HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 11:42 PM

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 12:05 AM
Leftist Correctist

Honestly I was expecting much worse. Considering the absolute batshit crazy political twilight zone weve been living through I was prepared to read some "real American" Trumper types speculating high speed rail was a George Soros pitch for new world order mind control... and of course, communism. Or that the noise causes cancer, kills cows or makes you gay. I mean, really, would that hysterical nonsense surprise anyone at this point?

Last edited by Busy Bee; Dec 4, 2020 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 1:22 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
The sole remaining government issue remaining for Texas Central to jump through is approval from the United States Surface Transportation Board, which in its entire history has never opposed a railway project.

Yet the Texas Monthly suggests the STB may not approve it. Really?
What sand hill do they have their heads buried into?

Wiki on Surface Transportation Board
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfac...ortation_Board

The Board has wide discretion, through its exemption authority from federal, state and local laws, to tailor its regulatory activities to meet the nation's changing transportation needs.
The Board provides a forum for the resolution of surface-transportation disputes and other matters within its jurisdiction. It has the authority to limit or remove regulatory requirements where appropriate.

The STB has 5 members on its board, presently three appointed by Obama and two appointed by Trump. Biden will soon be President. The idea that the STB will oppose HSR is laughable.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Monthly
Four days after Abbott penned his letter, his staff walked back his support, telling the Dallas Morning News that the governor intended to reevaluate his position out of concern for Texans’ property rights and because he was provided with “incomplete” information about the project.
...of course he did. Like the pandemic, he has to check with his core constinciency to see where the wind will blow him.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:30 PM
Leftist Correctist

Also to evaluate the risk to his or his families life by some armed rightwing freedom stormer. #ThisCountryIsFuckingInsane

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 11:25 PM

It will be interesting to see if and when Texas Central is able to raise money to build the rail and buy equipment. They've stated that they won't use tax money and I don't see public infrastructure as an attractive investment for private investors. Brightline couldn't even sell bonds for the Las Vegas high speed train with government backing.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 1:10 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
It will be interesting to see if and when Texas Central is able to raise money to build the rail and buy equipment. They've stated that they won't use tax money and I don't see public infrastructure as an attractive investment for private investors. Brightline couldn't even sell bonds for the Las Vegas high speed train with government backing.
Brightline's Victorville to Las Vegas line would be a partial service, investors should be leery of an incomplete railroad service. Just look at the nearby CHSR line.

Texas Central line would be complete, connecting train stations in both Dallas and Houston. They already reportedly have around half the funds committed, and half the right of way purchased. They have the money in hand to purchase the remaining land, and once that has been purchased it should not be too difficult to find the remaining half of the funding. Slowly, but surely, Texas Central has been aligning all its ducks in a row, piece by piece. Once all the preparations are done, i expect dirt to be flying, concrete being poured, and rails being laid.

I made a similar posting about CHSR "not" having all its ducks in a row, starting the build even before all the EIS and other preparations for the entire main route was completed. Even government has problems finding money for a complete route when all the preparations are not finished. Likewise with Brightline, they really need a compete route if they plan on getting all their funding privately, even with government backed bonds.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Brightline's Victorville to Las Vegas line would be a partial service, investors should be leery of an incomplete railroad service. Just look at the nearby CHSR line.

Texas Central line would be complete, connecting train stations in both Dallas and Houston. They already reportedly have around half the funds committed, and half the right of way purchased. They have the money in hand to purchase the remaining land, and once that has been purchased it should not be too difficult to find the remaining half of the funding. Slowly, but surely, Texas Central has been aligning all its ducks in a row, piece by piece. Once all the preparations are done, i expect dirt to be flying, concrete being poured, and rails being laid.

I made a similar posting about CHSR "not" having all its ducks in a row, starting the build even before all the EIS and other preparations for the entire main route was completed. Even government has problems finding money for a complete route when all the preparations are not finished. Likewise with Brightline, they really need a compete route if they plan on getting all their funding privately, even with government backed bonds.
Ducks in a row is great but passenger rail doesn’t make much money, if any, and the capital investment is huge. All of the agreements that they have in place with private companies and Japanese banks are contingent upon them having investors. I’m hoping to see more than reportedly being funded. We’ll see but this will be amazing if it gets built with all private money.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation