HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 14, 2006, 7:28 AM

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/ind...dest=STY-69536

Condos drive Tempe growth
By Garin Groff, Tribune
July 13, 2006
A surge in condo construction drove development in Tempe to a near record level last year as developers built upward to make up for a lack of vacant land.

The value of new construction was the second-highest ever for the fiscal year that ended in June. It was the fourth straight increase following a huge downturn several years ago. But last year’s 150 percent jump — driven largely by high-rise and midrise buildings around Tempe Town Lake and downtown — was the largest of the boom years.

“I don’t think two years ago we had any idea this level of activity would occur,” said Chris Salamone, the city’s community development manager.

Tempe recorded $453 million worth of development in the last fiscal year, compared with $497 million in the 1997 fiscal year, the record.

Tempe should have smashed that record last year, said Chris Anaradian said, the city’s development services director.

The developer of Centerpoint Condominiums had planned to get a permit in late June for the second of four towers in its downtown project. The plan got caught up in another agency and will come in soon, Anaradian said.

The first Centerpoint tower was valued at nearly $79 million.

It is the largest single project and part of the biggest segment, multifamily housing. That category included investments totaling roughly $200 million, or 44 percent of the overall development in the city.

Much of the boom is less exciting than the high-rises. Businesses are expanding and redeveloping, resulting in a large number of smaller projects.

The actual value of the development is far higher than the city’s figures because officials used a nationwide industry standard that calculates value based on the type of development and average costs per square foot. The value doesn’t include land, financial fees or quality of development. And because the formula is several years old, it doesn’t include a surge in material and labor costs.

The actual value of the projects is closer to $800 million, or perhaps even $1 billion, city officials said.

Real estate experts and city officials said it’s impossible to predict how long the development craze will continue, but the outlook is optimistic. This year could be strong as well, because Tempe Marketplace permits will show up in this year’s reports.

Also, few projects showed up last year along Apache Boulevard, where the Metro light-rail project is expected to trigger massive redevelopment. City officials have seen lots of real estate transactions in that area in preparation for a future development. Several large projects could come as early as this year, Salamone said.

Greg Coxon, senior managing director for CB Richard Ellis, said Tempe will probably ride the wave for a few more years. The timing is perfect for more high-rise condo projects downtown and at Tempe Town Lake, barring some significant economic shift, he said.

“There’s never been a more optimistic time — and I’ve been in the business for 20 years — than what we’re at right now,” Coxon said.

Tempe’s boom has spread beyond its city limits. Downtown and lake developments are bringing lots of new workers and residents who will want different businesses in places like south Scottsdale, Coxon said. He expects a surge of redevelopment on Scottsdale Road from the Salt River to Arizona State University’s SkySong project.

“There’s a real opportunity for the city of Scottsdale to take that corridor and totally redevelop it,” Coxon said.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2006, 5:07 PM

Freight Tempe?

Andrew, have you seen anything about this project come through your offices? Apparently it is a long row of condos up against the railroad tracks that was designed by Will Bruder.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2006, 8:41 PM
Desert Urbanite

^There was a City Council review session last Thursday I believe, and 5 groups of developers/planners/architects went up in front of the council and presented their ideas and designs on the long strip of parcel from 2nd Street all the way down to almost University along the railroad tracks, between Farmer and Ash Avenue. The City Council has yet to make a decision.

-Andrew

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 2:28 AM
Skyriser

Just noticed today there was a tower crane up right on Scottsdale Rd for the Northshore development overlooking Tempe Town Lake.

I believe this is for the Onyx development, a 22 story condo tower on a parcel originally slated for a restaraunt.

Unofficial tower crane watch for Tempe:

- Hayden Ferry Lakeside office tower phase 2
- Hayden Ferry Lakeside Bridgeview phase 1
- Onyx tower
- Centerpoint
- ASU McAllister Academic village

There are huge boom cranes for Tempe Marketplace, more for Northshore, Tempe Arts Center ... am I forgetting anything?

Either way, the short list is pretty amazing.

Last edited by combusean; Jul 25, 2006 at 2:50 AM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 8:04 PM

Is the Onyx Tower taking the place of Club Rio? Is that the location you are talking about?

Tempe, Scottsdale, Phoenix, and even Glendale (westgate) are basically booming. I'd imagine our metro is the most U/C in all of the Mountain West.

I really cannot wait until the light rail is finished and being used. All of these other projects (not U/C yet) that are somehow hinging on the opening of light rail could continue this boom for years to come. Tempe and Phoenix are going to benefit greatly, and us city/skyscraper geeks will be loving it.

Let us not forget the large amount of small infill in Tempe that doesn't require cranes. It's building up quite nicely.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 8:17 PM

^Haha, the light rail is pretty nice. Tempe along the town lake is really coming together. Does anyone know what condos they are building along the 202 near the 202/101 connection. They are large, all wood, rather ugly buildings....kinda want to see a rendering to see what they plan for it to look like in the end

I think the Tempe Center for the Arts is looking rather interesting

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 8:26 PM

^ I think that is Mondrian or Northshore - I'm not sure which.

--don

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 10:14 PM
Desert Urbanite

^The building that is nearly done is Mondrian. There is a tower crane up, and that is for I believe the Onyx Tower, at 245 feet, 23 stories. Northshore will be adjacent to it.

Sean, you pretty much have all the cranes down for Tempe, tower and boom cranes. I drove to work today and took the Mill Ave. route across Town Lake, and I was amazed at all the cranes dotting the skyline.

-Andrew

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 7:41 AM

(from the opposite side as the rendering)

Mondrian- as you requested

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 11:27 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^I've been Googling and cant find a page for the Mondrian. Perhaps because its 430AM, but am I missing it? I wanted to check out floorplans/pricing.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 5:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam
^I've been Googling and cant find a page for the Mondrian. Perhaps because its 430AM, but am I missing it? I wanted to check out floorplans/pricing.
I'd NEVER buy in there. 100% wood construction... that just means your upstairs neighbors are going to keep you up every tim they take a step.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 5:48 PM

haha or a bigger problem...if someone's kitchen accidentally caught on fire while cooking...the whole place would collapse

those are pretty ugly condos....complete box...interesting coloring too....

how much are they going for?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 8:12 PM

Lay down some sand on that beach, and i'm there!!!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 1:45 PM

http://www.tempe.gov/lake/Developmen...nRendering.htm

http://www.grayclow.com/index.cfm/fu...rojectprofiles

They are apartments- not condos- which may be why so much wood construction... They may look better when finished... Besides- not too many exciting apartment complexes in Tempe!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 6:09 PM

Any Updates On The Taller Towers Around Mill Ave? Centerpoint Or The One Between Myrtle And College On University?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 8:57 AM

Demand for hotel rooms in Tempe brings building boom
Katie Nelson
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 4, 2006

Business travelers and tourists alike flocked to Tempe last year. As a result, hotel occupancy rates were some of the highest in the Valley.

New hotels are being proposed with just about every new downtown development, and it's prompting analysts to wonder: Can Tempe support the industry's growth?

The answer is yes, according to a study conducted by an Annapolis, Md., company and paid for by Tempe.

Yet the report also cautions that the number of rooms available in Tempe can expand only so far. The report said three hotel projects that are already rolling take up much of the space between "keeping up with demand" and "market saturation" - even though an additional nine hotels could be on the way.

Experts have continually pointed out that although the city is successful at attracting many out-of-towners through its extensive repertoire of events, it also fails to provide them places to spend the night. The result is lucrative bed tax and tourism dollars oozing into Phoenix and Scottsdale.

Nine new hotels that are proposed or are a possibility around Tempe's core could stop the bleed-out, according to the study. But even more likely to help are the three hotel projects already lined up, which include Hayden Ferry Lakeside, an expanded Tempe Mission Palms and Rio East.

Next week, Hayden Ferry Lakeside is expected to announce the hotelier that will take up residence in its posh master-planned project on the south bank of Tempe Town Lake, according to project manager Randy Levin.

The Tempe Mission Palms is planning an expansion that would increase the number of rooms by more than 60 percent, according to Chris Kenney, the hotel's director of marketing.

And the Pier 202 project that would go on the Rio East site by the eastern part of Town Lake intends to include an upscale hotel.

"The construction of these three projects will absorb 52 to 80 percent of the additional demand," the report says. "However, these projects will add to the segment of the Tempe hotel market that is currently underbuilt."

There are 47 hotels and motels in Tempe, with 5,371 rooms. The majority of those are smaller hotels and economy motels concentrated around Arizona State University. More than 80 percent of Tempe's hotel room rates are less than $150 a night, according to the study.

That proves there is ample room for upscale options, some say.

"It (high-rate hotels) means more tax dollars coming into the city," said Michael Martin, executive vice president of the Tempe Convention & Visitors Bureau. "And typically that type of rate will bring visitors with a higher disposable income."

Tempe officials will use the study to guide development as it grows, said Chris Messer, a principal planner for the city. It's the second hotel study the city has done in three years; the other was conducted in 2004.

"It's not an exact science to see what's out there and what's needed," Messer said. "Hotels are one of those difficult things to develop, so it's odd that a lot of the big projects almost always mention hotels. Apparently, (this study shows) there is a market for them, but no one has been able to put one together yet."

Old Posted Aug 6, 2006, 10:54 AM
Skyriser

Mondrian approaches completion ...

while the Onyx tower rises slowly from the ground:

--

I am pleased to announce that after selling my Nikon D50 earlier this year I am the proud owner of a Canon Digital Rebel 300d, which can be upgraded to have the features of the much more expensive 10d through a third party firmware. Just have the kit lens for now but upgrades are in progress.

Last edited by combusean; Aug 6, 2006 at 11:16 AM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2006, 2:15 PM

^ Congrats.

Some tips on your photos:

What are those spots on your images? They almost look like water spots on the lens. In addition, you may need to get the sensor cleaned (Tempe Camera on University will do it for $30 on your model).

Also, you should not be using your onboard flash for architectural shots. It doesn't have nearly the reach. If you don't have a tripod, get one and use a longer exposure setting.

--don

Old Posted Aug 7, 2006, 9:02 PM
zzzzzzzz

Hi guys. I'm a long-time reader, first-time poster. I'm just wondering if anyone has confirmed that the tower crane shown in that picture is for the Onyx building. For some reason it doesn't seem like a very substantial crane as far as tower cranes go... I'm thinking it may be for the Northshore condos (5 stories) on the "Playa del Norte" development. http://www.tempe.gov/lake/Developmen..._del_Norte.htm

Old Posted Aug 7, 2006, 11:14 PM
Skyriser

^ Tower cranes are usually assembled pretty short to begin with. As the building grows and is able to support the additional height and weight, the crane is jacked up to go ever higher.

As previous articles have mentioned, Onyx was to replace a restaraunt pad, which I am almost certain is "Lot 3" on the Playa del Norte site plan. I think the crane is too tall with too short a boom to construct the Northshore project.

EDIT:

After speaking with Nancy Ryan, Rio Salado Manager, I might actually be wrong about this one as it's possible Onyx isn't far enough in the permitting process. She said (but wasn't sure) that the crane was for a project around 8 stories which is a bit bigger than Northshore. Who knows anymore? I called a couple other people and got voicemails--I will post more information as I find out.

Last edited by combusean; Aug 7, 2006 at 11:36 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest