HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
How do you guys feel about having a new thread for the Sutton Hotel and Residences, and another thread for the Wawanesa building? I find it easier to navigate smaller threads and find renders and info when its not lumped together with a a thread started in 2015. The first two buildings have been complete for a long time now and their construction really isn't related to these projects.
100% on board with this. The project is just so big that it makes sense to separate the newer components. Like I mentioned before, the OP of this thread is long gone so we can't even update page 1 with statuses, updated renders/photos, etc.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 5:55 PM

height/Floor count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
I’ll set them up
Curious...Is there anyway to adjust the incorrect heights and # of floors for this site?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 8:01 PM

Flooding at True North Square

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
What a pain in the ass that would be. I would be pissed!!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 9:47 PM

Welp, since I don't see a separate thread for the Wawanesa project, here's a shot of them starting the foundation work.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 10:29 PM
keep the good times going

I don't see the shot Grump... but thank you for your service in updating us

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
I don't see the shot Grump... but thank you for your service in updating us
I see it, maybe your browser settings

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 3:53 AM
Transit Nerd

Well, once Pallister is done shitting all over private enterprise in Manitoba, I'd love to see the influx of thousands of office workers drastically turning around the financial prospects of CityPlace, its food court, and anything else within a 5-minute walking radius... convention centre? local bars? Portage Place? The trickle-down effects on local businesses would most definitely make up for lost business - or at least, the businesses that him and Trudeau DIDN'T destroy...

I'm curious, is Shannons still across from the convention centre? That bar, for example, could see drastic influxes of patrons from these three (True/Sandman/Wawa) developments, plus other hotels, convention centre traffic, the coming gentrification and shutdown of the problem establishments (Windsor Hotel) due to bankruptcy, WPS, bedbus and other factors... it will help to cleanup and solidify the western part of Downtown Winnipeg, along with the Great Wall of Memorial developments (Inuit Art Centre, high rise housing, future U of W development) to boost property values and foot traffic considerably.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 4:56 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Well, once Pallister is done shitting all over private enterprise in Manitoba, I'd love to see the influx of thousands of office workers drastically turning around the financial prospects of CityPlace, its food court, and anything else within a 5-minute walking radius... convention centre? local bars? Portage Place? The trickle-down effects on local businesses would most definitely make up for lost business - or at least, the businesses that him and Trudeau DIDN'T destroy...

I'm curious, is Shannons still across from the convention centre? That bar, for example, could see drastic influxes of patrons from these three (True/Sandman/Wawa) developments, plus other hotels, convention centre traffic, the coming gentrification and shutdown of the problem establishments (Windsor Hotel) due to bankruptcy, WPS, bedbus and other factors... it will help to cleanup and solidify the western part of Downtown Winnipeg, along with the Great Wall of Memorial developments (Inuit Art Centre, high rise housing, future U of W development) to boost property values and foot traffic considerably.
Shannon's is still there and surprisingly lively, although that was pre pandemic so I have no idea these days. Played a gig there about 2 weeks before total societal meltdown. Wish we could get out of this already, music was my bread and butter
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 4:14 PM

Through a 3rd party witness speaking to their owner, Shannon's is struggling.
Our office won't be back downtown for the foreseeable future. It's that whole - work from home has been productive so we'll keep it that way and save on our commercial rent - corporate mentality.

For the first time in many years, my 3-5 year plan is... foggy. No idea what's coming.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:12 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtWednesday View Post
Through a 3rd party witness speaking to their owner, Shannon's is struggling.
Our office won't be back downtown for the foreseeable future. It's that whole - work from home has been productive so we'll keep it that way and save on our commercial rent - corporate mentality.

For the first time in many years, my 3-5 year plan is... foggy. No idea what's coming.

I know that my office is going entirely to the work from home with a tiny shared meeting room/flex space solution.

They just spent a year paying for a brand new office that was never used during difficult economic times.

I also know that I don't miss spending two hours of my day stuck in traffic; the problem is even worse in larger cities.

That said, I think that it's sad for downtown stores, bars and restaurants.

I suppose downtown now more than ever needs to focus on residential development and on home-growing neighbourhood customers.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Feb 18, 2021 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 6:31 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I know that my office is going entirely to the work from home with a tiny shared meeting room/flex space solution.

They just spent a year paying for a brand new office that was never used during difficult economic times.

I also know that I don't miss spending two hours of my day stuck in traffic; the problem is even worse in larger cities.

That said, I think that it's sad for downtown stores, bars and restaurants.

I suppose downtown now more than ever needs to focus on residential development and on home-growing neighbourhood customers.
Bulldozing Giant Tiger and building a massive pagoda in that place, would be pretty nice...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 3:59 PM
BANNED

So apparently there is a small amount of life at the Sutton site....

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 6:21 PM

Not sure when exactly this happened but the huge space along the skywalk between MLCC and cityplace is now for lease. For the first year+ of TNS being opened it was just blank drywall and seemed like poor planning and design. Must've been using it for staging and don't need it anymore.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 6:28 PM

I wonder how that Liquor Mart is doing? It seems so out of the way and inconvenient. No better than if they had put one on the skywalk level of the Somerset Building or some other place that no one really goes.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 6:31 PM

That LC sucks. Location wise it is brutal to get there, but will get better once the skywalk continues to TNS 3-5 and RBCCC. But it's very small and has a poor selection, I still go to Ellice. Moving out of cityplace was dumb. Shoulda just made an outside door and boom.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 6:37 PM

I've been in there I think twice now and once there was a pretty long line of like 7-8 people and the other time I was the only one. It's a pretty small space though and could easily get filled up I feel like once more people start returning to their offices and working in TNS.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 4:23 PM

Work continues apace on the TNSE patio.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 6:10 PM

The railing choice they went with seems completely out of place and ruins the aesthetics there, I'm surprised TNS approved that. Doesn't look too bad in photos but when you're there it's very obvious it was just slapped on as an afterthought.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 1:32 AM

Is the patio space for public use or will it be private like the space on tower 1?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan