HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 5:06 AM

Cambria, CA and environs... and basically the central coast of California

My partner and I took last Thursday and Friday (5.12 - 5.13.2022) off from work just for shits and giggles and created a 4-day weekend for ourselves, and explored the central coast of California. We stayed for 2 nights in Cambria, a little seaside town. We had booked the room about a month ago, and as it turns out, while there, we enjoyed nice cool weather, while the LA area was going through a heat wave. That's one of the nice things about where we live, when it gets too hot, you can always drive somewhere to escape the heat, whether it be the coast, or the mountains.

These pictures are all over the place, no rhyme or reason---but my photo threads of places tend to be that way anyway.

We arrived in Cambria.  Lunch time!  Well, more like a very late lunch or early dinner...

Photo by me

Margarita #1.  On the rocks, no salt.  Just the way I prefer it.  But hey, I also drink it blended and salted on occasion.

Photo by me

Guac.

Photo by me

I also had an enchilada a la carta but accidentally deleted the picture later.  So here's my Margarita #2.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Moonstone Beach.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

We walked around for a few hours on the beach... and then it was dinner time.  But we weren't too hungry, so we made it more of a wine, cheese and dessert time.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Pinot grigio #1.

Photo by me

Tapenade.

Photo by me

Cheese and bread and stuff.

Photo by me

Crème brûlée.

Photo by me

We stayed at this place for a while, after the sun went down... the place closes at 9pm on Thursdays.  Cambria is a small town after all. 

Photo by me

Slightly drunk but feeling great, we walked around a bit before walking back to our inn.  Again, Cambria is a small town, so it seemed nobody was around on a Thursday night.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Cambria has 2 commercial areas, East Village and West Village.  East Village is the older, more historic area, basically the original center of town.  Our inn was in the East Village.  The West Village has more of a commercial strip kind of feel, and my guess is it was created in the 1920s or so, and is more off the main highway, with many buildings having a Tudor-style theme, probably to go with the name of the town, and to attract motorists traveling the coast. 

Photo by me

My partner is not a morning person, and I'm an early-riser... so while he slept, I showered and got ready for a brisk walk after the sun went up, to scope the place a bit to see where to get breakfast.  So I walked around the East Village a bit after I gassed up the car.

Photo by me

Cambria Historical Museum, originally the Guthrie-Bianchini House, built in 1870.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

We ended up having breakfast at the place on the left.  If a place says they serve breakfast, you'd think they'd be open at 6am or even 7am, right?  Not this place.  They didn't open until 8am.  So we waited outside for a bit.

Photo by me

I had a vegetable frittata.

Photo by me

Afterwards, we headed up the coast to Big Sur, stopping a number of times along the way to look at the views.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park, in well, Big Sur.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

I love me some redwoods.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

On the road again, headed north...

Photo by me

Photo by me

A vintage Corvette in Carmel---a place we hadn't been to in many years, actually. We usually associate it with hoity-toity people and difficult-to-find parking. But we found parking and decided to have lunch.

Photo by me

We had lunch at a building that's been around since 1944 or something, and where authors Henry Miller and John Steinbeck used to hang out and have drinks; we sat outside, though. And honestly, the weather was so nice, they didn't need to have the fireplace going.

Photo by me

Pinot grigio.

Photo by me

Duck empanadas.

Photo by me

Cobb salad.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Carmel Mission, or formally, Mission San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo, which has Basilica status in the Roman Catholic Church.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

A wedding rehearsal was going on.

Photo by me

Um...?

Photo by me

Photo by me

Creepy Jesus.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Another creepy Jesus.

Photo by me

Graves along the church wall.

Photo by me

The abalone shells represent indigenous people.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

OK enough of the Mission. Let's move on...

Photo by me

Monastery Beach.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

As many times as I've been through the central California coast, I'm still amazed by its beauty. And it's still very little-populated (and I hope will remain so), so I imagine it has looked like this for a very long time.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Haha.

Photo by me

Back in Cambria, just in time for dinner. This is West Village.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Grüner Veltliner.

Photo by me

I had a very delicious aubergine gratin.

Photo by me

This is where we had dinner.

Photo by me

After the 2nd night, we checked out of our inn and drove into the West Village.

Photo by me

I had a tuna salad sandwich for breakfast.

Photo by me

Then we went to the Piedras Blancas Light Station, built in 1874.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Elephant seals.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

The piedra blanca itself.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Back to Cambria for lunch. Saw this old Datsun Z.

Photo by me

We ate at the pub on the left.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Chocolate stout. Just one.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Salmon salad.

Photo by me

Then it was on the road again, headed south, homeward bound... And we ended up at one of our favorite mead places, in Carpinteria.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

"You're turning red," my partner says to me. "Am I?" I say. "Here, lemme take a picture." So he grabbed my camera and took some pictures of me, but in black-and-white, because I did indeed look red.

Photo by my partner

Photo by my partner

We then both wrote on the chalkboard.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Then it was onward to dinner in Carpinteria. Ah, palm trees. You can tell we're towards the southern end of the state.

Photo by me

Photo by me

The Palms indeed.

Photo by me

Little birdies.

Photo by me

A late 1970s Thunderbird.

Photo by me

We ate dinner here.

Photo by me

Margarita.

Photo by me

Oaxacan banana leaf tamales.

Photo by me

Yum!

Photo by me

Photo by me

Don't know what year this Land Cruiser is.

Photo by me

On the road again... this time to go home. Thanks for tagging along! This thread was all over the place. Small town, food, drink, nature, food, drink...

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; May 18, 2022 at 3:35 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 6:06 AM

Nice photos of a fun trip. My parents used to stay in Cambria for a week every year but I never joined them. Looks charming.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 11:45 AM

Gorgeous part of the country. I'm flying out west tomorrow for a wedding this weekend in Solvang and hope to make it to the coast or a visit with my nephew in Ojai.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 12:01 PM

Thank you for posting these photos. Big Sur and Cambria are absolutely one of the most scenic areas of the country. Cambria would be a nice place to retire to.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 2:27 PM
Me?!?

Beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Cambria would be a nice place to retire to.
My thoughts also.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 2:32 PM

Incredible thread and commentary, great eye for scenery. The detail in the mission/church photos was fantastic. It's amazing how vivid and blue the ocean water is around Monterey.

Looking forward to more of your L.A. and out of town pics.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 7:50 PM

I hadn't heard of Cambria until this thread. Looks like a beautiful place!

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Gorgeous part of the country. I'm flying out west tomorrow for a wedding this weekend in Solvang and hope to make it to the coast or a visit with my nephew in Ojai.
If you're into wine, check out Carhartt Winery in Los Olivos... a short drive north of Solvang. Lots of other tasting rooms in Los Olivos as well.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 10:17 PM
them bones

We venture up that way occasionally. Cambria is gorgeous and my kids like to go out and watch the elephant seals. Love the lighthouse shots.

Oaxaca Fresh in Carp is good. My project across the street should start construction in September and the block long dead spot on Linden will finally be gone. Cannot comment on tenants, but it will have at least 4 restaurants and a rooftop bar (a first for Carp).

Ext 04a by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

Ext 01a by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

Ext 24 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 10:30 PM
你的媽媽

Great photos and tour! Cambria and Big Sur are awesome.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 2:41 PM

Thanks for all the comments! My partner and I have been to Cambria a number of times, but only as a stopover or a day trip; this is the first time we've stayed there at a hotel. It is indeed very beautiful; I particularly love strolling along Moonstone Beach. Cambria makes a great home base to explore other areas of the central coast.

And because we were there on two regular weekdays and left on a non-holiday weekend Saturday, it was very relaxed, because it can get really crowded on a long weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Oaxaca Fresh in Carp is good. My project across the street should start construction in September and the block long dead spot on Linden will finally be gone. Cannot comment on tenants, but it will have at least 4 restaurants and a rooftop bar (a first for Carp).
I remembered that you had mentioned that project of yours a few years ago, when I posted pics of Carpinteria (a thread that no longer exists, as all the pic links have been broken), and thought of you when I saw that block. I'm very glad to know that construction will be starting up.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 3:31 PM

I love the Central Coast so much. It's just non-stop goodness from Santa Barbara up to Monterey. I think part of the appeal for people visiting from SF or LA is getting see what undeveloped California coastline looks like. It's familiar/comfortable surroundings, but such a relaxing version of it. Gets quite dramatic up in Big Sur where the mountains come right up to the ocean as well.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 5:34 PM

Lovely. Thanks for the tour.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

Photo by me

You captured my former neighborhood in this shot! In what seems like a past life, I lived in Cambria in the late 90's. My place was next to Shamel Park, which is the fenced beachside stand of Monterey cypress trees in the middle of this shot. It looks like the businesses of Cambria have changed little since I was a resident!

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 4:38 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Great trip! I’ve done that one many times, will be back there in June!

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 7:00 PM

Coastline with sheltered places for elephant seals is obviously interesting. Probably worth to check next time I visit South California. I didn't even know where Cambria or central coast of Cali referred to without checking the map.

Empanadas reminds me banh pate so that my mom used to buy from Vietnamese bakery when I was a kid. Banana leaf tamale reminds of me of Vietnamese banh tet, also wrapped in banana leaf.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Coastline with sheltered places for elephant seals is obviously interesting. Probably worth to check next time I visit South California. I didn't even know where Cambria or central coast of Cali referred to without checking the map.

Empanadas reminds me banh pate so that my mom used to buy from Vietnamese bakery when I was a kid. Banana leaf tamale reminds of me of Vietnamese banh tet, also wrapped in banana leaf.
Hehe actually, these particular empanadas from that restaurant reminded us of Cornish pasties; somehow the dough/crust had a different texture than the empanadas we're used to, and were more like pasties. And of course even among other nationalities' empanadas, there are variations.

The outside of the banana leaf tamale kind of looks like a banh tet, but they are completely different. A lot of Caribbean, African, and southeast Asian cuisine use banana leaves to steam things for both sweet and savory stuff.

~ Charles Bukowski

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos