HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 6:48 PM

I'd suspect that Sterling Bay/JP Morgan has a plan B and plan C for Lincoln Yards.
The rest of the big developments feel more tentative.

I'm curious to see if the leasing logjam breaks now that Amazon has finally decided. Lots of big names looking for space.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 8:14 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
One moment I remember at LGA was coming back home during Lollapalooza weekend Thursday evening. These girls were so excited that they got "group 2" boarding. Their reaction was priceless when they saw 3/4 of the plane board before. All business travelers.
I always get at least Group 2 on United because I hold their Visa, but it's become rather meaningless. I think it's odd they even bother to have more than three groups given how most of their flights actually get boarded. The only plus to always getting Group 2 is that it usually means that, even with all those business travelers going first, there's enough room for my carry-on.
My current active camera gear: Nikon D750, Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 zoom, Nikon 85mm f1.8G, Nikon 50mm f1.4D, Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6, Nikkor 135mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikkor 55mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikon PB-4 Bellows. Collectible gear: Nikon F4s, Nikon D1, Nikon N4004s (my very first SLR)

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 9:10 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
I'd suspect that Sterling Bay/JP Morgan has a plan B and plan C for Lincoln Yards.

I'm curious to see if the leasing logjam breaks now that Amazon has finally decided. Lots of big names looking for space.
Hmmm I don't know, I agree with emathias that "The 78" has the edge over Lincoln Yards right now, at least location-wise

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Amazon HQ2 is going to New York and Virginia. It will be split evenly between Long Island City in Queens and Crystal City in northern Va. Sad, but a wise decision to stay away from our shithole state.

There was mention, however, that Amazon is looking to build "major sites" in several other cities. So everybody gets a trophy.

The two largest offices for Amazon, outside of Seattle, are in the NYC and DC areas. They weren't going to choose Chicago...this was about extracting incentives for what is essentially an office expansion. It has nothing to do with taxes, regulations, bureaucracy, or whatever warped reason self-deprecating Illinoisans may dream up for why Chicago didn't get picked. There is no way in hell that Queens, of all places, is less corrupt, less regulated, and less complicated in terms of bureaucracy than Chicago.

As for shithole state...you must be confused since that's clearly Indiana (or Michigan which is resembles New York circa 1989). I'd say Ohio but that would be an insult to shitholes.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Hmmm I don't know, I agree with emathias that "The 78" has the edge over Lincoln Yards right now, at least location-wise
Not if you don’t have a huge anchor. You could start knocking chunks of LY off for residential tomorrow and do great if the approvals were in hand. Though I think they are still courting Amazon alternatives...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Wasn't it ardecila that said the 78 had a better location? They're both two of my favorite posters, so I'm fine agreeing with either. I think Lincoln Yards and the north branch in general are well suited for robotics/AI labs and start-ups. I'm imagining a live-work district with showrooms for the public to check out emerging technology and buy stuff. That may slow or prevent the mega developments from taking hold. I don't see how these areas are attractive to major corporations without major infrastructure improvements. Even then it's hard to see how it competes with the 78 site. Interestingly enough, it's the same distance between Goose Island and Ogilvie as it is between the 78 and Ogilvie (1.4 mi). Union is a bit closer to the 78.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
amazon news isn't unexpected but it's still GREAT to hear, major win for chicago
I think by "major win" you really mean dodged a bullet. . .

. . .

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 11:39 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post

I think Plan B and Plan C for these parcels was always going to be less intensive and more residential, I expect they will acquiesce in part to the aldermen's demands for more park space. Other components like the soccer stadium only made sense in the context of a massive infrastructure package, which in turn only made sense in the context of a huge anchor tenant. TBH the Finkl area and the big FFM site, given their relative lack of transit access, are better suited to low-rise multifamily and townhouse developments. We've seen almost no new supply of townhouses since the recession. Of course, that conflicts with the city's new zoning so expect that to be controversial.

Maybe the North Branch as a whole can continue to develop office at the south end where train stations are reasonably walkable. The "River District" on the Tribune site and the O'Donnell project just north of it can attract office, they are a reasonable walk from the Blue Line and can easily run shuttles around the congestion to Union/Ogilvie with only a minor new road connection through the Blommer Chocolate property.

On the other hand, the 78 has the best transit access out of the various megaprojects, with the Red Line tracks literally right on site. If the construction cost of a new station doesn't literally destroy the city's budget.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I always get at least Group 2 on United because I hold their Visa, but it's become rather meaningless. I think it's odd they even bother to have more than three groups given how most of their flights actually get boarded. The only plus to always getting Group 2 is that it usually means that, even with all those business travelers going first, there's enough room for my carry-on.
Yeah, it really depends on when you travel and between what cities but between/from a few it's pretty much pointless except for the overhead space. Monday morning, Thursday afternoon, etc from/to cities like Chicago, NYC, Boston, DC, Atlanta, Dallas, etc pretty much pointless - you aren't going to get on the plane fast unless you have higher status. I stopped traveling nearly 2 years ago now, but still have some status and literally the only reason I find it useful is for the overhead space issues. I have pre-check (get it if you don't have it) so as long as the airport has it and it's open (F*ck LGA on this - they close the line at like 7pm - so dumb and there's pretty much no such thing as priority line at the American terminal anyway), the priority security line doesn't even matter anymore.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I think Plan B and Plan C for these parcels was always going to be less intensive and more residential, I expect they will acquiesce in part to the aldermen's demands for more park space. Other components like the soccer stadium only made sense in the context of a massive infrastructure package, which in turn only made sense in the context of a huge anchor tenant. TBH the North Branch parcels, given their relative lack of transit access, are better suited to low-rise multifamily and townhouse developments. We've seen almost no new supply of townhouses since the recession.

Maybe the North Branch as a whole can continue to develop office at the south end where train stations are reasonably walkable. The "River District" on the Tribune site and the O'Donnell project just north of it can attract office, they are a reasonable walk from the Blue Line and can easily run shuttles around the congestion to Union/Ogilvie with only a minor new road connection through the Blommer Chocolate property.

On the other hand, the 78 has the best transit access out of the various megaprojects, with the Red Line tracks literally right on site. If the construction cost of a new station doesn't literally destroy the city's budget.
If somebody put a gun to my head I'd say plan B was a more traditional office user but one that takes up less sq ft. Rebalance with more residential on the LP side of the project. Plan C could be basically all residential but with significant gives to get approvals, mid-rise and townhomes pretty much for sure given the attitude of the neighbors. I only rate the odds at LY better than most given it's rather prime position straddling Bucktown and Lincoln Park with the 808 going to run right through the middle.

Absent a mega-tenant like Amazon (or someone of near caliber) I'd expect office development to largely proceed as it has in River North, West Loop, Loop, and Fulton Market. Which I've got no problem with since diverse steady growth is really healthier in the long run.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Yeah. . . the United Visa card is good for the boarding group, checked bag and Untied Club passes (although you're essentially buying them at the end of the day) but it's still worth it for the miles that I accumulate. . .

Also I wonder where these people buy tickets from that are in boarding group 5. . . I mean, really???

. . .

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Also I wonder where these people buy tickets from that are in boarding group 5. . . I mean, really???

. . .
That's for the "basic economy" folks...... Don't ever do that if you don't have to.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Yeah. . . the United Visa card is good for the boarding group, checked bag and Untied Club passes (although you're essentially buying them at the end of the day) but it's still worth it for the miles that I accumulate. . .

. . .
Oh yeah - forgot the checked bag perks. Those are nice too. Where are they buying from? Just normally online or through like Cheap-O-Air or something like that. I always feel bad for them. American Airlines doesn't even hide the fact anymore that they won't get overhead baggage space. They will announce now if you are in one of the last groups, then you should just check your bag in for free basically on flights to or from a city with a lot of business travelers.

By the way, does the United card get you into the business class lounge if you are traveling internationally?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:12 AM

Quote:

. . .
Us Group 5 people pay cash via debit cards for airline tickets. We don't revolve short term debt at 19% APR. We don't pay $95 annual fees every year. And we don't try to impress others with a plastic card in our wallet that allows us to rack up debt while spending 12-18% more on each purchase than someone paying cash.

The average American has $6,375 of credit card debt, but let me guess: everyone here pays off the balance in full every month.

Group 5!

Last edited by Stockerzzz; Nov 14, 2018 at 1:36 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:28 AM

I was gonna say I just do it because its the cheapest and I usually travel light with only a duffel bag that I can fit under my seat. It's only a few hours of my life so why would I pay more?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisMolotov View Post
I was gonna say I just do it because its the cheapest and I usually travel light with only a duffel bag that I can fit under my seat. It's only a few hours of my life so why would I pay more?
If you travel more than a handful of times per year then it can be worth it, otherwise it's not if you're only flying once or twice maximum per year.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 4:50 AM
>~< , QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
Us Group 5 people pay cash via debit cards for airline tickets. We don't revolve short term debt at 19% APR. We don't pay $95 annual fees every year. And we don't try to impress others with a plastic card in our wallet that allows us to rack up debt while spending 12-18% more on each purchase than someone paying cash.

The average American has $6,375 of credit card debt, but let me guess: everyone here pays off the balance in full every month.

Group 5!
I have credit cards (that I pay off every month), but still group 5... even if I'm charging it to the grant because any money spent on travel is less money to pay me or buy equipment...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
i do and always have. and i get sign up bonuses, points, de facto rental/trip insurance, purchase protection, and an 800+ credit score ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you have the discipline to pay it off every month, it seems silly to use cash or debit instead. If you don't have the discipline or are prone to overspend beyond your means, than sure cut up the plastic. Whatever works for you is the correct answer, but it is possible to use CCs responsibly (and to your benefit)

Last edited by Via Chicago; Nov 14, 2018 at 5:15 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 6:21 AM

I have businesses where we spend a shit ton on expenses and can use cards responsibly and just rack up mountains of points. I basically run a big chunk of materials purchases for my rehabs through my AMEX and pay it off literally same day since I am constantly drawing on my construction line to pay those expenses anyhow. I also put my car down payment on my card and we put our entire wedding on cards. We paid all the bills off immediately and now have huge credit limits and lots of points. We were able to cover almost our entire honeymoon with points, basically only had to pay for stuff we actually bought while there since the hotels and flights were covered with points. If you use cards responsibly you win as the consumer.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i do and always have. and i get sign up bonuses, points, de facto rental/trip insurance, purchase protection, and an 800+ credit score ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you have the discipline to pay it off every month, it seems silly to use cash or debit instead. If you don't have the discipline or are prone to overspend beyond your means, than sure cut up the plastic. Whatever works for you is the correct answer, but it is possible to use CCs responsibly (and to your benefit)
Debit cards have the same purchase protection.

Using credit cards reduces the friction in each purchase which encourages overspending. Sure, you may think the points are worth it and you're outsmarting Visa (market cap: $319B) and Mastercard (market cap: $209B), but you're spending more than you normally would by using credit.

Quote:
One of the most often cited studies is one conducted by Dun & Bradstreet, where the company found that people spend 12-18% more when using credit cards instead of cash. McDonald's reports its average ticket is $7 when people use credit cards versus $4.50 for cash.
If you get 2% cash back, you need to spend $100,000 on credit cards to make $2,000. But at the same time you just overspent by 12-18%.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest