HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 9:50 PM

Cathedral Place | ? m | 10 fl | Proposed

Source

Source

Floorpans pdf.

Info:
- Located at 252-254 James Street North & 207 Hughson Street North
- Double height glass atrium connecting the two heritage buildings on the Cathedral grounds, which will run from James Street to Hughson Street
- A courtyard will be located in the setback space between the new building and Cathedral
- Parking will be underground with 53 parking spaces planned, including the requirement to replace the City’s parking spots
- Designed by David Premi Architects Inc.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 10:38 PM

Neat. I like it, but oh my god I can just hear the complaints from people who live in that neighbourhood already.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 1:05 AM

Yeah, I dunno. I hate to say it but it looks totally out of scale for the neighbourhood. I'm not sure how happy I'd be if that were going up on my street.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 3:33 AM

The idea sounds positive if it will generate money for Christ's Church Cathedral / Niagara Anglican Diocese.
Any details about whether they are getting all of the profit from the development, and any guesses on how much this could generate?

I don't like the image of the facade. A modern boxy design like that would be better suited for a large standalone condo building.
Hughson is basically a residential street here (even though 4 lanes wide and one-way).
I would prefer a design reflecting the cathedral's gothic stone architecture or the neighbouring Victorian red brick housing.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 9:22 AM

It's funny, because if they wanted to build this on any other lot in the city, I'd be overjoyed. I just don't think it works in that neighbourhood.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 3:03 AM

Hamilton Cathedral Place revitalization gets approved by Anglican Diocese of Niagara

http://www.chch.com/hamilton-cathedr...gets-approved/

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 3:34 AM

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 4:29 AM
Ham-burgher

Initially I wasn't so sure about the fit of the mid-rise portion along Hughson, but this whole plan is beginning to intrigue me more and more.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 10:16 AM

I'm just happy they're not knocking it down - how refreshing!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 7:20 PM
Hammer'd

Yeah, I'm a pretty big fan of this project. Some smart intensification going on here.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 10:23 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Is that the existing manse on the left of that rendering? Labeled commercial on the floor plan. I hope that's not coming down and a faux heritage building in its place.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 10:37 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Is that the existing manse on the left of that rendering? Labeled commercial on the floor plan. I hope that's not coming down and a faux heritage building in its place.
pretty sure that's existing.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Neat. I like it, but oh my god I can just hear the complaints from people who live in that neighbourhood already.
I don't live downtown but I think this needs to blend more into the surrounding community buildings. It sticks out like a sore thumb. It looks like those shoe box/ shipping cargo crates looking type condos in downtown Toronto.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebanny View Post
I don't live downtown but I think this needs to blend more into the surrounding community buildings. It sticks out like a sore thumb. It looks like those shoe box/ shipping cargo crates looking type condos in downtown Toronto.
IS the actually happening still?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 11:50 PM

there should be a folder for all the dream projects - maybe labelled Renders to Remember. That would be stuffed filled of projects here

Last edited by King&James; Jun 11, 2017 at 1:32 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 6:01 PM

I'm pretty sure the cathedral bought the city parking lot on Hughson recently so this project may be more alive than we think.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 2:17 AM
Hamilton Historian

it would be nice to be able to go into the"bistro cathedrale" building- to my knowledge it's not open to the public.. only the cathedral.. the cathedral is beautiful inside btw

I did an art piece of this building:

http://shawndall.com/featured/a-chur...hawn-dall.html

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 6:27 PM

Christ's Church to dig up and identify hundreds of bodies buried under its parking lot

Over the years, the graves have been paved over. In some cases, bones were thrown in dumpsters

By Samantha Craggs | September 6, 2017

Hamilton's Christ's Church Cathedral wants to dig up and relocate the remains of about 400 people —including those of many teens and children — buried under a parking lot to make way for a multi-million dollar condo and retail project.

The Very Rev. Peter Wall told councillors today the Niagara Anglican diocese would like to identify and remove the bodies, now buried in "asphalt hell,"  beneath the parking lot of the James Street North church.

Wall says they likely died from illness and disease and their bodies are part of a large burial of 762 graves.

The diocese plans a condo, retail and commercial development around the historic church, which is one of the oldest cathedrals in Canada. The lot is behind the church bordering Hughson Street North.

The diocese has already hired an archaeological firm to help with the project, Wall said.

Many of the 762 graves were lost over the years. Some were unidentified and never had gravestones, he said.

Others were relocated or tossed, said Wall, recalling stories of construction crews over the years that tossed bones in dumpsters.

Now, there are different rules. The relocation will include a nationwide call for next of kin, he said. The church currently has about 25 stones in its basement associated with some of the graves. But many are a mystery.

The redevelopment is necessary to stay in the increasingly expensive James Street North location, Wall said.

Upkeep costs run the congregation of about 300 families as much as $300,000 per year, he said.

"We're in the midst of trying to figure out our future," he said. "We want to stay where we are. It's tough. It's expensive."

The congregation dates back to 1835.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 1:13 AM
Ham-burgher

I was quite shocked to read that earlier today. I'm sure it's not that uncommon, but still. Time to show some respect to the deceased no matter what happens with the proposal itself.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:06 AM

It's interesting but you're right, not terribly unusual. There was that business a few years back in Ancaster. I bet that if you were to dig around any old church you'd find all sorts of goodies.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton