HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
World Cup of hockey how many Canadians say no? Just saying, NBA is the "all about me and me only" league!
So what of the NHL during the last lockout?

Yup, all about me! Already a millionaire, but to stay in playing shape I will go overseas and take some random pro hockey player's job. You know, that job he and his family were depending on to just barely get by. Meanwhile, most of my peers opted to stay home and train without taking some guy's job.

Quote:
As in the 2004–05 NHL lockout, the players had numerous options for playing professional hockey during the lockout. All players eligible for the American Hockey League were assigned to their AHL clubs leading into the lockout, as were players still eligible to play junior hockey.[48] More experienced players sought employment in European leagues such as the predominantly Russian Kontinental Hockey League (KHL), Finland's SM-liiga, Germany's Deutsche Eishockey Liga (DEL), Austria's Erste Bank Hockey League (EBEL), the Czech Extraliga (ELH), the Slovak Extraliga, Switzerland's National League A (NLA), Norway's GET-ligaen, the United Kingdom's Elite Ice Hockey League (EIHL) and the Swedish Elitserien (SEL), the last of which largely resisted signing locked-out NHL players.[49][50]

By November 15, over 170 NHL players had joined teams in Europe. Pavel Datsyuk, Ilya Kovalchuk, Evgeni Malkin, and Alexander Ovechkin were among the stars who returned to their native Russia. Nicklas Bäckström had also decided to play in Russia together with his teammate Ovechkin. Other players, such as Patrice Bergeron, Logan Couture, Patrick Kane, Rick Nash, Matt Duchene, Tyler Seguin, Jason Spezza, Max Pacioretty, John Tavares, Joe Thornton and Henrik Zetterberg, signed with teams in Switzerland.[51]

The assignment of NHL players to the AHL caused a trickle-down effect that has pushed AHL players to the ECHL, ECHL players to lower leagues such as the CHL, FHL and SPHL, and marginal players from those leagues out of professional hockey.[52]

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 10:41 PM

Canada facing uphill battle after loss to Australia in FIBA World Cup opener
Team Canada will face must-win match vs. Lithuania on Tuesday in China
Lori Ewing The Canadian Press September 1, 2019

Nick Nurse had said Canada would need to play extraordinary basketball to survive at the FIBA World Cup — missing most of its biggest stars, and playing in arguably the toughest group in the global tournament, nothing less would be good enough.

The overmatched Canadians played an extraordinary third quarter in their World Cup opener against Australia on Sunday, but the Aussies responded with an even better fourth. And now Canada faces a mammoth task to reach the second round after a 108-92 loss.

Khem Birch scored 18 points, while Cory Joseph added 16 to lead the 23rd-ranked Canadians, who roared back from a 17-point deficit in the third quarter only to fall apart in the fourth.

"We had some extraordinary moments tonight," Nurse said from Dongguan, China. "We've just got to stretch them out a little bit and go from there."

Now, likely nothing less than a victory over No. 7 Lithuania on Tuesday would get Canada to the next round.

So, can the Canadian squad bounce back?

"I guess we are going to have to find out," Nurse said. "We don't really have a choice other than to learn what we can from this game and pick ourselves up and come out and play. For us, we would have probably thought we would have to win the first two [games] to have any chance — and obviously the third [against Senegal on Thursday].

"We were hoping to get this one tonight and we didn't so that puts us in a kind of must-win scenario for the next one."

17 years between World Cup wins

Kevin Pangos chipped in with 14 points and eight assists for Canada.

Matthew Dellavedova scored three of his six three-pointers in the fourth quarter to lead No. 11 Australia with 24 points. Chris Goulding added 16, while Patty Mills had 15.

We didn't seem to be catching any breaks with the ball early, and didn't shoot it especially well. ... But we put a heck of a third quarter together.
— Canada head coach Nick Nurse on a 16-point loss to Australia

The World Cup game was the Canadians' first since the 2010 tournament in Turkey, where they went 0-5 and finished 22nd out of 24 teams.

The last time Canada won a World Cup game was 17 years ago almost to the day — a victory over Venezuela to finish 13th at the 2002 tournament in Indiana.

For 10 minutes on Sunday, Canada looked poised to break that drought. Trailing by as many as 17 points, the Canadians roared out of halftime with a 25-7 run, and clutched a one-point lead to start the fourth. Then they went ice cold. Andrew Bogut's floating jumper with 6:24 to play capped a 16-2 Boomers run and put the green and gold up by 13 points. A Joe Ingles three-pointer with about three minutes to play made it a 16-point Aussie advantage, and it was game over.

"The start wasn't very good and the end wasn't very good and I thought the middle was excellent," Nurse said. "We didn't seem to be catching any breaks with the ball bouncing our way early, and didn't shoot it especially well … But we regrouped and put a heck of a third quarter together. Just had another bad stretch to start the fourth and then a really bad stretch in the fourth there where we just couldn't shut their water off."

Australia outscored Canada 28-6 over the first 8:44 of the fourth quarter — an ugly stretch that killed Canada's hopes, and surely had Canadian fans wistfully thinking of what might have been.

"This game is done, just got to flush it and go on," said a glum Joseph, speaking barely above a whisper.

'Can't dwell on this game'

In a summer that had the potential to usher in the country's golden age in basketball, Canada was expected to field a team stocked with NBA talent in China. But after Canada Basketball listed 17 NBA players on its camp invitation list, far fewer showed up as one by one the country's biggest stars opted out of national team duty.

As a country, Canada boasts the second-most players in the NBA behind the U.S.

But as a Canadian team? Joseph (Sacramento) and Birch (Orlando) are the only two here.

"Just can't dwell on this game. We've got to move on," Birch said after the loss. "We've got to play how we did in the third quarter from the beginning next game."

Had Kelly Olynyk not injured a knee in the team's exhibition opener versus Nigeria, Canada would have had three NBA players in China.

The Aussies, meanwhile, boasted five NBAers — Mills, Bogut, Ingles, Dellavedova, and Aron Baynes — and were just a week removed from shocking the U.S. in a four-point exhibition victory, the first loss by the Americans since 2006.

Australia took an early lead Sunday and Goulding's three-pointer at the buzzer sent the Aussies into the second quarter with a 29-20 advantage.

Australia would stretch its lead to 17 points late in the second , but a pair of quick buckets by Canada sliced the deficit to 12 points, and Canada went into the halftime break trailing 52-40.

Fouls Canada's downfall

The Canadians roared out of the break with an 11-0 run that sliced the Aussies' advantage to just a point, and when Pangos hit a three-pointer with 6:51 left in the third quarter, the shot from deep gave Canada its first lead of the game since its opening basket. Birch threw down an emphatic dunk as part of Canada's third-quarter burst, racing back down the court with his arms outstretched like an airplane.

Thomas Scrubb's three with 11 seconds left in the quarter sent Canada into the fourth with a 77-76 advantage.

Foul trouble plagued the Canadians from the opening tip — many of them drawn by Utah veteran Ingles. The Canadians were whistled for 12 fouls in the first half compared to four for Australia, and a fed-up Nurse picked up a technical foul early in the second quarter. Joseph had to take a seat with his third foul, a head-scratcher, soon after, when he tripped over Mitch Creek's outstretched leg.

"I've got no comment on those guys," Joseph said of the referees.

Sunday's crowd at a packed Dongguan Basketball Centre was pro-Australia, but the Raptors' presence was definitely felt. The in-game host interviewed a fan in a No. 2 Kawhi Leonard Raptors jersey, signing off with "We the North!" Other fans were spotted in Kyle Lowry and Pascal Siakam jerseys.

Lithuania, led by former Raptors centre Jonas Valanciunas, played 33rd-seeded Senegal in the late game.

Only the top two teams in each group advance to the second round, while the bottom two teams are relegated to the classification side of the draw.

Seven teams from the World Cup earn automatic berths for the 2020 Olympics, while another 16 teams will play in second-chance qualifying tournaments next summer.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 2:41 PM

It was unlikely that they moved past group stage. One of the toughest groups. Bright side is that they will not get an automatic pass to the Olympics which means more playing time together (and hopefully becomes a bit more cohesive). A win vs Senegal would be nice just to get the monkey off their back but a win vs Lithuania would be improbable.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 10:34 PM

Terrible performance. Lithuania blows out Canada. Now they have to win their next tournament to qualify for the Olympics. I haven't seen the dates for when it starts. Anyone know?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Terrible performance. Lithuania blows out Canada. Now they have to win their next tournament to qualify for the Olympics. I haven't seen the dates for when it starts. Anyone know?
Heard next spring/early summer mentioned on Primetime. I guess it would have to be very early summer though at the latest.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 3:43 AM

Well, here you have it. Kuzma could miss time.

Tatum and some other guys missed games in the FIBA but escaped serious injury.

I have no problem with pros in this part of the world skipping a tournament their countries don't care about.

Quote:
On a related note, the Los Angeles Lakers announced today that forward Kyle Kuzma will be out indefinitely, due to a “stress reaction” in his foot. According to the team, he developed the injury while training with Team USA over the summer. His last Team USA appearance was an Aug. 24 exhibition win over Australia, in which he scored 12 points in slightly more than 19 minutes of playing time.
Quote:
Team USA was without Jayson Tatum (sprained left ankle) in Wednesday's loss, his fourth consecutive game missed.
From 2014, when their team was actually loaded with stars:
Quote:
Here's some context. About 1.3 million American viewers tuned in to see Team USA beat Turkey. That's out of 314 million Americans, so about 0.4 percent of Americans watched that game. Turkey managed to have 1 million viewers itself despite a population of 74 million and, based on what the internet and common sense tell us, far fewer television households. So 1.3 percent of Turks watched the game, a rate four times as high as that of the United States.

This isn't anyone's fault per se. It's no kind of outrage. And admittedly, these games are on in the middle of the day in the United States, right as football season begins and starting at the beginning of a holiday weekend when it's exceedingly popular to go outside.

It's just a stunning reality that some of the best players in the world, with unique combinations we'll never see at the NBA level, playing for their country's pride against a good opponent, barely outdraws reruns of The Pioneer Woman and a random Spongebob episode in the 18-49 demographic! By and large, Americans just do not care about the FIBA World Cup.

As the league debates the role of NBA players in the tournament in the future, that matters.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 6:09 PM
Registered Drug User

I know it's just the preseason, but hope springs eternal. Toronto has a lot of young new guys that look decent. And I'm liking Chris Boucher, the kid from Montreal. He showed a lot of confidence last year that his talent couldn't really match, but I'm thinking that maybe this year his talent will catch up to his confidence and produce dividends.

I'm also really anxious to see if Pascal Siakam and OG Anunoby step it up to their next respective levels. If Pascal lives up to being "the man" this year then Toronto could make a decent run in the playoffs.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 6:20 PM

Pascal looked good against Houston. He seems like he has very strong character and will be one of those guys who addresses some deficiency every year and comes back better. We're going to need that if he's to be the focal point of the offense.

I foresee a year similar to the ones previous to Kawhi. A strong regular season, this time built on good team defense and fundamentals. Likely won't have the individual star power to get past a Philly or Milwaukee this time, but this is possibly the most balanced the league has been since Lebron went to Miami in 2010. Anything can happen once you're in the playoffs.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 7:10 PM

Kawhi in Vancouver tonight!
Go Clippers!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 7:28 PM

On October 22, the Toronto Raptors, who are the defending champions, will host the championship ring ceremony and play against the New Orleans Pelicans at the Scotiabank Arena. I can't wait. One of the best things about this time of year is having our teams back in action.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 5:03 AM
Registered Drug User

I honestly don't know how I'd cope with winter if it wasn't for basketball. Anticipating and watching Raptors games is one of the only things that keeps me going.

Fun game tonight against Brooklyn. Damn it, the Raps get absolutely no respect, what with all the talk of how wide open things are, how the movement of various superstars have realigned the league. People seem to be downplaying or forgetting the fact that Toronto won a ton of games without Kawhi in the lineup.

Though I gotta say, having watched snippets of various preseason games, there really is something special in the air this year. There's no clear frontrunner, lots of teams look really different, and it feels like everything is up for grabs.

Dallas looks legit. Luka Doncic is a wonderkid who is already doing great things with Porzingis. Houston could either be stratospherically great with the addition of Westbrook, or the experiment won't work (undoubtedly they'll flameout in the playoffs either way). The Lakers and Clippers will be really good, and the 76ers and Bucks will probably end up in the Eastern Conference finals against each other, I figure.

But you know who's totally living up to the hype so far? Zion Williamson, the flying bulldozer. He's gotta be the most exciting rookie to come into the league in years. I can't wait to see how he matches up against the better players in the league.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I honestly don't know how I'd cope with winter if it wasn't for basketball. Anticipating and watching Raptors games is one of the only things that keeps me going.

Fun game tonight against Brooklyn. Damn it, the Raps get absolutely no respect, what with all the talk of how wide open things are, how the movement of various superstars have realigned the league. People seem to be downplaying or forgetting the fact that Toronto won a ton of games without Kawhi in the lineup.

Though I gotta say, having watched snippets of various preseason games, there really is something special in the air this year. There's no clear frontrunner, lots of teams look really different, and it feels like everything is up for grabs.

Dallas looks legit. Luka Doncic is a wonderkid who is already doing great things with Porzingis. Houston could either be stratospherically great with the addition of Westbrook, or the experiment won't work (undoubtedly they'll flameout in the playoffs either way). The Lakers and Clippers will be really good, and the 76ers and Bucks will probably end up in the Eastern Conference finals against each other, I figure.

But you know who's totally living up to the hype so far? Zion Williamson, the flying bulldozer. He's gotta be the most exciting rookie to come into the league in years. I can't wait to see how he matches up against the better players in the league.
I hope Zion's knees hold up. Big body and so incredibly athletic, a very creative finisher at the rim, and certainly will be fun to watch.

Raptors really do look good, and could easily see them in the second round or even conference finals in the weak east. Miami is one team that I am very interested in after watching a few of their games. Very versatile team that should be able to defend any type of line up well.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
I hope Zion's knees hold up. Big body and so incredibly athletic, a very creative finisher at the rim, and certainly will be fun to watch.

Raptors really do look good, and could easily see them in the second round or even conference finals in the weak east. Miami is one team that I am very interested in after watching a few of their games. Very versatile team that should be able to defend any type of line up well.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/10/...post-id=142509 Dang I called that one regrettably. Won't be seeing Zion till December at best. Was going to be really fun watching him square off against the Raps tomorrow.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:23 PM

Everyone's been saying Zion needs to shed some weight if he wants to actually play a full career. I've never seen such a big body move so fast and so violently. It's like Russell Westbrook playing in Charles Barkley's body.

I hope he can slim down and still play his style of basketball, or else I fear he will end up as Greg Oden 2.0.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:40 PM
The New Republic

Exhibition Games

Carleton 78, South Florida 69
Carleton 80, Valparaiso 83
Carleton 90, Albany 77

Next Up:

Carleton @ Syracuse (October 29th)

Last edited by isaidso; Oct 21, 2019 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 2:28 PM

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 5:24 PM

I think they just started an arms race with having the biggest rings and biggest diamond ever. For instance, you see what Steve Ballmer is doing with the Clips right now. If they win it all, I can't even imagine what statement he's going to make with their rings.

For now, I will enjoy the feeling and get myself one of those replicas for $20 when they're in stock again.

Also, not a big fan of WORLD CHAMPIONS. Many other teams have NBA CHAMPIONS. As Canadians, we shouldn't be doing this. I was glad when we didn't have trash reality TV full of nut jobs or other greasy American style cultural phenomenons, but it was only a matter of time. Unless it was something forbidden by law.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 5:51 PM

World Champions is a stretch but hey at least it's in 2 nations. It bugs me when the NFL does that. The Superbowl is the NFL's World Championship game....WTF?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 7:05 PM
The New Republic

Agree it's beyond obnoxious. It's not a World Championship when you only have teams from 2 countries that can vy for it.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 6:00 PM

Eli Pasquale, Olympian and Canadian Basketball Hall of Famer, dies at 59
'Canada has lost one of its greatest athletes,' said former teammate Dwight Walton
John Chidley-Hill The Canadian Press Nov 05, 2019

Trace Canada's current golden age of basketball back to its roots and the name Eli Pasquale will keep coming up.

Pasquale, a two-time Olympian who played at four world championships over his career, died Monday of cancer at age 59. The Canadian Basketball Hall of Famer from Sudbury, Ont., reached national prominence as the point guard for the University of Victoria Vikes, where he inspired a new generation of players.

"If you asked Steve Nash who the best point guard was in Canada, he would say Eli," said Ken Shields, who was head coach of the Vikes when Pasquale led them to five straight Canadian university titles. "He had a huge impact on Steve. Had Eli been playing today, he would have been in the NBA. There's no question."

Pasquale led Canada to a fourth-place finish at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. He returned to the Games four years later in Seoul and helped Canada to a sixth-place showing. According to Shields, who also coached Canada's national team from 1990 to 1994, Pasquale was on track to return to a third Olympics when he was sidelined by an injury.

But Pasquale's involvement in Canada's basketball didn't end there. He became a coach himself, running basketball camps in Victoria.

"He's inspired and influenced youth basketball, hundreds of youth players in the city," Shields said. "There's no other player in Canada's that has had the impact that Eli had in Victoria."

Triano mourns loss of teammate

Pasquale's passing touched many other prominent names in Canadian basketball as word of his death spread Tuesday.

"It's a sad day for basketball in our country," Charlotte Hornets assistant coach and former Canadian national team coach/player Jay Triano said. "We were backcourt mates and travelled the world together for eight years as the starting backcourt for our national team. Today really hurts as I have lost a friend and a teammate."

Pasquale's Vikes won their five consecutive national championships from 1980-84.

He was one of the stars of Canada's 1983 World University Games team that upset the United States in the tournament's semifinal, defeating an American squad led by future NBA legends Charles Barkley and Karl Malone. Pasquale was then instrumental in shutting down Yugoslavia's Drazen Petrovic in the final to help Canada win gold.

Drafted by Seattle

Pasquale was selected by the Seattle SuperSonics in the fifth round of the 1984 NBA Draft and played three pre-season games for the team before being released. He later played pro basketball in Argentina, West Germany and Switzerland.

After a five-year absence from the national team, Pasquale returned at age 37 to play in the 1997 Tournament of the Americas, helping Canada qualify for the 1998 world championship.

"Canada has lost one of its greatest athletes," former teammate Dwight Walton said on Twitter. "A winner and a class act in every sense of the word. I was proud to call him a teammate and more importantly, a friend. Eli Pasquale has passed away. My sincerest condolences to his family and friends. May he rest in peace."

Pasquale, who represented Canada at the Pan Am Games on two occasions, was inducted into the Canadian Basketball Hall of Fame in 2003.

He is survived by wife Karen, sons Isiah and Manny, brother Vito, sister Luciana and mother Adriana. Funeral arrangements were pending.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada