legal battle over an enormous freeway sign...

delts145
Mar 4, 2012, 12:12 PM
Utah Lake making a comeback

http://utahlake.gov/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/sunlight.jpg
utahlake.gov

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865551408/Utah-Lake-making-a-comeback.html

By Steve Fidel, Deseret News

SARATOGA SPRINGS — A century ago Utah Lake was a destination spot dotted with leisure resorts, a jewel surrounded by mountains. But a series of unsavory events decade after decade turned the lake into something to stay away from...

...But now, after decades of pushing people away, Utah Lake just might be staging a comeback:

• Work is under way to rid the lake of 40 million pounds of troublesome carp.

• Unwanted plant life is being cleared away, making way for new shoreline access.

• The steel mill by the lake and its smokestacks are gone, with Geneva now a memory.

• Perhaps most importantly, efforts under way are designed to turn the lake from its murky brown water to blue again, necessary to overcome the lake's negative reputation.

With a community like Saratoga Springs pushing for a lakefront lifestyle, it just may be that Utah Lake’s time has finally arrived...

http://utahlake.gov/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/utah-lake-sailing.jpg
utahlake.gov

scottharding
Mar 4, 2012, 4:16 PM
That would be good. Utah Lake really is such a treasure, but it needs to be treated as such. And Utah County really needs all the natural beauty it can get to counter the terrible way the cities down there are built, excepting Provo. That atrocious sign in Lehi is just the latest example of the suburban dream... nightmare.

wrendog
Mar 4, 2012, 4:41 PM
My wife and I were discussing this the other day. Utah lake is a huge lake and hardly anyone even notices it. I mean, it's bigger than Bear Lake which is a hugely popular destination. Bear Lake feel large to me whenever I visit, yet I live right on the north shore of Utah Lake and never think twice about it. It would be nice if Utah Lake became more of a destination.

scottharding
Mar 4, 2012, 7:00 PM
The possibilities for the lake are wonderful to imagine if it can be cleaned and beautified and the people of Utah County and the Wasatch Front will embrace it. I've always been dumbfounded that all the development in Utah County avoids the shoreline. Once it's more desirable, I can imagine cool boardwalks with eateries and shopping and housing, and docks and sail boats and all that. It would be fantastic.

SLC Projects
Mar 4, 2012, 9:14 PM
My wife and I were driving around Utah Lake a few weeks back. I don't know too much about Utah Lake and was wounding if the lake even has any beaches. I didn't see any. Kind of seems like a waste that we have such a wonderful lake that seems like it doesn't really get used.

Old&New
Mar 4, 2012, 9:24 PM
The possibilities for the lake are wonderful to imagine if it can be cleaned and beautified and the people of Utah County and the Wasatch Front will embrace it. I've always been dumbfounded that all the development in Utah County avoids the shoreline. Once it's more desirable, I can imagine cool boardwalks with eateries and shopping and housing, and docks and sail boats and all that. It would be fantastic.

I'm glad development has avoided the shoreline because it now gives us an opportunity to have a lake-side running and biking trail! :yes: Let's keep the shores public if we can! :tup:

jtrent77
Mar 5, 2012, 12:52 AM
One of the reasons that Utah Lake is not used as much is because of how shallow it is in many areas. This makes it easier for plant life / algae to grow and also makes it a problem for boaters. Hence why you won't see nearly as many boaters there as you do at lakes that aren't even as big. While it may be cost prohibitive to completely remedy this, if people were to take enough interest, the late could be cleaned up quite a bit and used by smaller boats that don't need as much depth and it could really be great.

StevenF
Mar 5, 2012, 1:23 AM
Dredge it and double its water carrying capacity, now you have space for larger boats. Then, you also have more depth for a ferry to travel the lake, instead of an ugly bridge that only serves to cut the lake into 2 pieces. The article speaks of making Utah Lake more inviting to people and I really don't think a bridge will do that in any way. Keep the lake to boats and reclaimed beaches. Lets keep the damn car off the lake.

John Martin
Mar 5, 2012, 1:24 AM
My wife and I were driving around Utah Lake a few weeks back. I don't know too much about Utah Lake and was wounding if the lake even has any beaches. I didn't see any. Kind of seems like a waste that we have such a wonderful lake that seems like it doesn't really get used.

Nope, there are no beaches... well, none that I would call beaches anyway. It's mostly muddy, rocky, or weed infested all the way around. I vaguely recall years ago attempting to set up chairs and a canopy on shore, and there were so many bugs that we gave up.

I go to Utah Lake all the time in the summer. My family usually goes boating every 1-2 weeks, and that's usually where we go. Contrary to the last post, I don't see the vegetation as a deterrent to big boats, but more so the other way around (it does make the water a little dirty though, and that is a deterrent to many boaters big & small alike). Because there are no beaches, small boats can be unpleasant, and it makes more sense to just take them to Jordanelle or Willard Bay where there are beaches.

That said, I don't understand why Utah Lake isn't more popular. I suggested it to some neighbors last summer who had been going to Jordanelle, and they loved it. Utah Lake is so much closer than Willard Bay, and much warmer, smoother, larger, and easier to get to than Jordanelle. The boat ramps are somewhat obscure, and the areas around shore aren't pretty (there's a garbage processing center near one boat ramp, and it stinks). Frontrunner will go very close to the lake, and it could have a great view if some of the vegetation was tamed.

jtrent77
Mar 5, 2012, 2:05 AM
Nope, there are no beaches... well, none that I would call beaches anyway. It's mostly muddy, rocky, or weed infested all the way around. I vaguely recall years ago attempting to set up chairs and a canopy on shore, and there were so many bugs that we gave up.

I go to Utah Lake all the time in the summer. My family usually goes boating every 1-2 weeks, and that's usually where we go. Contrary to the last post, I don't see the vegetation as a deterrent to big boats, but more so the other way around (it does make the water a little dirty though, and that is a deterrent to many boaters big & small alike). Because there are no beaches, small boats can be unpleasant, and it makes more sense to just take them to Jordanelle or Willard Bay where there are beaches.

That said, I don't understand why Utah Lake isn't more popular. I suggested it to some neighbors last summer who had been going to Jordanelle, and they loved it. Utah Lake is so much closer than Willard Bay, and much warmer, smoother, larger, and easier to get to than Jordanelle. The boat ramps are somewhat obscure, and the areas around shore aren't pretty (there's a garbage processing center near one boat ramp, and it stinks). Frontrunner will go very close to the lake, and it could have a great view if some of the vegetation was tamed.

As far as my comment goes more toward the algae, but there are some areas that you can get your prop tangled up a bit....at least we did a couple of times growing up. Nothing that ruins anything, just a slight pain to clean it off at times.

John Martin
Mar 5, 2012, 2:56 AM
Huh. My parents have an inboard and I don't think we've ever noticed algae on the prop. I guess that could be a problem for super deep hulls.

jtrent77
Mar 5, 2012, 3:26 AM
Huh. My parents have an inboard and I don't think we've ever noticed algae on the prop. I guess that could be a problem for super deep hulls.

Sorry, no algae is a problem for people skiing and just on the boat itself, in some of the shallower areas the prop (in the past...maybe all the carp cleaned it out completely.....) would get into some of the vegetation growing, usually it is avoidable if you are paying attention though.

Future Mayor
Mar 5, 2012, 4:47 PM
The Provo Marina has some areas that are actual beaches, with sand meeting the water. There is also Lincoln Beach down at the very south end.

I too like the idea of a ferry, but the lake would need to be seriously dredged in order to accomodate a ferry for vehicles to use. Maybe the ideal situation is to have a people only ferry that takes people from Saratoga Springs to Vineyard and they can ride Front Runner from there. That could be a really nice mixed use development where the ferry comes to shore and brings people to Front Runner. The former Geneva site really has huge potential for addressing a lake community with plenty of public access along the water.

jtrent77
Mar 5, 2012, 5:15 PM
The Provo Marina has some areas that are actual beaches, with sand meeting the water. There is also Lincoln Beach down at the very south end.

I too like the idea of a ferry, but the lake would need to be seriously dredged in order to accomodate a ferry for vehicles to use. Maybe the ideal situation is to have a people only ferry that takes people from Saratoga Springs to Vineyard and they can ride Front Runner from there. That could be a really nice mixed use development where the ferry comes to shore and brings people to Front Runner. The former Geneva site really has huge potential for addressing a lake community with plenty of public access along the water.

I think this is a great idea and could be quite the community all centered around the ferry, the front runner station, and the lake. I could definitely see a destination spot of outdoor shopping, restaurants etc. However, I don't know that anyone with that kind of money required to do all of this would agree....sigh....

Future Mayor
Mar 5, 2012, 5:28 PM
I will be honest, I wasn't entirely opposed to the idea of the RSL stadium being built in Vineyard, near the lake and near the future Front Runner stop. I think the timing was a bit off though, considering Front Runner isn't open yet. Obviously I wanted it downtown, but I think it could have been a huge catalyst for developing the former Geneva sight.

Oh well, maybe when SLC gets MLB baseball team with a stadium in the Grainery District that the Orem Owls could upgrade to anything above Pioneer league, maybe Double or Triple A, and a new stadium could be built in that area. We obviously know that Triple A ball parks don't spur development (See Franklin Quest/Cover/Spring Mobile) but it could be a nice piece of a larger development, including lake access, boat rentals, board walks, shops, housing and offices, as you said, all focused around the Ferry and Front Runner. Maybe get the D League team back in Utah County and build a small arena in the area also.

Smuttynose1
Mar 5, 2012, 10:45 PM
The Happy Valley lives up to its reputation by taking the #4 spot in the Gallup Well-Being Index this year. The Index is based on scores for life evaluation, emotional health, work environment, physical health, healthy behaviors, and access to basic necessities gathered from over 350,000 telephone surveys.

U.S. University Towns Score High in Wellbeing
http://www.gallup.com/poll/153095/University-Towns-Score-High-Wellbeing.aspx

delts145
Mar 6, 2012, 11:09 AM
I think this is a great idea and could be quite the community all centered around the ferry, the front runner station, and the lake. I could definitely see a destination spot of outdoor shopping, restaurants etc. However, I don't know that anyone with that kind of money required to do all of this would agree....sigh....

It's only a matter of time. That massive Lake's shoreline plopped down in the middle of any large metro would be worth billions. As Utah Valley's population continues to surge so also will the improvements and rec opportunities around Utah Lake. I envy some of those beautiful new homes around Saratoga Springs, that have their decks and views right on the Lake. The views of the Lake and the towering wall of the Wasatch are surreal. There are few if any metros in the U.S. that mimic those views fully. I am very excited about the recent, aggressive work being done these past few years to reverse and repair the damage done over the previous 100-plus years.

I don't think we're too far off when it will make sound financial sense to dredge major parts of the lake also. I've been told that there are areas where as much as 80 feet of silt have accumulated over the past century, because of certain agricultural and grazing practices.

Future Mayor
Mar 6, 2012, 6:13 PM
A note on the carp situation in Utah Lake. Carp were planted in Utah Lake during the depression as a inexpensive food source. The problem is they are very invasive species and they have pretty much taken over the lake. I am glad that they are making efforts to eliminate the carp from the lake. If I am not mistaken the plan is to remove the carp and convert them into food for farm animals. I believe I recall hearing that information while I still worked in Payson.

jedikermit
Mar 6, 2012, 6:52 PM
I am glad that they are making efforts to eliminate the carp from the lake. If I am not mistaken the plan is to remove the carp and convert them into food for farm animals. I believe I recall hearing that information while I still worked in Payson.

That's what I've heard too--I think the article said they've removed 2 million tons of carp from Utah Lake already, several million tons still to go.

That's a lot of carp.

goldcntry
Mar 6, 2012, 10:18 PM
You just HAD to go there, didn't you Jedikermit!? *snicker*

My grandmother from Lehi told me stories of her first husband fishing for the carp during the depression and lamenting that he was not much of a fisherman - so she had a fishing contest with him and won handily.

delts145
Mar 11, 2012, 7:18 PM
I was just checking to see how the Timpanogos Highway progress might be coming along in my old neighborhood. OOPs, looks like someone is in hot water. Imagine what could have happened if these same contractors had been awarded the I-15 Project, which they so aggressively bid on. Man, the rebar part of these incidents is unbelievable!

UDOT reports 'unprecedented' quality problems with Timpanogos Highway project

Emily Morgan, Deseret News

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765557947/UDOT-reports-unprecedented-quality-problems-with-Timpanogos-Highway-project.html

http://www.deseretnews.com/images/article/midres/792070/792070.jpg
A view of State Route 92 (Timpanogos Highway) on Thursday, March 8, 2012. The project was scheduled to be finished in October. The contractor, Flatiron/Harper Joint Venture, is being fined $15,000 for each day past the deadline until completion of the project. UDOT said the $170 million project has experienced "unprecedented" difficulties, including cracks in the concrete and other quality issues. (Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News)

...Rodriguez said his greatest concern has been "ponding" adjacent to the highway that creates settlements underneath the road. Those settlements, in turn, can lead to broken concrete that can require replacement.

UDOT officials Thursday showed pictures of rebar intended to reinforce concrete panels, but which were placed only an inch deep and able to be removed by hand, Barnum said...

...Flatiron Constructors Inc. received a lot of publicity in 2010 after it lost the bid for the record $1.7 billion project to rebuild I-15 through Utah County by one point to Provo River Constructors. Provo River had donated $82,500 in campaign contributions to Gov. Gary Herbert.

Unbeknownst to lawmakers and the governor, UDOT Executive Director John Njord decided to pay a $13 million settlement to Flatiron after the company sent a number of letters protesting the award. The incident led to the passage of HB34, which requires the governor to sign off on all UDOT settlements of more than $100,000.

http://www.deseretnews.com/images/article/midres/792068/792068.jpg

http://www.deseretnews.com/images/article/midres/792072/792072.jpg

http://www.deseretnews.com/images/article/midres/792074/792074.jpg

http://www.deseretnews.com/images/article/midres/792080/792080.jpg
Utah Department of Transportation photos show different problems with the road work being done on state Route 92 in Utah County, including drains that have inadequate openings. (Utah Department of Transportation)

http://www.deseretnews.com/images/article/midres/792084/792084.jpg
Utah Department of Transportation photos show the different problems with the road work being done on state Route 92 in Utah County. The rebar was only an inch deep and able to be removed by hand. (Utah Department of Transportation)

http://www.deseretnews.com/images/article/midres/792086/792086.jpg
Utah Department of Transportation photos show different problems with the road work being done on state Route 92 in Utah County, including cracking in the concrete. (Utah Department of Transportation)

http://www.deseretnews.com/images/article/midres/792088/792088.jpg
Utah Department of Transportation photos show different problems with the road work being done on state Route 92 in Utah County, including cracking in the concrete. (Utah Department of Transportation)

http://www.deseretnews.com/images/article/midres/792100/792100.jpg

http://www.deseretnews.com/images/article/midres/792061/792061.jpg
"Ponding" by the roadway with no drainage has been one of the problems disrupting construction on Route 92. (Utah Department of Transportation)

TonyAnderson
Mar 11, 2012, 8:49 PM
Wow, that's horrible. Makes me almost scared to drive on that road.

I-15
Mar 12, 2012, 11:30 AM
I worked for a company that was part of that Flatiron team bidding on I-15 CORE. When we weren't awarded the project, I was laid off a couple months later. It still stings to read that the award process may have been tainted due to the contributions given to Gov. Herbert by the Provo River Contractors team.

That said, it seems like everything has gone smoothly so far for PRC on I-15. I am excited for it to be finished. I think the stretch from Pleasant Grove to Lehi will be done in a couple months.

javiniscool
Mar 18, 2012, 4:47 PM
With reguards to "I-15" concerning the UC CORE project, from Lehi Main Street to PG Blvd. will be done in June sometime and the rest of it from PB Blvd. to 6800 South SF won't be done till December.

Sad that Timp. Highway has some major issues with it. I hope UDOT will get it fixed soon.

Wasatch_One
Mar 19, 2012, 5:09 PM
I've driven the Timp Highway a lot and I haven't seen any real visible issues with it other than the commuter lane hasn't opened yet.

It's actually a really nice upgrade for the area.

delts145
Mar 31, 2012, 11:40 AM
^^^
It will be a huge improvement for commuters traveling from Northeastern Utah Valley to Salt Lake etc. Glad to see that UDOT was staying on top of these particular contractors and their with quality issues.

delts145
Apr 1, 2012, 9:20 PM
Utah County ranks 4th in nation for job growth
http://www.deseretnews.com/images/article/midres/821191/821191.jpg
An inidentified construction workers tends to girder supporters. (DON RYAN, AP)

By Jason Lee, Deseret News

PROVO — Utah County ranked No. 4 in the nation for the percentage of new jobs created over a 12-month period.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Thursday that from September 2010 to September 2011, employment increased in 271 of the 322 largest U.S. counties, including 4.5 percent in Utah's second largest county. Salt Lake County — which saw a 2.8 percent increase — ranked No. 48, while no other Utah county ranked among the top 200.

Topping the list was Williamson County, Tenn., posting the largest increase with a gain of 5.4 percent over the year, compared with national job growth of 1.6 percent. The report stated that within Williamson, the largest employment increase occurred in professional and business services, which gained 1,743 jobs over the year or 9.0 percent.

Conversely, Frederick County, Md., experienced the largest over-the-year decrease in employment among the largest counties in the U.S. with a loss of 2.6 percent.

shakman
Apr 2, 2012, 3:12 PM
:haha: I live in Frederick County, MD. Now we are losing Bechtel's Power Division to Virginia which will additional jobs once they move.

Congrads to Utah County.

Deek1978
Apr 5, 2012, 7:24 PM
Noticed yesterday that there is a crane being assembled in Spanish Fork, on the property that was recently excavated for Costco. I'm hoping this means that work will start soon. They finished all of the infill on the property back in January and they had to let it sit for a while, plus it had to pass compaction tests.
As a resident of S. F. I am excited for Costco to come. I'm tired of driving 10 miles to the North and seeing gas prices drop 15 cents a gallon. Nothing but price gauging, if you ask me.

SLC Projects
Apr 5, 2012, 11:46 PM
Noticed yesterday that there is a crane being assembled in Spanish Fork, on the property that was recently excavated for Costco. I'm hoping this means that work will start soon. They finished all of the infill on the property back in January and they had to let it sit for a while, plus it had to pass compaction tests.
As a resident of S. F. I am excited for Costco to come. I'm tired of driving 10 miles to the North and seeing gas prices drop 15 cents a gallon. Nothing but price gauging, if you ask me.

:tup: Greedy big oil. :yes:

Future Mayor
Apr 17, 2012, 4:12 PM
I think Adobe gets talked about in both this thread and the SLC MSA Thread, but I decided to put the information in here. Maybe somebody has already mentioned this but I couldn't remember.

It looks as if Adobe's long range plan is similar to those of most software/internet companies. The long range plan (from a local inside source) is that the campus in Lehi will eventually have five buildings. My source isn't sure if it will ever come to fruition, but they have the land and the plan, if neccesary.

Bob The Builder
Apr 17, 2012, 4:50 PM
I will be honest, I wasn't entirely opposed to the idea of the RSL stadium being built in Vineyard, near the lake and near the future Front Runner stop. I think the timing was a bit off though, considering Front Runner isn't open yet. Obviously I wanted it downtown, but I think it could have been a huge catalyst for developing the former Geneva sight.

Oh well, maybe when SLC gets MLB baseball team with a stadium in the Grainery District that the Orem Owls could upgrade to anything above Pioneer league, maybe Double or Triple A, and a new stadium could be built in that area. We obviously know that Triple A ball parks don't spur development (See Franklin Quest/Cover/Spring Mobile) but it could be a nice piece of a larger development, including lake access, boat rentals, board walks, shops, housing and offices, as you said, all focused around the Ferry and Front Runner. Maybe get the D League team back in Utah County and build a small arena in the area also.

Really? You would have been ok with Rio Tinto being in Vineyard? It would have been awful. :yuck:
Even RSL thought it would been bad. They were bluffing on that one to get Salt Lake County to help them out. They wanted as close to Salt Lake as they could, yet property that was affordable. Plus their studies showed that people in Salt Lake County had and spent more money than Utah County people (like those that attend Jazz games). If Sandy hadn’t worked out then a push for the Fair Grounds was the next location.

The Orem Owls or the Ogden Raptors could possibly upgrade to a AA team, but it would be unlikely that they would be AAA teams if SL had a MLB Team. There are bigger markets that a AAA team would go to and not share the spot light with a major league team. I know Boise wants a AAA team and would be a likely location if SL gets a MLB Team….. in about 12-15 years, which would be great :tup: !

SLC Projects
Apr 17, 2012, 8:38 PM
I think Adobe gets talked about in both this thread and the SLC MSA Thread, but I decided to put the information in here. Maybe somebody has already mentioned this but I couldn't remember.

It looks as if Adobe's long range plan is similar to those of most software/internet companies. The long range plan (from a local inside source) is that the campus in Lehi will eventually have five buildings. My source isn't sure if it will ever come to fruition, but they have the land and the plan, if neccesary.

If that's the case then here's hoping buildings IV and V will be taller then four stories.

Future Mayor
Apr 17, 2012, 8:40 PM
If that's the case then here's hoping buildings IV and V will be taller then four stories.

What about II and III? The current building is just building I.

SLC Projects
Apr 18, 2012, 12:04 AM
What about II and III? The current building is just building I.

The first three buildings are all four stories from what I've seen in the renderings.

Future Mayor
Apr 18, 2012, 4:05 AM
The first three buildings are all four stories from what I've seen in the renderings.

Got it.

Deek1978
May 1, 2012, 11:07 PM
I would just like to point out that as Springville City has built a new library and city offices, which look nice: My city, Spanish Fork, has upgraded and expanded their rodeo grounds. Never mind that the current library is so small that they have to store books off site, because they are literally using every square inch of space that they have. Also, the city offices, well. . . You know that earthquake drill we had two weeks ago? Yeah, Spanish Fork's city employees would be counted among the "did not survive", if "the big one" ever hits. City offices building has to be 100+ years old. I'm not advocating destroying it, it has significant historical value, but maybe build a new office, or perform some much needed renovations.

I feel that Spanish Fork is the forgotten city of Utah County. We grew the most %-wise last decade, behind Lehi. SF now has 35,000+ residents and is growing every day. Costco is building, and a lot of the land between SF and Mapleton was just annexed by SF, and somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 homes have been announced for that same area, which is north of Maple Mountain High School.

I'm really happy the freeway is being widened all the way down to SF, because this is where, IMO, the county will grow the fastest, now that most of the land in Northern Utah County is more expensive and becoming more and more scarce. Plus, with the Nu Skin Expansion and Temple in Provo, SF is only 10 miles (actually, more like 7) from downtown. This means that as Provo grows it's downtown as a destination for business, cities like Spanish Fork and Springville can grow as destinations for industry, and residents.

Sorry to be long winded, I'm just really excited for the future, and I feel that we're only beginning to realize the potential our state has to offer.

I-15
May 2, 2012, 8:58 AM
Good post Deek. I think we will see a dramatic change to the south part of Utah Valley over the next 20-30 years. Like you said, this where most of remaining open space in Utah County is located. Spanish Fork, Salem, Payson, Benjamin and even over west of Santaquin in the Genola area could see explosive growth. In addition, such growth would make Provo the centerpoint of a large metropolitan area. It could also help Provo develop a large vibrant downtown.

I would not be surprised to see over one million people living in the valley in 30 years.

delts145
May 2, 2012, 10:45 AM
Agreed, the explosive pace of growth at the south end of Utah Valley will be what pushes the growth and vibrancy of Downtown Provo as much or more than anything else.

There's still quite a bit of room along the Redwood Rd. corridor, especially above it on the benches to the south of the NSA complex. Also, we'll see an amazing amount of residential development and increased commercial density around Thanksgiving Point over the next 10 years. I think Lehi will far exceed a population of 50,000 by the time it's built out.

tygr
May 2, 2012, 6:11 PM
Who knows if we'll see anything happen soon, but I do know that Spanish Fork City is set to acquire the LDS church next to the city offices once a new church is finished across the street from SFHS on Center St.

The city might have something up its sleeve, but is waiting for all the ducks to line up before they announce or proceed with anything.

I feel that the city offices should be moved from Main St. over to a new building on the east side of the lot that the Justice Center is located on (across from SFCN's offices). Then they should rezone the existing city offices and the church to be commercial (the whole block, if they could).

As for the library, I think it would be awesome if they built a much larger one primarily underground (like BYU) and have the existing footprint of the library be a glass atrium (like BYU). Except, have glass panels of varying degrees of clarity and width so they could put "etched glass" graphics up the panels as if they are the ends of books with classic titles. And, since they would be stickers, they could even occasionally replace some with current popular titles.

BTW: I am also a resident of Spanish Fork.

jtrent77
May 2, 2012, 6:43 PM
Who knows if we'll see anything happen soon, but I do know that Spanish Fork City is set to acquire the LDS church next to the city offices once a new church is finished across the street from SFHS on Center St.

The city might have something up its sleeve, but is waiting for all the ducks to line up before they announce or proceed with anything.

I feel that the city offices should be moved from Main St. over to a new building on the east side of the lot that the Justice Center is located on (across from SFCN's offices). Then they should rezone the existing city offices and the church to be commercial (the whole block, if they could).

As for the library, I think it would be awesome if they built a much larger one primarily underground (like BYU) and have the existing footprint of the library be a glass atrium (like BYU). Except, have glass panels of varying degrees of clarity and width so they could put "etched glass" graphics up the panels as if they are the ends of books with classic titles. And, since they would be stickers, they could even occasionally replace some with current popular titles.

I find it somewhat humorous that people get all up in arms about the LDS Church buying public property (see 100 S in Provo). Yet I doubt anyone will care that the public is buying an LDS Church.....sigh....

StevenF
May 2, 2012, 7:02 PM

My first 9 years of my life was living in Spanish Fork. Back when we moved in 1989 the city only had around 9,000 people. I also remember going to Stake Conferences in that old LDS church building on Main, until they built a new building on Canyon road.

tygr
May 2, 2012, 7:12 PM
I find it somewhat humorous that people get all up in arms about the LDS Church buying public property (see 100 S in Provo). Yet I doubt anyone will care that the public is buying an LDS Church.....sigh....

I don't think anyone should look at this, or anything else, any more than two entities making a real estate transaction. It doesn't matter who the purchaser or seller is, discrimination of any kind is completely wrong.

I would never be able to sell my home with the condition that a person is/is not [fill in the blank] because I like/dislike that. Why should government and religion be any different. If two parties can make a mutually beneficial transaction, then why does anything else matter?

This is one reason why I am really embarrassed to be from this state; because people (from all sides of every viewpoint) "get off" on expressing/imposing their discriminatory attitudes.

[Sorry for the vent; it just had to happen.]

jtrent77
May 2, 2012, 7:35 PM
I don't think anyone should look at this, or anything else, any more than two entities making a real estate transaction. It doesn't matter who the purchaser or seller is, discrimination of any kind is completely wrong.

I would never be able to sell my home with the condition that a person is/is not [fill in the blank] because I like/dislike that. Why should government and religion be any different. If two parties can make a mutually beneficial transaction, then why does anything else matter?

This is one reason why I am really embarrassed to be from this state; because people (from all sides of every viewpoint) "get off" on expressing/imposing their discriminatory attitudes.

[Sorry for the vent; it just had to happen.]

completely agree.

Highrise_Mike
May 3, 2012, 9:42 AM

• Adidas
• Aeropostale
• Banana Republic
• Bass
• Calvin Klein
• Carter's
• Charlotte Russe
• Chico's
• Children's Place
• Coach
• Cole Haan
• GAP
• Gymboree
• Hanes
• Izod
• J. Crew
• Johnny Rockets
• Jones New York
• Journeys
• Kasper
• Le Creuset
• Levi's
• LOFT
• Nike
• OshKosh B'gosh
• Polo Ralph Lauren
• Reebok
• Samsonite
• Tommy Hilfiger
• Van Heusen
• Vans
• Vitamin World
• Wilson's Leather
• Zumiez

This sign is proposed to be 100 feet tall, there was an article written in the local paper stating 200 feet, but I know the writer and she blew it out of proportion! Although the Lehi City Council passed the sign, there is actually some dispute right now involving Adobe because they want to have a spot on the sign. So we will see how this goes, I don't think they will prevent the sign from being built.

Highrise_Mike
May 3, 2012, 10:18 AM
I took a tour of Adobe and Outlets at Traverse Mountain on Monday so I took a few shots on my phone to share :cool:

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/Adobe%20and%20Outletsat%20Traverse%20Mountain/0501121713a.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/Adobe%20and%20Outletsat%20Traverse%20Mountain/0501121717.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/Adobe%20and%20Outletsat%20Traverse%20Mountain/0501121718a.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/Adobe%20and%20Outletsat%20Traverse%20Mountain/0501121720.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/Adobe%20and%20Outletsat%20Traverse%20Mountain/0501121723.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/Adobe%20and%20Outletsat%20Traverse%20Mountain/0501121732a.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/Adobe%20and%20Outletsat%20Traverse%20Mountain/0501121736.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/Adobe%20and%20Outletsat%20Traverse%20Mountain/0501121738.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/Adobe%20and%20Outletsat%20Traverse%20Mountain/0501121745a.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/Adobe%20and%20Outletsat%20Traverse%20Mountain/0501121746.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/Adobe%20and%20Outletsat%20Traverse%20Mountain/0501121748.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/Adobe%20and%20Outletsat%20Traverse%20Mountain/0501121748a.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/Adobe%20and%20Outletsat%20Traverse%20Mountain/0501121749.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/Adobe%20and%20Outletsat%20Traverse%20Mountain/0501121754a.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/Adobe%20and%20Outletsat%20Traverse%20Mountain/0501121758.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/Adobe%20and%20Outletsat%20Traverse%20Mountain/0501121817.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/Adobe%20and%20Outletsat%20Traverse%20Mountain/0501121819a.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/Adobe%20and%20Outletsat%20Traverse%20Mountain/0501121820.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/Adobe%20and%20Outletsat%20Traverse%20Mountain/0501121849.jpg

delts145
May 3, 2012, 11:32 AM
Great update Mike, thanks so much! I'm missing my corner of America's most beautiful Metro backdrop. :D

Bob The Builder
May 3, 2012, 4:35 PM
Nice pics of the outlet mall. It's odd that Layton Construction doesn't have their visitors wear hard hats, vest, ect.......
how dumb! :koko:

Orlando
May 3, 2012, 7:32 PM
Thanks for the photo update! I am really liking Adobe's new building. It sure is a stark contrast to the outlet malls and all the other low design buildings out there!

SLC Projects
May 3, 2012, 8:45 PM
Very nice. This is the first time I've ever seen pics of the Traverse Mountain Outlet Mall. I can't find renderings of that anywhere and I didn't even know what it would look like. Now I have somewhat of an idea.

Highrise_Mike
May 5, 2012, 4:45 AM
Yeah Adobe's building really is cool, they are going to have all kinds of amenities for their workers. It will have an indoor basketball court in the giant cube out front, a fitness center, a nice cafeteria, outdoor tennis and basketball courts, and I think an in house massage place too! The outlets are going up like crazy, they expect the first tenants to start moving in in August and have a grand opening in November. They started putting the foundation just this past January! I'll have to see if I can find a rendering to post on here. I know that they are going to have some landscaping in the walkways and put a glass roof over the top of the walkways. It won't be fully enclosed, just more like an awning over all the walkways.

TonyAnderson
May 7, 2012, 11:25 PM
Agreed, the explosive pace of growth at the south end of Utah Valley will be what pushes the growth and vibrancy of Downtown Provo as much or more than anything else.

There's still quite a bit of room along the Redwood Rd. corridor, especially above it on the benches to the south of the NSA complex. Also, we'll see an amazing amount of residential development and increased commercial density around Thanksgiving Point over the next 10 years. I think Lehi will far exceed a population of 50,000 by the time it's built out.

Lehi is around 47,000 now. With all the available land they have, and the central location between the two counties, I wouldn't be surprised to see it get near 100,000 before you know it.