HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 6:17 PM

E-jets are the only reason I even consider Air Crapanda.

Oh well - use up my Aeroplan points and give them a return flying middle finger of fate.

And tell Aeroplan why.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 6:27 PM

Quote:
EIA ‏@FlyEIA
We're loving the new @WestJet logo on the 767 used on the #yeg-Maui route, and soon the #yeg-London!
https://twitter.com/FlyEIA

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 6:31 PM

Edmonton International Airport

Passenger Statistics for December 2015 --

Highlights:

§ Terminal Traffic: 625,236 passengers (7,280,920 Annual)
Q Domestic 469,059 passengers (5,526,985 Annual)
Q Transborder 100,052 passengers (1,228,134 Annual)
Q International 56,125 passengers (525,801 Annual)

§ FBO Traffic*: 36,722 passengers (741,676 Annual)

§ Grand Total: Overall 661,958 passengers (8,022,596 Annual)

Growth%:

§ Terminal: 1.7% (-0.7% Annual)
Q Domestic 7.6% (0.5% Annual)
Q Transborder -19.8% (-10.5% Annual)
Q International 4% (14.5% Annual)

§ FBO Traffic: -31.9% (-18.3% Annual)

§ Grand Total: Overall -1.0% (-2.6% Annual)

*FBO passengers are passengers using the fixed base operators at YEG and not the main terminal. Most of this traffic serves energy and mining projects in the north.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 7:35 PM

^ Considering the economy and AC's continued and persistent neglect of this market, I'm really pleased (and impressed) with those numbers.

EIA gettin' us there!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 7:44 PM

Sounds like there is an error in the pax report, a new one is to be sent out soon according to EIA.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post

Oh well - use up my Aeroplan points and give them a return flying middle finger of fate.

And tell Aeroplan why.
I've got a shitload of Aeroplan points too, enough to fly first class to Europe and back, but I might as well spend it all on a home theatre system or something.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 9:13 PM

Hear you, especially as you can't fly to Europe on AC from Edmonton anymore.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
The E-Jets apparently have maintenance issues, which is why AC is trying to move away from the type. If Bombardier wanted to take possession of a bunch of slightly used E-Jets they could sell C-Series to AC. I'm not sure their books could handle that transaction though.
Has to do with the GE CF34 engines. Jetblue has also been on record about the maintenance issues.

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-a...raer-190-costs

Btw, Delta has acquired the 20 ex. AC E190s from Boeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
The E-Jets apparently had a hell of time when AC first got them dealing with cold weather. From a pax perspective I love the 190 though, 2x2 and lots of room.
Indeed the jungle jets didn't like the Canadian winters too much at the beginning ! Initial issues were corrected with modifications, mostly software related.

Can't blame the Brazilians, what do they know about proper winters !

(E)verything
(M)echanically
(B)roken
(R)equires
(A)n
(E)lectrical
(R)estart

At one point the crews had fondly re-designated the E170/190s as the E180...that is....taxi from the gate to runway, only to have to do a 180 degree turn and return to the gate !

In all seriousness, it was small stuff. AC was very pleased with the dispatch reliability of the E190s.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Jan 14, 2016 at 2:52 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post

And tell Aeroplan why.
If you bank with TD (or have a TD Visa)... feel free to tell them why as well. I did when I switched do a different travel rewards card.

(and I used to be a big Air Canada supporter... I simply can't when I prefer to fly direct and have zero options here unless I'm going to Toronto or Vancouver).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I've got a shitload of Aeroplan points too, enough to fly first class to Europe and back, but I might as well spend it all on a home theatre system or something.
Then fly to Europe in business class as i don't think anyone offers 1st class to Europe. Well maybe LH from YYZ or YVR. If you are fed up with Aeroplan and AC then the best way to take advantage of them is to use your points on flights. If you buy anything else like a home theater system then they get the last laugh. This has been proven and well documented for some time. Business class flights are probably the best Aeroplan deal around but yes you need to book in advance and be flexible.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 3:57 AM

Actually as of late I find sometimes the best bank for Aeroplan points is booking 4* hotels. Used it in Munich and Chicago during busy times. Munich hotels were averaging 600$ per night stayed four nights at le Meridian and used 90,000 points.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 5:32 AM

^I am flying business class to Europe this May for 90,000 points plus $600 in fees. The ticket cost at the time of purchase was about $3,500 and currently is around $4,000 if i had purchased today.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 2:51 PM

Well there's the prime example. We couldn't do that on either even as we planned far out as the seats were booked. Hotels still a good side option to deplete my account. Almost done l, then time to deplete mileage plus at United.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
Then fly to Europe in business class as i don't think anyone offers 1st class to Europe. Well maybe LH from YYZ or YVR.
LH has eliminated first class on all 747-400 aircraft. And they are all based out of FRA.

Only the A333, A346, A388 and B748s have first class. So out of YVR and YYZ, the flights to FRA don't have first. The seasonal flights to MUC do, and so does the year round MUC to YUL.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...lass-capacity/

Not many first class equipped birds flying from Canada to Europe these days.

LX and LH (year round to MUC) at YUL
BA and LH (seasonal to MUC) at YVR
BA (not all flights) and LH (seasonal to MUC) at YYZ

Air France doesn't send First class to Canada.

EI, KL, AZ, DE, AY, TK, LO, OS, FI and SN dont carry First class.

If anyone wants to fly First, my recommendation to burn Aeroplan miles is on the new Swiss 77W, that will grace the skies of YUL as of March 27 for a limited period. There should be plenty of open seats up front, because the route is mostly for crew training on the 77W and YUL can't handle 8 First and 62 Business class seats to Zurich.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...tes-announced/

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Jan 14, 2016 at 4:56 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Not many first class equipped birds flying from Canada to Europe these days.
Only Middle East carriers (plus Singapore) have true first class cabins now. Rest are all scaling back or eliminating them completely. In some ways, North America and Europe has become the third world of the airline industry.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 6:37 PM

^ I have flown first class on CX back in 2011 from Toronto to HK using my AA points. It felt like an upgraded business class experience.

SQ and the EY (much more than EK) have a much better J product than that of CX.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 8:18 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I've been at a loss to spend my remaining points. Was actually looking at some Bose headphones and a Breville blender the other night on their site...

I got rid of my Aerogold CIBC card a couple years ago and switched to Aventura. Aeroplan drove me me f@cking insane. Everytime I wanted to book a flight (off weekend, off peak, anytime) there was always a reason why they didn't have seats unless I wanted to convert at a ridiculous rate for 'market seats'. And that is the tip of the iceberg. The additional fees, the fees to transfer points, the service quality (at times)... Needless to say, I am very happy to be done with it, but need to use up my remaining points and forget about it.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz39 View Post
Only Middle East carriers (plus Singapore) have true first class cabins now. Rest are all scaling back or eliminating them completely. In some ways, North America and Europe has become the third world of the airline industry.
Its been that way for over a decade. Flying any middle east carrier or Singapore and you will see a huge difference.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_business View Post
I've been at a loss to spend my remaining points. Was actually looking at some Bose headphones and a Breville blender the other night on their site...

I got rid of my Aerogold CIBC card a couple years ago and switched to Aventura. Aeroplan drove me me f@cking insane. Everytime I wanted to book a flight (off weekend, off peak, anytime) there was always a reason why they didn't have seats unless I wanted to convert at a ridiculous rate for 'market seats'. And that is the tip of the iceberg. The additional fees, the fees to transfer points, the service quality (at times)... Needless to say, I am very happy to be done with it, but need to use up my remaining points and forget about it.
I am in the same boat as you. Dropped the aeroplan card a couple years ago for that same reason.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_business View Post

I still have an Aeroplan credit card, hence why I keep racking up points. Let me know how Aventura or other travel reward programs are like.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton