HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 4:30 PM

220-222 Cannon Street East | 44m | 12 fl | Complete

As reported by Joey Coleman:

Quote:
Vrancor Proposes New 12-storey Mixed Commercial-Residential Building on Cannon East

Vrancor, the company of Darko Vranich, is proposing a new 12-storey mixed use building for 220-222 Cannon Street East, the southeast corner of Cathcart and Cannon.

The building will have two floors of commercial without setback. Above this will be 10 stories of residential with a setback from Cannon Street in the front, and further setbacks in the rear to maintain the character of Cathcart.

The proposed 10-stories of residents will contain 100-apartments.

Overall, the building is proposed to be 44 metres in height.

Parking requirements are being decreased for the building, with a planned 67 parking spots: 25 underground, 12 at ground level, and 30 on the second floor.

Road Widening

There is a requirement for all new developments along Cannon (and other one-way streets) to be setback further from the street than existing buildings to allow for a further expansion of the four-lane urban highway.

The Beasley Neighbourhood Association is on the recording opposing the expansion of Downtown’s numerous urban highways.

Design Review Panel

The proposal completed the Development Review Committee stage of formal consultation and will now be reviewed by the City’s new Design Review Panel before going forth to Council’s Planning Committee.

DRP will review the proposal to ensure its design is complementary to the neighbourhood and offer advice to improve the design.
Source

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 4:45 PM

great news. Development in the east end. New apartments. Any connection to the new stadium?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
great news. Development in the east end. New apartments. Any connection to the new stadium?
Sorry this is downtown in the core. Not close to the stadium. This is between Ferguson and Wellington.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 5:52 PM

Love this snark from Joey: "...to allow for a further expansion of the four-lane urban highway"

How about fewer lanes on Cannon?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 5:57 PM

This is currently a parking lot on the southeast corner of Cannon and Cathcart.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Love this snark from Joey: "...to allow for a further expansion of the four-lane urban highway"

How about fewer lanes on Cannon?
Snarky, but not necessarily accurate. This stretch of Cannon is being reconfigured to accommodate bicycle lanes. The pilot starts later this year. The allowance is prudent to allow for the final configuration of what has the potential to be the first complete street in Hamilton.

Its too easy to slip onto cynicism in Hamilton.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
...Its too easy to slip onto cynicism in Hamilton.
But that's the thing...it's only a PILOT!

Will Hamilton ever evolve out of its 1950's-style governance and embrace urbanism? Will the worship of the car and parking ever cease? Apparently there is city hall bureaucratic push-back against limiting parking at the proposed Tivoli building.

When I moved here I was very excited about the future and potential of this city. I still have much of that, but it's been tempered by observing the current crop of politicians and their civil service.

I look forward to being less cynical.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Snarky, but not necessarily accurate. This stretch of Cannon is being reconfigured to accommodate bicycle lanes. The pilot starts later this year. The allowance is prudent to allow for the final configuration of what has the potential to be the first complete street in Hamilton.

Its too easy to slip onto cynicism in Hamilton.
I will presume that markbarbera has more information than I do, hence his statement that I'm not accurate about the setback requirement.

The developer is citing the bike track as a reason why there will be no future road widening. The bike track will use one of the excess lanes of traffic.

To enact the road widening, the City will need to expropriate all homes (and the Welly Tavern) on Cannon.

There's simply no money for this and it's time for the City to drop this condition that is stopping development downtown.

In terms of it being "snark", I state it as it is. The street functions as an urban highway.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyColeman View Post
...The developer is citing the bike track as a reason why there will be no future road widening. The bike track will use one of the excess lanes of traffic...
This is weirdly ironic, to me. I love the fact that a developer is the entity that may finally bring an end to the "future road widening" idiocy. An unintended outcome to be sure, but given the power of developers in this city this is just great!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 7:22 PM
Hammer'd

I'm having trouble imaging anything being built on that stretch of Cannon, especially right next door to the Welly but it's still a great idea. I'm sure the Cannon Street cycle track will help improve the optics at least.

Thanks for the write up, Joey.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 7:51 PM

Quote:
But that's the thing...it's only a PILOT!

Will Hamilton ever evolve out of its 1950's-style governance and embrace urbanism? Will the worship of the car and parking ever cease? Apparently there is city hall bureaucratic push-back against limiting parking at the proposed Tivoli building.

When I moved here I was very excited about the future and potential of this city. I still have much of that, but it's been tempered by observing the current crop of politicians and their civil service.

I look forward to being less cynical.
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 8:13 PM

Quote:
I will presume that markbarbera has more information than I do, hence his statement that I'm not accurate about the setback requirement.
I am not questioning the accuracy about a setback requirement, I am questioning the accuracy in equating this with a desire to maintain an urban highway street function on Cannon. The recent council decision on how to transform Cannon runs contrary to this presumption. Once upon a time, the setback would have been reserved with the intent of adding extra lanes to its current format, but that time is gone. As this (and hopefully more urban streets) move more towards a complete street format, it is just as, if not more important to preserve setback allowances so that multi-modal transportation (bike lanes, transitways, wide sidewalk) can be accommodated in the future.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 8:17 PM

Quote:
I am not questioning the accuracy about a setback requirement, I am questioning the accuracy in equating this with a desire to maintain an urban highway street function on Cannon. The recent council decision on how to transform Cannon runs contrary to this presumption. Once upon a time, the setback would have been reserved with the intent of adding extra lanes to its current format, but that time is gone. As this (and hopefully more urban streets) move more towards a complete street format, it is just as, if not more important to preserve setback allowances so that multi-modal transportation (bike lanes, transitways, wide sidewalk) can be accommodated in the future.
Thanks Mark,

The road-widening requirement is based upon the old way of thinking, it is still on the books, and it is the big stumbling block for this development at present.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I'm having trouble imaging anything being built on that stretch of Cannon, especially right next door to the Welly but it's still a great idea. I'm sure the Cannon Street cycle track will help improve the optics at least.

Thanks for the write up, Joey.
I looked at the concepts, they fit onto the vacant property. It's a nice first concept, I expect some improvements from Design Review.

Vrancor is building, I have no reason to doubt the sincerity of the proposal

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 8:36 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian

Quote:
Vrancor is building, I have no reason to doubt the sincerity of the proposal
Does Vrancor even bother waiting for approval or sales? It really doesn't seem like it.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 8:42 PM
Hammer'd

I used to have some pretty bad opinions toward Vrancor about 6 years ago but there's no denying the fact that they've been putting their money where their mouth is lately with the new builds around Main and Caroline, so I definitely do take this proposal seriously. The Wellington Tavern next to it is a really neat heritage building, so I hope their design will compliment it in some way. This will be a very different architectural style than they have been doing on Main Street, thats for sure.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 8:55 PM

The road widening allowance was written into bylaw at a point in time where large scale demolitions were common and it was foreseen that a lot of older homes would be knocked down soon. That isn't the reality today as the era of blockbusting is over. It is almost inconceivable that the City would expropriate thousands of brick houses that are built to the lot line on Cannon to widen what is already an overkill for traffic and still will be with the bike lanes. The future didn't shape up the way it was imagined when the bylaw was written. Now it's preventing good tax-paying development so it's time to get rid of the bylaw.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 8:55 PM

This sounds great! Anything around Wellington is welcome because it needs a ton of help.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 9:08 PM

Hope you're right, Jon. I can just hear certain "mountain" councilors loudly opposing the killing-off of the bylaw. "You never know when we're going to need those roads!"

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Hope you're right, Jon. I can just hear certain "mountain" councilors loudly opposing the killing-off of the bylaw. "You never know when we're going to need those roads!"
The Beasley Neighbourhood Association wrote a letter to Council in July --- DISCLOSURE: I'm a BNA mbr and involved in discussion -- asking that the bylaw be repealed to allow for good developments to move forward. The letter is referred to Planning Cmte and should be on the August planning agenda.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton