HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 2:11 AM

Visiting the Phoenix area for the first time

I went on a work trip to Phoenix earlier this spring. It was my first time visiting the area, so I opted to fly in the weekend before to do some exploring. I wandered around both Downtown Phoenix and Midtown Phoenix, then headed off to Tempe, Mesa, and Scottsdale. Here’s what I saw along the way.

1. I took the PHX Sky Train from the airport to the nearby light rail station.

2. The light rail train happened to be pulling up to the station just as I arrived at the platform!

4. Arriving in downtown Phoenix.

6. First stop, coffee!

14. Maricopa County Courthouse is a lovely building!

16. The NHL’s Phoenix Coyotes still existed when I was there and they were playing a home game that evening. I almost went!

29. Gorgeous art deco!

31. The light rail platform seen here is the new line that will extend south from downtown. It’s not quite open yet.

35. Plenty of construction happening near Civic Space Park and to the east associated with Arizona State University’s downtown Phoenix campus.

37. Another great art deco building. It’s a Hilton Garden Inn. I headed to their rooftop bar for a drink.

41. The next morning as I headed off for coffee I snapped some photos from the ASU downtown Phoenix campus area, though there was more construction going on than I captured in these few photos.

43. Lovely patio at this coffee shop.

46. Now heading up Central Avenue from downtown towards Midtown. I opted to walk this route to do a little exploring off the main route, but the light rail line runs through this corridor too.

50. Nice neighborhood with some old but updated homes just east of Central Ave.

57. Back to the main corridor along Central Ave. Heading into Midtown now.

59. Now walking back south towards downtown.

60. The Central Arts Plaza is a nice park oasis in the Central Arts District.

63. I-10 is capped here with a nice park.

65. The Portland Street corridor just to the northwest of downtown Phoenix has some nice older homes, including some bungalows (I love bungalows!).

71. Just to the east of the older historic section of Portland Street is Portland Parkway Park, which is lined with new mixed use development. It’s a decent area to stroll as a pedestrian.

74. Now off to Tempe to explore the city and the main campus of Arizona State University.

76. Among my first stops in Tempe was ASU’s football stadium, which hosted the Fiesta Bowl back in January 2003 when my Buckeyes won the first Bowl Championship Series (BCS) National Championship! I was a junior at OSU back then. Great memories!

79. Some caffeine to give me energy for the rest of the day. I walked about 17 miles that day around Phoenix and Tempe!

80. Exploring the ASU campus. There are some older buildings but it’s very much a new/modern campus.

93. Heading into downtown Tempe which was vibrant. In addition to having multiple light rail stations for the Valley’s light rail system, Tempe has its own modern streetcar.

106. I stayed for one night in downtown Tempe. This was the view from my room of several newer high rise developments adding density near the light rail and streetcar lines.

107. The view looking west from the roof of my hotel towards Phoenix.

108. And the view looking northeast from the hotel rooftop of Hayden Butte and the football stadium.

109. Back to downtown for a little more exploring.

118. The Tempe Transportation Center with Hayden Butte in the background.

119. Time to hike up the hill as the sun is setting.

128. The next morning (Sunday), I hopped on the light rail and headed further east to Mesa.

129. Arriving in Mesa to some sunshine.

130. First stop in Mes was for coffee.

132. Because it was relatively early on a Sunday morning, downtown Mesa was rather quiet.

141. Mesa is a center for Mormans in the Phoenix area. The Temple grounds are gorgeous!

150. Back to downtown Mesa.

153. Time to head back to Tempe.

154. My train is arriving.

155. After arriving back in Tempe and checking out of my hotel, I headed to Scottsdale, where I was staying for the next several days for work. This is Old Town Scottsdale.

157. The Scottsdale “waterfront.”

165. Off to the Main Street corridor of downtown Scottsdale.

170. Scottsdale Civic Center Park Path

172. Scottsdale Civic Center Park

173. Scottsdale City Hall

176. A few other scenes from downtown Scottsdale during the workweek.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 1:53 PM
Me?!?

Love it!

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 2:23 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Nice - was just in Tempe - I didn't have a lot of time to explore further but was overall delightfully surprised by what I saw. More green/trees than I expected as well.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 3:32 PM

Very nice pictures!

We were last in Phoenix in October, and it has much improved since the very first time we were there some twenty-something years ago. We really liked the Heard Museum and Musical Instrument Museum.

We've probably been to Phoenix a total of 4 or 5 times, and mostly it was on our way to someplace else. We noticed that though Phoenix is very sprawling, its freeways are basically never gridlocked. Traffic moves fairly quickly. Did you encounter that too, OhioGuy?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 5:35 PM

Thanks for taking the time to create and post these. You might have created the most comprehensive Phoenix picture post in the history of SSP. The only area you really missed was north central Phoenix, like the Murphy Bridle Path further north (north of Midtown) up Central Ave to about Northern Ave, and areas east between Phoenix and Scottsdale. But that area would be more of a fun experience and hang out rather than provide you with interesting pictures.

I was in my final year at ASU back in 2003 and remember when Ohio State won the championship. Mill Ave was a madhouse that night!

Oh yeah - the Coyotes played in at ASU's Mullett Arena the past couple of years, not in Footprint Center in DT Phoenix. You would have been in the wrong place to watch the game if you tried going to Footprint.

Last edited by PHX31; May 6, 2024 at 5:53 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 7:05 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Looks like Dry Florida. The art deco in #29 is lovely, and the cooling urban design visible throughout--but most notably in #91--is fascinating.

Tempe really looks like the best part; I admire the progress they're making. OTOH I have heard Scottsdale referenced by NIMBYs as the ideal downtown: Nice shops in single story buildings, wealthy enough for a lot of beautification, tons of parking. I will take Tempe, between them.

I love that you followed the light rail and gave us so many shots of it. It's a little jarring to be reminded that the state of transit in the US is such that cities like Phoenix can have a full-on metro, but only for the airport, and the rest of the city gets light rail at best. It's nice light rail and I enjoyed seeing it, and I'm a fan of light rail, but it still was jarring to see the step down in quality from the airport metro to the city light rail laid bare in adjacent photos.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 7:28 PM
Gatinois et fier

nice tour

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 485 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 8:42 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

This is the most comprehensive Metro Phoenix post I've ever seen on this forum and I've been here for like 25 years. Well done.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 11:14 PM

I had never seen the Mormon Temple in Mesa, thank you for posting!

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 1:54 AM

Excellent tour and beautiful photos. I was last there in 2002. I was usually there in the spring when the bougainvillea had bright blooms all over the city.

In my dozen or so times to visit relatives in the area, I almost always would drive up Hayden Rd north from Scottsdale for several miles. Hayden Rd is one of the most scenic city drives I've ever seen. I hope it's still that way.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 4:34 AM

Great pictures!

I was not aware that there was a sky train to the rental car facility. Do you know when that started? I took the bus to pick up my rental car when I was there in October 2022.

I was wondering if you climbed Hayden Butte.

I want to see Downtown Mesa some time. I think these little historic downtowns in just about every boomburb are pretty interesting. I did a phototour of Glendale's Downtown a couple years ago when I got home. To me, these historic centers are proof that you can make just about any place seem interesting or worth a quick visit.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 3:09 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I was not aware that there was a sky train to the rental car facility. Do you know when that started? I took the bus to pick up my rental car when I was there in October 2022.
You just missed it, it opened in Dec. 2022.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 3:18 PM

Excellent tour, I’m ashamed to say that I haven’t visited Phoenix other passing through a few times, and to be so close to LA. I keep saying I like to one day spend a few days checking out the area.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 3:35 AM
Community Guy

Reminds me a lot of San Antonio without the canals.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 4:47 AM

That was a fantastic tour. Looks like you had a great time exploring. Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 11:01 PM

Excellent thread. As someone who lives near downtown Mesa, works in downtown Tempe, and goes to downtown Phoenix often for work and fun, I think you captured all 3 about as well as you can in pictures.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 7:57 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
This is the most comprehensive Metro Phoenix post I've ever seen on this forum and I've been here for like 25 years. Well done.
I concur. Great set of photos, great thread

Amazing that in Phoenix you can take the airport SkyTrain directly to the light rail station and you had a smooth transfer with no waiting

Many North American cities wish they had that!

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 4:05 PM
E pluribus unum

This is an incredible photo thread. Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa have really done a lot to make the most of development along the initial light rail line (opened in 2008) and ASU Downtown has fueled a lot of activity in Downtown Phoenix

My parents and cousin were at that Fiesta Bowl when Ohio State won the championship.* I would've been there had I not needed to take a winter term class in at my college in California. As far as I'm concerned, its still Sun Devil Stadium. Ditto America West Arena and Bank One Ballpark.

*Still think the pass interference call (I know, I know) was bullshit. It might've been holding. Either way, the ref waited way too long to throw the flag.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 2:55 AM

Great pics, man - an absolutely great set.

Tempe really does look like the place to be.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos