HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 11:52 PM
BANNED

Q: Will Spanish have strong staying power in the US long after peak immigration?
A: I don't think so.
-- From personal experience, the third generation just don't have the desire to maintain old world customs. They're 100% Americanized and the English language is a HUGE part of that.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 2:22 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Yes.... duh

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 3:18 AM

Here in SoCal, I don't think a day goes by where I don't hear Spanish (or other languages) while out and about. Sometimes I'm even presumed to speak Spanish upon entering a restaurant in certain neighborhoods. I love it. It gives me the opportunity to try and converse in Spanish... hehe and then I give up.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 3:31 AM

Another hard no, English is way too dominating to let Spanish start taking ground on US soil. New generations always adopt English.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 3:40 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

You know you've hit a good Mexican/El Salvadorean/Whatever restaurant when nobody speaks English. Y me gusta entrenar mi español cuando puedo. Pero, tristemente, he olvidado much desde colegio. Since I also speak Romanian, it was relatively easy for me to pick up...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 5:13 AM

I think that Spanish will have staying power in the US.

I hear more Spanish than English where I live, tbh.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
You know you've hit a good Mexican/El Salvadorean/Whatever restaurant when nobody speaks English. Y me gusta entrenar mi español cuando puedo. Pero, tristemente, he olvidado much desde colegio. Since I also speak Romanian, it was relatively easy for me to pick up...
Your Spanish is quite good. At least Spanish is phonetic unlike English which makes it easier to learn.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 1:01 PM

The answer is no:

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 3:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
This is absolutely crazy (and what a failure on the part of the parents!)

This would be equivalent to me having children with my Anglo gf and raising them in, say, Ottawa, and having them grow up unilingual (with only English).

I figure that MAYBE if we move to somewhere like the heart of the USA, then yeah, despite my efforts, maybe my kids won't be fluent in my language... but if they're raised in an environment where it exists to a good degree? No way.

Even in a much less Hispanicized region than Miami (my portfolio is in Brevard County) I've had to use Spanish with handymen and/or my neighbors many times. It would be easy for a child to be in touch with the language there... let alone Miami!
My wife and I both have first cousins who speak only English and no French, and who had grandparents who spoke only French. So communication was always a challenge when the grandparents were alive. They also had and have lots of aunts and uncles who speak only French. And these people grew up for the most part in places where they could have learned French, but did not. And they also did not change countries obviously.

Moving forward my parents are bilingual in French and English and so are all of their grandkids to some degree at the moment (all under 18) though not sure going forward if all of my nieces and nephews are going to carry the French they have into adulthood or if it will lapse.

(None of this is going on in the province of Quebec BTW. These are people who live in other provinces of Canada.)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions