HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 10:10 PM

The front page was updated with the help of Delts145 and Cottonwood. Big shout out to them for helping to keep our content up-to-date. I've also gone and rehosted / cropped some of the images to help them fit within smaller screen sizes, and to keep two copies for when the source inevitably deletes the image and we are left wondering what projects actually look like That being said its a time consuming process so I haven't gone and done all of them. If you feel that something needs to be added you are always welcome to PM me what it is and any images / info you have and I'll be glad to do some more digging and to format / incorporate your content into the front page.

It only took me 1000 posts before I actually fixed the front page

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 1:57 AM

Looks great Jubguy! We also need to especially thank Isaac Riddle of Building Salt Lake. The process is made so much easier with his research and reporting already close at hand in the Compilation Thread. There's still quite a few projects to list, and there will also be an 'under construction' list after the 'proposed list' is completely updated.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 1:59 AM

Thanks for putting in the work!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 5:51 PM
Engineer

500 E South Temple

I thought the project below was dead but a new application was submitted for it today to the historic landmark commission. Looks like it's moving toward construction.

This is an old rendering. No attachments on the application yet. I'm hoping the design has improved a tad. It looks a lot like the Hardison across the street.

Also, a zoning amendment application was submitted for The Exchange (Barnes Bank building site).

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
I thought the project below was dead but a new application was submitted for it today to the historic landmark commission. Looks like it's moving toward construction.

This is an old rendering. No attachments on the application yet. I'm hoping the design has improved a tad. It looks a lot like the Hardison across the street.

They discussed this at the Central City Neighborhood Council last week. Different design in back over the rebuilt parking structure, fewer floors.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 7:01 PM

Does anyone know these traffic numbers from UDOT, if they represent an aggregate of both directions or are these volumes just one way?

http://www.udot.utah.gov/main/uconow...36119116746605

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
Does anyone know these traffic numbers from UDOT, if they represent an aggregate of both directions or are these volumes just one way?

http://www.udot.utah.gov/main/uconow...36119116746605
It looks like they are the average daily total of each sensor block. The sensor block would count traffic in both directions.

The numbers are roughly 7 years old so I would expect that many if not all of them are now higher than on the list.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 9:32 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCLvr View Post
They discussed this at the Central City Neighborhood Council last week. Different design in back over the rebuilt parking structure, fewer floors.
Perfect. Thanks! I need to go to those.

Looks like it's in the video of the session on their fb page at 24:45:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...51421718349693

I can't really tell but I think I like it better, including the shorter height.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
It looks like they are the average daily total of each sensor block. The sensor block would count traffic in both directions.

The numbers are roughly 7 years old so I would expect that many if not all of them are now higher than on the list.
Perfect, thank you. That is what I assumed.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 11:42 PM

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 12:28 AM
Engineer

I knew it was coming Isaac. That looks way better than before imo.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
I knew it was coming Isaac. That looks way better than before imo.
I'm amazed that with being half the height the unit could will only be around 25 fewer.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 5:21 PM
Transit Advocate

I don't think 100 acres of land in downtown SLC is outlandish. There is easily 100 acres of shitty surface parking lots Start at 400 south and take 8 more and you are in the ballpark. Sheraton Block has already been mentioned, but also the block of main and 600 South that is a parking lot, coffee shop and some old mostly empty buildings. Add in the Sears block. Radio shack the old mark Miller Toyota building. the blocks of shitty suburban hotels on West Temple. 100 acres of potential wasted space in this city of 10 acre blocks could be racked up pretty easily.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 11:35 PM

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankrom View Post
I don't think 100 acres of land in downtown SLC is outlandish. There is easily 100 acres of shitty surface parking lots Start at 400 south and take 8 more and you are in the ballpark. Sheraton Block has already been mentioned, but also the block of main and 600 South that is a parking lot, coffee shop and some old mostly empty buildings. Add in the Sears block. Radio shack the old mark Miller Toyota building. the blocks of shitty suburban hotels on West Temple. 100 acres of potential wasted space in this city of 10 acre blocks could be racked up pretty easily.
I don't think Amazon wants to just spread office buildings around the city. Even the two empty parking blocks (400S main, Vivint/Temple) are only 20 acres

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 4:52 AM

Last edited by Old&New; Sep 20, 2017 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 1:27 PM

2018 Nielsen Ratings

New Nielson 2018 ratings put SLC Metro as 29th largest radio market and 30th largest TV market. We jumped up a few spot from 34 last year.

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/c...kings_2017.pdf

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 3:46 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
I don't think Amazon wants to just spread office buildings around the city. Even the two empty parking blocks (400S main, Vivint/Temple) are only 20 acres
The rfp says parcels don't have to be contiguous with one another, but Amazon would like them to be close. The buildings of their Seattle campus are scattered all over, but are still somewhat close to each other (all well within a mile of each other). Like Old&New demonstrated, 100 acres could be accumulated over time in roughly the same part of town.

The problem lies with whether or not Amazon wants that land up front. If they do, 100 acres is impossible. You would have to get 15-20 landowners involved, maybe more. If they're fine starting with a smaller acreage in an area of town where they could eventually expand to 100 acres, as they have expanded in Seattle over time, then we're probably good, especially considering land is significantly cheaper here than almost any city that could possibly be under consideration. Although I do expect a jump in land value if Amazon did somehow end up choosing Salt Lake, I believe it would remain significantly cheaper than some of the "top cities" under consideration.

If Salt Lake did pitch the 400 S Main site, they would likely get together a few significant landowners in the area (CCRI, SL County, Holdings, Patrinely), sell the ~25 acres of parcels as the perfect location that passes all the requirements with flying colors, and demonstrate that there is plenty of opportunity for expansion to other parcels if they need it.

Fact of the matter is, though, Amazon listed 100 acres as a "priority for consideration", and not a requirement. If Amazon ends up building a downtown campus that is anything like Seattle's, they aren't going to need 100 acres of land for 8,000,000 sq ft of office space. They wouldn't even need 50. Possibly not even 30, if they build to the same heights as their buildings in Seattle. But I'm thinking their new HQ will be quite different from what they've built in Seattle. I'm interested to see what they come up with.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 4:09 PM

I also think the 100 acres is for straight greenfield office park environments and may not be the same for Urban environments. This is due to the full infrastructure in place in urban environments. The need to build internal roadways and large parking structures is less to near unneeded in urban environments.

When you think of suburban office parks, up to 70% of the land is used for parking. It is possible that in an urban environment, they may not be seeking the same amount of land as in suburban areas. By this, an urban location may need 30 to 50 acres at most where the suburban location would need all 100+ acres.

Going down to possibly 30 to 50 acres for an urban environment could make SLC more appealing due to the block sizes allowing greater inter-connectivity between buildings.

We could possibly even have the initial requirements (500,000 sq ft) completed in a couple of years if the Patrinely Group built phase 1 and 2 at the same time. This would be approximately 600,000 sq ft of space with 500,000+ possibly available. This also gives them time to finalize plans for the 4th South block purchase as well as possible deals for the Western half of the Little America block.

For better transit access, SLC and UTA could build the 650s Main Trax stop while the Patrinely group builds their buildings.

While it is a long shot, this is still in the realm of possibility.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 3:26 PM

Thank you Delts for updating the front page. It looks outstanding!

Isaac- thank you for you informative and illustrative information.

Anyways. I really like how 4th south is starting to change. As well as Sugar House and the Gateway/surrounding areas and last but not least the Central 9th south area. A renaissance of residential growth for Salt Lake City. I know it isn't the so badly wanted signature towers but I love that the density is increasing. Even if not all the projects have street level shops. Downtown might have had industrial density at one point, but this residential density is great.

Last edited by Cottonwood; Sep 21, 2017 at 3:52 PM. Reason: removed off topic remarks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West