HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 3:58 AM

[Dartmouth] United Gulf Old YMCA Site | ? m | ? fl | Proposed

Revised condo plan revives wind debate
Last Updated: Friday, November 2, 2007 | 10:02 AM AT
CBC News

The condominium towers may be thinner and taller, but regional councillors for the Dartmouth, N.S., area still wonder how a proposed development might affect the paddling course on Lake Banook.

The condo project was rejected two years ago after wind studies showed the two buildings could have an impact on the world-class course.

United Gulf Development Ltd. presented its revised plan for the former Dartmouth YMCA property to the Harbour East Community Council Thursday night.

"The solution really seemed to be to make the building less massive, just take up less space," said company spokeswoman Anne Muecke.

Under the new plan, the two towers are 17 storeys tall instead of 12, and the number of units per floor is reduced to four from eight.

But Tim Olive, head of the Downtown Dartmouth Business Commission, believes this could raise new concerns.

"When I saw it I was surprised by the height," he said.

United Gulf Developments plans to do a second wind study. The results will be ready next spring, in time for a development agreement application.

Even so, the company is planning to hold a public information meeting Monday at the Dartmouth library.

Coun. Andrew Younger stressed that United Gulf needs to keep the public up to date.

"When they do become available, some of that information should be made public. I think that would be wise," Younger said.

Councillors said the developer should learn from the "Twisted Sisters" development proposal in downtown Halifax that caused alarm, and share the wind study with the paddling community long before the condo project gets to a public hearing.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 4:05 AM

I attended the meeting held tonight and it was a mixed review. There were some who were oppose to the towers simply because they were tall, others because "they will be an unwanted eyesore on our skyline". But there were others who liked the idea of the proposal, and thought it appropriate for the site.

The new design for the towers is very similar to the old with the exception of the added floors and reduced floorplates. The towers still look the same as they did when they were proposed back in 2002. They remind of something you'd see in Vancouver, lots of glass.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 6:02 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Aren't there a number of highrise buildings around Lake Banook already?

I don't know much about this specific proposal but the central part of Dartmouth in general is pretty tired.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 3:29 PM

This United Gulf Development company, seems to be having a lot of hurtles in Halifax to develop anything.

I'm surprised their sticking around. At least their persistant.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 3:50 PM

Any renderings of the lake banook proposal around?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 6:20 PM
Honored Member

I really like Vancouver style condos. They would be a good addition to Dartmouth!

"I am so excited about Canadians ruling the world." - Prime Minister John Diefenbaker.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
But Tim Olive, head of the Downtown Dartmouth Business Commission, believes this could raise new concerns.

"When I saw it I was surprised by the height," he said.
What a shocker.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 8:36 PM
we built this city

There has got to be a rendering of these towers somewhere.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 12:56 AM

Does anyone know what happened to this proposal. I haven't seen any new buildings around Mic Mac area so I'm guessing these aren't built. Is this proposal dead?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 2:02 AM

I was thinking about these buildings the other day. No, nothing has been built. The site is the same as it was after they tore down the old YMCA. I don't think it's dead, maybe just put on hold?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 2:55 PM
You talkin' to me?

UG has a lot on their plate right now. It's probably on hold.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
UG has a lot on their plate right now. It's probably on hold.
Last i heard they switch their plans back and forth.

Not sure if that is the case and cause for the delay.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 8:42 PM

I hope UG completes everything they have on their plate. They are finishing up the apartment that they have going already, which is almost complete, but they need to do the otherone, which I think they will come to a comprimise with HRM on it. Then the UG towers will hopefully start going up. I can't wait to see those start to rise!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
I hope UG completes everything they have on their plate. They are finishing up the apartment that they have going already, which is almost complete, but they need to do the otherone, which I think they will come to a comprimise with HRM on it. Then the UG towers will hopefully start going up. I can't wait to see those start to rise!
I too am optimistic but they have a lot on their plates.

Theres this, Waterton, Texpark, some other one downtown, Halifax West, one in Bedford, and two legal battles brewing (Waterton and Bedford).

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 9:20 PM

What one did they want to put up in bedford?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
What one did they want to put up in bedford?
Well theres actually two in Bedford;

The legal battle out here is between UG, HRM and another developer over a collector road,

and the normal one is Case 01250 which there is no information really avilable for. The Planning department refuses to answer my emails on it so I'm stuck with only knowing theres a mixed-use proposal by UG on the lot.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 4:59 PM

Quote:
i believe they have less then 2 years now, maybe even closer to a year, to begin the UG under the current development agreement. If not they will be required to reapply and therefore would come in under HRM by design i believe.

Based on the market for condo's i would say UG and Halkirk won't be starting in the next 12 months.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 8:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

What is the definition of "starting" a development? Is it described anywhere, or can a developer just do a bit of site prep then wait a few years?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 8:42 PM
we built this city

I hope so... at this point I don't think they will let the agreement expire without being creative (i.e. moving some dirt around on site or something).

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
What is the definition of "starting" a development? Is it described anywhere, or can a developer just do a bit of site prep then wait a few years?
not sure the definition, but shouldn't be hard to find out

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth